Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 179 total)
  • What's the worst album you ever bought?
  • beanum

Neither Fish nor Fowl by Terence Trent d’Arby…

I heard “The Simple Life” by Chamberlain on the Odd Man Out soundtrack, awesome song even now, makes me think of snowboarding in powder whenever I hear it.
    I was in London with work one day, popped into Tower Records and they had the album so I bought it on a whim. It was a US import, nearly £20 back in ’98 and it was rubbish. One good song, which I already had….:-(

fasthaggis

First one that came to mind..

At the time I was tempted by ‘Do you Realize'(which now annoys me,if I hear it).
    Pretentious pile of poo.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

the winner, which I am mortally embarrassed to admit to buying, was Manowar – Triumph of Steel. Diabolical stuff.

Ha, you must be a follower of false metal. Or something.

colournoise

Yoshimi… is fantastic.

Another shamed owner of Pocketful Of Kryptonite here, but I think my worst offender might be…

…I have NO idea how and why I bought that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Girls at Our Best – Pleasure. Bought the album after hearing Fast Boyfriends.

The rest of the album was a huge disappointment to a 15 year old ‘punk’. Think I played it once.

I still have it if anyone would like to buy it off me 🙂

curto80
    Free Member

In a World of Babybird, Kula Shaker, the Electric Soft Parade and Elastica, I cannot believe that people are having a go at the seahorses album.

Headmusic by Suede still kills me now. Such a let down after the genius of its predecessor.

skellnonch
    Free Member

IHN

You’re dissing Elastica?!

Outside pal.

ransos
    Free Member

At the time I was tempted by ‘Do you Realize'(which now annoys me,if I hear it).
    Pretentious pile of poo.

Yoshimi is a brilliant album. This however:

Coming after Deserter’s Songs and All Is Dream, was an enormous let down.

fatmax

Yoshimi is a brilliant album

+1…it makes my top ten!

Gary_M
    Free Member

The Vice Squad one, is that not the cover of Last Rockers EP. I can’t remember what they even sounded like, might listen to that EP tonight.

lunge

jagged little pill – alanis morrisette.
    played it once. bloody awful. still not sure why i bought it.

Odd. That is definitely in my top 20 albums, possible the top 10. The acoustic version is awesome on a hangover.

doris5000

You’re dissing Elastica?!

Outside pal.

😆

Elastica were sinfully poor and that one song that people quite liked turned out to be a massive rip off that got them sued! Bin!

skellnonch
    Free Member

The Vice Squad one, is that not the cover of Last Rockers EP.

oops may have posted the wrong one… it was their 1st album maybe No cause for Concern? The production was shocking, real shame as I was really looking forward to it coming out, got it home & it sounded rough as a badgers 🙁

doris5000

Ha, you must be a follower of false metal. Or something.

I never did work out what False Metal was.

Heard a good anecdote about at one festival, Manowar insisted on being able to ride Harley Davidsons onto the stage for their big entrance. Cue a huge palaver getting the bikes shipped in, loaded backstage etc, for the band to ride them about 10m at a walking pace, before a load of roadies had to come and wheel them off again 😆

(they later held everyone up from leaving when the merch stand – which they had supplied with 2,000 t-shirts – then had to count back in and account for 1,997 unsold Manowar shirts)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Seahorses were ok but listening to it these days I’m kinda glad they sacked it off after 1 (and a half, kinda) albums. Such middle of the road, easy listening, Squire self indulgent crap. Its almost as bad as the Brown self indulgent crap that he came out with. At least that was so electronically altered you could hardly make out it was him ‘singing’.

nickc

kula shaker….I’d wiped them from my memory..thanks for that… 😆

stumpy01

Oooooh, just remembered another seeing the St Anger Metallica post…

Death Magnetic by Metallica…

I honestly haven’t listened to the whole thing because the production of it is so awful. It’s like they pushed all the dials into the red by accident & only realised too late in the day. It’s a widely reported issue, which apparently doesn’t appear on the Guitar Hero versions of the tracks because they were done separately from the CD release.

I saw an interview with Lars Ulrich where he says that it was supposed to be like that and (to paraphrase) the haters don’t know what they’re talking about.

Waveform image from Wikipedia (by Stormwatch)
    The top one is the CD waveform compared to the Guitar Hero tracks.

DezB
    Free Member

I still have it if anyone would like to buy it off me

Tempted..!

DezB
    Free Member

how about:

Mansun – Attack of the Grey Lantern

Oh crikey, that was bad – it was his voice! Awful. The first few singles were ok (Wide Open Space), but a whole album of it Sheesh! Apparently they have a devoted fanbase who still have Mansun conventions and stuff. Sad bastards.

eddie11
    Free Member

the features (who?)

Saw them support kings of leon and they were amazing, one of the best supports i’ve ever seen. I thought these guys are going to be massive. bought the album immediately… it was awful. middle of the road mush. no tunes. no hooks, no ideas, meh. I still can’t explain the disparity. i wasnt even drunk.

prawny

Either.

An album I cant remember the name of by The Juliana Theory. It was recommended to me by Amazon back in the day, and they’d got a couple right but my god it was a bag of ass. I think I listened to half of it before I put it back on the shelf. It’s still there now.

Or

The better Life by 3 Doors Down, off the back of the song from American Pie the Wedding, utter drivel. According to Wikipedia its Post Grunge, but it’s just shit.

iolo
    Free Member

Roger Waters
    Music from the body

Just dire

gobuchul
    Free Member

Antony and the Johnsons – I am a bird now.

Dreadful.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few albums over the years that I’ve taken a punt on and not been impressed by, but I always took it on the chin and – in a money-wasting kind of way – it was part of the fun.

The Outsider – DJ Shadow

^THIS, however, was a huge and genuine disappointment, even after tempering my high expectations.

BoardinBob

Every Foo Fighters after the 1st. The next few albums had a few decent singles with the rest being absolute sonic magnolia. The latest albums have been just bland beyond all belief.

neilcain
    Free Member

*sigh*

retro83
    Free Member

“I Speak Because I Can” by Laura Marling.

I quite liked the poppy folky “Alas, I Cannot Swim” but ISBIC was just depressing, boring, self-indulgent shite.

DezB
    Free Member

I know someone who would’ve bought this –

😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hey Retro83, im with you on ISBIC, however she redeemed herself significantly with the Live From York Minster release that was included with A Creature I Don’t Know…

lesgrandepotato

Clearly the answer to this is the Spaghetti Incident by Guns and Roses.

ChrisL

One Hot Minute by the Chili Peppers. I already had and liked Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Californication and By the Way so I thought I should fill in the gap. Thankfully I got it from Fopp who had a generous returns policy.

Runners up include BMRC by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Whatever Happened To My Rock ‘N’ Roll was not typical of the album), some album by Alannah Myles (Black Velvet was OK, the rest of the album far below it) and Fear Yourself by Daniel Johnston (bought because it was produced by Sparklehorse’s Mark Linkous, but almost impossible to listen to all the way though).

kimbers

I got the Weezer album, coz I liked Hash Pipe

the rest of the album did not float my boat

egb81
    Free Member

Another vote for DJ Shadow – The Outsider. I don’t think I even made it through three songs.

Can’t believe someone was dissing Biohazard though. State of the World Address is a classic.

thomthumb
    Free Member

limp bizkit. 😳

I loved them when i was 15. I bought the first album as a US import for £23.99 – still the most expensive album i’ve bought.

I just looked at an inflation calculator and that’s £38 today. 38 quid. 😯

although i also bought the rest of their output, and it only got worse. So probably their later stuff.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I loved Offramp by Pat Methany.
    I saw Song X and bought it. I found I don’t like free jazz. Well not at the price I paid for it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

jagged little pill – alanis morrisette.
    played it once. bloody awful. still not sure why i bought it.
    Odd. That is definitely in my top 20 albums, possible the top 10. The acoustic version is awesome on a hangover.

Genuine LOL sorry!

gallowayboy

As a callow 18 yr old I loved simple minds new gold dream. I then bought sparkle in the rain. Urgh. Awful. I saw them for what they were, pedlars of pomp.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

A Sandy Denny live album. She was pissed and inaudible. The only truly audible sound she made was falling off her stool.
    Titter they did not. I think most of the audience had left already.

unklehomered
    Free Member

As a teenager I bought a lightening seeds album having heard a song on the radio.

By the gods it was dreary and awful.

One Hot Minute by the Chili Peppers

Seriously? not listened for a while but I consider that the last truly good album they did, as Califorificawhatsit was sowing the seeds of a decline into mediocrity that still seems to be going to this day… (different Guitarist though IIRC so had a very different feel)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘What's the worst album you ever bought?’ is closed to new replies.