Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)
  • What's the worst album you ever bought?
  • IHN

Prompted by something that just popped up on a Spotify playlist.

What’s the worst album you’ve ever bought, on purpose, with real actual money, full price (so speculative bin-end purchases don’t count).

I’m going to go with Kate Nash “Made of Bricks”. Bought off the back of hearing Foundations as a single. Immediately apparent that the rest of the album was dreadful and, having just heard Foundations on Spotify for the first time in ages, I realise that it’s actually pretty dreadful too.

ton

someone bought me a santana album, and tickets to see them. god knows why i went……. 🙁

martinhutch

God knows what I was thinking.

Somebody bought me Candy O by The Cars, which was a terrible moment as well. Not least unwrapping the somewhat risque album cover in front of my nan.

johndoh
    Free Member

Martinhutch has it. I saw them on the second stage at Glastonbury the year before that came out and they were amazing – I couldn’t understand why they were first on in the morning with such skills. Then they released that and now I know.

Stoner
    Free Member

The XX

martinhutch

They played Skipton Auction Mart recently. From Glasto to a concrete bunker covered in cow poop. Pop – it’s a shit business, as Les McQueen would say.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Sahara Hotnights, thought they were ace at a festival at 10am once.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

nbt

Yeah, I thought the same about Kate Nash. Having heard the first single from it, I didn’t even bother listening to Metallica’s Lulu, never mind buy it

allan23
    Free Member

REM Monster.

Bought it after hearing What’s The Frequency Kenneth and thinking they’d got good again.

Rest of the album was sh!t.

copa
    Free Member

This. I blame Q magazine.

lunge

One of the sad things about the way we stream music now is that younger people will no longer experience spending £12 or so on a crap album.

The OP’s story is a familiar one, 1 or 2 good singles get released and you think it’s worth a punt. Or maybe a radio DJ or The NME rated it. Either way, you’re wrong, there are 2 good tracks on the entire album. I reckon I’ve got 50 CD’s that fall into that category.

The Seahorses album springs to mind, terrible album, the single wasn’t even that good in hindsight.

There’s a Death in Vegas album that fits the same bill, terrible album, 1 good track.

davosaurusrex

Alisha’s Attic – Alisha Rules The World. Just **** dreadful.

darrell
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Occassionally, back in my NME reading days, I’d take a punt and buy something based on a review. These were the days when I could only afford 1 album a month… I was so pissed off when I listened to this limp-wristed drivel –

Also, I remember buying Ice-T’s rock album, “Body Count” (slight contrast to the above!). Took it back to HMV. “Why do you want to exchange it?” “Cos it’s horrible crap” “Fair enough”.

slimjim78
    Free Member

REM Monster.

Bought it after hearing What’s The Frequency Kenneth and thinking they’d got good again.

Rest of the album was sh!t.

Funny, it’s one of my fave REM albums. In fact, I still remember purchasing the CD at HMV Hounslow in 1994.. (have it on vinyl now also).
    Strange Currencies, Crush with Eyeliner, Star 69, Kenneth, Bang and Blame, all really good tracks.
    Granted, a departure from earlier style, but I like the fuzzy feedback feel.

Anyway, my vote (among many contenders): Len – You cant stop the bum rush.

Sang Steal my Sunshine one night at karaoke, had fun, bought the album. A low point of my musical life.

doris5000

lots of dodgy 90s metal – key contenders would have to be

Anthrax – Stomp 442
    Misery Loves Co – Misery Loves Co
    Biohazard – State of the World Address

but the winner, which I am mortally embarrassed to admit to buying, was Manowar – Triumph of Steel. Diabolical stuff. God knows what I was thinking – in my defence, I was about 13….

edit: That Biohazard album really was **** dreadful though. My god.

cinnamon_girl

someone bought me a santana album, and tickets to see them. god knows why i went..

😯

stumpy01

Kanye West – College Dropout. I bought it, around 2005 ‘cos I liked All Falls Down & Jesus Walks. Rest of the album is rubbish, as is virtually everything else I’ve heard from him since.

Gorillaz first album – Gorillaz, mainly because I liked Clint Eastwood. Dirge.

(sorry, the request was for worst album, but I couldn’t decide).

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Idle Race, nearly fifty years ago. The details are forgotten, the hurt lives on.

ourmaninthenorth

Kaiser Chief’s first album (Employment?).

Very, very average.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

When I Was Born For The 7th Time by Cornershop. One of those purchases under the impression that Brimful Of Asha was quite a catchy tune, the whole album would be the same. It wasn’t. Unbelievably I don’t own the album anymore and since I never throw music away but sell quite a bit, that must mean someone else actually bought it from me!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

When I Was Born For The 7th Time by Cornershop

IIRC they moaned that nobody understood them and that people were only really buying their single because Fatboy Slim did a remix.

To be fair they might have had a point.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anyway, back on track.

Babylon Zoo, can’t remember the title. It was utter tosh.

I feel slightly ashamed.

nickc

Pocket full of Kryptonite by Spin Doctors, on the strength of Two Princes, dreadful

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…in so many ways!

I have an SACD capable player, so have been keeping my eye out for purchasing an SACD for some time. Finally found this in a store in Delft. Of all the SACDs it was the only one I thought I’d not hate. I didn’t know what it was, but I figured I’d at least enjoy the experience of discovering the DSD encoding sound.

First I had to deal with the owner who was a tosspot. Next I had to pay quite a significant sum. Then I travelled a couple of hours home to discover the disc was not in the box. I wasted several days to receive the disc (which he did at least post out FOC), and discovered that my player is only going to read the CD layer of the dual format disc, no matter what I do.

Lastly- it’s ducking awful , pretentious twaddle! Ok they’re clearly skilled but hell’s bells juat play something with some semblance of a tune, please sometimes, would you?

Not been this annoyed since…. Well, the Chili’s post Californication.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

When I Was Born For The 7th Time by Cornershop.

Thanks for reminding me about that,I forgot it’s in my collection..
    It’s all subjective,I’ve never been a U2 fan but I bought Joshua Tree when it was all over the airwaves,I reckon I’ve played it twice.The second time to confirm my doubts… 😥

Pocket full of Kryptonite by Spin Doctors,

That one’s also in the collection,it got played more than ‘Joshua tree’ 😆

IHN

Pocket full of Kryptonite by Spin Doctors, on the strength of Two Princes, dreadful

I’ve got that, it’s not masterpiece but as a harmless bit of 90s poppy college rock it’s not too bad. IMO, obvs 🙂

WillH

3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of… by Arrested Development. On cassette.

It was the first album I ever bought with my own money. Quite liked Mr Wendal, but the rest was shit. Made me realise that hip-hop/R&B wasn’t for me 🙂

Next albums purchased were Aerosmith’s Get a Grip and Metallica’s Black album, still two of my all-time favourites.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Maverick A Strike by Finley Quaye – bought on the back of someones recommendation, not one of my wisest choices. Stick to what you know and like.

+1 on the Cornershop garbage. Post Achtung Baby U2 – In fact U2 were the reason I stopped trying to impress girls by liking their music. Glasgow, Celtic Park concerts back in the early 90’s. Unfortunately not the night PJ Harvey was supporting. All it did was give me sore feet and a disdain for stadium rock

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

This is a close second. I understand he was threatened with torture if he didn’t write it, so it is somewhat understandable that the experience is so tortuous. This at least was only a couple of quid.

WRT Toploader, I think that they, muchlike Rootjoose probably wasted their talent on vast quantities of grade-A ganja.

Rootjoose’s first album was still amazing 😛

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

jagged little pill – alanis morrisette.

played it once. bloody awful. still not sure why i bought it.

BoardinBob

So bad it was almost funny

dragon
    Free Member

Pocket full of Kryptonite by Spin Doctors,

+1 that Was the first thing that sprung in to my head.

But as it’s been done already how about:

Mansun – Attack of the Grey Lantern

or

Dog Eat Dog – All Boro Kings

mudshark
    Free Member

Brimful Of Asha was quite a catchy tune

That song is my worst ever earworm.

I bough Busta Rhymes Genesis as loved Break Ya Neck, can’t listen to the rest really – some of it’s a bit rude too….

muzzle
    Free Member

Spartacus by The Farm. Bought it on the day of release, gave it away the following day.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Dog Eat Dog – All Boro Kings

Crap, forgot about that……jesus there was some bad music in the 90’s

pondo

I’ve got that, it’s not masterpiece but as a harmless bit of 90s poppy college rock it’s not too bad. IMO, obvs

+1, I quite like it. 🙂

matplant
    Free Member

The Outsider – DJ Shadow – truly awful

bigdaddy

Collision course by linkin park and jz- was really into linkin park, but that was such a piece of crap! All the good songs cut up and destroyed…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘What's the worst album you ever bought?’ is closed to new replies.