Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)
  • What's the worst album you ever bought?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Yep: state of the world address was a cracking album.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

This was pretty awful.

DezB
    Free Member

As a callow 18 yr old I loved simple minds new gold dream. I then bought sparkle in the rain. Urgh. Awful. I saw them for what they were, pedlars of pomp.

There’s been a recent reissue of New Gold Dream – it was given a rave positive review by Uncut, saying it hasn’t dated! What?! 👿

RustySpanner

Gun’s & Roses Greatest Hits.

A couple of months ago as I needed change for the photo booth.

Not aged well.
    Some ok songs ruined by Waxl’s voice and awful production.

edlong
    Free Member

Add my name to the list of disappointed Pocketful of Kryptonite owners. And that Limp Bizkit one. And the second Kula Shaker (I liked the first)

But the worst for me was the New Radicals – they had that one hit (“Get up what you give” or some such garbage). Not good.

And One Hot Minute is the last interesting thing RHCP did really – Californication sounded okay at the time but with hindsight was the start of them becoming mind-numbingly dull. And yes, different guitarist – Dave Navarro, better known as guitarist for Jane’s Addiction.

doris5000

Yep: state of the world address was a cracking album.

honestly guys, go back and listen to ‘Five Blocks To The Subway’ (hey, it’s Friday night). Listen to the lyrics. It’s just awful!

I liked it at the time. I even paid extra to get the limited orange CD case. But I was wrong. 😆 There’s a lot of 90’s metal that hasn’t aged well (see also: Fear Factory) but that one’s particularly bad!

Seriously? not listened for a while but I consider that the last truly good album they did, as Califorificawhatsit was sowing the seeds of a decline into mediocrity that still seems to be going to this day…

this is my position on One Hot Minute too. But I should probably listen again, it’s been a while. I won’t be listening to Californication in a hurry though…was so disappointed when I got that home (on the day it came out!)

Coyote
    Free Member

Mansun – Attack of the Grey Lantern

I quite liked it.

Iron Maiden – 7th Son has not aged particularly well at all.

oafishb
    Free Member

Aphex Twin’s ‘Druqks’ was a benchmark in audience contempt.
    Menswear’s album was hideous. I’m not sure what I was thinking. I was at university, though.

As a callow 18 yr old I loved simple minds new gold dream. I then bought sparkle in the rain. Urgh. Awful. I saw them for what they were, pedlars of pomp.[\quote]

There’s been a recent reissue of New Gold Dream – it was given a rave positive review by Uncut, saying it hasn’t dated! What?!

I think that for Simple Minds, ‘New Gold Dream’ was the high water mark. It has some very good songs on it…..the later stuff did devolve into pomp rock, very true.
    *fires up ‘The Hunter and the Hunted’ on Spotify*

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

This …………

…….. End of Thread 😆

LS
    Free Member

I bought El Rayo X by David Lindley on the strength of ‘Mercury Blues’, expecting a full album of slide guitar-based fast-paced rock.

I ended up with a piss-poor reggae album 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

Rubbish. It’s still a great 5/5 album.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I still listen to Druqks and still very much enjoy it.

I also owned the Mense@r [?] album, I was 14. I didn’t know any better.

mikey74
    Free Member

Listen to the lyrics

You could say that about any Biohazard album, and there were much worse to come.

Personally, I never bought a Biohazard album for the lyrics.

ChrisL

unklehomered – Member

One Hot Minute by the Chili Peppers

Seriously?[/quote]

Yup. Gave it as many listens as I could stand but it didn’t work at all for me. I was never a Chilis purist though, I don’t have anything pre Blood Sugar Sex Magik and the Californication/By The Way era was probably the point that I liked them most. My interest in them has certainly waned since then, but I’d be surprised if that resulted in an increased appreciation for One Hot Minute compared to the other albums.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Seth Lakeman…

Y’know, I thought I’d give it a go.. I tried. Being a fan of Kate Rusby and a few other Folkies’ I just thought I’d try to expand my musical taste, I think I found my limit, sorry Seth.

prawny

gobuchul – Member
    Antony and the Johnsons – I am a bird now.

Dreadful.

Really? Love that, still listen to it regularly. My eldest hates it though, sot it gets more plays than it normally would 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Will someone just post the Mal/butwhateerohforgetit .gif and we can move on from this “when RHCP went shit” bit 😉

doris5000

You could say that about any Biohazard album, and there were much worse to come.

Personally, I never bought a Biohazard album for the lyrics.

😆

no me neither – in fact I very rarely even notice lyrics – but there’s something about that album that just really winds me up!

I always enjoyed Drukqs though.

I reckon it’s the production on that. Soft keyboards, shiny big-budget arrangements – it totally lacks the ragged edge of the pre-85 era. But on a song level, I think 7th Son is up there with the likes of Ancient Mariner. Saw them do it live a few years back actually, and in a concert setting it was much better than the album version 😀

codybrennan
    Free Member

Didn’t buy it, but was subjected to it daily in the car by an ex-girlfriend-

“Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?” by The Cranberries.

My. God. Just…that woman’s voice. Sounded like she was alternately stifling a sob and/or trying not to spew. As was I.

Basic 3-chord guitars with awful lyrics.

Shudder.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

The best of Dexy’s Midnight Runners. What can I say? It was Britannia Music Club and I had to buy something that month.

BoardinBob

Yet sold millions and millions of copies.

Absolutely abysmal. She’s obscenely rich as a result 😕

funkmasterp

Something by Clawfinger in the 90’s. RATM were a brilliant band, but in a similar vein to PJ are kind of responsible for a flood of truly horrendous copy cat bands 🙁

oafishb
    Free Member

Yet sold millions and millions of copies.

Absolutely abysmal. She’s obscenely rich as a result

Feel comforted that this sort of travesty can never happen again, what with artists receiving 0.00000001p per play, from spotify. Or something like that.

holst
    Free Member

Literally the first record I ever bought:

Chosen over this:

I will carry that regret to my grave.

gallowayboy

Didn’t buy it, but was subjected to it daily in the car by an ex-girlfriend-

“Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?” by The Cranberries.

My. God. Just…that woman’s voice. Sounded like she was alternately stifling a sob and/or trying not to spew. As was I.

Basic 3-chord guitars with awful lyrics.

Shudder.
    guilty as well, or at least the household was guilty. Yes, possibly the worst…..some dirge about guns and bombs makes me cringe every time I remember it.

doris5000

Something by Clawfinger in the 90’s. RATM were a brilliant band, but in a similar vein to PJ are kind of responsible for a flood of truly horrendous copy cat bands

like Biohazard? 😉 😆

I had a couple of Clawfinger albums on tape. One of them had that track ‘N*****r’ which doesn’t really merit being named in full here. They were crap. But at least I didn’t pay for them 😀

Swedish rap-rock attempting to deal with American social and political issues. What could possibly go wrong? 😆

Northwind

Clawfinger never did a good album but Biggest And the Best and Do As I Saw were tunes.

Mine is a Miles Davis compilation I bought in an attempt to broaden my musical experience. I guess it did broaden it inasmuch as it redefined awful. Basically every other album I owned gained 2 stars as a result of the recalibration required.

funkmasterp

I had a couple of Clawfinger albums on tape. One of them had that track ‘N

That’s the one, paid £14 for it too!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It’s only the fact I’ve never bought an album by the pub singer bitch that any of Adele’s albums aren’t on here.

racefaceec90

thread closed hangs head in shame 😳 🙁

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Swordfish Trombones, the title should have warned me off! 😉

NJA

Rollin by the bay city rollers (I was only 10 in my defence). As a grown up songs from Ally McBeal by Vonda Shepherd is hard to defend.

metalheart
    Free Member

My disgust knows no bounds….

jamj1974

I’ve bought a fair few howlers myself – probably more than most. However, this thread is a real tonic!

senorj

I bought the Milli Vanilli album…..I had been a fan of Boney M too,but only bought their singles.
    Btw ,I think raceface clinches the win with Bros!

doris5000

i really wanted that Bros album!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

In the music shop one Saturday morning and I hear this fantastic instrumental jam with astoundingly good bass guitar.
    Thinking that it must be a new release by Rush, I enquire as to the group being played and the proprietor (Gandalf) points to a cd by a German prog rock combo called ‘Spocks Beard’.

I happily hand over the cash and head back home.

maybe he pointed to the wrong cd, because this had to be the most dreary, dismal, and turgid cd I’ve ever experienced.
    No super duper bass work, and as far as I recall, it was a double album!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Roger Waters, Amused to Death.

Hated it, even after listening to it a few times.

A week later, I had a tune in my head, it was off the album, but which song, I listened again…

This repeated itself over and over until I finally realised what an awesome album it is.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Whoa there Pimpmaster – Phunk Junkeez?
    I mean it’s got some pretty guff tracks on it and I’m sure it’s a disappointment after watching Kranked 2… (Wow there’s some seriously good tracks on that!)

But no way the worst ever…

roger_mellie

Dr and the Medics. A full album.
    Oh lordy.
    I’m sure there’s more in the attic of similar quality.
    I feel cleansed now 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘What's the worst album you ever bought?’ is closed to new replies.