Home Forums Chat Forum whats the BARNSTAPLE area like

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • whats the BARNSTAPLE area like
  • qwerty
    Free Member

to live and ride in :?:

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

The town itself is nothing special, but surrounding villages are nice. Traffics a nightmare all summer. Saunton golf courses are excellent but hard work in the wind. It's a long way from any 'decent' towns, so shopping (for the missus) and live music are limited. The link road to the M5 is longer than it looks. Parking in Woolacombe is a pain all summer. It's really nice in the winter. The Big sheep is pretty decent for kids. I like it down there but would struggle to live there.

Riding, not too sure – there are plenty of hills! My best mate lives in Knowle near Braunton, i could ask him.
    There's a bike shop in Braunton that looks ok, could be worth asking about the riding scene in there.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not liver there but my gran and uncle + family lived down there for years so I spent a fair amount of time down there. Nice place, limited job opportunists though, long way to a urban center if that is needed. Riding wise, from memory Devon in general has very few bridleways however Exmoor is close where there are more and Dartmoor is good for riding but it's a fair drive.

use bikehike to have a look at the surrounding track situation.

luke
    Free Member

We nearly moved down there about 3 years ago as I was offered relocation, the wife changed her mind, which I still regret. If you have a job offer go for it, but I wouldn't move down looking for work.
    We still go down to the area as much as we can, but then I'm a Devonshire lad myself (although East Devon), locals seem friendly and the slower pace of life is great.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I'm a Devonshire lad myself (although East Devon),

Interesting – I usually make that distinction too ;-)

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I moved to the area about 5 years ago. Barnstaple itself is OK if nothing brilliant. The surrounding areas like Fremington and Bickington are nicer. I live in Bideford which is OK if a little backward and run down. However, the surrounding countryside is fantastic. Yes, it can be busy in the summer as others on here have noted but if you live here you can enjoy it all year round.

Not a huge number of bridleways near me so I tend to ride a mix of country lanes and old rights of way and there is of course Exmoor not too far away. Riding in this area always involves tackling lots of short nasty hills but you soon get used to that. There is always the Tarka Trail for days when you just want to ride on the flat and it is useful for getting out to the more rural areas without tackling main roads. I quite often use it to link up lots of little back lanes.

Exeter and Taunton are just over an hours drive away for work if you can beat the traffic. If you time it right it should only take about 40 minutes to get to the M5 along the link road. Once you get used to it the North Devon link road isn't too bad. Few nutters with surfboards strapped on the roofs of their cars to deal with in the summer though.

trailmonkey

Not lived there myself, but it strikes me as being a little bit out on a limb and like all places like that, it's a different dynamic come holiday season and I personally hated that situation when I lived in Torbay.
    It's all relative though isn't it. You've got the Q's close, Exmoor closer, Dartmoor not far away and some great beaches if you surf so there's plenty to keep you happy. Expect the low wage/better standard of living trade off when you move to the west country. I'm sure there're worse places to be.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I grew up, and my parents still live, in Combe Martin. The riding here is a lot better than in Barnstaple as exmoor is right on the doorstep. From what I've heard the riding in Barny is pretty dire, with only a bit of singletrack up behind the hospital. Southfork in Braunton is a really good bike shop with educated and interested staff. Its the only workshop in the area I would trust my bike with, they're also into the racing scene which is reassuring. They also sometimes run uplift days on Exmoor but they're invite only.
    As for jobs; its tourist and services based and at the moment its pretty poor so dont arrive expecting to find work. If you've got a job already, remember that there are lots of lovely villages within half an hours drive, and property prices are generally quite low.

I love North Devon and exmoor, I think theres some of the best riding in the country, amazing surf and scenery!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘whats the BARNSTAPLE area like’ is closed to new replies.