Home Forums Chat Forum What’s Stockholm like at this time of year

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What’s Stockholm like at this time of year
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

and are there any decent bars near the Hilton Slussen?

I am there for a night tomorrow and thought I might take a wander around in the evening

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Cold.

Very, very cold.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Warmer than here!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I think there are a few around Sodermalm, or there is the ice bar next to the central station (about 10 mins + walk) or head up to Stureplan/Birger Jarlsgaten area for loads of bars – about 15 mins walk. Plenty of eating in that area too

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thanks Cptn.

Is it really going to be that cold and are the drinks REALLY expensive?

PeteA
    Free Member

Depends what you are after. Engelen just across the Slussen in Gamla Stan is good with live bands upstairs and night club downstairs – always busy. As said just up the hill in Sodermalm is the Oliver Twist which has good selection of ales. O’learys Sports bars are good for live footie etc. Dubliner which is not far from T Centralen is also good. The bar at the Hilton can also be busy and is popular. If you enjoy a steak thoroughly recommend the Texas Smoke house just along from the Oliver Twist – Have Fun

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Forecast says -9c with a fresh wind tomorrow so take hat, gloves and thick soled shoes – ideally rubber as all the pavements are gritted. Yeah, will be expensive especially with the state of the £, but not crazy. BTW, all the taxis take credit cards so no need for loads of wad. If you are doing city/airport at busy times you might want to take the Arlanda express and use the taxi rank at the central station – less wad as well

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Warmer than here!

Is it b0llocks. People moan about the cold in this country, they have no idea. They simply don’t dress properly, the idiots. Scandinavia is covered in snow and ice for 11 months of the year, and has no sunlight for most of that time, yet the people there cope fine.

WCA, unless you’ve ever been anywhere like that, it will be colder than you can imagine. I had to get off a plane in Oslo once, onto the tarmac, as the accordion thing wouldn’t fit. Christ on a bike, it was stupidly cold. I tried to get back on the plane, but they shooed me off with a broom. I then spent the next week wrapped in virtually every item of clothing I had.

Nice, though. Very quiet, and pretty.

And booze is silly money. Just buy some meths, and stay in the hotel.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Scandinavia is covered in snow and ice for 11 months of the year, and has no sunlight for most of that time, yet the people there cope fine

Absolute rubbish. In summer there is up to 20 hours of daylight in latitudes like Stockholm and it’s as warm as London

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I was joking!

Not been to Stockholm, but I understand Oslo is very similar in temperature and that, throughout the year.

I’ll never forget being in a little rowing boat, on a lake in Norway, years ago. At about 2 am, there was quite a bit of light in the sky, then the sun started rising again. Fantastic.

Been in late December, too. Sun was up from about 10 am til 2 pm. And it was proper bastard cold.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can’t believe we’ve got this far before someone mentions quite how stunning the young ladies of Stockholm are…..

The Spitfire was surprisingly good on my last trip, odd to reccomend a “Pub” in Stockholm, but it was a really nice place for a beer. Birger Jarlsgatan, a bit further north. Nice and close to the Uni as well, IIRC, adding to the nice views.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Flashfart; I thought that was a given!

Yes, Scandanavian ladies are very nice…. :wink:

clump
    Free Member

Akkurat, on Hornsgaten, just round the corner, is a top bar with Swedish local brews, with great food and often live music.
    Pelican, is another that I can really recommend (can’t remember the address) that does good beer and excellent Swedish food. Not just meatballs!
    Get them in IKEA West Key sometime soon.
    EDIT
    found it Blekingeg. 40,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What’s Stockholm like at this time of year’ is closed to new replies.