Home Forums Bike Forum What mudguards are you using on your gravel bike?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What mudguards are you using on your gravel bike?
  • bikerevivesheffield

40mm tyres – thinking mudhugger as per my proper bike

scotroutes

Currently none – and feeling yesterday that was a mistake.

Gravelhugger rear won’t play nicely with my seatstay angle, ruling that out. Ass Savers Win Wing looks better for me

tourismo

Kinesis Fendoff, don’t rattle and give good coverage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pdw full metal fenders over 40c nanos

jam-bo

SKS edge al in the winter. Gravelhugger front in the summer.

fazzini

Speedrockers for my Diverge going back on soon. Had a front gravel one from MH but wouldn’t fit with the Vittoria tyres, and I have an Ass savers long guard for the back when it’s a bit iffy out. It folds up and goes in a pocket if you want to take it off mid-ride.

davy90
    Free Member

Win wing on rear, Gravelhugger on the front.

Back on the bike today for tomorrow’s ride.

Matt_SS_xc

Simworks honjo flat. Not cheap, work very well and very tough

thenorthwind

Speedrockers here too. Brilliant. Bought so I could use with 32mm road tyres and take off quickly when I’ve got my 40mm gravel tyres on… except the clearance isn’t an issue, partly since the front doesn’t go under the fork crown, so I can leave them on anyway.
    Coverage is also good. Was out this morning and there are muddy puddles everywhere. There was barely a spot on me when I got home.

james-rennie

Black 52mm Zeppelins from Velo Orange on my Fairlight Secan.

They provide good coverage for both 38×700 and 47x650b

bikerevivesheffield

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Cheers all</p>

fatface1
    Free Member

Win Wing on the back when needed and a small ass saver in the front that is always left on. I’ve got Crudcatchers on my MTB that go on my gravel when it’s really sloppy.

roger_mellie

I’m not actually using these, but I think they’ll be a not-ugly-as-f solution for my diverge.

https://road.cc/content/review/sks-veloflexx-mudguard-set-281327

robertajobb

I’ve got SKS AL 46 guards on my Stooshie.  They’re the ones Shand spec / fit as an optional extra (I bought a s fitted myself, though wish I’d got them to fit for the few shillings more, as I had to drill some new holes and fiddle a bit to get to fit exactly as I wanted.

Bike came with 35mm Schwalbe G-One tyres.   I’ve since upped it to 40mm, and had no problem so far.  I reckon they’d be fine with 42mm  but think 45mm in my case would get a bit close / prone to clogging up if the mud is sticky

tthew

Ribble ones, don’t get them. Badly formed brackets made the the biggest PITA to fit of any mudguards I’ve ever had. Rubbish.

abingham

Standard answer for me is Velo-Orange in your desired size and finish. Had them across loads of bikes, faff to fit but once on they are perfect.

spooky_b329

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Another vote for Kinesis Fend offs.  Great coverage, slightly worried that one day I’ll get something wedged in them and get thrown off but I think that could also happen with the strap on style speedrockers etc.</p>
    PXL_20211228_161549486.MP

stevious

Mudhuggers (gravelhuggers?) here. Not as effective as a full cover guard but for me was the sweet spot of good cover / ease of fitting.

rOcKeTdOg

Mud hugger front win-wing rear

PXL_20230920_174756763

IA

Win wing and either gravel hugger or rudy specific guard depending on the bike.

pisco

Dinky little thing just to keep the worst off. The rear has a Revelate Terrapin which doubles up as a mudguard. 20221108_07431020221108_074324

aggs
    Free Member

PDW metal on the all rounder gravel bike.

Use (70% Road 30% gravel riding on familiar trails,. 40mm road biased tyres.)

Win Wing rear now on the adventure gravel  bike for its first winter test, not yet ridden in proper slosh  downhill at speed yet!  (Previously used an ass saver for a few years.)

With Mud hugger on the front of this bike.

iainc

Thread resurrection!

looking at options for 2 gravel bikes, a Spesh Diverge and a Giant Revolt x. I have bought a rockshox bolt on one for the Rudy xplr fork on the Revolt. On initial fitting I thought the clearance was too tight, under 1cm, but looking at rocketdog’s picture up there it looks about the same. Typical riding is west of Scotland trails so mud, but not much sticky stuff. Maybe it will work ?

have also bought a Win Wing so will pop that on and if as good as folks seem to think I’ll get another for the second bike. I did also get their little front flap one but it’s too tight on the Diverge under the crown…both bikes are on 45’s.

rOcKeTdOg

i find the gravel hugger is best at around a 40mm tyre, above that when the mud is claggy and mixed wuth leaves it’ll glog and stop the wheel turning eventually. just wet or slurry mud is no problem though. I guess it depends where you ride. win wing works on a 2.25″ mtb tyre on my hardtail so no clogging there, I have a 10% discount code for ass savers if you need it ( GARYW_10 ) although at some point STW had a 20% off one so might be worth looking for that

this happens in glaggy frozen mud plus leaves

matt_outandabout

I’m using full guards – 56mm SKS Edge ALs over 50mm Continental tyres. I’ve spaced them quite high on the Vagabond and not had any issues of clogging or twigs etc. They are better than all other SKS guards I’ve had being stiffer.

Mrs_oab has 46mm Bontrager NCS guards over 40mm Schwalbe G-One’s. They are better than them SKS guards I’ve had on a few bikes, including the Edge AL’s above, but not available in wide enough options for me. Much better stays with easier adjustment and fitting, stiffer and quieter too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Proper ones that keep me dry and my following mates. Clip on things don’t do either very well. The gravel commuters uses good old SKS with 6″ plus of mud flap on both guards. 40mm tyres. The Sonder has what ever they come with. Like SKS but a touch shorter and wider so with a bigger flap.

alan1977
    Free Member

just picked up a felt vr and looking for guards to suit it

Felt do their own, but im not finding it available

problem appears to be this, rear guard fixes at the bottom bracket, pretty standard, the rear fixings are at the back of the drop outs, perpendicular to the axle, facing backwards

Front is the same, fixings on the back of the fork, and a single central fixings concentric to the steerer

any ideas of any guards that i can make work? only need to cover road tyres

slowol

There was a thread that covered rearward facing eyelets. I can’t find it but the conclusion was a bracket like one of the ones linked below.

I’ve used the L shaped suntour fork ones to fix to a suntour fork on my wife’s hybrid and the work well.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-direct-straight-fork-mounts-pair/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-direct-angled-fork-mounts-pair/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-suntour-angle-bracket-pack-of-4/

alan1977
    Free Member

aah yes, they will do it!! great find :)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.