Home Forums Chat Forum What happens when…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What happens when…
  • superlurch
    Free Member

The new energy saving light bulbs die…

I’ve got one in my understairs cupboard that keens flashing on and off. I don’t know if it’s the bulb of if my electrics are uncle bucked.

Swifty
    Free Member

Change the bulb?

stoat

better start running..

Smee
    Free Member

Just out of interest – how long has the bulb lasted?

superlurch
    Free Member

It must be what they do ‘cos I changed it today and the new one is fine…

I guess it’s like the old flouresent tubes used to flicker?

It had a good innings, it’s been in about 6 years

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Energy saving bulbs work in exactly the same way as fluorescent tubes (they’re called CFLs after all). Hence you’d expect exactly the same failure symptoms. Unfortunately the cheap ones have poor quality electronics, hence fail prematurely – the reliability statement usually being about how long the tube lasts, conveniently ignoring the fact that’s not that bit which goes (regretting getting a cheap bulk pack, at least 1/4 of which has died on me in a couple of years).

grizzlygus
    Free Member

In Europe, all CFLi lamps have to be disposed as special waste (under EWC Code 20 01 21-Fluorescent tubes and other mercury-containing waste). Furthermore, as part of its obligations under the EU’s WEEE Directive1), the European lighting industry has set up a European-wide recycling infrastructure, capable of recycling mercury, as well as other metals, glass, etc. All CFLi lamps are provided with the crossed-out wheeled dustbin logo. This means that they should not be disposed of in household waste but should be brought back to the shop or to the local waste facilities to be recycled.

http://www.firstlightdirect.com/

The Mercury from 1 single Fluorescent Tube is enough to pollute 30,000 Litres of Water beyond the safe drinking level in the UK.

http://www.mercuryrecycling.co.uk/tube.htm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What happens when…’ is closed to new replies.