Home Forums Chat Forum What glue for GoreTex ??

• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What glue for GoreTex ??
  • DrJ

The cuffs of my Arcteryx jacket have come unglued. Does anyone have recommendations for a glue to fix it? I tried SuperGlue but it came undone again :-(

dovebiker

Sticky GoreTex patches – very durable

footflaps

I use Stormsure seam sealant, fixes anything and stays flexible.

niklaus

Urethane based adhesives as above. Aquasure and Aquaseal. They take a while to dry so you need to clamp or hold the repair in shape as it will creep.

Greybeard
    Free Member

As above, Aquasure/Stormsure (same product). It’s a sealant rather than a traditional glue, in that although very sticky, it creates no adhesion between the surfaces until it cures. It cures by moisture in the air. So apply it thinly to one or both surfaces, leave for 20 min to start curing, then clamp together. It’s very tough and adherent when cured, don’t glue anything you don’t mean to. Clean the top and the nozzle, screw it back on and put it in the freezer, or it will glue to top onto the tube.

cleetonator

If you’re not in a huge rush, contact arcteryx themselves. I had a hem seam come undone on a softshell, they asked me to send it to the repair centre, fixed it and posted it back. Only cost to me was the postage. I think I was without it for about 7 days.

Bearing in mind it was a 9 year old coat at that point and I’d lost the receipt, I was quite happy with the service.

Might be worth a shot.

DrJ

Great. Thanks all!!

Digby

Another vote for getting in touch with Arcteryx themselves – the glue on the hem of my 9 year old ‘Sidewinder’ Snowboarding jacket had failed.

I took a photograph and sent it to Arcteryx who gave me a warranty number and address.

Send it away and it came back with the hem and the cuffs all re-done! Fantastic Customer service on a 9 year old jacket!

andy8442
    Free Member

Stormsure is the nuts, but more suited to boot repairs and wetsuits. It would do the job but it wouldn’t be an “invisible” repair.

footflaps

I use Stormsure on GTX jackets, very good at closing up small holes / tears. It’s not invisible, but a lot less visible that an ‘official’ GTX patch, which is about 20x larger!

BadlyWiredDog

If it’s Arc’teryx, there’s a good chance it was originally laminated – basically heat-activated glue. I fixed a peeling cuff on one of their softshells using an iron and aftermarket heat-activated glue, but with Gore-Tex, I’d talk to Arc’teryx first. It’s finnicky stuff when it comes to adhesives.

DrJ

Thanks all. Jacket is currently en route back to Arcteryx. Hopefully they’ll fix it but if not I have some Stormseal ready. Looks pretty good stuff -sure it will come in handy!!

DrJ

Just to close this off – I sent my jacket back to Arcteryx and they repaired the cuffs and also the hemline drawstring cord channel thingy, and also the hanger loop, neither of which I’d identified as bad, so I’m pretty happy.

And Stormseal in my drawer in case of other uses !!

chakaping

Are there any stick-on waterproof patches that don’t come off in the wash?

I’m thinking for fraying seams on waterproof shorts.

clubby

Tenacious tape.

chakaping

Thanks, but that’s the stuff that’s come off in the wash.

Have others had more luck with it?

dovebiker

McNett GoreTex repair patches can be ironed-on

Digby

Just to close this off – I sent my jacket back to Arcteryx and they repaired the cuffs and also the hemline drawstring cord channel thingy, and also the hanger loop, neither of which I’d identified as bad, so I’m pretty happy.

Yep – it’s a pretty good service isn’t it?

Buying a plastic jacket is expensive not only in initial purchase price, but also environmental impact … the least we can do is minimise repeat purchasing and but items in the hope that they will last a long time and try and avoid some of the pit-falls of our modern disposable society …

#MakeDoAndMend

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What glue for GoreTex ??’ is closed to new replies.