Home Forums Bike Forum What are we all using on our stanchions?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What are we all using on our stanchions?
  • donslow

Now the crap weather is starting up again and getting out on a particularly filthy (fun) ride recently, I’ve been reminded of more regular servicing / cleaning routine that I normally adopt during the rubbish months

it dawned on me I never do anything with my fork and dropper stanchions past a wipe over with  a micro fibre cloth so looking to start really looking after them

what are people using to “properly” clean / lubricate their fork and dropper stanchions? How is the best way to do / use whatever is necessary?

advice / recommendations / pointers and links most welcome

scotroutes

Soapy water.

A (very occasional) spray with some fork/shock stanchion lubricant (I think my current one is Fenwicks).

bikerevivesheffield

I don’t

Reason being that the wiper seals wipe the stanchion, the lubrication is done inside.

Yak

I might drop some suspension oil or in an emergency some wet lube on, cycle it a few times then wipe off. But really, if I am doing that then the fork needs a lowers service or the dropper needs a service.

nuke

Wipe with rag and then Muc-off silicone shine… smells lovely too

crossed

Rinse with a hose after a muddy ride, quick wipe with a microfibre then a spray with some Juice Lubes Fork Juice. I’ve done that with every bike of mine for about the past 10 years and never had any trouble with forks or droppers.

sharkattack

Any of the suspension specific silicon sprays. Quick squirt and a few pumps. You can see it lift loads of crap out of the seals and it keeps them moist in the areas where the leg oil can’t reach.

siscott85
    Free Member

I’m cautious, I used to us Silicon sprays and lubes etc, but I think it’s going to have a detrimental effect on the grease in the seals.

I can complete a lower service quicker than I can remove the forks from the frame, so I do that a couple of times over winter and I’ve never any issues.

nickc

My routine.

I wash the bike, and clean with a carbon fibre cloth, Spray some fork lube onto the seals, compress the fork once to lift most of the accumulated debris away from the seal and up the stanchion, wipe away, apply a second light coat. It’s not a replacement for a lower leg service, but I’ve not encountered any issues doing mine over several years, and dropping the lowers hasn’t ever reveled a problem.

One-ping

spooky_b329

I once put a couple of drops of fork oil on the wiper seals of my wife’s Fox before a 100 miler. (The corrrect stuff, whatever is was)

When she returned the stanchions both had worn through the surface.  Although I was sparing and wiped any excess off, the dust obviously stuck to them and at the end of the day they were knackered!

So I never put anything on them, except soapy water!!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A couple of drops of oil based chain lube, applied using an old tooth brush. Function is to lift out accumulated debris and provide a bit of lubrication, which it does well enough to extend lowers service interval.

sharkattack

I’m cautious, I used to us Silicon sprays and lubes etc, but I think it’s going to have a detrimental effect on the grease in the seals.

All the suspension specific oils and grease in the legs is silicon based anyway, that’s why the spray lube is silicon.

Lick them. Be a man.

solamanda
    Free Member

Halfords silicone spray, I’ve not found dirt inside my forks for over 10 years and I’ve had some seals last 5yrs without leaking, so it must work.

SirHC

Oil supplied by EXT specifically for the job of keeping the seals lubricated between services. On a really mucky ride, will wipe them periodically to keep the muck at bay.

jimmy748

Just keep them and the dust seals clean and dry, but use a small syringe to inject suspension oil directly onto the upper bush, while burping and air from the lowers at the same time.

chakaping

+1 for soapy water and also for

I’ve not found dirt inside my forks for over 10 years

I just try to do my lowers servicing vaguely on time.

TheGingerOne

I use a muckynutz mudguard permanently and that keeps so much muck away from the stanchions that there is little concern. Will occasionally then apply from fork juice or finish line wet lube, but having a Fox fork service last year after about 8 years of use, other than dirty foam rings, they were absolutely fine.

bens
    Free Member

Anyhing you put on the outside is either going to get scraped off by the wiper seals or end up inside contamination the oil.

If the seals are working properly, they should be leaving a nice thin film of oil on the stanchions which is all the lubrication they need. Keeping the foam rings clean and keeping on top of the oil in the lowers is all that’s needed really.

donslow

Ha ha ha winning reply so far goes to  @relapsed_mandalorian

Lick them. Be a man.

thanks so far, all, my ham fisted ways are not quite ready (prepared) to tackle fork servicing just yet but plenty to chew on for now regarding generally upkeep(?!)

donslow

Soapy water has always been my go-to so little unsure if I’m just complicating things for the sake of it

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.