Home Forums Bike Forum Waterproof jacket

• This topic has 30 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Waterproof jacket
  • lumberwhack
    Free Member

Hi,
    Looking for recommendations for an ‘actually’ waterproof trail jacket for all day wearing in the foulest of Dartmoor weather.
    I currently have a paramo jacket which I really don’t get on with.
    Not interested in endura stuff either doesn’t live up to expectations I find.
    Any personal recommendations greatly received.
    Budget up to £200, may go a little higher for something that’ll last ten years of abuse!
    Cheers

BadlyWiredDog

When you say ‘trail jacket’ do you mean ‘riding jacket’ or do you want something for more general use?

In terms of durable waterproofing, you won’t get much better than standard three-layer Gore-Tex fabric or Pro, with also come with a lifetime warranty. Gore-Tex Active is more breathable, but not as durable ime. Likewise Paclite. It’s expensive, but they’re very thorough when it comes to spec, testing and production.

What’s wrong with the Paramo jacket btw?

lumberwhack
    Free Member

Riding specific is what I’d be looking for. Hard wearing able to deal with being caked in mud and occasional bramble snags, you know the drill.
    I’ve heard some good things about showers pass if anyone has any of their stuff they could recommend?
    Was just looking at gore’s own mtb jacket, might be an option. Do you have any experience of gores own stuff?
    The paramo leaks on the seams after a while and you have to wash it with the tech wash about every time which is a pain. I’ve sent it back once only to get it back leaking on the seams as bad as before. It’s just not fit for purpose.
    Thanks for the reply, looking like gore tex is the way forward.

lawman91

7Mesh Copilot would be my choice by a mile.

https://7mesh.com/copilot-jacket

I have the older Guardian and it’s insanely good. The fit is excellent (they do size up big though, so I go down a size, I wear a small and I’m 6ft 160lb), it’s properly waterproof and all my kit from them has lasted incredibly well. My Revo shorts from them have had 3 winters abuse and are still going strong. Worn with a temperature appropriate base layer and I’ve been more than happy in mine down to about -3 degrees. Cannot recommend them enough!

BadlyWiredDog

Was just looking at gore’s own mtb jacket, might be an option. Do you have any experience of gores own stuff?

Not used their waterproof no, the softshell stuff is solid and it’s pretty well made generally, but no direct experience. I tend to use outdoor kit when things get properly wet on the bike, but I’ve heard good things about 7Mesh.

I find Paramo great in proper sub-zero, deep winter conditions – the first generation Enduro is cut short enough to make a really effective bike jacket – but it’s way too warm for me most of the time.

lumberwhack
    Free Member

7mesh looks the business thanks!

lumberwhack
    Free Member

Yeah the paramo I have i a velez I think and it’s great in the cold and has good venting it’s just a shame it’s only occasionally waterproof!
    Think I’m going to 7mesh as the fabric is gore tex and they look fit for purpose

hainman
    Free Member

Forclaz MH 500 from decathlon
    It’s £70
    15,000 waterproof and breathability and I have 2
    Damn good jackets and have been in some biblical downpours and always kept me dry and warm
    It’s my go to recommendation and like for like will beat most bike specific brands apart from the Endura mt500 but ye can buy 3 of them for same price

duncancallum

Omm kamelia smock is my favourite and my default answer

sofaboy73
    Free Member

in all honesty i wouldn’t spend loads on a waterproof hard-shell for mountain biking. the mud, grit, getting stuffed in a pack covered in crap, crashing and regular washing to keep them “breathable” kills them far quicker than similar jackets for mountaineering / walking / climbing, and too quickly to be spending hundreds of pounds.

if you run hot or put a fair bit of heat when working on the bike, you’re highly likely to overwhelm the breathability of gore-tex, event and the like anyhow and end up damp form sweat so it’s just acting as an expensive and not massively comfortable windproof. breathable enough for mountaineering, but doesn’t work great for MTB.

get a decent softshell to keep the wind off you and providesome shower proofness, accept your going to get wet but still be warm and keep and emergency hardshell in your pack for when you stop, have a mechanical or it’s absolutely biblical.

if you shop about, you can usually pick up a bargain form one of the main outdoor brands – try sportspursuit as a starting point, i picked up a berghaus gore-tex paclite jacket (same material as that 7 mesh jacket) for £60, at that price it can live at the bottom of my pack, im not unduly worried about it and it’ll last a decent amount of time as it’s only occasional use

jakehinton
    Free Member

You can get the nukeproof nirvana coat for £65 reduced from £150 on crc at the moment. Ive just ordered one so hopefully its good!

wildfires3
    Free Member

I’ve got a GoreTex C5 jacket I use for MTB-ing that I got last year and have used through the worst weather possible. After most rides I have hosed myself down and remained dry.

I’ve crashed a few times in it and in my C5 trousers, and so far all is good, however I know the single layer Goretex isn’t the most robust for longevity. But I hate getting cold. I got it from CRC on sale in Summer for under £100 as it was a bit older.

Really light and packs away nicely. However as with all GoreTex, it’s not as breathable as they make out.

chrishc777
    Free Member

After spending loads of money on nice jackets over the years I now use the Trespass or Mountain Warehouse £20 ones. Breathable, waterproof plastic is a myth and they all tear when you crash or ride through a hedge

My only requirement for a jacket is that it has pockets

allanoleary
    Free Member

Gore Oxygen 2.0 in large for sale here if that’s your size?

andybrad

if you want something that is properly waterproof buy a goretex jacket.

pothead
    Free Member

Not used any of their full on waterproofs but I’ve had a Montane softshell for a few years, it’s far better than any of the ‘mtb specific’ equivalents I’ve looked at for the same sort of ££££

ibnchris

Personally I’d worry less about being waterproof and more about being comfortable. If your jacket is ‘leaking’ a bit but you are still relatively warm I wouldn’t worry too much about it and focus on enjoying the ride.

But if you are standing about for hours as a race Marshall or similar I’d get yourself a pair of oilskins!

P.s. Paramo seams aren’t taped so I doubt it’s the seams that are leaking, probably just needs a decent reproofing

johnnystorm

I’ve just got a Royal Matrix and so far so good. It appealed as much for the fact it had three decent sized pockets as anything else!

djflexure

I like gortex jackets when out on the mtb in exposed places. I have a gore alp x that has done over 10 years service – def recommend as relatively light and waterproof plus good fit.

I have the shower pass refuge – never quite bonded with it as bulkier and heavier.

Wear Paramo Velez for walking the dogs but bit hot for the bike unless sub zero at night

Finally also have 7mesh gortex top that I use on the road. Quality is excellent and another favourite. Cost me £40 from the Bikewaggon eBay store. Their synergy soft shell is lovely too for mtb – quite thin with grid fleece lining.

samuelr
    Free Member

I have a mountain equipment coat that I use for the bike. Picked it up from elis brigham in the sale for around £130
    I sized down from my normal size due to not needing layers underneath it.
    It is perfectly cut for mtb. Long arms so no gap for water to get in. Dropped back that covers your arse and cropped front so it doesn’t bunch up at the front when seated.
    It gets hosed down after a muddy ride then washed once a month in winter. Its now 3 years old and still looks good.

zerocool

Polartec Neoshell is pretty good for riding. More breathable than goretex, not quite as dry but overall (when you include sweating) it works out as dry. A friend has the Fox Neoshell jackets and she really rates it. I’m using my old Berghaus Goretex pro mountaineering jacket with no worries, or failing that (if it’s a biking and mountaineering trip) I have a 15 year old Endura Event jacket that refuses to fully die as long as I keep washing and reproofing it.

The wife uses a Berghaus Goretex Active jacket we picked up cheap at the Outlet village near Afan.

Package has always kind of sucked compared to Pro and Active (and standard)so I’d go for one of those if you can but the Neoshell is pretty good for riding.

Otherwise a good soft shell is usually more practical for riding in truly rubbish weather

chiefgrooveguru

When you’re pedalling hard but the weather is filthy, I think what you wear underneath matters as much or more than your outer layer. With the right base layer you’ll feel much comfier when you inevitably get damp from the inside out or outside in. Much cheaper to sort than the outer layer too!

I hardly ever wear an actual waterproof on the bike, but sometimes it’s so cold and wet it is needed.

huck2flat
    Free Member

Have had a variety of Goretex Pro Shell jackets over the years – recently got a Madison DTE for a fraction of the RPP of the goretex and it’s just as good. Cut is nice and “boxy” which suits me well.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Hunt out an Adidas Terrex GTX pro jacket if you can find one; pit zips and a good arm length. Or if you want warmth too, Buffalo Teclite shirt.

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

Anyone used the Stormtech jackets? Looking at the GMBN videos, it seems to be what their branded jackets are when they’re out in crap weather. Specifically the Stormtech Expedition softshell as far as I can tell. You seem able to pick them up new on ebay for a fraction of the RRP. 15,000mm Water Resistance, 15,000g/m2 Breathability, waterproof zips, pit zips, etc.

jedi

Look at ion bike jackets. Amazing

Sui
    Free Member

I find my Endura MTR shell really quite good it’s got the Exo40 material which is fairly breathable yet keeps the rain out well. I managed to get the lurid mango colour for £70 so well chuffed..

im still to figure out if it’s as good as my AlpKit shell, which i oriignally purchased for riding duties and then decided it was too nice.

Sui
    Free Member

shedbrewed
    Free Member
    Hunt out an Adidas Terrex GTX pro jacket if you can find one; pit zips and a good arm length. Or if you want warmth too, Buffalo Teclite shirt.

i’ve got an old version of the teclite -think it was called riding shirt (no idea really) – anyway that paired with a waterproof shell is awesome..

nickc

Polartec Neoshell is pretty good for riding

I agree, although it’s not so great at crashing, I’ve found it quite easily tears. Mine’s covered in stick-on Gore patches now.

z1ppy

I know the OP said he wasn’t keen on Endura kit but

Endura MTR shell really quite good it’s got the Exo40 material which is fairly breathable yet keeps the rain out well

I bought a discounted singletrack jacket of the same material & though I’ve not been out in any heavy rain yet, the breathability of the material means it’s not wet in the slightest when I finish. I’ve never owned a (walking or cycling) waterproof jacket that didn’t become slightly clammy, this is proving to be pretty impressive bit of kit

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof jacket’ is closed to new replies.