Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Omega NASA prototype Speedmaster LCD called the “Alaska IV”, only 12 made – all numbered, I have number 1, delivered to NASA for testing on the Shuttle programme.

Is this the one that has a thread on a watch forum about it?

If so, I never got closure on that thread! Great to hear that it is was you suspected, very special indeed.

stevemorg2

@ebikegum

I’d love a Speedmaster to go with my Seamaster but I’ve no idea what its worth and if I could afford it – can you let me know when you decide to sell?

Kryton57

Oh gosh, pretty…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2djFiME]IMG-20181206-WA0004[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2djFiN1]IMG-20181206-WA0002[/url]

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Those Samurai’s are nice looking and I missed out on a black one which was super discounted. Unfortunately my wife had gone out in the car with my wallet and by the time I’d remembered about the offer it had ended. Seen some really quite pretty domed sapphire which has red AR coating – black Samurai with glass upgrade would look lush IMHO

I’m still half tempted with a black Phoibos Subby homage as $ for $ they are excellent value. But deep down I’m holding out for the v6 Helm Vanuatu

Spinnaker are making some nice kit too, and some of the range is quite well priced

Kryton57

Aphex – Lowry jewellers online – half price Samurai’s including black ones… be quick now I’ve mentioned it.

aazlad
    Free Member

Damn you lot. I know its not a fancy automatic with Jewels and whistles but I love the look of these and snapped this up at a decent discounted rate.

Mondaine Evo 2

Mondaine Evo2

eddiebaby
    Free Member

That is a super pretty watch.

ElShalimo

Looking at these nice watches makes me want a new nice pens thread…..

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Ooooo watches! I spend more time on watch forums these days. There’s some proper watch nutters there. Anyway my current rotation is

– Victorinox INOX
    – Victorinox INOX diver
    – Seiko PADI Diver
    – Hamilton Khaki Field Auto
    – Oris Aquis
    – Longines Hyrdoconquest
    – Omega Planet Ocean – on the way.

onewheelgood

I like the look of the Mondaine Helvetica

Oh, and thanks to @matt_outandabout for pointing out the Timex Waterbury – if only I could get over my Timex aversion.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The GP ON Mondaines must be in the %hundreds. Cheap, mass produced quartz movements housed in crappy cases and marked Swiss Made. No thanks.

peterno51

Soooooo, spent a disturbing amount of time looking at G-shocks recently, I feel I am not alone here.

Has anyone bought through the Amazon Japan site? I have created an account and registered cards and such, and it all seems straightforward including that they take care of the import duty stuff.

Any horror or is it all that simple?

tall_martin

UK gshock outlet

I bought a g shock from here this year.

You might get lucky with What you want from here rather than Japanese eBay 🙂

Mine was b stock- aka the box was scratched, £150 off!

peterno51

Thanks TM, Forgot to mention that the one I’m looking at is a Japanese market only version, nothing outrageous and available on UK fleabay, but quite like the idea of getting it direct.

CountZero

@wait4me – Deacons & Son, in Swindon, Marlborough and Royal Wootton Bassett. They fixed the broken mainspring and serviced my Yema, cost £450. For a just a service they’re likely to be cheaper than that. They have their own in-house watch-makers, so they know they’re about.
    https://www.deacons-jewellers.com

oldgit
    Free Member

Still wearing my 1981 cheapo Seiko…

So I know bugger all, but this summer I was attracted to some vintage watches.
    In particular a Smiths Everest watch? early 50’s?
    We’re into our 50’s stuff, so my future missus want to buy me one for a wedding present.
    Any advice?

jeffc

For sure @oldgit, can give some pointers. Lots of nice refs from the 50s. Budget is main question, then what style? Sporty, chronograph, basic 3 hand? Gold or steel?

beaker

I’m enjoying this thread…. Lots of nice watches! I don’t think I’ve seen Steinhart mentioned? I brought a Steinhart Ocean One Vintage a couple of years ago. I really liked the 50s styling. I’d post a pic but I’m struggling….

My everyday watch is a fourteen year old Omega Seamaster quartz. I purchased it a month before Mrs Beaker found out she was pregnant with our first. Glad I got it as I’d never have brought one once I knew we were expecting!

Oh, and a Suunto Vector for when I’m out on the bike.

neilnevill
    Free Member

You didn’t notice my post of very similar watches then (Ocean one for DIY etc, planet Ocean daily)

Love the vintage Ocean, but decided to keep the extra money in my pocket when looking at a beater watch.

plyphon
    Free Member

Got some cheeky bunce coming in this financial year, I think it’s time i’ll look for a 114060 sub. No date FTW!

I think that’ll compliment my Speedmaster 1861 nicely.

Nobby

Currently hankering after one of these…

watch

I’m not sure what has caught my attention but it has something about it.

lunge

Might be time to treat myself to a cheapy. Green or Orange???

Mintman
    Free Member

I’ve recently discovered Geckota watches in Tewkesbury and bought a motorsport one (I couldn’t afford the Tag Camaro that it’s based on).

Geckota

Its early days but the quality is great and it looks lovely so I’m happy enough.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I prefer the Kermit homage lunge.

neilnevill
    Free Member

No one with a Fleiger? I could fancy a Stowa, or Laco….or maybe an IWC although they cost such a lot more!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’ve got a Damasko, which is part fleiger/ part tool watch

DB1

stevied
    Free Member

Everyday wear:
    Casio G-Shock
    Evenings & weekends:
    Tag Aquaracer
    Posh watch. This was passed to me from my great aunt. It was made in the same month and year that I was born 🙂
    Omega DeVille

neilnevill
    Free Member

What is a tool watch? I’ve never grasped that one. Is it as simple as any robust and clear to read watch?

MrSmith
    Free Member

What is a tool watch?

something you don’t grizzle about if you scratch, knock, drop. sometimes known as ‘a beater’

so not a dress watch or grand complication horology masterpiece.

plyphon
    Free Member

What is a tool watch?

Traditionally, a dress watch should only tell the time. Nothing more. No date, no nothing but time.

And then back in the days of yore, things like chronographs were actually useful tools as you had no other way of measuring splits whilst you were racing for example, or a dive bezel being a useful tool to tell you how much time under you had left.

Thus, ‘tool watches’ are watches that have complications that provide extra utility as working tools.

It’s perhaps not-so important, but its worth recognizing tool watches from grand-complication style watches, which are built solely to showcase technical prowess (such as torbillions, perpetual calendars, etc)

neilnevill
    Free Member

And there we have 2 different definitions. I tend to go with the beater definition but understand I may be off in doing so!

Kryton57

Se er, this friend of mine read this thread and over enthusiastically ordered one of those Chinese watches:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cc1A48]2018-12-15_03-04-02[/url]

He says if anyone wants one he’d just ask for his £17.50 back, unworn and unwrapped…

nickdavies

You’d think you’d get a spellcheck for £17.50 wouldn’t you!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

For 20 quid they ain’t all that bad. Pronounce Te wee say in Chinese

Some excellent watches on gear best….. Nomos lambda homage. And some great dress watches with seiko movements and sapphire glass for $50. Very tempting. The Nomos homage is pretty

ourmaninthenorth

I only have a few, all Seiko:

Quartz diver given to me when I was 21.
    SARB065 Cocktail Time
    SARB017 Alpinist
    SBDC003 Sumo (aka “Blumo”)
    SBGA011 Snowflake

I probably ought to wear the Snowflake less often than I do (has the odd mark) but it’s such a beauty. That said the Cocktail Time gets way more attention….

jerrys
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist. Just when i thought I had enough watches.

Just picked up a Scurfa Diver One (non date version). The lume on it is incredible !

wheeliegood
    Free Member

Just took delivery of Elliot Brown Tyneham from watchshop. 20% off, free next day delivery and free returns.
    Decided on EB after following these watch threads. Cheers

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

@wrecker

yep – that’s the one!

scratch
    Free Member

I’m about a year late as usual and most of them seem to have gone as they’re limited but if i have any change from xmas in Jan…

Sieko

I won’t have any change.

Kryton57

I was sitting looking at that and Mrs K went “No, no, no…”

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.