Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • CountZero

Just been looking back through this thread, can’t find any photos of my battered TAG, except with my other watches back near the beginning. This isn’t the best lit photo, but I couldn’t be bothered to go and get it out of the box I keep my watches in and take another, but it doesn’t look too bad for a watch bought around 1985…
    Thing is, it’s been worn a lot, and received a real bashing, I’m not precious about it, never was, really. I used to wear it on my bike, the bracelet used to rattle and drive me nuts, so I put an MBUK nylon/Velcro strap on, then Animal straps, then NATO, back to the original steel one for a bit, now it’s got the Bond 007 NATO as in the photo, which I think suits it rather nicely.

BigJohn

I’ve just returned from the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, where the mere threat of a service seems to have made my best watch start keeping time again. Maybe it was just being in the shop that healed it.
    It’s a 1952 14ct gold Rolex and still good for daily use.
    My other watch for rough stuff is a 2012 Timex Explorer in unflattering brown plastic.
    I’ve never seen the sense in anything in between, unless you’re getting a real enviable piece of horological art, just get the cheapest thing that keeps time and hasn’t got cartoon characters on it.

Kryton57

Bugger, my 5 Military battery has run out – it’s done well a months shy of 7 years.    Is there a recommended online place to send it?

johnners
    Free Member

Bugger, my 5 Military battery has run out

I didn’t even know there was a battery 5. Anyway, why not just do it yourself, it’s usually pretty straightforward. Unless it’s a diver and you really use it for diving that is.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Anyone got a recommendation for a silicone / rubber strap for a dive style watch? Don’t really like the expanding onesas they’re too chunky, thinking something slim and minimal but secure. I bought a Zuludiver one from ebay last week but it’s waaaaay to thick and doesn’t want to sit nice on my wrist.

lunge

I’ve just returned from the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, where the mere threat of a service seems to have made my best watch start keeping time again

@BigJohn
    , out of interest, which shop were you going to get a service done in?

BigJohn

Manna Jewellers, 16 Hockley St. Tatty looking shop but did some lovely work on a couple of rings needing re-sizing and they have a proper watch repairer who comes in. Very sensible prices.

CountZero

Anyone got a recommendation for a silicone / rubber strap for a dive style watch?

Horrid things! If you think a ZULU is too thick, and doesn’t sit nice, you’ll really hate a silicon rubber strap. They’re very stiff, and, unlike NATO/ZULU straps, they can’t breath, so your wrist will get very sweaty, and dirt and sweat will collect underneath and it’ll smell. The one I had for a very short while made my wrist come out in a rash and the skin started to peel and itch.
    They’re fine to wear over a wetsuit, but nasty to wear otherwise. The ZULU one I’ve got on my Yokobies Seiko 5 I posted a pic of a page or so back is no thicker than many leather straps, and thinner than many steel bracelets, NATO straps are usually thinner.
    If you want a comfy nylon strap, you won’t find a good thin one better than this one – it’s the original military issue type strap used before NATO straps were introduced, and is the exact replica of the one Connery had on the Rolex he wore in the first Bond film.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PSMIJKS/ref=pe_2340741_337602851_em_slvf_tm

athgray
    Free Member

I have silicone straps on a couple of watches. I buy mine from Barton watch straps on Amazon. You can go direct to them but they are US based. I got stung for import duty last time. I like their straps. They have two levels of silicone strap, a simple one tone plain strap, and a slightly more expensive patterned, two tone one.

Wally

JDM – from London Seiko Boutique store. Tiny 38mm for tiny wrists, Titanium on a Perlon strap from Eulit. Very comfy and great lume. Seconds are spot on markers. Seiko SBDN017.

Kryton57

Thats lovely, but my ocd… 😥

Wally

I was timing a nap, hence bezel off 12 O’clock. Also date now correct!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Very nice indeed. I have a kinetic (BFK) which keeps excellent time, I’ve been tempted with a solar – I presume they’re just as accurate?
    If its not too rude, what price was that?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Seiko SBDN017.

Very nice Wally, like the strap on it too. I had the PADI SBDN035 version of this but it was a bit too small for me. I’ve got an SDDN013 now which is a 40mm case size which I prefer. The seconds lined up perfectly on the SBDN035 but annoyingly are off on the 013, I’ve chosen to ignore it as I like the rest of the watch so much 🙂

Horrid things! If you think a ZULU is too thick, and doesn’t sit nice, you’ll really hate a silicon rubber strap.

Yeah I like a NATO strap but not in water which I use this watch for quite a lot over Summer, swimming etc. I’ve ordered a rubber Zulu strap off a guy on ebay who makes them to length. I’ll see what it’s like when it arrives and report back.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I have the Diver One which is quartz but I have one hell of an itch for this auto:

CountZero

I’m starting to toy with the idea of finding a cheap-ish Seiko SKX007, and modding it with Marine Master hands, a ceramic bezel insert with lume indices, and a stainless steel Tuna-type shroud. It’ll be a lot cheaper than a Marine Master Tuna, for certain!

cromolyolly
    Free Member

finding a cheap-ish Seiko SKX007,

Theres your first problem right there. The prices seem to have jumped again. The rumour of them being discontinued and replaced by the mini turtle aren’t going away so people are starting to think it might actually happen this time
    I wanted one with the applied markers but they stopped making them. So isteted thinking about a PMMM (poor mans marine master). Dial from several applied marker models fit and yobokies etc do bezels etc.
    I need to find an inexpensive skx first!

Can you ‘add’ a tuna shroud or is it part of the case?

Kryton57

Count zero, as I posted a few pages ago I was looking for a new beater and was originally looking for an skx009 – always wanted a Pepsi but something was holding me back.  But I was split on wanting a nice looking watch without a bracelet socially – which I already have (the Citizen) – then found myself drawn to the display case on the Seiko 5.   Sad as it may seem, having a Sea Urchin as well as a Samurai in named terms appealed also.  Literally two days ago I spotted this on a (Craig) Bond nato and knew it was the one for me:

Image result for snzf17 bond nato

£157 here, they have reduced price 007/009 also. https://www.citywatches.co.uk/product/seiko-5-sports-automatic-nato-strap-snzf17k1-nato1-mens-watch/

For me the nato and the display case is enough of a differentiator between this and my Samurai.

Kryton57

Actually I don’t mind saying it was inspired by your pic of your Tag.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Just thought I’d remind you all how gorgeous the Save the Ocean is:

tthew

Nice, but I’m still fancying the grey dawn version. Expensive though!

CountZero

@cromolyolly – this bloke makes them, there’s quite a lot to digest on his site:
    https://www.thetigeruk.com/the-tst.html

@kryton57
    – thank you, that’s kind of you to say so, and I must say your ‘5’ looks terrific! The face/hands combo works really well, nice looking watch. 😄
    Oh, and regarding the ‘cheap-ish’ 007, I’m not averse to picking up a second-hand one, (see what I did there), but at the moment it’s an idea I’m toying with; who knows, I might get a lottery win and can buy the spring-wound Marine Master Tuna I’ve promised myself!

CountZero

@kryton – that looks really good, face/hands combo is spot-on!

Can you ‘add’ a tuna shroud or is it part of the case?

The shroud fits around the case, and is held in place by small set-screws. There are clip-on plastic ones which give the look, especially as they’re black, and the MM Tuna shroud was Titanium, is now a super-hard ceramic, and is very dark in colour, but the plastic doesn’t fit so well.

derek_starship
    Free Member

My favourite G-Shock is now available in all metal.

Order placed. Delivery tomorrow.

Tonight will be like xmas eve.

stevemorg2

Just picked up a used Seiko divers watch – Pepsi bezel, 200m – I think it’s a 7002
    It’s got a bracelet but want to put a NATO on – anyone got any inspirational phots of a Seiko Pepsi on. NATO – maybe the Bond one?

Kryton57

Well, not pepsi but my Sea Urchin arrived….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gznWPc]20190715_110323[/url]

Since then I’ve changed the Nato so the buckle is under my wrist.  Its a bit smaller than the Prospex at 42mm but by ‘heck is hell of a lot lighter.  Looks great IMO and will wear well with a bit of “patina”…

Kryton57

Stevemorg2 – google Seiko Pepsi Bond Nato and click on images, there’s thousands

stevemorg2

Krypton57 – you are of course right – why didn’t I think of that!

CountZero

NATO – maybe the Bond one?

The genuine Bond one is what’s on my TAG in the photo at the top of this page. The grey and black ones are just a result of poor image quality just not showing actual colours, and the thin red bands just look like colour fringing. It was only looking at still frames from the BlueRay remaster that showed details of the Rolex Connery was wearing, which was actually Cubby Broccoli’s own watch, Rolex wouldn’t supply a watch for an unknown first film.

What’s really obvious is the strap doesn’t fit the watch properly, it’s far too narrow, and it’s not NATO, those weren’t issued until a couple of years or so later.

Kryton57

Wasn’t the original Bond “NATO” supposed to be regimental colours or did they make that up?   The assumed black/grey Bond NATO as on my watch was actually worn with an Omega by Daniel Craig in 2 of the recent films.

in other news and to celebrate paying off his mortgage a friend of mine has just brought the blue face Brietling SuperOcean Heritage 2 44.  My god it’s stunning, but I guess i should be for the price.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Update on my quest for a waterproof Nato style strap – I bought a rubber Zulu strap from https://www.yellowdogwatchstraps.com/
    He makes the straps to length going on your wrist size and requirements. There are a few different styles but I went for a plain strap with low profile brushed rings. Delivered within a few days and the quality is excellent, the guy from yellowdog is really helpful.
    SBDN013 on rubber ZULU
    SBDN013 on rubber Zulu
    I’ve been using it for about a week. For the first day or so it smelled a bit rubbery (natch!) but since then it’s unnoticeable. It’s very comfortable to wear, there’s a bit of stretch in it that the nylon nato’s don’t have. It’s obviously fully waterproof unlike the nylon’s which although don’t suffer damage take an age to dry and feel weird in the water. Other main benefit for me and for when I’m biking is it doesn’t slip around as much, even if it’s relatively loose. It’s a little bit thicker, and a little bit hotter than a standard nylon nato but overall I think it makes for a much more versatile strap and an excellent ‘tool watch’ strap. I’d highly recommend them.

lowey

Quick question, do you guys insure your watches separately or on the house insurance. Watch value is £5.6k.

Cheers.

Kryton57

My Tag is itemised at its current model value on the house insurance, but my other watches are low range the next expensive being the Seiko Prospex, so they’d be covered but the generic cover.

neilnevill
    Free Member

house insurance. out of interest i tried to get a quote from a specific high value jewelry insurer which my now wife was using for her engagement ring….they don’t touch watches, obviously onsidred them too high risk even though i could happily comply with all the same criteria as my wife and her ring, and the ring is far far FAR more expensive!

kilo

Just ordered a completely unnecessary Seiko from Japan, was toying with a diver but got a Magrette for that niche so went for something a bit subtle
    Seiko presage

lunge

That Kilo is a stunner. Which model is that?

kilo

Seiko Presage SARY107, about £390 excluding any duties and taxes. I haven’t got a dress type watch with a leather strap so it’s a nice addition to my pile of watches!

SEIKO AUTOMATIC PRESAGE SARY107 Made in Japan

Kryton57

Thats nice!

Yet – no thanks for posting the link, I see they have the Chronomaster that I want to save up for as a collectors item.  I really want to own the story of the unique Toshi paper dial and Samurai polishing method:

THE CITIZEN Eco-Drive AQ4020-54Y / Japanese traditional paper dial Made in Japan - seiyajapan.com

Yesterday I had a warm conversation with Mrs K regarding my new 5th watch vs her pile of 570 pairs of trainers, at least with this one there’s a few years of saving to do!

I think your presage is a recipient of the same polishing method?

plyphon
    Free Member

Quick question, do you guys insure your watches separately or on the house insurance. Watch value is £5.6k.

Cheers.

I have both my Omega and Rolex on our home contents. Was far far far cheaper than anything else I found. It seems bespoke ‘jewelry insurance’ is for £10k+ pieces before it makes any sense.

The real question is – do you insure at what you paid, current MSRP or current market price? All 3 can be different (and potentially much higher depending on watch).

neilnevill
    Free Member

oh cripes Kilo, thatis bl00dy gorgeous!

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.