Viewing 40 posts - 8,481 through 8,520 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • nicko74

Hey fellow watch nerds, question about after market deployant clasps. I’ve always had a preference for a deployant clasp on watch straps, and am looking for one now.
    The strap’s canvas, with holes, 18mm and about 3mm thick. I’m thinking of something like the Hirsch Sport single fold clasp (https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/products/hirsch-sport-deployment-clasp-silver). I’ve also looked at Artem, but given the width and the fact it’s not loopless, I don’t think any of their offerings quite hit the mark.

So what’s the best deployant you’d recommend? Budget up to £70 or so I’d say, and I’d prefer solid/ well made over cheap, given the choice.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Strapcode are good. Or look for something from zuludiver perhaps.  I left field option is the watchgecko octopod.  It’s not what you asked for though.

Or just go on ebay/etsy/aliexpress.   A 2 piece single fold deployant is not hard to get right and they ate cheap. BUT. Some people will say you need a new strap as the 12 and 6 o’clock pieces on a buckle 2 piece are different lengths. This may result in the deployant not sitting comfortably under the wrist with its curve closely hugging it.  I have not met this myself though (cheap fake omega deployant with a cheap sailcloth works fine for me and my seamaster)

cojacal

A year or so ago I stumbled on this vintage Longines: https://mrjoneswatches.com/products/longines-ref-5483-1947 … and I thought what a beautiful, if expensive, watch. Somewhat inspired by that watch I have a wee N+1 plan for the Christopher Ward homage to it or it’s style:  https://www.christopherward.com/aquitaine/c65-dune-automatic/C65-38ADA3-S00E0-WC.html

So I have a question for the collective wisdom of Watches N+1 – If I  N+1 this watch I’ll have a bona fide use case for a four watch winder. Any recommendations?

TIA

Saccades
    Free Member

Yeah, don’t get a watch winder.

You are just wearing out the movement and unless you are a serial Edwardian style wardrobe changer (multiple out fits in a day), what’s the point?

I’d need to have some serious complications in my movements to justify it.

For a deployment I love RHD, but they appear to have gone bump.

Kryton57

That Chris Ward came via my email inbox with pics and videos and boy, I immediately fell in lust with it, I’d love that as a “Holiday” watch.  But then again I say that about all the watches I have that arnt overly expensive and that I’d be happy overseas and in a pool/sea with.

The web pics don’t do it justice in the slightest.  It looks to have the depth & lume of the SMP, without the hefty price tag and albeit less celubrious / mechanically inferior, but still a damn good piece.     I’m still considering whether to let the overly large King Samurai and the Baltany go for one of these, but I’m a bit funny about owning another CW which competes with the sentimental one Mrs K bought me, in my head it removes the uniqueness of that sentiment.   I’m a bit odd that way.

kilo

The web pics don’t do it justice in the slightest.

That’s good because in the pictures it looks very underwhelming, just doesn’t seem to have anything about it (imho obvs).

igm

The C65 Dune above?

I reckon it’s lovely. The head on shot is a little flat, but the 3/4 picture showing the relief is gorgeous.

Presently desperately trying to convince myself I can’t afford / don’t want another watch.

Winning so far but you know what it’s like – sometimes your hand slips.

Kryton57

I am tempted to order one on the basis of the 60 day return option TBH.

😬

But then again it’s 5x the price of the Baltany 🥹

Kryton57

This is an interesting time, having just put the Nato shod Baltany back on the relieve me of “the look” – see Scapegoats post on p212 😀

Looking at the watch box reveals I’m favouring the round/ovoid indices of the SMP/Seiko Arnie and that C65.

I’m wearing my SMP mostly these days but am a little scared to take it overseas / damage it because of its value so I think my head is hunting for that credible-branded budget SMP-like alternative that wouldn’t get me robbed or cause concern.  So thats what attracts me to the C65 – a lot of dial similarity with SMP, yet a casual wallet friendly (ish) and respected but not Thief worthy branding.

Could this be the 6th entry into my 6 watch collection?   (SMP/Aquaracer/CW C65 Compressor/King Sam/Arnie).  Yet my head says no, the Arnie is the tool watch for that use.

w00dster

I like the Christopher Ward Kryton. Just thinking of other similar oval indices, maybe have a look at Yema Superman Maxi Dial or the Regent Yacht.

If you’ve already got a CW I think I’d be looking at an alternative brand. Maybe Elliot Brown as they have some similar?

Kryton57

The EB Bloxworth?  Yeah nice, I’d go black tropic or maybe the blue rubber for summer use although £625 is a lot for a quartz.  I’ve also looked at the Ti Certina action diver – the turquoise indices / nato as an option, but the grey dial feels a bit flat for me… …and I don’t feel emotional about it.

Kryton57

Boody hell, there’s a GMT also…..

neilnevill
    Free Member

Having had a CW,  the bronze diver…err c60 Pro iirc, I’d get one again. They are well made watches with a great spec for the price.  I would say Hunt out what you want used though,  or from one of their sales.

igm

@Kryton57 – stop it. I have a weakness for GMTs

Kryton57

😂

robbo1234biking

IMG_0759

we have been sorting through the late FILs things and come across this watch. It comes with the original certificate and is dated from 1984. He was the only ever owner of the watch. It seems in very good condition for something that is 40 years old. We have had it valued at a standard jewellers who said £1500. Looking online they seem to go for about £2800-£4000 but unsure what drives the price etc. as a layman what is the best thing to do?

mikertroid
    Free Member

@robbo1234biking Don’t go for the 1500 valuation. I would expect it to be worth more than that. Or keep it as a nice watch.

kilo

As above seems a low value – was that an insurance valuation or offer to buy it f the latter they are obviously putting in a margin on something that might not move that fast.

Its a nice watch but not ultra-trendy for Rolex hence could take longer to sell. Having papers helps, as would the box if you’ve got it.

As to what to do it’s a good 40 years old watch with family history – seems a shame to move it on but if it’s of no use there’s little point keeping it. .Would anyone in the family appreciate it?

robbo1234biking

No it meant something to her dad but not to anyone else. Her brother doesn’t want it. It’s very small! We would rather sell it and use the money to make some memories. You can’t take possessions with you and although it meant something to him that doesn’t translate to your own memories. not in a rush to sell it particularly so can wait for the right buyer to come along.

neilnevill
    Free Member

As kilo says,  that’s their offer I think not an insurance valuation.

If its got box and papers,  and in good condition as it looks,  it will be worth more BUT you say its small,  if it’s 34mm it’s a bit small for current fashion but would sell, 36mm is fine and desirable,  smaller than 34 is a bit less. It’s still a quality watch.

Where are you? One of the best and very trust worthy rolex dealers is in Chester.  A gentlemen named haywood Milton,  his shop is Milton’s millionaires.  He is often on tz-uk and I suspect trf (the rolex forum) and is very trusted.   I’d contact him.  Lots of photos of the case and bracelet,  he would want,  on order to properly verify it,  the bracelet removed and good photos of the model number and serial number which is etched between the lugs. Also all the numbers on the bracelet and the end links plus all paperwork… if you have any service history it will help. If you can get to good shop and he can get the back off to confirm the movement then he would give the most accurate price but I’d guess he’d give an accurate price from good photos.

The one thing that goes against a top top price is it likely needs a service.

My guess £3k.

Let us know how you get on.

robbo1234biking

Thanks @neilnevill thats really useful information. I have tracked down his website and will get in touch with him.

Yes I expect it will need a service I have no idea when the last service was!

neilnevill
    Free Member

A bit more info for you.  I’d expect a watch of that age to have folded end links and probably a folded link bracelet,  I’m not an expert on rolex but I know they were slow going to solid end links,  solid link bracelet and also milled clasps  ( yours will be folded)  These days a rolex bracelet is very very good,  but 80s, 90s, 00s when omega etc were getting good bracelets rolex were some way behind.   The folded link bracelets stretch.  So do solid ones as the pins wear but folded links really stretch as the links open a bit. If the watch was for best,  and the case condition may indicate that,  the bracelet won’t be stretched.  If bracelet is stretched but case is good,  case has been refinished, other way around and its a replacement bracelet.  Hold the watch by the clasp and out sideways,  if the bracelet droops lots its well stretched.  These are the sort of detail that help pin fish l down that value.

Kryton57

In a fit of madness I’ve found a desk diver that meets my criteria for a beach / pool watch:

• Cheap
    • Orange
    • Applied round/0void indices
    • Slightly chintzy
    • No emotional connection
    • great lume
    • drilled lugs

Can you guess what it is yet?  Should arrive later today….

ElShalimo

Invicta

🙃

boblo
    Free Member

Can you guess what it is yet?

Shit by the sound of it 🤪

I’m sure it’ll be lovely and you’ll be very happy together 🙃

ElShalimo

Cestrian or a Dan Henry?

IHN

Okay watchies, a bit of a challenge for you. I have a significant, allegedly, birthday at the end of the month and although I’m being asked what I would like have no real idea. I am partial to Seiko’s though, specifically manual/automatic ones. One of the things I like is that there are approximately fifteen bajillion different models, so you can find fairly funky/unusual/interesting ones.

So, with that in mind, what can you suggest/find that meets these criteria:

– Seiko
    – Preferably automatic, manual is okay though
    – Vintage/retro
    – ‘Different’. I know this is not exactly specific, but I like a bit of colour, or a funky function
    – up to £500, maybe a gnat’s over of I really love it

Fill your boots.

IHN

Nice try, but you have me a decade too old, sir.

ElShalimo

@IHN – look at the Seiko Presage cocktail time collection. The faces are stunning at their price point – they look like retro dress watches too

I’ve got an Irish Coffee one and it’s lovely

this one looks good

‘Midnight Mockingbird’ Presage Cocktail Time Power Indicator

Kryton57

Or, you can’t beat an Orange Seiko, although don’t get this one re my post above:

IMG_5243

Some of you might be thinking “but haven’t I seen that before?  Well yes, I had and then sold the 5kx GMT cause although I liked the look for holiday, the  friction bezel wasn’t working with my OCD.

But, I need an orange Seiko in my life and this won’t get my arm hacked off and looks good enough at the all inclusive Buffett….

IHN

look at the Seiko Presage cocktail time collection. The faces are stunning at their price point – they look like retro dress watches too

Hmm, there are some nice ones there. Being picky though I think I’d prefer ‘actually’ retro, than ‘looks’ retro

Kryton57

IHN you can go on chrono24 and do a search by year to get an indication of something you’d like, maybe a Pogue or Bellmatic….

This should be a search for you birth year: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/index.htm?currencyId=GBP&dosearch=true&manufacturerIds=226&maxAgeInDays=0&models=2945&pageSize=60&redirectToSearchIndex=true&resultview=block&sortorder=0&year=1974

cojacal

My n+1 Chris Ward Dune C65 arrived today. Very nice. Hard to photograph because every angle or light it looks very different. Very Charismatic. Here it is with a couple of other mechanical regular wearers:

IMG_2187

I asked about winders, and a bit suprised no positive responses. I’ve ordered a winder too if anyone is interested will post my thoughts! FWIW my GMT II in the pic is 1998, daily wearer for at least a decade and I have some older vintage watches … wound to max every day probably not ideal, but I’m 56 and I’m not going to outlive these watches no matter how I wind them!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Nice coke! Being stw… its there a hookers watch to go with?

What’s that on the right wherry lwirh the snowflake hands? Can’t make it out in my phone. San martin?

johnners
    Free Member

Not a fan of the Rolex myself – love the CW though, and the San Martin BB(58?) homage looks nice on that strap.

Kryton57

That’s a very nice trio “virtual like button press”

cojacal

The GMT II wouldn’t be my choice either, I inherited it and the connection with my father is such that I will never sell it, and I do enjoy it. What I find really mad is the economics of the thing – if you can afford the initial outlay these things are cheap as chips. That watch cost £1960 in 1998, and has been serviced twice since by Rolex at £500 each time. The first time at about eight years when I just thought it was due a service. Second time something broke, second hand oscillated backwards .. but still £500 Rolex service came back like new. Total cost thus £2960 over 26 years. That is £113 a year. When you consider what Garmin Fennix cost, that last typically three to five years,  this is mental. But here is the real gotcha … the Rolex 16710 is now valued and insured for £10500. Rolexes, cheap as chips .. who knew!

The San Martin cost me new £258. Finish wise it is just as lovely, really beatifully made, came with another Nato and a beatiful Rolex style bracelet of the same quality that I likely won’t ever use. Tudor design cues obviously which might not sit well with everyone. This one has chinese PT5000 clone of the ETA 2824 movement. For a couple of hundred more I could have ordered it with the same Sellita 2824 clone that is in the CW dune, or it would have been  less expensive with a seiko NH34 movement. The PT5000 £258 San Martin keeps time slightly better, but in the same ballpark, as the chronometer spec Rolex. If it doesn’t fail for another year annual purchase cost will be cheaper than the Rolex, but no appreciation obvs. YMMV!

beanum

@Kryton good choice on watch number 6. If you feel brave enough to modify it a little bit I recommend the MM300 hands I fitted to mine…

Sorry if I my bezel position triggers your OCD , but the palm trees are a clue that I wasn’t in my normal timezone 🙂

PXL_20230415_085510512

johnners
    Free Member

Tudor design cues obviously which might not sit well with everyone

It’s ok with me …

Viewing 40 posts - 8,481 through 8,520 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.