Viewing 40 posts - 6,241 through 6,280 (of 8,704 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • boblo
    Free Member

Excellent that they take photos

Special request. I’ve OD’d on all those YT vids that show someone servicing a welders Roly or some such and was curious about the guts of mine…

kilo

Looks great, love the photos. Were they expensive? The crown has come off my Thunderbird so I’m thinking of getting them to repair and service it.

Rolex crowns are very hard to find when they suddenly ping off in hotel rooms with thick rugs – guess how I know that!

boblo
    Free Member

Half the price of the official service centre in Mayfair. So £450 which I appreciate is still a lot for a watch service in anyones book.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Just picked up a cheap ballistic case from the ‘bay to “get those bloody watches off the coffee table”

Kryton57

That’s a decent collection.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Thanks. The C11 may or may not be for the chop as time goes on as I hardly wear it, but it was the first ‘proper’ watch I bought.

CountZero

Mmmm, I do like an Omega Speedy! Very nice indeed. I can’t ever really justify one, I already have a Yema chronograph, and I hardly ever use the stopwatch function on that, but it’s such a nice watch, with proper history behind it.

So £450 which I appreciate is still a lot for a watch service in anyones book.

That’s what I was charged by Deacons in Marlborough, that included a new mainspring and crystal as well as the service, but it’s a fifty-odd year old watch. Having said that, it has a Valjoux movement, which are still around. And it’s worth a lot more, now, too.

ElShalimo

Nice collection !

Harry_the_Spider

My case arrived today too.

A Seamaster and a load of has been G-Shocks.

ElShalimo

A rose amongst thorns

🙃😋

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I do like a nice timex.

Fudd
    Free Member

Here’s my latest arrival, a JDM only Seiko 7A28-6040 from 1984. It was listed as a non-runner and showing plenty of caked in dirt, but it fired up with a new battery which was nice.

The only problem was the pushers were jammed with dirt, so the case a bracelet got several cycles through the ultrasonic cleaner and all gaskets were replaced. I decided to re-brush the bracelet and clasp while I was at it –

I also fitted a sapphire with blue a/r but it looked out of place on an almost 40 year old watch, so the old one which was scratched but not enough to detract was refitted. The minute counter hand was ever so slightly out of alignment and bugging me so I was going to fix that, but as I’d originally planned to give the movement a full service…

TBC…

Fudd
    Free Member

And then a couple of hours later…

I’ll be honest and say that when it arrived I’d almost instantly decided I was going to sell it on – it’s a 37mm case and like nearly all Seiko’s it wears smaller than it’s true dimensions, but I decided to give it a week on the wrist and now that I’m used to it it’s safe for now. The biggest problem is that it’s got me looking at other 7A38’s so it may still get chopped if a 7030 appears for a good price…

ElShalimo

@Fudd – wow!

walowiz

@fudd wow, very impressive.

It would have taken me a few weeks, not just a few hours. That’s if I could remember how it all went back together.

tthew

Ah, someone was asking a few days ago who could swap a crystal, and I was racking my brains to try and remember the user name. Fudd could do it, that’s who!

Nice job.

boblo
    Free Member

DIY watch repairs or send to Fudd. Brilliant sequence, thanks.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Just picked up a cheap ballistic case from the ‘bay to “get those bloody watches off the coffee table”

Nice Fortis! What movement is in it?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Nice Fortis! What movement is in it?

it’s a Valjoux 7750. It’s a lovely watch, have the bracelet as well but prefer it on the rubber strap. There’s loads of fakes of the 3 hand around, the Chronograph, not so much.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Very nice, I’ve been after a lemania powered one for a while with the large minute chrono hand that’s been a revelation on my current chronograph.

Kryton57

@Fudd – wow + 1

bob_summers

Lovely stuff @Fudd. Didn’t know there was so much to a quartz watch.

I like that it’s on the Japanese day display! I leave my Seiko 5 on Japanese days because I can never be bothered to set the correct weekday on the 1st!

Kato

@Fudd that’s fantastic work

Kryton57

My STOC here…

… with the Vostock Batman GMT in mothballs.

Kryton57

Oh Lordy:

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Makes the classic design fail of cutting off a random bit of a number with a sub-dial. Lazy.

Wally

Fudd : Amazing +1

Fudd
    Free Member

Thanks y’all!

Lovely stuff @Fudd. Didn’t know there was so much to a quartz watch.

I like that it’s on the Japanese day display! I leave my Seiko 5 on Japanese days because I can never be bothered to set the correct weekday on the 1st!

Most collectors have no idea how a quartz works and can be dismissive of them, but once you understand them and see the similarities with mechanicals you gain a new appreciation for them.

Unfortunately the early 80’s was a high point for Seiko quartz (GS and Credor excepted obvs) as they learnt that they could make plates and wheels out of plastic thus requiring no lubrication, and they could make the coils part of the circuit board to save production costs, so now most modern quartz are disposable when they eventually stop working.

As for the Kanji day on display – if you’re wearing a JDM watch then them’s the rules.

walowiz

@Kryton57

Oh Lordy

That is very nice, looked a bit classsy and possibly expensive, so I googled the anticipated price, as on their web site as it’s officially price on application.

Blimey £134,000 ! Holy moly.

Kryton57

on their web site as it’s officially price on application

Lol, when I saw that I didn’t bother going any further. I hadn’t noticed the clipped 11 that Ivandobski points out, what a shame, but £134k for a watch… 😳

I may go googling for Fudd’s Seiko speedy later, I keep coming back to that post – what a great series of pics as always.

ElShalimo

Has anyone got an automatic Certina DS Podium? Reviews are a bit sparse

Also, Certina and Tissot are part of the Swatch group but are some of the models the same case with different dials? There’s a lot of similarities

Kato

Back down to 4 + an Apple Watch.  The battered gold Seiko was my grandfathers so for sentimental reasons stays.  The Stowa I bought last month was lovely but wore a bit small and needed to leave to balance the books on the Speedmaster.  Think I do want a G-Shock though. Even if I won’t wear it much

Harry_the_Spider

Think I do want a G-Shock though. Even if I won’t wear it much

Can’t go wrong with a G-Shock. The black one in my photo is from 1996 and I can confidently predict that I was wearing it every time I fell off a bike, built a wall, painted the house, went on camp, or did anything else that involved hurting myself or getting covered in filth. Still going strong. The paint has come away from the buttons and I could replace the case, but it has history with me. If I want a pristine one they are about £50 from Creation Watches.

lunge

Think I do want a G-Shock though. Even if I won’t wear it much

With working from home, my G-Shock is my most worn watch by a mile. I’ll wear something else if I’m out and about bit given I spend most of my days at home the G-Shock stays on my wrist.

Kryton57

Thanks for having this conversation AFTER I sent the Casioak back 😀

kilo

About to go off to watch hospital.

Broken thunderbird

Kryton57

Nice, but a worn Jubilee if ever I saw one!

Kato

Thanks for having this conversation AFTER I sent the Casioak back

You can always buy another!

Kato

+1 is the rules after all 😂

Kryton57

I put the 5 GMT on a Zulu waffle, looks better than the Jubilee I think:

This is possibly my holiday watch (or is it… lol).

Viewing 40 posts - 6,241 through 6,280 (of 8,704 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.