Viewing 40 posts - 6,281 through 6,320 (of 9,115 total)
  • Watches N+1…
    SSS
    Free Member

@kryton57 Did you go and see and try on the Tudor?

@kilo
    Know how you feel. Rolex Speedking went in for a service with new crown tube, new crown and new ‘crystal’ fitted with Calibre. All done for the princely sum of £240. Very reasonable

Kato

Quite like those GMT seikos. How are you finding it?

Kryton57

@kryton57 Did you go and see and try on the Tudor?

No I had to stay later in the week than anticipated in Gloucester last week so I missed it and am therefore now next on the list.

Quite like those GMT seikos. How are you finding it?

Well, in my simplistic terms my moans and niggles are… The friction bezel doesn’t normally move itself, but has moved at times as I must of brushed against something. Obs it takes 2 secs to re-align so depending on your OCD levels/time tracking requirements some people don’t like that. The crown is a tad fiddly to wind as it isn’t screw down therefore it doesn’t pop out for winding, and its close to the guards, and I’m not sure about the Cyclops TBH. It relatively but not overly heavy – I wouldn’t have thought it’d sit well on a NATO that wasn’t tight for example.

Other than that its a very quiet unfussy watch, just gets on with the job in the typical NH34/35 way and has the propensity to look more expensive that it is at times.

I found this review and pics quite accurate: https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/seiko-5-gmt-review-and-info/

kilo

@SSS
    Yes mine’s going off to Calibre too. I sent them a link to this thread after their photos were shared, I think they were quite chuffed to be getting such good press and they said they’d do some photos of mine too.

CountZero

@fudd wow, very impressive.

It would have taken me a few weeks, not just a few hours. That’s if I could remember how it all went back together.

Yeah, the one very good reason why I refuse to ever consider trying to take a watch apart!

Nice Fortis! What movement is in it?

it’s a Valjoux 7750. It’s a lovely watch, have the bracelet as well but prefer it on the rubber strap. There’s loads of fakes of the 3 hand around, the Chronograph, not so much.

Pretty sure that’s the same movement that powers my Yema Rallygraf; no, just checked, it’s the 7736, from 1970-79. 3-register, though.

Ah, someone was asking a few days ago who could swap a crystal, and I was racking my brains to try and remember the user name. Fudd could do it, that’s who!

Nice job.

That was me, and indeed, a nice job. I thought about Fudd, but I didn’t want to impose on his good nature.
    If you’re ok with replacing the crystal with a proper sapphire one, Fudd, I’d be delighted! I’ve no idea what a quality sapphire crystal costs, I guess they can’t be too expensive. Nothing else really needs doing to the watch, I guess I’ve had it getting on for 10-12 years now, but it hasn’t been worn excessively, and it seems to be keeping pretty good time, so I doubt a service would be worth doing.

Let me know what you think, ok? I can live with the scratches, but they’re a bit unsightly.

Fudd
    Free Member

The SPORK? If so then we talked about it a while back and there was no sapphire option available – the crystal has a bevelled edge to clear the insert so you can’t fit a generic crystal, and there was no aftermarket sapphire I could find. Original is the only option and I couldn’t find one of those either.

Or I might be getting mixed up and you’re talking about something else..?

ElShalimo

@kato – I eventually succumbed to the Seiko Presage Irish Coffee as I found it for £300 at a UK shop. I hope it’s as nice in the flesh as no local shops had it.

I think I’ll end up changing the strap as the reviews point out it’s not great

CountZero

Hi, Fudd, sorry, that was a while ago, and that conversation had slipped my mind, a lot’s happened since! The fact that OEM Hardex crystals don’t seem to be available is a bit of a concern, that could make my watch unwearable, if the crystal sustained damage that might compromise it’s water resistance. 🙁

bungle

DUFA Anyone? Just acquired one of these for this month’s N+
    41mm, bezel and face both navy blue so not as bright as the pic

kilo

Could do with a few more lines on the face ;)

Looks quite nice

ElShalimo

What is a gangreserve ?

🤔

bungle

German for power reserve I guess…Freitaucher – Freedivers

Blue

IvanDobski
    Free Member

12hr bezels should be more common imo.

Kryton57

I hope it’s as nice in the flesh as no local shops had it.

I’m deciding between that and an Orient Sun & Moon white dial as a dress watch currently. Please post up pics when it arrives!

ElShalimo

@kryton57 – will do !

There’s too much choice so it’s hard to get it wrong

Bregante

This thread is lethal. I’ve gone from being a one watch owner to a three watch owner in a matter of months.
    My new day to day watch.
    Citizen Garrison Eco-Drive Titanium.

A photo of this watch on a green NATO caught my eye the other week and I decided to do a bit of research and decided it was just what I wanted.

I Ditched the standard strap (not a lover of metal straps generally although the Ti on this is quite a nice darkish brushed grey) in favour of a nice selection of nato’s. Think I like the Bond at the moment although they all look pretty good (in my humble opinion) and it’s very very light..

Black

bond

green

derek_starship
    Free Member

Nice field watch that Breg. And no battery changes to worry about. Is the lume good?

ElShalimo

@derek_starship

Look here about 6m30

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I really like those Citizens, looked at them in the metal a few times and keep thinking I should get one.

ctk

Really nice Citizen

ElShalimo

They do a version with a thick brown leather strap. It looks lovely

Bregante

derek_starship
    Free Member
    Nice field watch that Breg. And no battery changes to worry about. Is the lume good?

I tried to post a photo last night but Imgur seems to be playing up. To be honest I’m not blown away with the lume. Didn’t seem to be particularly bright and needed total darkness to be visible. Not really a massive issue for me though. Overall I’m really pleased with it.

ctk

Am I daft for wanting a Japan made Gshock over a Chinese one?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Chuffed with my Marlin

Really pleased with this Timex Marlin.

dmorts

Tissot PRX 40mm…. noticed a colleague had a blue auto one of these and I got to briefly drape it over my wrist. It fits a lot better than I expected. I liked them but always thought it wouldn’t fit my wrists. Now the question is do I still want one, and if so which one?

The quartz probably makes more sense, but then isn’t the lure of these a very nice Swiss auto for £500? I might prefer the Quartz dial though, at least the blue. The white quartz looks great in the Tissot catalogue shots but nowhere near as sharp in people’s reviews of it.

Then I might just be over them, although I guess others are too so second hard bargains might be available.

ElShalimo

My brother has the blue dial quartz PRX with the on the bracelet – it’s very nice, much nicer in the daylight than the photos

Blazin-saddles

but then isn’t the lure of these a very nice Swiss auto for £500

they’re over £600 rrp now. I paid £470 for mine from an eBay seller, but was still brand new with all plastic on it. A few used ones were selling for the just over £400 mark and Quartz was around £300,

ElShalimo

Francis & Gaye are selling multiple PRX variants with 15% off

Use code: FG15Z

https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/watches-c2/prx-t1606

Kryton57

Hamilton Murph 38 or champagne dial Field King?

I own the latter but I know where there’s a 15% discount on the former which as a dressier GADA better fulfils my brief with its 100m water resistance. Yet, no morse code, so is it really a Murph?

Kryton57

Refreshed the collection a bit just by swapping straps:

Not sure if it works, but I’m more inclined to wear the Hamilton casually with that Nato.

CountZero

@Fudd – I’ve found someone selling mineral glass, (Hardex, iow) crystals to fit the SPORK; I searched using the movement number on the caseback – 4R15-00D0.

Not too fussed at the moment about getting it fitted, I’m just pleased I’ve got one ready in case I really need it, and nobody’s got one.

ElShalimo

Has anyone bought from MKS straps recently (used to be Monkey Swag) ?

Are they still good?

ElShalimo

FYI, Monkey Swag a.k.a MKS are now effectively operating as wholesale only with min order £150

igm

Never had a bad strap here.

https://www.watchgecko.com

Blazin-saddles

I’ve used the straptailor for quite a few, seem good quality to me…

I also seem to have had a n itchy trigger finger, NWD again! G-Shock doesn’t do anything for me, been looking for a while to scratch a digital itch and couldn’t resist at 40% off.

Kato

That’s a cool watch!

Bregante

Love that Hamilton. I mean, I absolutely love that.

I don’t need another watch. Can’t afford one anyway but if I could, I’m not sure I’d resist..

derek_starship
    Free Member

Sorry to piss on your ahem watch blazin but that Hamilton is not all that.
    I bought one new from Sellors in 2021 and I was really disappointed.
    I have to say, the build quality is superb but the functionality is not.

The so called hybrid display is great when illuminated but unless you’re in bright sunlight, it’s barely legible. In blazin’s photo, he’s hit the button to light it up.

Functions? Time oh and seconds that display for a woeful duration (10 s)such that it’s a gimmick at best. Date? No. Option of 24h? No.
    I’m just glad I managed to sell mine to another dreamer!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Isn’t that the point though?

It literally tells the time when you press the button, otherwise it’s asleep?

I’ve always really liked them and finding out it doesn’t do 24hr pretty much rules it out entirely even if it was a remote possibly anyway but I’m not sure how you’d ever end up with one and think you were getting a Fenix 9 or whatever.

Blazin-saddles

Derek. Isn’t that all most watches do? Tell the time? I bought because I like it and think it looks pretty cool and it looks well made, the same buying decisions I make se when buying mechanicals as well. I wasn’t expecting, or needing a ton of functions I don’t use. You didn’t like it, that’s fine, there’s a whole lot of watches in the world for everyone, be boring if everybody liked the same thing.

I actually like the fact it’s not lit up like a Christmas tree all the time, and I know if it’s AM or PM generally unless I’ve had a really bad day!

Viewing 40 posts - 6,281 through 6,320 (of 9,115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.