Viewing 40 posts - 4,961 through 5,000 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kato

My GMT and BB41 both were 50mm lug to lug with a 41mm. Female endlinks though so didn’t wear too big. What’s the lug to lug on the bronze one?

Don’t find the bracelets bad at all, but the finishing of the bracelet and case is far below my new Seamaster. I’m fact when my wife saw my GMT for the first time she said it looked just like my old SKX009, which didn’t go down well hahaha

Kryton57

What’s the lug to lug on the bronze one?

52mm 🙁

There is a considerable down turn and actually my phone camera make it look worse than it is, but with a near 15mm depth due to the back of the watch being quite proud the lugs look like they are “over” my wrist

SSS
    Free Member

@kryton57 Those look big! Did you find and try the Oris or Certina?

Kryton57

No, I ran out of time to catch a train, but thats my next step. I also saw the new Seiko Padi compact, and just wasn’t impressed as it doesn’t look as good as the internet pics – unusually for a watch IMO.

w00dster

When wearing my BB58 the strap isn’t ideal as it’s not as easy to get to the correct fit as my Rolex.
    But I’ve put a few lbs on and it’s now a good fit!
    When I first got mine I posted on here saying I didn’t like the bracelet but feels fine now.
    In terms of not feeling like a £3k watch. All subjective as it doesn’t feel like a £5k cheaper watch than my Rolex.

Kryton57

It’s a fair point, and of course the bracelet wasn’t fitted to me and I was in a rush. I should go back and play with it over a bit of time – drinking the coffee I was offered.

He did want to show me a very nice bronze on black leather IWC but I couldn’t stay.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Kryton what size is your wrist? I’m not surprised the bronze bay wears big, it does look nuts in your photo, both good and bad nuts. I am firmly if you love a watch you learn to cope no matter the size…. But that does look huge.

The blue bb58 doesn’t do it for me, the original black seems better imv. I agree that the case and dial and bracelets may not feel £3.3k but it’s a tool watch and has a great movement. An excellent pre owned current SMP seems a different League though, for the same money (eg, march 22 watch, silver dial on rubber strap £3400 on tz-uk currently, listed since 21st).

Shane about the seastar, it looks great in the photos but I did think it might have a long lug to lug.
    Certina use the powermatic 80 movement.
    Oris worth a good look, tend to be thick though I think.

Where are you btw, if you want to see a SMP, po, pelagos, 62mas and CW C60 Pro bronze then I would be happy to oblige.

Kryton57

I have a 6.5 inch wrist, a bit like woodster I lost weight so 5 years ago I was 7 inch.

It’s bizarre because my arnie at 51.3 lug to lug looks and fits great, but I guess that’s a unique shape. The blue bb58 was just for sizing, I wouldn’t buy the blue one either. I’m sitting here looking at Planet Oceans and Superoceans on their (watches of Switzerland) pre owned page.

Thanks for that amazing offer, I’m in north London but do travel around, it’d be amazing to see those. After leaving WoS it occurred to me I need to spend some time in there trying on different pieces and seeing what suits / where my heart goes – things look very different IRL than on the web pages, and this isn’t an everyday purchase for me. I couldn’t buy/wear that Bronze BB though without the niggle that it’s not quite right in my mind, and that doesn’t sit well with me.

Edit: And actually that last para is a testament to this thread for me. Since the first post there so much to learn and enjoy from everyone’s contributions it’s a real pleasure to write about what perhaps feels like a confusion or indecision but is actually a finer consideration based on an understanding and respect of the many facets of watch design and manufacture. What a great place to be.

SSS
    Free Member

If looking at preowned, i like browsing the Blowers Jewellers page FWIW. I find the site easy to use, not cluttered or muddled or busy and gives a good indication of prices.

I havent bought or sold any from them though, just like browsing

Blowers Jewellers

gaidong
    Free Member

I’m picking this up this afternoon, all going well. It’s for my mum’s 70th, going half with my bro. She has a graveyard of semi-nice watches (Omega Constellation 2-tone, Ebel 2-tone etc, she was a right yuppie) but they’re all too small for her to read now. The Tissot is only 30mm but she refuses to go any larger. I even offered an 18k Tissot at 32mm but she didn’t want it as too big (Tissot has about the cheapest solid gold watches you can find new, but she’d rather have PVD at 30mm, so good for me I guess).

Anyway, while at the AD I’ll be pestering for a Milgauss, and pervin’ on some BB FFs.

Kato

I sold my BB41 to Blowers and it was a painless experience. I’d certainly buy from them

That said I found they’re a bit slow with emails so best to ring them

fogliettaz
    Free Member

After reading this thread over the years and listening to my son go on about his Rolex, I saw this watch, liked it and bought it.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

null

Kato

Can’t see you photo, what is it?

gaidong
    Free Member

Interesting visit to the AD yesterday. Mum’s watch ordered and paid for, then time to play! Speedie Pro first, sapphire sandwich. Much better fitting than my FOIS, since sold. I like it a lot, probably more than any other reaqonably attainable chrono but it’s very sterile.

Then I tried on a Blancpain FF in gold, which is all they had in store apart from a green Bathyscaphe, which I found very austere. The 45mm is simply voluptuous, and beautifully fitting for such a large case. I did try some others but can’t even remember, so probably not on the ‘possible’ list! On the Rolex front, my salesman, who I have known since 2013, did tell me clearly that there is no list now. Access depends on previous and accompanying purchases. I’m after a Milgauss Z-blue, before they’re discontinued, and I’m getting my wife a Cartier Tank Americaine for her next birthday anyway.

I did pop into the Blancpain boutique on Place Vendôme, which had titanium and steel FF models. The X71 bracelet is beautiful but my favourite comes on sailcloth only. Like a very upmarket Pelagos, the blue dial in titanium. Glorious!

neilnevill
    Free Member

That is some shizzle! Looks great. I love the sapphire bezels. Sail cloths are comfy and I like the look. B I’ve put my seamster on one, black with white striving l stitching to match the dial and I think it’s awesome. If knew where i could get sail cloths made to order/selected colours I’d love a blue with light brown stitching for my bronze CW, and a blue with white stitching for my pelagos.

SSS
    Free Member

@gaidong So what is the story with the Milgauss-Z? If you have a rapport with the salesman, you get access and a chance to acquire one?

The FF is nice, but i personally have to admit i like the Aqua Lung – Leman Grande Date – better if i was going to have a Blancpain (yes i know Putin wears one but thats irrelevant)

duncancallum

Well my Stw elliot brown arrived today, will get some pics up.

Very solid watch, feels weird on the wrist as my main watch is a bracelet Seiko Diver

Very happy with it

Kryton57

Bloody hell that Blancpain is a stunner!

Last night ~ I went from a Bronze CW up to a Blue IWC Pilot Chrono 41. I’m never looking at that Blowers site again.

gaidong
    Free Member

@SSS, in late 2013 I got my Tudor BB from Louis Pion, as they were the only place to offer me a (tiny) discount for cash. July 2020 and I’m looking for an OP… Nothing nothing nothing all over Paris, until I stroll into my now current AD. The salesman said, ‘it’s your lucky day’, or words to that effect, and sold me the penultimate 116200 in Paris (I’d called everywhere). I had a funny feeling I recognised the guy… Only when I got my Tudor BB serviced at my new AD last year did I realise that the salesman was same one who originally sold it to me.

Back to 2020, what I really wanted was the Explorer 1, 214270, which I told the guy after he sold me the OP. In December 2020 the Explorer1 came through. I’ve also bought a SBGN005 and my Pelagos at the same AD. I was after a Deepsea but then the price rocketed and now they’ve degraded the 3rd series model, IMO. I had already discussed getting a Cartier for my wife, so asked my chances for a Milgauss. If they get one in I think he’ll probably give it to me.

I’ve already been told, no more than one Rolex pro per year (which I couldn’t afford more than the base models anyway) but this time he said directly, there is no waitlist, it’s all on relationship. I know he’s a salesman but I don’t think he’s bullsh1tting me. His manager makes the ultimate choice for Rolex attribution.

SSS
    Free Member

@kryton57. Buy it. You won’t be judged here. We will still respect you in the morning…

@gaidong
    Hope you get it. Sounds like you have good rapport. My Rolex AD I used got the cull a few years ago when they shrunk the AD network. Walked into Laing’s in Glasgow looking for a Lady DateJust (279174) a few months back and didn’t get time of day from them. Zero interest from them. I can wait….

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m the big five-oh later this year and toying with a watch to replace my abused Seiko5.

I like plain cases with brushed or vapour blasted surfaces rather than polished, must have a date and has to have Arabic numbers. Metal bracelet only.
    Aka field/tool or Flieger watches. Do not want a divers.

I’m an engineer so my watches get a hard life. I’m wanting something that can be rebuilt/repaired as required and kept going for the rest of my life.

A watch that is closest is an Oris Propilot date (the turbine effect is the only negative) – but I’m not sure how long term ‘repairable’ they are as I’m not knowledgeable enough about watches.

Can anyone suggest anything similar? Or comment on Oris.

Budget is possibly upto £5k

neilnevill
    Free Member

let’s see if I can do this….seamaster on sailcloth…

and snide deployant

I’ll probably cut the fixed keep off

Kato

Sellita in the propilot I think.  Any watchmaker can service that.  I like them, nearly bought one in fact, but bought the black bay instead

RustyNissanPrairie

Sellita in the propilot I think. Any watchmaker can service that. I like them, nearly bought one in fact, but bought the black bay instead

Yes – Sellita movement, it was more would bracelets parts/crowns etc – IE Oris specific parts be available long term?

My procession’s increase in ‘value’ the longer they perform a role as I own them – I would hate to get 20 years into a watch and then have it unrepairable for some reason.

Ideally I would like a Rolex AirKing but I’m not prepared to pay inflated prices or befriend a salesman to buy a watch!

neilnevill
    Free Member

RNP, Oris should be serviceable without trouble. they used to use the ubiquitous ETA movements, not sure what it is they use currently but they will be easy to get repaired.

how about an Explorer? prices have peaked and are coming down so that might actually be in budget shortly.

TheFlyingOx

RNP have you considered Damasko? A few of their models tick all your boxes and are considerably cheaper than £5k, e.g.

gaidong
    Free Member

@rustynissanprairie, you said your new watch must have a date, and then said an.Airking would be ideal. If you really want an Airking, hold out for that. Not all ADs are a-holes and you’re not asking for hen’s teeth Daytona or ubiquitous Sub date. As Neil said, demand is easing.

gaidong
    Free Member

Ball Engineer? COSC and way under budget.

TheFlyingOx

Just been looking at Damaskos, seems the DA38 pic above is no longer available as a new watch. Might get lucky on Chrono24 but if you don’t mind a couple of  complications you can find their chronographs around the £2k mark:

and then another ~£700 for a steel bracelet.

Alternatively you have the Sinn 856:

gaidong
    Free Member

Oh yes, and the 856 can be had tegimented!

RustyNissanPrairie

@rustynissanprairie, you said your new watch must have a date, and then said an.Airking would be ideal. If you really want an Airking, hold out for that. Not all ADs are a-holes and you’re not asking for hen’s teeth Daytona or ubiquitous Sub date. As Neil said, demand is easing

yeah my bad about the lack of date – the AirKing made the list due to the increased repairability over Oris.

I’ve looked at Sinn – they tick all my requirements but they look a bit ‘cold’ possibly featureless? I need to see one in the flesh.

Wanders off to Google the Ball engineer….

Thanks for the suggestions so far 👍

gaidong
    Free Member

I had a Sinn UX, the quartz ultra-diver. How to put it, their coldness is their charm. Fit and finish is excellent and the tegiment really is hard to scratch.

Kryton57

Buy it. You won’t be judged here. We will still respect you in the morning…

I think if I bought a £5.5k watch with “our” savings there wouldn’t be a morning. This could however be a stealth purchase overseas as I’m shortly to go to a city with a large watch focused mall.

Kato

That’s the Damasko I like but it looks like the one with arabics has been discontinued

If I was looking now for a pilot style watch it would be one on the Type A Stowa fliegers

gaidong
    Free Member

I could (and do) spend all day looking for watches for other people. Somehow it’s less selfish and unproductive than me looking at watches all day for myself. I used to do this with bike parts to (and know all the specs) but they don’t do it for me any more. I do have enough bike parts to last until the next glaciation though…

*sorry for mentioning bikes on this thread 😀

gaidong
    Free Member

I do have quite a soft spot for Ball watches (cannot abbreviate to ‘Balls’ obvs). I’ve been eyeing this very nice complete calendar moonphase chronometer, for less than €3k!

And for Rusty, how about this work by day….

party hard by night!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/rolex-air-king-5500-vintage-falted-bracelet-silver-dial-plexi-glas-automatic–id23719219.htm

What about a birth year Air King? Misses a couple of your requirements (this is stw after all) but there are options with a date .

igm

I’ve had the GMT version of that Oris ProPilot for about 6 years.

It does the “it’s a watch, it tells the time” thing really well.
    Understated, very legible, stable on the wrist.

I had an issue with it not being properly regulated when it arrived, but that was quickly and easily sorted with no quibbling.

I think there was 10% off for a credit card, not the 0% finance deal.

RustyNissanPrairie

The tritium Ball’s piqued my interest but a Google shows not a particularly long life for the tube’s. Replacement is by exchange of the entire face subject to Ball still making them.
    I’m probably over analysing things.

I’ve thought about a year specific Rolex/Omega etc but I don’t know enough about watches to know a ‘genuine’ watch, and it’s also someone else’s patina.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,961 through 5,000 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.