Home Forums Bike Forum Vorspring Smashpot

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Vorspring Smashpot
  • andyjh

Couple of questions for those experienced in this coil conversion kit.

Firstly, does the spring itself have markings for the weight? I can’t remember what spring I went with in the end and it’s been a while since I rode the bike it’s fitted too! I think I may want a lighter spring but need to check what I have in there currently.

Secondly, is changing the spring a simple job? I didn’t fit the kit, had a local shop do it and they said the whole process was a bit of a faff. Hoping changing springs isn’t as bad….

Lastly, anyone taken the kit out and gone back to air? Not that I’m unhappy, quite the opposite. Been thinking of upgrading to a Grip2 damper and today I was offered a 2019 fork with the Grip2 for less than the damper upgrade. Ideally I would like to move the Smashpot over and return mine to air and sell. Is this feasible? Appreciate they say it’s not a reversible upgrade due to the coil knocking against the inner of the fork. Just wondered if anyone had done it though?

Northwind

They’re colour coded, I can’t actually remember how they’re marked but you can find the colour codes here. Probably paint marks on the coil, but I’m drawing a blank
    https://www.tftuned.com/vorsprung-smashpot-spring/p3561

I have a 40 spring if that’s any use to you btw.

Changing the spring is easy. Wee bit messy and I was slightly peeved that it doesn’t come with all of the heatshrink that it recommends you use in a 36, but that was trivial. You do need to replace the oil in that leg so I figure you might as well do a lowers service at the same time.

Don’t know about changing back.

lardman
    Free Member

Yep, it’s a little painted mark/stripe on the coil.

Although one of the springs I tried didn’t have anything on it that I could see. So maybe not much paint.

I haven’t converted back, nor will I. So can’t attest to airworthiness after.

singlespeedstu

Easy enough to change the spring yes.
    Read the instructions and make sure you get the 9mm gap right when you’re doing the preload adjustment or it’ll either rattle or top out.
    The fitting instructions have a section on changing the spring at the end.
    And yes there’s a paint mark on the spring to denote what weight it is.

andyjh

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Knowing that there is a marking on the spring, can I simply remove the top cap to take a look at my current spring rating without having to mess with oil etc? I assume so form what you are saying?

@Northwind
    , what’s your riding weight just for a gauge for that spring? I’m probably about 95Kg’s in riding gear and I think I have a 50 spring and considering a 45.

Also, if no heat shrink supplied, is there a recommended type to use?

Still trying to work out the best course of action here. Bought the new forks today and really want to put the Smashpot conversion in them from the off. Do I sell my forks with current Smashpot fitted, or will that put people off?

RichPenny
    Free Member

To piggyback on this, mine are booked in next week at TF Tuned. Andy, why are you switching to a 45 spring? Not quite soft enough? Am a bit heftier than you so was aiming at a 55, wondering if 50 might be better?

singlespeedstu

what’s your riding weight just for a gauge for that spring? I’m probably about 95Kg’s in riding gear and I think I have a 50 spring and considering a 45.

You also need to know what length travel to get the correct weight spring.
    I’m 90GK and running a 45 spring in a 180 fork and 55 in a 150 fork

andyjh

@RichPenny, just thinking about it as an option. My current setup works well once things get lively but still feels harsh on normal trail chatter. I’m also not sure if the guy who fitted got the preload correct etc. and I have some noise from the fork leg so I am thinking something isn’t quite right.

andyjh

@singlespeedstu, good point, thanks. I’m currently running a 160mm fork but also want to change to 170mm. Probably work keep the spring the same with a slightly longer travel then to try.

Northwind

andyjh
    Subscriber

@Northwind
    , what’s your riding weight just for a gauge for that spring? I’m probably about 95Kg’s in riding gear and I think I have a 50 spring and considering a 45.

Also, if no heat shrink supplied, is there a recommended type to use?

I’m a little over 70kg geared up, with a 160mm fork. I think I wanted 45 originally but they were sold out so I went 40. It was a fair bit too soft though which is why I went to 50- it seems right, I figure if it’s not then at least I know I need a 45 but if I’d gone 45 I’d never have been sure if 50 might be better!

It included one layer of heatshrink but for some 36s you need two. I just threw it in with one layer, seems OK.

wzzzz
    Free Member

How long has the coil been in? I guess it scratches up the inside of the leg where the seal on the airshaft runs.

You’d have to take it apart and inspect to make a decision, then test ride a while to see if it loses air.

Or risk leaving the buyer with a leaky fork.

Can you not swap the damper over from the newer fork instead?

andyjh

@wzzzz, not that long really but worth checking the area as you suggest. Wouldn’t fell good about selling a leaky fork! I seem to remember that the Vorsprung conversion is less prone to scratching than the Push….

I think there are various upgrades to the forks themselves to make them stronger and lighter, normal advancements but doubt it’s a huge difference. Worth thinking about though, nice idea.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Vorspring Smashpot’ is closed to new replies.