• This topic has 18,796 replies, 528 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by timba.
Viewing 40 posts - 10,081 through 10,120 (of 18,797 total)
  • Ukraine
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

No satellite imagery of the Chongar bridge yet?

alpin
    Free Member

Seen clips, geolocated 1.6km from the airbase…. All the blocks of flats have shattered windows.

Hard to imagine that much of the equipment on the base managed to survive unscathed.

Quite enjoyed the videos of the Russian girls in tears because they have to leave the Crimea and the other one who had their reservation at a hotel in Vienna cancelled after she videoed herself abusing Ukrainians.

shermer75
    Free Member

If it was a missile strike, why are the Ukrainians denying it?

piemonster

Dunno, maybe theyve intelligence telling them the Russians dont know for sure what and where from, and are happy to leave them that not knowing?

alpin
    Free Member

If it was a missile strike, why are the Ukrainians denying it?

Misinformation and spreads distrust within Crimea.

Good move.

mattyfez

^That’s gotta make Putin think twice, not only has the invasion all but ground to a halt, but it looks like Ukraine is going to take Crimea back.

If they can do that in Crimea, the russians have to be thinking they have the capability to do it elsewhere.

I suppose what is Russia going to do, escalate by going WWIII or retreat?

Ukraine and wider Europe are not going to back down, it’s just not an option, Russia are the agressors here.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Seen clips, geolocated 1.6km from the airbase…. All the blocks of flats have shattered windows.

That can’t be just ONE missile, that’s definitely a case of multiple missiles landing with precision.

bruneep

It never happened, move along now nothing to see

mattyfez

Yeah, there looks to be several surgical/precision hits, and not small either…”20 meter craters”.

I won’t pretend to know what did that, but I’m guessing the Russians didn’t take out thier own airbase.

andrewh
    Free Member

Missiles presumably.
    However, if those anti radar missiles are making the Russians keep their radars switched off would the Ukrainian airforce still be able to launch airstrikes on targets like that, undetected until it’s too late?

thols2
    DT78
    Free Member

Well if twitter is to be believed the crimea Bridge is effective out of bounds as a target as its now jammed with loads of tourists trying to leave. hitting it would mean alot of innocents dead.

probably suits Russia, wouldn’t be surprised to see it hit once they disperse given they have been targeting other bridges

piemonster

Rubber armour, huh.

Its a thing and allegedly reasonably effective.

NERA Non Explosive Reactive Armour

thols2

Its a thing and allegedly reasonably effective.

NERA Non Explosive Reactive Armour

That is quite amazing, but I gather that the captured tank was expected to have ERA, not rubber.

timba
    Free Member

Well if twitter is to be believed the crimea Bridge is effective out of bounds as a target as its now jammed with loads of tourists trying to leave. hitting it would mean alot of innocents dead

There’d be no advantage to targetting it. A jammed up bridge can’t be used by the military and you’ve got thousands of people to spread witnessed accounts back in the motherland EDIT of the attack/Crimea is in range

timba
    Free Member

It never happened, move along now nothing to see

Deny it with thousands of tourists returning in a panic

timba
    Free Member

Misinformation and spreads distrust within Crimea.

This. Russian forces don’t know which way to face and who to trust
    The US has said that it’s fine to hit Crimea with their missiles, Russia might not share that view on what has been “Russia” for the last seven years
    I’m happier with the UKR understanding of the Russian mindset rather than the US understanding

timba
    Free Member

In other news the G7 has asked Russia to hand the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant back to UKR. That won’t happen voluntarily, the Russians are using it as a base and have launched missile strikes from there so that UKR daren’t strike back

thols2

The US has said that it’s fine to hit Crimea with their missiles, Russia might not share that view on what has been “Russia” for the last seven years

The Ukrainians are being clever about the operation. They stated that it was done using Ukrainian made weapons, but there are other claims that it was a special forces operation. One plausible line of speculation is that the U.S. reported sending more missiles for the HIMARS launchers without specifying which missiles – the longest range missiles would easily reach anywhere in Crimea and they haven’t denied sending those. However, other people who seem to know what they’re talking about have looked at the size of the craters and claimed that they are too big for the warhead of any HIMARS launched missile. That points to it being a new Ukrainian developed short-range ballistic missile. The theory is that the U.S. supplied anti-radiation missiles were used to knock out the Russian radars and then Ukrainian built missiles used for the airbase attack. All this uncertainty about how it was done keeps the Russians mentally off balance, they know that Ukraine can hit them far behind the front lines, but they aren’t sure exactly how.

poah
    Free Member

The S-400 battery down the road didn’t do much

timba
    Free Member

…they know that Ukraine can hit them far behind the front lines, but they aren’t sure exactly how

I’d think that the Russians will have a pretty good idea by now.
    Russia was the second-largest arms exporter in the world and accounted for 20% of the arms trade https://www.defenceweb.co.za/daily-news/international-news/russian-officials-tout-arms-exports-despite-sanctions/
    Their arms trade is dropping off a cliff because they have to keep their forces supplied, which means less capacity for export. They also can’t get the components for weapons that more sophisticated buyers will want
    If they confess to any kind of air attack, whether by drone, missile or aircraft then they’ve just trashed any hope of selling air defence radar and missile systems in the future
    The US was already after their market share (see the link above) and has had it drop into their lap
    Belarus has just upgraded their own T72B tanks, presumably after their 2019 agreement with Russia fell apart

thols2

And a lot of the casualties will be technical personnel who require intensive training and will be impossible to replace quickly. Every Russian airforce ground crew member will be doing everything they can to get a posting somewhere 1000 km away from Ukraine.

bruneep

pk13

Only Cuba and maybe Belarus recognize Crimea as independent/Russia owned.
    So technically it’s Ukraine in international terms, maybe Ukraine have started a special operation to get rid of the invaiding hords.

* Without googling I cannot think of another country to see Crimea as independent

stcolin
    Free Member

What happens when you back an angry dog into a corner?

piemonster
    piemonster

Ask Russia, theyre in the process of finding out.

CountZero

The latest satellite images of the Russian airbase in Crimea. A massive amount of damage, many aircraft completely destroyed, others may have suffered damage that isn’t visible from space.
    The Ukrainians were developing a short-range ballistic missile system launched from a truck, but nobody’s certain if it ever went into production. It’s entirely possible that they’ve quietly carried on developing and producing it, and are now putting it into action, but keeping schtum about it, for very good strategic reasons!

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/widespread-destruction-seen-after-blasts-at-russian-base-in-crimea

martinhutch

Can’t imagine many naval vessels will be comfortable tying up at Sevastopol in the immediate future. Russia’s ability to support the defence of Kherson, let alone any ambitions towards Odessa, seems to be a bit shaky right now.

shermer75
    Free Member

That was an interesting article!

willard

Oddly and, I am sure by complete coincidence, there are reports that a Russian-link cyber criminal group (Killnet) has targeted and gained access to Lockheed Martin, the makers of the HiMARS MLRS.

shermer75
    Free Member

I am sure by complete coincidence

Oh absolutely, no link at all lol

shermer75
    Free Member

My partner is involved with a NGO called Open Democracy, which promotes transparency and the fight against corrupt and autocratic regimes world wide. They are cyber attacked by the Russians on a weekly basis

willard

@shermer75 Really? That’s interesting to me. Do they/their IR team release IOCs/info on the attackers to other interested parties? I would genuinely be interested in knowing how people are being hit by the state actors and their associates.

dissonance

I would genuinely be interested in knowing how people are being hit by the state actors and their associates.

Citizen lab and EFF publish a fair amount of information on these sort of issues.

thols2

Christ, this is some grim reading.

bruneep

https://news.sky.com/video/russian-shelling-of-ukrainian-village-12670597

matt_outandabout

https://news.sky.com/video/russian-shelling-of-ukrainian-village-12670597

So, a few bazilion Roubles of weapons thrown at what looks like a near empty and already ruined village?

(I do not make light of the casualties that may well have caused, particularly if civilians were there. It just seems amazing to throw that much at such a small space.).

singletrackmind

I wstched a YouTube vid of a pair of Ukrainian truck based middile /rocket launchers in action

They looked like smaller Katousha type of things with maybe 16 tubes.

Maybe its these thay hit that airbase

kimbers

Belarus having some spontaneous equipment fires too

Viewing 40 posts - 10,081 through 10,120 (of 18,797 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.