Viewing 40 posts - 5,241 through 5,280 (of 5,513 total)
  • U.S. Presidential Election 2020
  • inkster
    Free Member

They both represent a cross-section of society and have infiltrated the Military and the Police. It doesn’t have to be either or.

Tj is right, a purge of sorts is coming. Not every extremist will be removed from the services but enough to scare the others into either valuing their job or their liberty. The most serious implications are for those Republican lawmakers who had led guided tours the day before, their staffers who potentially opened side doors, whoever removed the panic buttons and that newly elected q-annon gun nut who tweeted out where AOC was hiding during the siege, even after being explicitly instructed not to by the police.

I think as every day passes the Democrat Senators will be getting angrier and angrier. They will be far more concerned with holding those responsible accountable than looking to move on and ‘heal’ the nation with a sticking plaster.

thols2

Unsurprisingly, there’s a little cleaning required at the WH. Overall cost nearly $500K. You could buy a lot of Henrys for that.

Most of that is just standard procedure whenever a new President takes over – the White House is redecorated to suit the tastes of the incoming President and First Lady. What this really means is that the transition is going as normal and the Trump people have accepted that they will be out next week.

thols2

tjagain

They haven’t ‘infiltrated’.

there is evidence that actually there has been a deliberate infiltration of security services by neo nazis

fingerbang
    Free Member

Don’t worry I served in the TA* I can decipher this. I got:

..-

*Not really

fingerbang
    Free Member

COVFEFE ?

jimdubleyou

An old man is sat across the street from the White House, after a while he wanders over to a Marine on guard and demands to speak with President Trump.

The Marine explains that Trump is no longer president and doesn’t even live here any more. The old man thanks the Marine and heads off.

The same thing happens every day for the next few days, and finally the Marine snaps,

“Look sir, President Trump isn’t coming back, why do you do this every day?”

The old man says, “I know that, I just never tire of hearing it!”

The Marine smiles “See you tomorrow sir”

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

What a legend of a quote hahah.

thols2

MoreCashThanDash

there is evidence that actually there has been a deliberate infiltration of security services by neo nazis

I’m not surprised – have you got a link to the reports?

MoreCashThanDash

Wow, had no idea so much had been uncovered, and still not acted on. Their domestic terror issues have been huge for at least 30 years and this has been allowed to happen?

The Independent is reporting the McConnell has said that the impeachment vote will be a “matter of conscience”.

maccruiskeen

McConnell has said that the impeachment vote will be a “matter of conscience”

Oh dear.

dantsw13
    riklegge

Albert Watkins said his client had no criminal history and was an “active practitioner of yoga”

Yoga you say? Must be innocent.

swavis

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/16/donald-trump-biden-inauguration-isolated-enraged

I quite like the idea of the horrible **** suffering. Good riddance.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Wonder how many arrests for the riot there will be the day after Trump is replaced? Shame to get them a pardon before that…

From some of the clips of Trumps last speech as President it looks like he’s throwing everyone at that riot under the bus to save himself from the impeachment. And Rudy too, by the looks of it.

The U.S. Capitol Police arrested a man at a security checkpoint in Washington on Friday after he flashed an “unauthorized” inauguration credential and a search of his truck found an unregistered handgun and more than 500 rounds of ammunition, the authorities said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/16/us/politics/man-arrested-dc-checkpoint.html

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Makes you wonder why antifa etc don’t do the same?

p7eaven
    Free Member

^^ Don’t have a sub to that publication but there is this report/article worthy a shufty too:

https://gizmodo.com/leaked-parler-data-points-to-users-at-police-stations-1846059897

It’s a situation that doesn’t have any (overwhelmingly) similar precedents? Raises the question is a law officer ‘always on duty’? Or can they reasonably be excused to simply indulge in some insurrectionist/terrorist/conspiratorial banter when off-duty? So many variables and slippery slopes in all directions.

The presence on Parler of active military and police raises concerns, experts said, about their potential exposure to far-right conspiracy theories and extremist ideologies enabled by the platform’s practically nonexistent moderation* and its stated openness to hate speech. Military officials have long considered infiltration and recruitment by white supremacist groups a threat. Groups that endorsed a wide range of racist beliefs appear to have been operating openly on Parler, the experts said, with the de facto permission of its owners.

(my bold)

Are they sure about that? I remember back in the day when moved to the US. I asked a mild devil’s advocate question on a ‘comment is free’ right wing/libertarian/gun nut forum around the time after 9/11. Shortly after that on the same day my PC was hacked, my first name flashed up on the monitor, then I received a specific death-threat (detailed drive-by in my location). Probably just trying to scare me. I’ve been yeeted off many far right conspiracy channels for daring go against the grain and call them on details. Hundreds of comments of mine have been ‘disappeared’, without explanation. Grifters especially hate you for threatening their grift. Remember, you’re about as welcome as an AA mechanic browsing, kicking tyres and asking detailed questions of Honest John at ‘Honest John’s Used Car Emporium’

‘What? A fact-checker? Delete him!!!!!’

Murray

The Bellingcat YouTube channel is excellent.

It seems to me that many of the rioters really thought they were the good guys – no attempts to hide their faces, lots of people videoing each other. Sadly, Trump wasn’t there lead them as promised.

inkster
    Free Member

“Makes you wonder why antifa etc don’t do the same?”

Makes me wonder why you wonder why Antifa would want to infiltrate the police?

tomhoward

Degrees of separation innit. Antifa infiltrate the neo nazi’s (apparently), and then get picked to be the ones to infiltrate the institutions.
    Wake up sheeple.

Northwind

Murray

It seems to me that many of the rioters really thought they were the good guys – no attempts to hide their faces, lots of people videoing each other. Sadly, Trump wasn’t there lead them as promised.

See, this is where I get a wee bit conflicted. Because if you really, truly believe that your democracy is being overthrown and the election stolen, and that the justice system is equally crooked, then direct action isn’t unreasonable. In fact you could argue it’s brave.

The fact that you have to be an absolute cretin to actually believe these things is important, but it doesn’t really change those basics. One man’s terrorist, etc.

Of course, the number of people that will accept that logic for these dudes, or believe that it’s their civic duty to turn out on the 20th and make an armed stand and maybe die a heroic death to protect democracy, that and also accept it for say Palestinians throwing rocks at an Israeli soldier or someone strapping on a bomb vest and blowing up an invading US army checkpost in Iraq, is not going to be very big.

thols2

bails

1. Because “antifa” isn’t an organised group in the same way the “fa” is.

2. Because being anti-fascist is likely to make you stand out and be severely limiting to your career. Being…ahem…not anti-fascist won’t cause problems for your career as a police officer in the US.

kimbers

Im still chuckling at trump throwing Giuliani under the bus

thols2

piemonster

Can someone explain the situation with Antifa in the US and how it’s become viewed as negatively as it appears to be.

tjagain

Far right propaganda basically

thols2

Can someone explain the situation with Antifa in the US and how it’s become viewed as negatively as it appears to be.

It’s hard to say because it isn’t really an organization. It seems to be more of a theory of direct action against fascism and racism, i.e. being confrontational, with scattered groups doing their own thing. From the videos I’ve seen of antifa in street brawls, they suck at fighting, I don’t think they are achieving anything at all. The number of real antifa who are willing to go out and battle it out seems to be pretty small, but the right wingers have been quite successful at lumping the BLM protesters in with antifa in an attempt to scare moderate voters. Personally, I think the hard core antifa people are idiots, they aren’t achieving anything and they are discrediting the peaceful protestors who are much more likely to actually change things. Idiots or not, there just aren’t very many antifa, they’re a minor nuisance overall. The right wing militias are more dangerous by a couple of orders of magnitude and the antifa nonsense is distracting everyone from the serious threat.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

They’re the hunt saboteurs of American ‘on the ground’ politics.

Riksbar

People opposed to fascism do infiltrate the police, but when they do they aim to expose corruption and improve things for their whole community and the police, see Small Axe episode 3, Red, White and Blue about Leroy Logan, and Spike Lee’sBlack Kkklansman.

I guess the point is that fascists are a cancerous growth who will kill a democracy if allowed to grow their influence unchecked, and those who oppose them are not. Opposition to fascism is not equivalency with fascism.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Because if you really, truly believe that your democracy is being overthrown and the election stolen, and that the justice system is equally crooked, then direct action isn’t unreasonable. In fact you could argue it’s brave.

They’re idiots, but they were conned by somebody they should have been able to trust. Most of them hadn’t sworn to uphold the Constitution. If Trump had accepted the election result, they would not have been in the Capitol. If they’re getting prosecuted, there’s no way he should escape (which doesn’t mean he won’t).

thols2

Riksbar

See, this is where I get a wee bit conflicted. Because if you really, truly believe that your democracy is being overthrown and the election stolen, and that the justice system is equally crooked, then direct action isn’t unreasonable. In fact you could argue it’s brave.

The fact that you have to be an absolute cretin to actually believe these things is important, but it doesn’t really change those basics. One man’s terrorist, etc.

The trouble is, we’ve been here before, and luckily nobody was hurt. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-washingtondc-gunman/man-pleads-guilty-in-washington-pizzeria-shooting-over-fake-news-idUSKBN16V1XC

This time it was bigger and people died.

grum
    Free Member

Yup, antifa are a largely made-up bogeyman for right wingers to fear. But it doesn’t take much, lots of them are genuinely convinced that Joe Biden is a communist.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’m getting the think this “radical left” moniker being thrown around is an anti environmentalist thang. Wouldn’t be surprise if this whole pro trump thing ends at the door of big oil.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,241 through 5,280 (of 5,513 total)

The topic ‘U.S. Presidential Election 2020’ is closed to new replies.