Viewing 40 posts - 5,441 through 5,480 (of 5,513 total)
  • U.S. Presidential Election 2020
  • whitestone
    Free Member

The bawbag has left the building!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

A massive 70 year old cheese puff Wotsit with tiny wandering hands.

Around this point I lost my coffee.

Jamze

Does anyone know the significance of the US flag with vertical stripes? They have one in the field of flags. A mixture of stuff on Google, peacetime flag?

ads678

US flag with vertical stripes?

Chinese knock off?

grum
    Free Member

This idea of a civil or peacetime United States flag, such as the one your neighbor is flying, is pretty much an urban myth. It also seems to be a favorite of various conspiracy or anti-tax groups.

Here’s the deal: In 1799 the U.S. Treasury Department had something called the Revenue Cutter Service, charged with enforcing custom rules and stopping smugglers. It was the forerunner of today’s Coast Guard.

Congress authorized the service to fly a flag of 16 vertical red and white stripes. Sixteen stripes because there were 16 states at the time. The idea was to distinguish customers-enforcement ships from military ships. That’s where people today somehow got the idea there is an official civil flag separate from the military Stars and Stripes.

There were a couple different versions of the first customs flag, mostly involving the arrangements of an eagle and stars. Of course, there were also various versions of the U.S. flag until the design we use today (plus two more stars) was specified by executive order in 1912.

And something very similar to that original Revenue Cutter Service Ensign is used today by the U.S. Coast Guard.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/claythompson/2014/11/26/flag-america-coast-guard-stars-and-stripes/19542479/

imnotverygood

Quite the rallying cry from Bernie here. If only we had someone like him in the UK.

Dunno. I can’t help thinking that if he believes that is what is best for his country, perhaps he should have got himself elected.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

New Radicals re-forming for a one-off performance of You Get What You Give at the inauguration. 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

fashion tips for the left leaning inauguration attendee

frankconway

Quite the rallying cry from Bernie here.

Indeed, yes.
    Would like to think that Biden was aware of what Sanders intended to write; it’s not as if Sanders is just another Senate member – incoming chair of budget committee, strong personal and political support.
    Must be tempting to use the reconciliation process given that McConnell is unwilling to cede the filibuster.

Twodogs

Quite the rallying cry from Bernie here. If only we had someone like him in the UK.

what, some out-of-touch unelectable old bloke? We’ve been there I think

Klunk
    Free Member

though not having agent orange there is probably the best thing, it’s kinda of going to reinforce the Don the outsider fighting the “swamp” in the eyes of the trumpist base. It’s coming over as very chummy and happy that the cheese puff is off to florida.

FuzzyWuzzy

Was anyone else hoping they’d just open the door of Air Force 1 and push him out? :p disappointed 🙁

Klunk
    Free Member

unfortunately….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d have loved to see him walk up to the heliclopter and for the door to remain closed while an Uber cab beeped at him from the front gate.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

qanon are expecting the green goblin to show up on his glider and blow them all away with radiation grenade.

tomhoward

Kinda disappointed they didn’t leave an empty seat for Donny at the inauguration.

Klunk
    Free Member

have foreign leaders ever been invited to this ? or is it always an all US affair.

Northwind

imnotverygood

Dunno. I can’t help thinking that if he believes that is what is best for his country, perhaps he should have got himself elected.

Seriously?

grum
    Free Member

what, some out-of-touch unelectable old bloke? We’ve been there I think

Yeah we chose the lazy, lying narcissist instead, and it’s going REALLY well.

jimdubleyou

Just been in a meeting with some American colleagues. I congratulated them on having a new head of state and pretty much got a “meh”.

To quote their jokes:
    “Trump is deranged, Biden is just senile” and “Kamela will be taking over soon enough”.

Edit: I think they were mostly Democrats too…

Klunk
    Free Member

donnie bone spurs desperate to tweet somethin about size of the crowd, he must be going up the wall 😀

scuttler

Love a bit of Laday Gaga but she’s a bit lefty and I reckon Britney or that Pimp guy that toured with Trump woulda been better to unite the angry gun-toters.

whitestone
    Free Member

@jimdubleyou – Kamela Harris becoming president would send the right-wing nut jobs completely mental!

leffeboy

and it’s done

and it’s good to see Pence there

martinhutch

Get. In.

Oh, nine minutes to go. Hang on, people!

P-Jay
    Free Member

How can you be pardoned for a crime you haven’t been convicted of? 🤔

A pardon can been given at any time after the act is committed, he can’t pardon anyone for crimes they’ve not yet committed, but anything after the fact is fair game.

They’re not supposed to be a ‘get out of jail free’ card for the mates of a President, although that has happened before, it’s not really rare. Bill Clinton pardoned his Brother for Cocaine possession for example.

Doesn’t mean they’re off the hook completely, if they really want to they can still go ahead with Steve Bannon’s case, he can still be found guilty and he would still be banned from doing certain things as a convicted felon, voting, he may also be banned from some roles in government. He just can’t be punished for it.

Also, it’s only a pardon for federal criminal crimes, he can still be tried on a state level, or in a civil case.

beinbhan

I’m hoping the news will cut to Florida at 5 past 5 showing Trump being dragged out of his club in handcuffs after having been tasered.

frankconway

It’s now noon in DC so it’s official – President Biden.

PrinceJohn

So Biden’s song of choice permits us to smash a merecedes benz? Cool .

Klunk
    Free Member

get on with it, fbi on stand by ffs

dazh

what, some out-of-touch unelectable old bloke?

Which bits do you disagree with?

scuttler

Are we done here? Are we all off back to the Donny thread for the orange jumpsuit shit?

Ah Garth Brooks for the Republicans. Green Goblin in disguise?

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

“out-of-touch”

Given his support from the youth, wouldn’t that put him very much in-touch?

docgeoffyjones

Sad to see this thread end. thank you to everyone who posted I really enjoyed following it.

slowoldman

Love a bit of Laday Gaga but she’s a bit lefty and I reckon Britney or that Pimp guy that toured with Trump woulda been better to unite the angry gun-toters.

I imagine that’s why Garth was there.

martinhutch

sc-xc

Sad to see this thread end. thank you to everyone who posted I really enjoyed following it.

Very much this. Thank you, I have come back to this thread as events have unfolded, getting a kind of real time commentary from people that actually understand it has been invaluable.

And I also enjoyed chewkw’s input.

grahamh
    Free Member

It’s been nice to see the end of Cadet bone spur.

fasthaggis

He had no style,he had no class.
    His big fat face was like a well skelped arse.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,441 through 5,480 (of 5,513 total)

The topic ‘U.S. Presidential Election 2020’ is closed to new replies.