Viewing 40 posts - 5,121 through 5,160 (of 5,513 total)
  • U.S. Presidential Election 2020
  • Poopscoop

Totally normal this.

National guard ready to deploy in Capitol.

pk13

He has been to see his lawyer by the sounds of it.
    All that “movement” stuff is a bit iffy

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Switched on CNN earlier to hear Wolf moistly announcing just how bipartisan the vote to impeach had been (the most ever for an impeachment?). Then I saw the numbers. 197 R voted not to impeach – only 10 voted with the Ds. And some of the quotes from them – batshit.

I feel that the most we’ll get from the vote after the senate trial will be to see the Rs own their shit.

You know how over the last four years, you’d let yourself get taken in by thinking enough of the Tories might do the right thing, ok, not last time, but maybe this time? Ok, not this time, but next time, yeah? I think this will go the same way. Just can’t see where they’ll get 17 of the **** to cross over and find him guilty. And then it’ll be yesterday’s news as Biden’s tackling of Covid and the economy will have to take precedence. Hope I’m wrong, I really do.

reluctantjumper

I might be younger than you but I feel the opposite. I spent my whole life – until a couple of years ago – thinking that the USA was just UK+. Brighter, brasher, richer, fatter but pretty much the same. We speak the same language, have similar hobbies, watch the same films, listen to the same music etc. Whereas “Europe” was a disparate group of other countries with other languages and traditions completely unlike ours. I don’t think I’ve ever felt ‘European’ in my lifetime (which is a shame).

It’s over the last couple of years that I’ve realised that the USA is mad and their attitude to guns, ‘freedom’ (whatever TF that is), healthcare, social justice and particularly religion marks them out as substantially different from the UK.

Meanwhile, actually the UK is aligned pretty closely with Europe on loads of things. Politics, (lack of) religion etc. Perhaps we should join a ‘union’ of all the European states or something?

I was of a similar mindset, feeling more American than European until I went to California for a holiday when I was 17. It was when I was flying back that I came to the conclusion that I was more aligned to the America you see on TV, the Friends or Seinfeld version of ‘all together having fun’ America. The reality was very, very different with open racism, bigotry, lack of freedoms (I got questioned by a Cop for walking from the hotel to the beach, apparently only criminals walk around in the evening!) and so little in the way of support for the low paid that I couldn’t wait to get back home. I’ve since travelled a bit of Europe and we are so much more like them culturally except that we don’t share a common language. If we spoke French or German here, even as a second language, people would be so much more aware of how close we are to the people over the Channel than the ones the other side of the Atlantic. I know the US is a massive place with a myriad of different cultures and values but so is mainland Europe. I know which one I prefer.

kelvin

(I got questioned by a Cop for walking from the hotel to the beach, apparently only criminals walk around in the evening!)

I got that in Hawaii. In the middle of the afternoon! You drive everywhere, or the police think you’re clearly scum up to no good. So many lovely people there though (as I’ve found everywhere I’ve been in the USA).

batfink
    Free Member

I wonder how many takes he needed to get through that!

The hypocrisy is just astonishing – Clearly a “lawyer statement” designed to try to protect him from (further) consequences if it does kick-off next week.

thols2

somafunk

Ralph Steadman nails trump

Hunter would have loved this time

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rock-a-bye-baby from Goldfinger is for reals!!

thols2

tjagain

I might be younger than you but I feel the opposite. I spent my whole life – until a couple of years ago – thinking that the USA was just UK+

Ever since I became politically aware in my teens in the 70s I loathed the US. As per others – the obvious racism, the pollution, the guns, the pseudo democracy.

Most of all tho for the vietnam war, the toppling of democratic governments to replace them with dictators and its general malign presence on the world stage

MoreCashThanDash

Most of all tho for the vietnam war, the toppling of democratic governments to replace them with dictators and its general malign presence on the world stage

But apart from that, what have the Americans ever done for us?

Poopscoop

reluctantjumper

I was of a similar mindset, feeling more American than European until I went to California for a holiday when I was 17. It was when I was flying back that I came to the conclusion that I was more aligned to the America you see on TV, the Friends or Seinfeld version of ‘all together having fun’ America. The reality was very, very different with open racism, bigotry, lack of freedoms (I got questioned by a Cop for walking from the hotel to the beach, apparently only criminals walk around in the evening!) and so little in the way of support for the low paid that I couldn’t wait to get back home. I’ve since travelled a bit of Europe and we are so much more like them culturally except that we don’t share a common language. If we spoke French or German here, even as a second language, people would be so much more aware of how close we are to the people over the Channel than the ones the other side of the Atlantic. I know the US is a massive place with a myriad of different cultures and values but so is mainland Europe. I know which one I prefer.

What a great post and so true. I’ve only been to America once, Texas and Louisiana, though I very much enjoyed it I thanked my lucky stars that I was born in the UK.

I was very much in love with America as seen on the silver screen, close up and for real it would become ugly very fast.

A very contrived, fake, plastic culture was what I remember feeling.

The disparity of wealth largely based on colour was a real eye opener to say the least.

franksinatra

Did anyone else notice the deliberate/not deliberate “miss-speaking” in his statement at 2min 54sec?

“but I cannot emphasise that there must be no violence, no law breaking and no vandalism”

Classic double negative!

thols2

its general malign presence on the world stage

Your criticisms of U.S. foreign policy have some merit, but the U.S. has also contributed a lot to international stability. They have some deep-rooted domestic problems, but the U.S. is still a better place to live than most countries. By world standards, their courts are pretty honest and their police quite restrained. Other countries around the world tend to tolerate U.S. military bases rather than welcome them, but they do tolerate them because having American troops is generally a stabilizing presence.

The Trump administration tried to back away from the positive aspects of U.S. international policy and other democracies are hoping the Biden administration will go back to supporting international institutions. That’s not to say that the U.S. doesn’t have serious faults, but their contribution has not been entirely bad. Russia’s and China’s behaviour has generally been much more malign than the U.S.

tjagain

but they do tolerate them because having American troops is generally a stabilizing presence.

Try telling that to the Japanese on Okinawa. try telling that to the Chagos islanders. try telling that to the Cubans. try telling that to the Chileans

Sorry I reject your thesis in total. the US are a destabilising and regressive force on the world stage. How many democratic governments have they overthrown to install right wing oppressive dictators? How many people have they killed since WW2?

Oh! mama, mama look there!
    Your children are playing in that street again
    Don’t you know what happened down there?
    A youth of fourteen got shot down there
    The kokane guns of jamdown town
    The killing clowns, the blood money men
    Are shooting those washington bullets again

As every cell in chile will tell
    The cries of the tortured men
    Remember allende, and the days before,
    Before the army came
    Please remember victor jara,
    In the santiago stadium,
    Es verdad – those washington bullets again

And in the bay of pigs in 1961,
    Havana fought the playboy in the cuban sun,
    For castro is a colour,
    Is a redder than red,
    Those washington bullets want castro dead
    For castro is the colour…
    …that will earn you a spray of lead

For the very first time ever,
    When they had a revolution in nicaragua,
    There was no interference from america
    Human rights in america

Well the people fought the leader,
    And up he flew…
    With no washington bullets what else could he do?

‘n’ if you can find a afghan rebel
    That the moscow bullets missed
    Ask him what he thinks of voting communist…
    …ask the dalai lama in the hills of tibet,
    How many monks did the chinese get?
    In a war-torn swamp stop any mercenary,
    ‘n’ check the british bullets in his armoury
    Que?
    Sandinista!

tjagain

Russia’s and China’s behaviour has generally been much more malign than the U.S.

They are not without fault by all means but the US is a order of magnitude more malign.

Look to the Iran Iraq war where the US armed both sides

Look to the middle east where they armed and trained what is now ISIS

Look at damage done to central and south american countries

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Sorry I reject your thesis in total.

Read a tiny bit of history – if it wasnt for the US the Soviet Union would have steamrollered Western Europe.

I’ll help you: Go look where the RUSSIAN border ends. Go look at where the border of East Germany was. That bit between the two – a free, peacefull workers paradise was it?

Go read about the Berlin blockade.

Bloody easy to dis the US when you’re as far as way from the red bear as you were/are.

grum
    Free Member

That’s not to say that the U.S. doesn’t have serious faults, but their contribution has not been entirely bad.

In S and central America it has been almost universally disgraceful. Then there’s Vietnam, Cambodia, Iraq, and many many others. Which countries has China invaded recently?

thols2

China is behaving in a very aggressive manner towards its neighbours. It has a low-level conflict going on with India. It is occupying Tibet. It has put a million muslims into concentration camps. It also has border disputes with Vietnam and the Philippines, plus disputes with Japan. It has ended any hopes of democracy and free speech in Hong Kong. The only thing stopping it from invading Taiwan is the fear that it would provoke the U.S. into intervening. The Asian countries that have U.S. bases are generally unhappy about the behaviour of U.S. troops, but they want those bases because China and North Korea are much, much worse than the U.S. Japan and South Korea are fairly liberal democracies. The U.S. bases are their because their elected governments want them there.

Russia is a gangster state that is currently at war with Ukraine, invaded Georgia not so long ago, threatens its other neighbours, murders opposition politicians and dissidents in other countries, etc.

The U.S. has often behaved terribly and supported dictators around the world. However, the reality is that the U.S. supported international system is far preferable to a system dominated by Russia or China. That’s why the Western democracies are keen to see a Biden administration reengage.

tomd
    Free Member

They are not without fault by all means but the US is a order of magnitude more malign.

Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of the massacre at the Vilnius TV tower as Lithuania sought its independence from Russia. Russian soldiers killed 14 civilians and injured 702 in the violence. I emphasise – 30 years ago we had Russian tanks running over civilians in a European capital.

Today people in the Baltic countries live in fear of the “little green men” that annexed parts of Ukraine.

Interested in how you would explain to a Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Czech, Pole etc that Russia is an order of magnitude less malign than the US? Also noting that it’s a near certainty their family suffered actual real harm at the hand of the Russians.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Try telling that to the Japanese on Okinawa

Yeah those poor peaceful Japanese. They did nothing wrong.

WTAF!

tjagain

I have read history and you are rewriting it.

Berlin blockade was after the allied side tried to freeze russia out of the 4 powers agreement. Basically it was precipitated by allied powers acting in poor faith.

Which countries has China invaded recently?

Tibet is a huge issue.

tjagain

gobuchul

not WW2 Okinawa – the existence of the US base there now – it was in the context of:

Other countries around the world tend to tolerate U.S. military bases rather than welcome them, but they do tolerate them because having American troops is generally a stabilizing presence.

The Japanese people loathe the presence of US troops in Okinawa because of the trouble they cause and the impunity with which they act. Multiple gross crimes committed by US troups.

piemonster

Whereas Chinese troops in Xinjiang…

gobuchul
    Free Member

The Japanese people loathe the presence of US troops in Okinawa

I’m pretty sure the Chinese didn’t appreciate the presence of the Japanese in Nanjinng.

thols2

Berlin blockade was after the allied side tried to freeze russia out of the 4 powers agreement. Basically it was precipitated by allied powers acting in poor faith.

What utter nonsense. Do you seriously believe that Joseph Stalin ever made agreements in good faith? He was a murderous brute who caused the death of tens of millions.

Of course, one of the events that led to the collapse of the Soviet Bloc was the fall of the Berlin Wall. This was erected to stop East Germans from defecting to the West. It was guarded by armed soldiers who shot anybody trying to cross it. The key point here is that any West German who wanted to go and live in the East could have done so, but they didn’t want to because the East was run by a murderous totalitarian regime. However, East Germans who wanted to flee that regime and live in the West were shot. That says a lot about the relative attraction of the two systems.

The same goes for the U.S. It has many problems, but there are millions of refugees around the world who risk their lives to seek something better in the U.S. American citizens do not risk their lives seeking refugee status in Russia, or China, or Cuba.

Yes, the U.S. has not always lived up to its own standards, but it is still far preferable to most other countries.

tjagain

History is written by the winners. The building of the wall and the blockade are two different issues. Its nothing like as simplistic as yo ustate

Yes, the U.S. has not always lived up to its own standards, but it is still far preferable to most other countries.

utter nonsense – it may be a good place to live for some but its actions internationally have been nothing but harmfull and malign since the 60s. Look at Chile. A democratically elected government overthrown by force bu US led forces that ushered in a right wing dictatorship that killed huge numbers of people. thats just one example of many. How many people dead as a result of US backed coups in south and central america?

thols2

The Japanese people loathe the presence of US troops in Okinawa because of the trouble they cause and the impunity with which they act. Multiple gross crimes committed by US troups.

This is the kind of nonsense that Donald Trump put forward for stopping all immigration. Some immigrants do engage in crime, some of it heinous. However, most of them are generally law abiding and contribute to the U.S. A few U.S. troops have committed heinous crimes, but they were prosecuted and sent to military prison. Other U.S. troops commit frequent nuisance level crimes, the same sorts of things that locals also commit. They are basically a bunch of macho young men who like to get drunk and do dumb shit. Very annoying for the locals, but most of it is just nuisance stuff. The Japanese government (and other governments around the world) want U.S. bases because it stabilizes a region that has a lot of historical grievances. If those U.S. bases were suddenly removed, Japan would have little choice but to develop nuclear weapons to deter North Korea. Same goes for South Korea. That would be a much, much worse scenario than having some U.S. Marines getting drunk and behaving like ****s. That’s why democratic countries tolerate U.S. bases, without being particularly happy about it.

tjagain

Gobuchal – I am talking about ongoing rapes committed by US troups in Okinawa that continues to this day. they are loathed for their actions – not wartimwe stuff but things that continue to this day

Jeepers the whataboutery. Okinawa I used as an example to disprove the statement that US bases are welcomed, How about Guantanamo?

thols2

Okinawa I used as an example to disprove the statement that US bases are welcomed

They are not welcomed, they are tolerated because the alternative is much, much worse.

tjagain

. They are basically a bunch of macho young men who like to get drunk and do dumb shit. Very annoying for the locals, but most of it is just nuisance stuff.

That is downplaying it hugely. How about the local mayor being labelled a Chinese agent because he want to stop the crimes ( which are not low level crimes) by having the base removed.

You really need to read up a bit more on it.

Now how about the south american coups? How many dead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change_in_Latin_America

tjagain

They are not welcomed, they are tolerated because the alternative is much, much worse.

Guantanao?

The bases are as much to threaten the countries they are in as they are to protect them.

nickc

general malign presence on the world stage

there’s much to criticise the US for by any standard, but this is just propaganda Russia is a malign presence, as are dictatorships like Iran or North Korea.

MSP

US has enacted imperialism through trade deals, forcing countries to adopt US style economic (or drugs) policy or be effectively blockaded.

Russian interference is more direct and less subtle, but no where near as effective. China is copying america’s blueprint but is still new at the game.

tjagain

30 000 dead at least in Argentina after the coup. etc etc

its utter bobbins to even attempt to claim the US is a force for good on the world stage. they are utterly malign

How about arming both sides in iran / iraq?

How about funding, training and arming ISIS

how about funding, training and arming the taliban?

timbog160

I’m with thols2 on this. For all its faults (and I completely agree they are numerous and many esp in the field of foreign relations) I’d much rather have the US in charge than Russia or China. Soviet Russia was an abomination, although of course that doesn’t men to say they intended to take over the world, which was often the excuse used by the US for its appalling foreign policy.

But aren’t we getting a bit off topic. The reality is what has happened in this election is more about domestic politics, with foreign policy being an outcome?

tomd
    Free Member

actions internationally have been nothing but harmfull and malign since the 60s.

You would condemn the “malign” role of the US in the Good Friday Agreement? How do you feel about Clinton’s decision not to intervene in the Rwandan genocide? That was case where the US sat back and didn’t act.

Still interested on your thoughts on Central and Eastern Europe and how that fits with the US being an order of magnitude more malign.

tjagain

More whataboutery.

Crimes committed by Russia and china do not excuse those committed by the US nor deminish their impact

I ask again – how about the coups in south america How many millions dead? How about arming both sides in the Iran iraq war.

Okinawa base is opposed by the vast majority of the japanese people

Viewing 40 posts - 5,121 through 5,160 (of 5,513 total)

The topic ‘U.S. Presidential Election 2020’ is closed to new replies.