Home Forums Bike Forum Tubeless valves for Mavic UST wheels

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless valves for Mavic UST wheels
  • jsync

Hi,

I’ve got some Carbon Mavic XA pro wheels that I’ve been running tubeless from new. I recently changed the very short valve from the Mavic one to an Orange Seal branded one. It has been fine but it’s now got s slight leak at the base of the valve. I’ve just retaped it and it’s still leaking. Are Mavic rims fussy? Do I need the UST valve? I’m going to guess so.

simondbarnes

Are Mavic rims fussy?

Yes

jam-bo

Just got some new crossmax’s, used muc off valves and they sealed straight away and have been fine for over week now. Come with three different shape inserts for different rims.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’m running their road UST valves on my 819 rims as the originals were a bit short, they just need a spacer (I drilled out the old collar) as the unthreaded part of the shank is a little too long for my rims.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve used Caffelatex Valves with me Mavic Allroads and Ksyriums.

garage-dweller

On my old 819 (only one left now) I’ve mostly used the Mavic ones with the rectangular base but I’m pretty sure the current valve isn’t one of those and has not been problematic. It will either be a Stans or Profile one iirc.

These are the kind of UST rim that you don’t tape.

davros

Yes they’re fussy. They have a u shaped rim bed so their own barrel shaped valves work best, but others will seal depending on the shape of the bung. If it’s round and flat forget it! Tapered round bungs do the job.

Northwind

Not ime but I haven’t used the latest ones. TBH I’ve only ever had a single set of rims that didn’t work great with a simple cheap conical plug, and that was because they have a stupidly deep and narrow central groove, which isn’t usually a thing with modern fat rims.

(for example the WTB TCS… But you can buy the exact same valves for much less without the branding)

reeksy

My experience was that they weren’t at all. I used “whatever I found in the shed” valves with a circular base on Crossmax SLR and they never once leaked.

jsync

The Orange Seal valves came with 3 rubber bungs, I used the one that was most similar to the UST profile. I think I’ll change it to the round one (like Stans) and give that a go. If not I’ll swap to the Mavic ones. Thanks all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless valves for Mavic UST wheels’ is closed to new replies.