Home Forums Bike Forum Trek’s Virtual / Actual Frame Sizing – Please Help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trek’s Virtual / Actual Frame Sizing – Please Help
  • monksie
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a new (to me) Trek hardtail but the virtual and actual frame sizes have got me confused.
    I’m 5’9″. 30″ inside leg and I ride medium or 54cm road bikes. Anybody on here the same configuration with a Trek Superfly or have enough knowledge on how to make sense of it and what size I should be looking at?
    My riding is exclusively all day, XC – Peak District. Very little if any trail centres.
    Thanks in advance

w00dster

I ride Trek size 52 H1 and for mucking about on a 54. I’m 5 foot 8 and a 29” inside leg.
    My Superfly is a Virtual 18.5 (actual 17.5). Where as my Fuel Ex is an actual 18.5.
    I ride XC on my Superfly and prefer the smaller size. For bigger more technical rides I prefer the larger size.
    On the Superfly the stock seatpost was almost at its limit, for XC this is fine for me.
    As you’re close to both sizes being good for you it’s worth trying to get a test ride. Failing that, it all depends on your individual preference, as mentioned for XC I prefer the smaller frame.

chakaping

Are they still doing that shit? Great way to confuse would-be buyers.

My habit now is to look at the reach and seat tube length figures to find the bike that’s the right fit for me.

I’m roughly the same size as you and also have short legs, so I tend to go for 460mm reach and 450mm-max seat tube, maybe 460mm at a push.

Perhaps a bit shorter on the reach on an XC bike, but not much.

Northwind

Nobody understands Trek sizing- my Remedy was sold one year as a 19 and the next as a 19.5 for the exact same frame ffs. I always thought it was a sort of dirty protest against all the other meaningless numbers like effective toptube. Hah, we’ll just make up a new one and see if anyone notices!

All I can say is, ignore the number Trek give you and check out wheelbase, reach etc

ampthill

Just choose the correct virtual size. So if you want an 18 inch frame but a virtual 18. You’ll have 1 inch more seat post than you expected and the frame is actually 17

chakaping

Nobody should be buyimg a MTB primarily on seat tube length tho.

Look at the reach and other figures and then see if you can squeeze onto the right bike – ‘cos you’ll probably need to size up to get something with contemporary geo.

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you for the replies. It’s going to be an Ebay purchase unless somebody on here has one for sale so trying for size is going to be difficult at best. I’m pretty adaptable so I’ll look at frames that have 17 and 18 virtual / actual but I’ll assume that anything with a 16 or 19 on it’s frame, either virtual / actual will be too small or too big. Thanks again. You’ve been massively helpful.

jako

I am pretty much same height as you and I ride a 18.5 top fuel. I have a lot of seatpost showing, as I have disproportionate long legs – eg 33inch inseam – to my height.

frankoid
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you and my virtual 18.5 (actual 17.5) Superfly (2016 carbon) fits me well. It has a Thomson elite dropper on it (125mm I think) and it’s only about 5-10mm from being as far as it’ll go into the frame so if you’re getting a dropper be careful there’s enough space for it.

rOcKeTdOg

Are they still doing that shit?

No, xs, s,m,l,xl,xxl same as everyone else now

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips, pointers, experience and advice. I bought a 2019 18.5 (no actual or virtual involved) Pro Caliber and it fits me fine.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Yeah the finally dropped the actual virtual thing. They have the 17.5 as M, 18.5 as ML and 19.5 as L so few choices to go for.

My fuel is 18.5 and a 150 oneup dropper fits.

I probably should have got a 19.5 but I went on what felt right and that the shop said it fitted better.

But now I think it’s too small as per my post on here, but not much I can do about it unless I find someone to swap.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trek’s Virtual / Actual Frame Sizing – Please Help’ is closed to new replies.