Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 214 total)
  • Traveling by train ettiquette rant.
  • project
    Free Member

So youre waiting on the platform for the train, that has double automatic opening doors, people are waiting to get on and off, so you allow the ones on the train to get off, while the braindead muppets around you swarm onto the train stopping the ones getting off and almost forcing them between the platform and train.

Eventually you gain access onto the train which run every 15 minutes, to find a woman with a pram has taken the one and only bike space fitted out with racks for 2 bikes, so then youre forced to stand in the door vestibule, and at every station despite 6 double sets of doors per train do the great suited and overweight alweays want to get on at your door, and again not letting anyone off.

Just perhaps can us cyclists have a dedicated door and some enforcement of the cycle spaces, along with some civility from some passengers, usually over 50, and with a huge chip on their shoulder.

RealMan
    Free Member

We used to get to college by train, on a really busy train to waterloo. We’d be waiting by our bikes in the bike compartment bit, and every single day, this dude would get on first, then stand in the doorway, pushing himself up against the wall so that all the other people waiting behind him on the platform could get past him.

Why not just get on last? Or why not go into the carriage and sit down? How do people this stupid survive day to day life?

Schweiz
    Free Member

I don’t know what you’re moaning about. It’s not like you’re paying for your bike. I would have thought that stowage space for luggage, pushchairs and bikes is first come first served.

If you want reserved bike space then you’d better be prepared to pay for it. It’s £8 for a day ticket here in Switzerland and woe betide any suitcases or giant offroad pramulators which occupy the space that I have paid for!

petrieboy

Sounds like a busy train – was there really anywhere better for the pram to be parked??

project
    Free Member

Park the pram in the doorway or leave it at home,then there is the problem with prams in the wheelchair space its just so ignorant of passengers to block spaces that are specifically reserved.

petrieboy

Meh, maybe in the doorway would work, but from their perspective it’s more in the way there than in the (vacant) bike bay. Using public transport with small children can be an absolute nightmare especially if your on your own.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Getting off trains while pushing a bike which has 720mm bars, pedals with pins and 2.5 inch knobbly tyres sure makes a hole through the idiotic throng who try to push onto the train before you have alighted. They only do it once…

sas
    Free Member

The problem isn’t that of a pram taking up bike space, it’s of generic unreasonable moronic passengers of any type being unreasonable and moronic.

TooTall
    Free Member

Park the pram in the doorway or leave it at home

Why not leave your bike at home? I guess you are a single bloke from your hatred of people with prams in YOUR space.

dan1980
    Free Member

I had fun a while ago, I held my bike across the width of the train preventing the retards from forcing their way on. I politely (mostly) explained that the whole egress/ingress thing would go a lot more smoothly if they all got out of the way of the people trying to get off.

It didn’t really work, but it made me feel better at least.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The problem isn’t that of a pram taking up bike space, it’s of generic unreasonable moronic passengers of any type being unreasonable and moronic.

there is a trend nowadays on rush hour trains for people to sit/stand in the vestibule areas/by the doors even when there loads of seats available on that same carriage, even when the nearest station is 30 minutes away.

It makes it difficult for people with luggage/prams/folding bikes as all the possible storage space is taken.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

People are idiots, including those who ride bikes.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ride your bike instead of getting the train 🙄

MrOvershoot

flippinheckler – Member

Ride your bike instead of getting the train

Living where he does, if he wants to go to Liverpool he can’t.

Its either train or ferry if your on a bike.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Runcorn Bridge!

samuri
    Free Member

I presume he wants to stay alive so the bridge is out.

project
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member

Ride your bike instead of getting the train

Living where he does, if he wants to go to Liverpool he can’t.

Its either train or ferry if your on a bike.

I have riden twice through the old mersey tunnel that allows bikes to go through,after 8.00pm and sundays the fumes are so bad on the exit slopes you are panting for air,like an old bloke pumping up a sex doll.

Oh and i got told off by a rather pleasant tunnel officer, not because i was in the wrong, but because some motorist had been held up.

martinhutch

I must admit, I used to prefer the vestibule on packed Great Western Trains out of Paddington in the evening. You could open the window and smell fresh(ish) air as opposed to have your face pressed into armpit.

So even if there was standing space in the carriage, I’d choose the doorway in preference. Weren’t many bikes or prams getting on at that time, but I don’t recall ever getting in the way of them.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Get Mersey rail to invset in one of these!

donsimon
    Free Member

I have riden twice through the old mersey tunnel that allows bikes to go through,after 8.00pm and sundays the fumes are so bad on the exit slopes you are panting for air,like an old bloke pumping up a sex doll.

Ferry?
    To be honest I’m a bit surprised they let bikes onto trains during the rush hour.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did you ask her to move it? Usually its clear from the signage that its a space for bikes.

boxfish
    Free Member

Buy a Brompton?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I take my Dahon on the train a lot. I fold it and stick it either in the luggage section on it’s side or in the bike storage area against the glass partition. Normally I’m the only one who folds their bike, the other guys tend not to for some reason. I often chat to a Brompton’ite about commuting and he’s been doing it for many years more than I have, he says he often just shoves prams and wheelchairs out of the way..or stands in the doorway blocking everyone else, he doesn’t seem that bothered what other folk think.
    Then there are the Students going to college, these are on their non foldie normal bikes and just stick them in the doorways so no one can get on/off and they don;t seem to care either.
    Then there are folks like me who seem to have a little consideration for others, I’m defiantly in the minority.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I take my bike on the train a fair amount. there are bicycle spaces – I expect to use them and usually there is no problem

Deveron53
    Free Member

I stopped commuting by bike/train (Nether Edge/Rotherham) after my ‘incident’ with a train manager. Felt miles better and got fit. But ended up with bad saddle sores cos I had to sit for 8 hours in my sweat! Still better than commuting by train with a bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

‘incident’ with a train manager

do tell…

scu98rkr
    Free Member

there is a trend nowadays on rush hour trains for people to sit/stand in the vestibule areas/by the doors even when there loads of seats available on that same carriage, even when the nearest station is 30 minutes away.

This is true it quite annoying at times.

There is always someone who will try to push on when your waiting for other passengers to get off no matter what.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Was there space for the woman to put her pram somewhere else? If the was then you should have asked her to move (or do the simple thing and put your bike in that space). If there was nowhere else for her to put it then what did you expect her to do?

alpin
    Free Member

So youre waiting on the platform for the train, that has double automatic opening doors, people are waiting to get on and off, so you allow the ones on the train to get off, while the braindead muppets around you swarm onto the train stopping the ones getting off and almost forcing them between the platform and train.

welcome to germany!

oh.. you’re in the UK.

but that pretty much sums up the german mentality to commuting by train. people swarm around the door. they’ll start shuffling in the direction the train is travelling as it pulls in and collect infront of the door. they’ll push onto the train as others are trying to get out.

i now just stand there not letting people on if i’m trying to get out and will loudly make it clear to them that i think they are stupid. doesn’t do much in the long run, but helps me cope…..

edit: as Schweiz… be happy that you can take your bike on the train for free. i have to pay 5€ to take my bike onto a train in Bavaria and even then there is no garuntee that you’ll be allowed to take your bike onto the train.

donsimon
    Free Member

but that pretty much sums up the german mentality to commuting by train. people swarm around the door. they’ll start shuffling in the direction the train is travelling as it pulls in and collect infront of the door. they’ll push onto the train as others are trying to get out.

In Madrid they started using the police for control and packing. 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

At London Bridge there’s a tendency for folk to just stand on the platform in front of the doors and give you no space to get off the train first. I just stand in the doorway and make eye-contact until the penny drops and generally the commuting sheep get out of the way. No confrontation necessary.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

a woman with a pram has taken the one and only bike space fitted out with racks for 2 bikes, so then youre forced to stand in the door vestibule

I think the etiquette here might be to ask your parents to remove the stabilisers from your bike, then it might slip in beside the pram.
    Or you could just flip out a copy of the Daily Mail (which I’m sure you carry with you at all times for just such an emergency) and pretend to read it whilst harumphing your displeasure at such inconvenience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never had too much trouble with idiots around the doors, standing on their toes or shouting “Excuse Me!!!” as I launch out of the doors with a suitcase normally helps (so does the beard and an axe murder impression), I normally step forward elbows out while waiting to get on keeping others back and will always offer to help people off with their luggage whilst getting in the way of the idiots.

As for stuff in the bike spaces if the train is full well tough you’ve got a bike ride to work properly.

The main issue with UK trains is the fact that the doors are so small, most French trains have bigger doors so more throughput at stations.

As an aside when I was commuting from Glasgow on the trains people kept getting off to have a fag (non smoking trains) I asked the guy on the platform if it delayed the train waiting for them to get back on, he assured me it never did though they were generally pissed off when the train left without them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As for stuff in the bike spaces if the train is full well tough you’ve got a bike ride to work properly.

Not so – although I try to avoid peak times a cycle space is just that – space for a bike and bikes have priority people should not put luggage there and its the only place you are allowed to have a bike – prams for instance must fold and go in the luggage spaces

MrWoppit
    Free Member

boxfish – Member
    Buy a Brompton?

Damn, beat me to it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

prams for instance must fold and go in the luggage spaces

And does the baby go in the luggage space too?

And what if it is one of these prams?

Scamper
    Free Member

Staggering, TJ’s comment. I’d give up my bike space for a buggie and baby especially on a crowded train.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not so – although I try to avoid peak times a cycle space is just that – space for a bike and bikes have priority people should not put luggage there and its the only place you are allowed to have a bike – prams for instance must fold and go in the luggage spaces

Been here before but just trying to add it up a sign saying bike space means bikes only, a sign saying no bikes please private land means ride where you like…….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’d give up my bike space for a buggie and baby especially on a crowded train.

Yep – I would too, without a moment’s hesitation.

hels
    Free Member

I’m not so sure, I mean babies are nice and all, but what will you do with it when you have to go to work ??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Traveling by train ettiquette rant.’ is closed to new replies.