Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 214 total)
  • Traveling by train ettiquette rant.
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

And what if it is one of these prams?

Anyone who buys one of those and expects to mingle with other people is a pillock!

Anyway – I’ve just had a brilliant idea. For those who don’t want to get/can’t afford a whole new folding bike, how about a quick release stem that you can just swing round so it’s in line with the bars? That would make life stacks easier if you have to use commuter trains with the vestibules.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Anyone who buys one of those and expects to mingle with other people is a pillock!

8)

stanley

Ridiculous to take a bike on a rush-hour / crowded train.
    I did it once and was so embarrassed. Felt like the bike was taking up space that people could have been standing in. I mean; it’s a bike… ride it… don’t take it on a train!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I expect the idea behind paying for a train would be that it’s too far to ride…?

coffeeking
    Free Member

One of the many reasons I can’t stand trains – a large percentage of the people who use them are unhelpful, rude, stupid, ill or some combination of the above, on top of the cost. I resorted to cycling 17 miles instead of using the damn things.

Yep – I would too, without a moment’s hesitation.

I would too, out of social pressure. However in the back of my head I’d still be thinking they’ve chosen to have a kid just the same as I chose to bring a bike, so it’s even stevens.

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you respect everyone’s choices, no matter how small CK? What about those who choose to eat noisily near you, or smoke?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I cannot believe you think a person with a non folding pram – that is not allowed on trains – should be given priority over a bike – which is allowed- in the designated bike space!

Just stop and think for a mo. There is no other place allowed for me to put my bike – not allowed in the doorways. My bike allowed on th train, the non folding pram is not.

so yo are saying I should not be allowed to make my planned journey because someone has used the bike space for a pram that is not allowed on th train?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do you respect everyone’s choices, no matter how small CK? What about those who choose to eat noisily near you, or smoke?

I’d probably walk away to be honest, can’t stand noisy eaters, though I have been known to ask people to stop smoking once in a while.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

the non folding pram is not.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/travelinfo/faqs.html

Each customer can carry, free of charge, three items of personal luggage – two large items (such as a suitcase or rucksack), plus one item of hand luggage. You can also take up to two dogs, or cats, or other domestic animals, folded prams, non-folding prams and carrycots, wheelchairs, including battery operated models where wheels are no larger than those on self-propelled wheelchairs, or any article which does not exceed 1 metre in any dimension and which can be carried by one person.

rewski
    Free Member

so yo are saying I should not be allowed to make my planned journey because someone has used the bike space for a pram that is not allowed on th train?

Yep, if they were there first then tough, lump it or get another train, there’s plenty of them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was about to say what’s allowed on trains depends on the operator I think. IIRC northern trains used to refuse bikes and prams in peak times.

Yep, still is:

We can only carry a maximum of two bikes per train but conductors have responsibility for the safety of their train and have the right to refuse entry if the train is busy.

Makes a mockery of “committed to cycling” when you can’t use it from about 730am to about 10am.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Anyway – I’ve just had a brilliant idea. For those who don’t want to get/can’t afford a whole new folding bike, how about a quick release stem that you can just swing round so it’s in line with the bars? That would make life stacks easier if you have to use commuter trains with the vestibules.

decent stems that do that – as used by Dahon:

http://www.nvocomponents.com/

coffeeking
    Free Member

The other problem I found with bikes on trains was when you’re the second person in, the first person wants to get out you both have to exit the carriage or shift a bunch of standing folk out of the way. And if you’re not fast enough the person who’s BSO is in before yours just rams yours out of the way, scratching it, twanging spokes etc.

I hate public transport.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – read on down thoiose FAQs- the non folding pram has to be booked on and a ticket for it paid for. If so then its fine to be on the train – but still not in the bike bit. On most Scotrail trains it is clearly marked – “bicycle space – do not leave luggage here”

Scamper
    Free Member

TJ, your first comment didn’t differentiate between it being a folding or non folding buggie.

Any how, mother and 6 month old gets on a crowded train. We don’t know the reason why she has to get a train nor she may not know the rules about buggies. She may have bought a ticket for a buggie. She has probebly been up half the night, and the child is crying and teething. She also has a bad back from all the lifting. She is of course is not complaining, but is expected to place her child on the carriage floor and fold the buggie away in the correct storage, just so some mountain biker can exercise his right on a technicality, asks her to move, rather than showing a bit of humility.

rewski
    Free Member

Anyone who wouldn’t give up there space for a pram is a miserable so and so, unless it was Vicky Pollard.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Any how, mother and 6 month old gets on a crowded train. We don’t know the reason why she has to get a train nor she may not know the rules about buggies. She has probebly been up half the night, and the child is crying and teething. She also has a bad back from all the lifting.

Quite frankly don’t see why I should care – she chose to have a kid. It doesn’t somehow make you a saint, it just means you’re another person who made a choice that is now inconveniencing them and you’re having to deal with it. When I’m in that situation I’ll deal with it.

showing a bit of humility.

Not really humility you’re thinking of I don’t think.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t think so TJ – that charge is for ADDITIONAL luggage over and above the free allowance, in which the pram is included.

But still that is beside the point, you said non-folding prams are not allowed, that site says they are. Not sure what argument you are trying to make.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scamper – so I cannot complete my journey? She can put the kid on a seat. There is a big sign that says bicycle space – do not leave luggage here. I cannot put my bike anywhere else.

No MF – non folding prams are not allowed unless booked on I am pretty sure.

The point is you want me not to be allowed to complete my journey despite being within the rules but a parent can break the rules and block me from getting on the train?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No MF – non folding prams are not allowed unless booked on I am pretty sure.

Really, whatever, read into the FAQs page I linked to how you wish but it seems quite clear to me, that non-folding prams are allowed on trains without additional cost.

molgrips
    Free Member

Quite frankly don’t see why I should care

Because you’re a fellow human being?

I will go out of my way to help people regardless of why they need it, in general.

NB this also applies to the pram using mother.

nealglover
    Free Member

Put your bike in the door area like anyone sensible would do ?

Who’s “stopping you from completing your journey” ??

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like it’s quick release though..?

Scamper
    Free Member

TJ, we are not talking about you and a theoretical journey. The OP got on the train to complete his journey, and you have suggested you’d have asked the mother to move. It’s this I find surprising.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Because you’re a fellow human being?

I will go out of my way to help people regardless of why they need it, in general.

NB this also applies to the pram using mother.

So will I, but if their needs conflict with mine and they’re being inconsiderate taking up space reserved for another use then why do they get preference? What I’m saying is you don’t get special treatment for having a kid, you’re no different to someone who just dumped a load of luggage there and couldn’t be bothered to pack it away properly (assuming it’s a folding buggy).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Each customer can carry, free of charge…………. You can also take ……………non-folding prams …………..

The charge for any item outlined above (except cycles) is half the adult fare appropriate to the type of ticket held for the journey per item – subject to a maximum charge (presently £5 single, £10 return).

Bicycles used to be in this category of thing that you needed to book on but it was altered years ago. Yes a non folding pram can be booked on a train but in practice it will only be accepted on trains with a guards van not on the small trains. It is not allowed to be put in the cycle space even if booked on. That is a space reserved for bikes and is the only space a bike is allowed on.

So you really think that it is justified that I can be prevented from taking my journey with my bike that is within the rules by a someone leaving a baby buggy in the cycle space that is against the rules? You think I should just accept this?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scamper – Member

TJ, we are not talking about you and a theoretical journey. The OP got on the train to complete his journey, and you have suggested you’d have asked the mother to move. It’s this I find surprising.

Damn right – I cannot get on the train unless she does and there is a big sign saying cycle space. She can put the buggy elsewhere – I’ll help her to organise it

nealglover – Member

Not allowed as you block the way up and down the train and guards will put people off trains for doing so.

nealglover
    Free Member

TJ, we are not talking about you and a theoretical journey.

You are now.

Another thread has been TJ’d ®

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Christ alive TJ, you are even trying to twist the ScotRail wording on their website…

Each customer can carry, free of charge, three items of personal luggage – two large items (such as a suitcase or rucksack), plus one item of hand luggage. You can also take up to two dogs, or cats, or other domestic animals, folded prams, non-folding prams and carrycots, wheelchairs, including battery operated models where wheels are no larger than those on self-propelled wheelchairs, or any article which does not exceed 1 metre in any dimension and which can be carried by one person.

*******Items for which charges are payable:****** each additional item of luggage over the free allowance, each additional dog, cat or other small animal above the free allowance, each article exceeding 1 metre in any dimension but which must be capable of being carried by one person.

Separate conditions apply to the carraige of pets on our Caledonian Sleeper service. Please click here for full details.

The charge for any item outlined above (except cycles) is half the adult fare appropriate to the type of ticket held for the journey per item – subject to a maximum charge (presently £5 single, £10 return). No further discounts will be available for Railcard or Season Ticket holders. Excess luggage charges do not apply to Caledonian Sleeper Services.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats right – you want to take a non folding pram you have to book and pay for it. Its quite clear.

mrdestructo

I agree that bike spaces are not for luggage, but when it comes to a parents with pushchairs, luggage and kids in tow I’ll help them out, but this will include folding their chair up to squeeze in next to my bike. Most of the time they are unable to fold it up though due to the baggage they require for the day that is invariable tied to it, or squeezed in it.

All too often I’ve seen mothers with their kids sitting on the floor in the spaces between carriages because it’s too difficult for them to store their gear and go get a table and control the kids. I think we have a civic duty to help ensure their journey isn’t hell.

Three of us once used a train with a guards carriage. We went in and put our bikes against the wall inside, there was nothing to tie the bikes up with. We were asked to leave. 35 miles later we went to get our bikes and found one panel inside the carriage had been dented in terribly. One bikes grips had been chewed up as the bike spun on the floor. That’s what happens when you’re sticking 45-55lb freeride/bighit bikes in there…..

rewski
    Free Member

Sign says this is a cycle priority area, a kid in a pram on a busy train takes priority over a bike in my book. And what would you do if there was already two bikes in the area?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Since when did a buggy become a peice of luggage? does that mean that a dog is a peice of luggage? A wheel chair? The very few times i have used a train i have folded the buggy up and hung it in the ‘bike area’ and have then stood next to it as its not like you can put it any where else. You can yet again tell the TJ doesn’t have children as he is advicating puting a small child who is likly to roll off on to a seat while you walk away from them.
    What are you going to do if there are alrady 2 bikes in ‘your’ space?

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Thats right – you want to take a non folding pram you have to book and pay for it. Its quite clear.

That’s not the way I read it.

Take the dog as an example. Dogs are not included in the 3 items, they are listed along with prams.

The next paragraph states that charges are payable for items over the free allowance including each additional dog.

Coyote
    Free Member

TJ, we are not talking about you and a theoretical journey.

You are now.

Another thread has been TJ’d ®

Quality!

Funny how TJ is an absolute stickler for the rules as long as it fits in with his view of things.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rewski – more than two bikes I would try to fit it on the rack but its the guards discretion and I have been refused on a train under those situations.

It is not a pram priority everywhere – you really think that a mother with kids being on a train and putting the baby buggy in the cycle space where it is not allowed means I should not be allowed to make my journey?

nealglover
    Free Member

Not allowed as you block the way up and down the train and guards will put people off trains for doing so.

Not if there is a pushchair in the designated bike space they won’t (not your fault it’s blocked)

And as you know this perfectly well, I can only guess you are being deliberately argumentative (as usual) and I’ll not bother any further.

(Can you explain how that killfile thing for ignoring numpties who talk sh1t works please ?)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – you missed the max 1m in any dimesnsion bit. – you are only allowed those things for free below 1m max dimension and capable of being carried by one person – this is so they can go in the luggage spaces

Each customer can carry,………… or any article which does not exceed 1 metre in any dimension and which can be carried by one person.

*******Items for which charges are payable:******……….. each article exceeding 1 metre in any dimension but which must be capable of being carried by one person.

I used to use the trains when bikes had to meet this rules as well – so you paid a half fare up to £5 for the bike but then were guaranteed a space

The reason for the 1 m stipulation is that this is to make sure the item can go in the luggage spaces

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Traveling by train ettiquette rant.’ is closed to new replies.