Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 330 total)
  • Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

2undred.

jwmlee
    Free Member

It does use an Allen key. Fits up inside the nut. Can be reasonably tight. I think there is a recommended torque rating. Saddle and seat post is fine – good quality.

tony24
    Free Member

Anyone noticed how close the granny ring is to the frame on the internal of it. Basically any grit will start rubbing the frame away 🙁 going to have to remove the granny and file the tabs to be on the safe side ….

jwmlee
    Free Member

Will check it out. Helicopter tape?

tony24
    Free Member

Dont think tape will be up to the job specially if its a very muddy ride. Well happy with the bike as a whole though fantastic bit of kit for the money.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Very happy with mine too. Haven’t properly ridden it yet. MHW have offered to pay to have the niggles sorted out by my lbs.

Really looking forward to seeing how it compares with the 26er of a similar spec (Cube Reaction Pro with HPT frame).

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I am just loving the bike, am playing about with tyre pressures. First few outings too much pressure, have dropped down to 35 psi front/rear. Will probably stick with that but am starting to think i might want to try and go tubless with them. Never done this so will have to look into it.

I think i need tape for the rims some tubless valves and so sealer.

tony24
    Free Member

Going to look at the rims later i saw blue tape which looked like the plastic type stans use inside so might only need valves. I have put just over 70 miles xc on the bike this weekend and its been smiles all the way this bike has racier geometry than my old bike but i am still quicker downhill really seems sure footed !

I run the front at 30 psi and rear 35 psi cant believe how forgiving the frame is aswell.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Have dropped mine to 28psi. Feel pretty firm compared with my 26. Waiting for things to dry out a little before riding on the moor. Still need mud tyres and the Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph combo isn’t great in the mud.

velomanic
    Free Member

😥

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Must be your awsome power.

jwmlee
    Free Member

What’s up?

gsp1984
    Free Member

Doh! Fail…

Stick an SRAM on it and carry some powerlocks 😉

Was it dodgy gear changes, or running big ring front, big ring rear?

velomanic
    Free Member

Got a SRAM on order so should be back in business soon.

Dodgy gear change while climbing finished the shimano off…

What power link can you use on a shimano 10 speed? Was thinking of making the old one into an emergency spare.

jwmlee
    Free Member

I use KMC missing links on my 10 speed chains. You can reuse them.

They can be a bit tight to begin with so also have the pliers to remove them.

jwmlee
    Free Member

My 29er is ready to go, albeit with brakes which need bleeding and topping up with fluid.

This is how they set up the front gear cable. Rough!

[/url] 249_4964 by jwmlee, on Flickr[/img]

velomanic
    Free Member

Looks exactly the same as my how my front gear cable is!

Thanks jwmlee – sorted a KMC link for the old chain new SRAM now fitted 🙂

appy
    Free Member

Had my 26″ Reaction GTC Team for about 6 weeks, ridden about 30 miles due to work and other bikes…
    Was loving it up to the point where the frame cracked..gutted

druidh
    Free Member

jwmlee – Member
    My 29er is ready to go, albeit with brakes which need bleeding and topping up with fluid.

This is how they set up the front gear cable. Rough!

What’s the problem?

boxelder

What’s the problem?

A little unshort I’d say

jwmlee
    Free Member

The cable housing was too long and is vulnerable to being caught and ripped out. Removed the cable, trimmed the housing and replaced the cable. The routing through the bottom bracket was a right pain in the ar*e.

If anyone has any tips on how to route internal cables on the 29 GTC I would love to hear from them. Will probably use dental floss next time.

druidh
    Free Member

Will making it shorter not result in tighter angles, leading to poorer shifting?

jwmlee
    Free Member

appy – my 2010 GTC PRO cracked on the seat tube. MHW in Germany replaced it free of charge. That replacement cracked when a rock kicked up from the front wheel and (I kid you not) smashed into the bottom bracket. MHW gave me a crash replacement titanium HPT frame at a very competitive price. Hope this helps.

jwmlee
    Free Member

@druidh – No. It’s about the angle. Shifting is fine.

First ride today – just a pootle with my gf. Man, that bike is fast!

Did a couple of sprints and missed a Strava KOM by a second on a really popular climb. Can’t wait to take it out on my usual loop. Needs to dry out a bit more before that happens. Those Ron/Ralphs aren’t mud tyres.

razor

Stan’s conversion to tubeless was very straight forward. So far so good.

tony24
    Free Member

Did you just use the yellow tape or full kit?

razor

Full kit. Sidewallls sealed straight away – no messing. I guess you could go ‘ghetto’ with a 24″ tube…

tony24
    Free Member

I am going to try just the yellow tape x 2 and see if that holds up

JPothecary
    Free Member

Arrgh! just tried for an hour to go tubless on my reaction 29er

I’m using the Stans cross country 29 rim strips. The Schwalb tyres are so light and flimsy that i can’t get the beads to move out of the centre channel. Am using a floor pump! any help to get these working tubless greatly appreciated

never had any issues on my 26 ZTr rims….

tony24
    Free Member

Home made compressor mate spend 20 mins making it, priceless bit of kit 😉

JPothecary
    Free Member

So Tony whats the secrect formula for a home made compressor? don’t fancy spending £80 on a new one just to go tubeless 🙂

tony24
    Free Member
    razor

Same problem, but I just used a 25g CO2 cartridge on each one (and remembered to coat the beads with diluted fairy liquid) and they went straight up.

Once it’s all sealed and done, replace the CO2 with regular air otherwise the sealant won’t work when you get a puncture.

JPothecary
    Free Member

What a great cheap tool!

I had to go to 60 to get them up…However this was without the valve in..as soon as I deflate to put the valve in they go back to their saggy form! Tried with valve in but this restricts the bust of air. I reall

I’m leaving it inflated without valve for a few hours with sealent in do you think this will keep the beads locked in when i deflate again next?

tony24
    Free Member

Had thos problem once just yank the tube off the valve cover it with your finger then get the valve insert and push it in then screw you can do it without losing to much air.

On another note today i also snapped my chain ? Middle ring 3rd from top of the cassette powered out of a corner and it just broke . Do you think cibe are doing something wrong with the chains.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Do you think cibe are doing something wrong with the chains.

Hardly think so.

JPothecary
    Free Member

Thanks again that worked…very surprised that a tyre would leak through the side wall when virtually brand new! how they can brand them tubless ready! .maybe tubeless ready as long as you use sealant!!

I’ll be going back to Kenda’s as soon as i’ve ruined these…which i suspect won’t be long!

tony24
    Free Member

Tubeless ready requires sealant no matter what its UST that dont leak air but there heavy and exspensive

jwmlee
    Free Member

Rode the 29 Reaction GTC SL again last night and the chain slipped off the granny ring and has scratched the frame near the bottom bracket.

My 26 Reaction GTC has a stainless guard attached to the frame to prevent the chain from damaging the frame.

Is my 29 GTC the only frame without this guard?

JPothecary
    Free Member

My 29 GTC Sl has it! looks like its stuck on… not sute if the LBS does this when setting up? I still had the masking tape wraped round it and the frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.