Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 214 total)
  • Traveling by train ettiquette rant.
  • D0NK

We can only carry a maximum of two bikes per train but conductors have responsibility for the safety of their train and have the right to refuse entry if the train is busy.

funny how cramming everyone in like sardines is safe but bringing a bike on to a train which has spaces specifically for bikes is/maybe dangerous.

I wouldn’t kick a pram out of the bike space, most other people are fair game tho, what’s really annoying is when someone leaves their luggage there then pisses off down the train somewhere.

Morons who don’t let passengers off before getting on are piss boiling too.

rewski
    Free Member

you really think that a mother with kids being on a train and putting the baby buggy in the cycle space where it is not allowed means I should not be allowed to make my journey?

I’m saying in that situation I would inconvenience myself before a mother with kids, so yes. It’s not the only train left in the world ever, get a latte and wait for the next one. This is getting silly now, bye.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You are just being silly now TJ – the pram is specifically ALLOWED as a free item. The ‘max 1m’ bit is for other items not specifically allowed as a free item.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hang on – TJ complaining about luggage in the way of parking his bike on the train? Haven’t we already done this?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

She would not have to get off the train – merely organise her stuff a bit better. very little inconvenience for her, a lot for me

She puts the kid on her knee and folds the buggy away or goes to the vestibule with it. As the rules state- Or I have to wait for the next train and you think I should wait?

Neal – I have been refused by the guard to get on a train that already had its limit for cycles and was not allowed into he doorway, I have also a couple of times seen the guards tell people to move their stuff out of the bicyle bit

Lifer
    Free Member

Love the rental car advert at the top!

If it’s that important why not email the flipping train company and ask them for a definitive answer?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Golly, have we got to the point of kicking off Prams from trains..

Seriously?

Jeeze.

Catch the early sardine can to That Waterloo and try kicking off a Pram. You’d be met with untold abuse, and quite right too.

“sits pondering the motivation of human race”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No bikebouy – the pram can be put elsewhere on the train – that is the point. the bike cannot

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What if all available space had already been taken so the woman with the pram *had* to stand in the bike space?

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal – I have been refused by the guard to get on a train that already had its limit for cycles and was not allowed into he doorway,

Different situation and totally irrelevant to the discussion.

I have also a couple of times seen the guards tell people to move their stuff out of the bicyle bit

So nobody is “prevented from completing their journey” as you previously claimed then ?

You put your bike in the doorway area.
    If the guard asks you to move it, you explain that there is a pram in the bike area and he sorts it out.

Happy days.

konabunny
    Free Member

Each customer can carry,………… or any article which does not exceed 1 metre in any dimension and which can be carried by one person.

You twisting what it says to suit what you want it to say. The >1m/carried by one person requirement applies to any article, not the objects previously mentioned.

The reason for the 1 m stipulation is that this is to make sure the item can go in the luggage spaces

Are you suggesting that this means that battery-operated wheelchairs (which you know, probably better than anyone else here, are very heavy and used principally by people who have mobility problems) must be capable of being carried by one person and must be placed in the luggage spaces?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can think of somewhere most of the commuters would like to shove your bike TJ

Form an orderly queue…..

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Wow! Thought I could be a self-centered SOB sometimes but the attitude of TJ (combined with hilarious hypocrisy) has me beaten hands down.

Mother with kid has to do all of that just to prevent your inconvenience, you a fit, fully grown Alpha Male.

😆

Scamper
    Free Member

Can someone lend TJ a small child so he can try folding a buggie while having a child on his knee. I presume this is what you mean by “organise her stuff a bit better?”

cinnamon_girl

Rules are rules surely?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I simply cannot believe that you think it is right that a mother can leave a baby buggy in the cycle space when there are other spaces available for it and that her right to break the rules in this way means its OK for me to be unable to complete my journey despite the fact I am within the rules and she is not?

This is gobsmacking – yo think a parent can just do what they want no matter the inconvenience to anyone else – a sort of parent trumps all card?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Konabunny – read it again its quite clear about wheelchairs – and they have priority over bikes in the space on some trains. Bikes can then be put off a train

Again I have been refused to be allowed on a train because of a wheelchair user in the space – quite right as well.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Why didn’t you just put your bike in one of the “other spaces”?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like it’s quick release though..?

One hex bolt to loosen and it will slide right off the top, straight over the top cap which is flush. When the stem goes back on there is no faffing around to line it up due to the channel groove arrangement.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not allowed as its over 1 m long 🙄 a bike can only go in the bike space.

nealglover
    Free Member

for me to be unable to complete my journey

TJ. You keep saying that, like it’s true.

But as you clearly showed above, it’s not true at all.

The guard would ask the person to move the offending items from the cycle space so you could park your bike there.

(then you could stand tall, knowing you were sticking to the rules, while everyone on the carriage would think you were a total arsehole)

Stop saying it now please. Your making yourself look stupid.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the pram can be put elsewhere on the train

not on a lot of trains, the bike ‘bay’ is the only luggage storing spot, other than some small/narrow racks in the carriage.

If more of the passengers did this, life would be so much easier:

molgrips
    Free Member

One hex bolt to loosen

Mmm.. but I don’t want to take it off, I want to swivel it around. Bars dangling on cables are awkward.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Neal
    nice edit

Yes in practie that is what would happen but people on here are saying I should not expect her to move and should not ask her to move in which case I cannot get on the train as the bike space is the only place a bike is allowed

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

the pram can be put elsewhere on the train

not on a lot of trains, the bike ‘bay’ is the only luggage storing spot, other than some small/narrow racks in the carriage.

It is not a luggage storing point -t here is sign telling you not to put luggage there usually

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mmm.. but I don’t want to take it off, I want to swivel it around. Bars dangling on cables are awkward.

You could use one of these and cut the extension down to just be the stack height of your stem, would put the bars a bit higher which you could then offset a bit with a stem with a negative rise.

I did this on one a while ago to use on my Dahon, then found the NVO stems, bought one, but never used it as I downsized to a Birdy. I might have chucked it but if I find it you are welcome to it.

there’s a few on this page:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems-accessories-dept350_pg1/?src=froogle

I think the NVO’s are better though – proper, decent looking stems and quite light.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

t here is sign telling you not to put luggage there usually

yes, but where else do you put it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To be honest, if I was on the same train as TJ with my kids and pushchair I would do all I could to upset his poor little head.

Seriously TJ – you need to take a good hard look at yourself sometimes.

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal

nice edit

Erm….. Thanks ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Turner guy – in the luggage space or in the vestiblue / doorway – where the bike cannot be lefl

MF – really? I think you do with your selfish parents come first attitude.

Why do you think it acceptable for a baby buggy to be left in the cycle in breach of the rules even if it means I cannot get on the train with my bike? There are other places to put the baby buggies there is no other place to put the bike. Fortunately most parents are not selfish enough to do this.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

So its ok to leave the buggy in the doorway where it will fall over and trip people up but not in your special bike space evn though its not classed as luggage and guards will ask you to put them there?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No – the buggy should go in a luggage space where its is meant to go – and the guards on scotrail tell people top take them out of the bike space.

I cannot believe you all saying that the big ” bike space sign” should be ignored

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So I cannot actually make journies on trains with my bike as any parent should be allowed to sue the bike space and thus prevent me from getting on the train- is that it?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Have you ever used a buggy?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – really? I think you do with your selfish parents come first attitude.

I woud say I have more of a ‘get a grip and get on with your life rather than worrying about someone who might have stolen your precious bike space on a train’ attitude.

But, for what it is worth, given similar circumstances I would put my pushchair there (we don’t have a pram) but (assuming there was space elsewhere) would move if someone with a bike asked me to. But if you asked and you came across in person like you do on here, I would tell you to jog on and go cry to a conductor.

And TJ, you do realise that some prams will not fit in a car boot, never mind in a luggage space on atrain don’t you? I am sure you do.

And I am sure you also know that some prams do not fold at all don’t you?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No – but I rely on using trains with my bike and do not see why a parent should be allowed to stop me when I am within the rules and they are not

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TJ I think you miss the point, live by the rules die by the rules, all the rules well only the ones I like…..

owenfackrell
    Free Member

How does a buggy in the space stop you from physicaly getting on the train and then asking the guard/conductor to get the buggy moved? or does a buggy have some sort of anti tj shield?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am within the rules and they are not

Good god please listen to yourself.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So MF you actually would be reasonable and allow the cyclist their space – thats all I ask.

All I want is to get on the train with my bike as I am allowed. I would, as I always do, politely ask them and offer to help them move the stuff as said on this thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Traveling by train ettiquette rant.’ is closed to new replies.