Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)
  • Traveling by train ettiquette rant.
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

there are plently of places to put buggies

1 – A pram is not a buggy

correct – a non folding pram requires a ticket being bought for it and is carried at the guards discretion

2 – What if the spaces for luggage were already taken and the woman was using the last remaining space?

The woman is not using a luggage space – she is using a bicylce space and she can put the bggy in the doorway / vestibule

3 – Do you think it acceptable for a parent to struggle with their baby in their arms whilst trying to stow their pram somewhere so you can park your bike in its rightful space?

Yes – I would offer to help but unless I can put my bike on the train in the bike space I cannot travel

4 – Ohh, what’s the point?

I hoped yo might understand that consideration goes both ways and while the woman with the child has plenty of other options as you would know if yo had ever done this the cyclist has no other option

nealglover
    Free Member

Yes – I would offer to help but unless I can put my bike on the train in the bike space I cannot travel

Are you seriously telling us that you have never travelled on a train without putting your bike in the dedication bike space ?

Seriously.

You’ve never just stood with it, or put it somewhere else ?

Never.

Not once ?

🙄

(ps: if you say you haven’t, I don’t believe you. Just in case you were wondering)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not for 20 years – its not allowed on Scotrail trains to travel without putting it in the bike space and the guards are hot on it. Fortunately they also stop people from putting other things in the bike space. You are not allowed to stand in the doorways / vestibule as it blocks the corridor.

I have also not been allowed on a train ( rightly) because a disable passenger had booked into the space and I have not been allowed on a train that already had 2 bikes on it.

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

I agree with TJ too. Can’t see why parent can’t move their stuff if there’s room elsewhere. I don’t remember ever having a problem transporting my twins on a train. And if I’d left my buggies in the bike space, I’d shift it if someone got on with a bike

owenfackrell
    Free Member

You are not allowed to stand in the doorways / vestibule as it blocks the corridor.

But it is alright to put a buggy here? Hell our buggy folds pretty small but I would fall over it in a door way.
    You can not apply the scotsrail rules (or at least your interpretation of them) to the rest of the country as each operator has there own. Like MF I don’t use trains as they cost far to much for us compared to using the car which we have anyway.

tony_m
    Free Member

no-one’s actually had their journey disrupted by evil pram toting parents, no-one’s had to jostle past ranks of parked pushchairs to exercise their rights and no children’s faces have been harmed…..

Well, actually, my journey back from Manchester a few weeks ago was slightly less comfortable than it could have been, but with a bit of courtesy all round we managed to successfully accommodate my bike, a folding buggy, a young mother and two small children without blocking anybody else’s way.

The twonks with the humungous wheelie-cases taking up the other half of the bike space are another matter, however… 👿

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yawn, think I might ride my bike tomorrow evening.
    Can’t believe TJ is still getting all airreated over a HYPOTHETICAL situation. If you cant get your bike in the bike space, just stand with it by the doors. I’ve done that all the way from Brighton to Portsmouth. Yes it was a PITA, but I lived. Is it really worth writing 6 pages of dross over nothing??

johnners
    Free Member

C’mon bigyinn, at least read the last couple of posts – Scotrail don’t let you just stand by the doors with a bike, so it’s a whole different level of PITA if you aren’t even able to travel on the train.[/u]

Oh, and

Can’t believe TJ is still getting all airreated over a HYPOTHETICAL situation

If it’s hypothetical for TJ it’s just as hypothetical for everyone else, why not have a pop at them?

bigyinn
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Can’t believe TJ everyone is still getting all airreated over a HYPOTHETICAL situation.

FTFM

ojom
    Free Member

This is an obvious case for The Big Man to get involved in. What would he do?

Boot the buggy off OR boot TJ off?

Lifer
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member
    This is an obvious case for The Big Man to get involved in. What would he do?

Get arrested.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

In the examples given (mother on her own, young baby)it’s not really possible to fold up and stow the buggy, unless someone else offers to help.

Of course it is possible – I used to do it. Mothers become extremely adept at doing all sorts of seemingly impossible tasks whilst holding a baby, they have to!

ransos
    Free Member

Of course it is possible – I used to do it. Mothers become extremely adept at doing all sorts of seemingly impossible tasks whilst holding a baby, they have to!

Many prams require both hands in order to fold it. You cannot hold a baby at the same time.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Many prams require both hands in order to fold it. You cannot hold a baby at the same time.

Indeed, but if you know you’ll need to fold it, you buy one you can fold easily – simples.

Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘Traveling by train ettiquette rant.’ is closed to new replies.