Home Forums Bike Forum Transition Patrol – Main pivot bolt seized.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Transition Patrol – Main pivot bolt seized.
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m in the process of stripping my ‘17 carbon Patrol down for new pivot bearings.

I’m down to the main pivot bolt and it looks like it has seized into the inner races of of the two bearings it runs through. As I start to turn the pivot bolt the chainstay wants to pull over to one side, if I were to continue it would probably start to splay the chainstay.

I currently have it sat in a huge dollop of GT85 in the hope it will free up.

Does anybody have any ideas I could try? Thanks.

Flippinkipper
    Free Member

Try Halford shock and unlock penetrating oil. Got my seized pivot bolt out no problem after I had been beating on it pretty hard with no success using WD40 and GT85.

SirHC

Had the same happen to a mates bike, pig of a job.

Wind the pivot bolt out so it just starts to splay the swingarm, then use a piece of threaded bar/nuts/washers/sockets to pinch the swingarm back. You should be able to walk the pivot bolt out. You will then see that transition elected to assemble it dry.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks HC that makes sense.

Although I have a horrible feeling I’m past that, I’ve tried holding the two sides together with a large cast sash clamp but it still wants to splay.

Gutted I didn’t check them sooner but I left it be as it’s been running so well. Frustrating as I’m stuck in the house after a knee op so have to work with what I have here.

Might send the Mrs out to Halfords for some of that stuff flippin kipper suggested (thanks fk).

SirHC

Tried initially with a bike g clamp, the bar and sockets was more effective. There is no need for it to thread into the swingarm. Double collets at either end would be cheaper to make and easier to work on!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

So were you undoing the pivot bolt to the point the chainstay began to splay, then using threaded bar, nuts and sockets to pull the chainstay/pivot bolt through the bearings?

I’d be worried about damaging the chainstay with the sockets. I presume you got away with it?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Flippin kipper.

Internet high five to you sir ✋🏻

Two liberal doses of that shock and unlock (last tin in my local store too), a couple of taps later the pivot bolt was out. Nothing else I tried touched it.

Not often I’m impressed with something. It actually did what it says on the tin

Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Transition Patrol – Main pivot bolt seized.’ is closed to new replies.