Home Forums Chat Forum Trailer vs Roof Box

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Trailer vs Roof Box
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For moving household contents across Europe when your car’s not big enough. A local place near me does a very nice line in trailers at good prices, made from something called buffalo board I think. I can get a 5×3 with sides maybe 2ft high for a similar price to a Thule roof box, since I’d need roof bars as well.

Roof box pros: I can drive faster, the train/ferry will be cheaper

Trailer pros: Can fit more stuff in, will be pretty useful to have in general, less faff to fit/load.

Anyone got any idea of how a small covered trailer will affect fuel economy vs a roofbox and towbar bike rack? Bike(s) will be coming so I’ll need the rack if I go with the roofbox.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I shouldn’t imagine there will be much in it for one journey. Your fuel will probably be less with the trailer because you will be driving more slowly.

If you get a trailer though all of your friends (assuming you have any) will be asking you to help them move/go to the tip/ carry their stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t have many friends so that’s not much of a risk 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d always go with a trailer over a roof box, BUT watch your toll/ferry charges – any trailer could add considerably to the cost.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Couldnt you higher a transit van/small van for less than either option?

molgrips
    Free Member

No. Need to drive to Germany then drive back in August with all the same stuff plus the stuff we brought over in the first place. One way trans-European rental would be costly I fear!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Trailer vs Roof Box’ is closed to new replies.