Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Tory conference 2018
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

“So let us say with Milton: Methinks I see in my mind a noble and puissant nation rousing herself like a strong man after sleep, and shaking her invincible locks.

Methinks I see her as an eagle mewing her mighty youth, and kindling her undazzled eyes at the full midday beam.

“Ladies and gentleman, let us seize that prize.”

Good grief. 😬

rone

Research shows that people consistently support ostensibly left-wing policies, such as raising taxes to pay for healthcare, building more council houses, and nationalising public transport.

Support but then don’t vote for.

franksinatra

Her arms are freakishly long  like a Jim Henson puppet

rone

And the chain around her neck. Looked like a proper chain, like from Les Miserables.

Squidlord
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vItooKRot6k

Although “Kill the Poor” might have worked better.

duckman

Renee, mwsmith; the conservatives have had the most MP’s twice in Scotland in the 91 years since universal suffrage, most recently 63 years ago. I am interested to hear how that contradicts the statement about us being saddled with them.  Still; not for much longer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Apparently Austerity is over.

Another lie.

piemonster

Renee, mwsmith; the conservatives have had the most MP’s twice in Scotland in the 91 years since universal suffrage, most recently 63 years ago. I am interested to hear how that contradicts the statement about us being saddled with them.  Still; not for much longer.

A couple of years in recession as a result of Brexit should be enough to achieve independence.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The dance was a stroke of distraction genius.

Todays papers… all about the dancing rather than the absolute mess we are in.

cchris2lou

Allowing councils to borrow more money, what could go wrong ?

martinhutch

Marina Hyde nailed it !

That article is sublime. I suppose it is the comment-writing equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel, but still, no turd is left un-stoned there.

kelvin

kerley
    Free Member

Apparently Austerity is over.

Another lie.

And it is over because of all the hard work ‘you’ have done, not because all the services have been cut to death.  Another lie.

Politicians are either delusional or manipulative liars as they either believe the shit they are saying or know it is bollocks, neither are a good traits.

kelvin

I want security and stability, what happended to them?

slowoldman

Oh that’s just so last year dahling.

DezB
    Free Member

Shitting hell, that Dancing Queen horror should have had a “look away now if you’re of a sensitive disposition” warning!

I almost saw it! Was looking away, then glanced up, luckily just as she arrived at the podium.

I mean, imagine having that image stuck in your head…

Sorry if you actually saw it. I feel for you.

tjagain

On austerity – the governments aims of balancing the books completely would have been achieved this year had it not been for the losses to the economy from brexit.  as it is they are still a long way fro their stated aim due to the loss of income from the loss of growth and the increased costs

rene59
    Free Member

Duckman

Renee, mwsmith; the conservatives have had the most MP’s twice in Scotland in the 91 years since universal suffrage, most recently 63 years ago. I am interested to hear how that contradicts the statement about us being saddled with them. Still; not for much longer.

I was only correcting a statement. We can still be saddled by them in the present even when acknowledging we have voted them in in the past. Interesting that you took that as any sort of contradiction.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simple maths

4m people voted in Scotland in 2017 (66% turnout) so the electorate is about 6m people.

UK Turnout was 46.8m @ 68.7 so total electorate is about 68m??

Turnout wise Scotland is 8.5% and about the same as a percentage of the total electorate

Greater London has a population of about 8.5million from census data.

It’s only that some people use a historic line on the ground to identify what Scotland is that lumps you all together. You get the government the country votes for.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Unless we leave the UK….

tjagain

Mike.  Scotland is a country.  The UK is a union of countries.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, leaving is the way to change it….but suggesting that your 8% should count for more makes no sense really. Given the scottish parliament is also up there it’s a lot of representation for such a small number of people.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mike.  Scotland is a country.  The UK is a union of countries.

Points for pedantry then, still doesn’t change the maths

kelvin

Keep taking down to the Scots, they love it… no better way to convince them that the UK has their interests at heart, and not just England’s…

kerley
    Free Member

they need us more than we need them

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keep taking down to the Scots, they love it… no better way to convince them that the UK has their interests at heart, and not just England’s…

Not here to convince anyone that people care about them 😉 I’m sure somebody will be offering hugs or something. More that it’s an unrealistic expectation that you should have more representation than your numbers reflect.

Scotland has a nuclear option to change that but it was rejected in favour of being part of the UK.Things may change.

theotherjonv

Shitting hell, that Dancing Queen horror should have had a “look away now if you’re of a sensitive disposition” warning!

If dancing is the vertical expression of horizontal desire, #prayforphil

Side note, but I was enjoying ‘Bodyguard’ with Keeley Hawes giving Richard Madden the come on until the wife piped up (somewhat gleefully) ‘Didn’t Teresa May used to be Home Secretary?’

Ruined. Totally.

slowoldman

I’ve just been listening to Zappa’s “Sheikh Yerbouti” album and right there was the track May should have come on to. “Dancing Fool”.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yeah but since TM there’s been Amber Rudd. Grrrrrrrrrrr……?

johnners
    Free Member

Simple maths

4m people voted in Scotland in 2017 (66% turnout) so the electorate is about 6m people.

UK Turnout was 46.8m @ 68.7 so total electorate is about 68m??

46.8m is the estimated total electorate in 2017, not the turnout. The UK population is less than 68m so that can’t be the total electorate.

Points for pedantry then, still doesn’t change the maths

Mate. Come on.

somafunk

I’ve just been listening to Zappa’s “Sheikh Yerbouti” album and right there was the track May should have come on to. “Dancing Fool”.

Christ….how we need someone like Zappa at this precise moment to elucidate just how Fubard our political system is.

tjagain

Don’t give Mike a hard time for that. I understand the point he was making and it has some validity.

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Tory conference 2018’ is closed to new replies.