Home Forums Chat Forum Toolmasters of STW, please educate me about tool chests.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Toolmasters of STW, please educate me about tool chests.
    Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion that my current set up isn’t adequate. I’m using a tool box and a couple of cupboards.

Currently every job is getting more stressful and taking longer than it needs to be as I search around in a black hole for the various tools that I need. Also that corner of the garage is permanently untidy, as every time I tidy it, I inevitably end up getting everything out next time I’m searching for something.

On a recent trip to Halfords I’ve seen some tool chests, which seem like the perfect answer for me.

As it’s Halfords, I presume their tool chests are ok for (very) occasional use, but that for something that is likely to be used regularly another make would be better?’

So STW collective of tools, hit me with your suggestions.

sharkattack

My Halfords Professional stuff is 5 years old now and still looks and works like brand new. Black Friday is coming up, keep an eye on the prices. Can’t remember how much I paid but I waited until they were on offer and swooped on a big roller cabinet and a chest which sits on top.

scotroutes

I just made a “tool wall” to hold my collection. That does mean I can’t wheel it outside but most work is done in the garage anyway. 

I prefer that to a tool chest as everything is visible and it’s simple to replace each too as I use it. 

Yak

I have a big SGS rollercab. Does the job and everything is tidy. I quite like the handy extra workspace on top so didn’t go for a topbox/ chest.

RustyNissanPrairie

I have Halfords stuff for car tinkering tools – been good. Was black Friday mega deal thingy.

All roller cabs are all much of a muchness at this level unless you are looking at professional stuff (Snap on etc)

freeagent
    Free Member

The Halfords stuff with roller bearing slides is fine – i’ve had a couple vof mine for 10+ years and they still work like new.

I’ve also got a Snap-On Top box – it is much better quality than Halfords but for anything other than heavy industrial use i’d say it wouldn’t be worth 4 x the price of the Halfords box.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

the Clarke boxes from Machine Mart are great too, they have a few levels of quality vs cost (the gauge of the steel used and the quality and type of runner).

sofaboy73
    Free Member

i’ve got several Hika tool chests and drawers (the red ones rather than their pro stuff) and it’s fine for DIY / bike tinkering usage. looks identical to some of the halfords ones, so not sure if halfords just re-badge their stuff or not

dyna-ti

I bought a brace of these… Ultimate 36

Drawers are good, but tbh I could do with having more drawers and less cupboards In conjunction with a tool wall(which you can get on ebay quite cheaply) it makes a good set up.

The handle at the end is removable, so you can stick 2 together, and if you want to make them less ‘wobbly’ just remove the wheels.

s-l1600

snotrag

Clarke HD, or Halfords Pro, or SGS etc, all fine – just make sure you have ball bearing runners/sliders, thats the absolute must.

And buy the biggest one you can possibly fit. It will still not be big enough!

bigginge

More Halfords advance ones here, bought during a previous black Friday event. Compare quite favorably with the more expensive stuff we have at work and noticeably nicer than the more budget ones we have knocking about there.

zilog6128

Clarke HD, or Halfords Pro, or SGS etc, all fine – just make sure you have ball bearing runners/sliders

Halfords (good) ones are great, although they’ve confusingly changed the range recently. What used to be “Pro” (with the nice action on the drawers) now isn’t called that anymore (& the shitty range has been re-branded “portable” or “tool centre” or something). There is a new Pro/Advanced range which is even more substantial plus has a big top opening bit on the top unit which is great for using as a storage/charging centre for power tools, and is available in 2 widths – 3′ and just over 2′.

I got the new 3-stack Advanced unit last time they had sale on, extremely heavy & only just about fits vertically in my garage 😂

footflaps

10+ years old Halfords pro kit here, still working perfectly.

duncancallum

I bought a 5ft homebase one for 595 quid.

Same as SGS one.  

Northwind

Only thing I’d add is, get deeper drawers than you expect. For really flat stuff, the shallow drawers are fine but for anything funny shaped, or anything where things are a bit piled up in the drawer, it’s only a matter of time til it starts jamming up. I’ve retired a perfectly good clarke one with the shallow drawers to the shed and replaced with one with taller but fewer drawers and it’s just so much better.

mrmoofo
    Free Member

Halfords Professional 

Just wait until they are on special offer.

I have had mine 7 years 

Kramer
    Free Member

Thanks all.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Halfords pro here. 20 years old now.  I’ve also got a bunch of horizontal filing cabinets with a sheet of ply screwed the top to make a workbench with cavernous capacity. Bombproof and free.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.