Home Forums Bike Forum Titus Silk Road Titanium – Anyone got one?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Titus Silk Road Titanium – Anyone got one?
  • Mike
    Free Member

Been looking at these this morning, likely to be onto something else tomorrow mind…anyone have one with a short travel fork on there’s?

Would love to see a real word pic of a size small

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRTISILKROADTI/titus-silk-road-titanium-adventure-bike-frame

ads678

I’ve been looking at these as well. I don’t like the bent top tube but they look like a bargain.

Also looking at the Titus El Viejevo (sp) want pair it with a rigid carbon fork, the Sonder one probably.

Daffy

I don’t have a Silk Road, but do have an El Viajero with a 100mm fork if you can get some inspiration from that? It’s a large.

Mike
    Free Member

Yeah, was hoping/wondering if the small frame did away with that hump in the top tube!

Looks nice that Daffy – pleased with it?

Daffy

Very.

honourablegeorge

That’s awfully cheap. Not sure what I’d do with it, but I’m tempted/

a11y

Also, not quite a Silk Road and not a size small, but my Titus Mutsu in XL with a 490mm A-C rigid eXotic carbon fork. On paper the Silk Road is listed as shorter WB and chainstays, similar reach, and steeper SA and HA, although I’m not sure what fork length the geometry charts are based on.

I’m a few years and 10k KMs on it so far and happy. I moved to this from a Roadrat I’d gradually bastardised into something it wasn’t intended to be (wider tyres and longer fork for added tyre/mudguard clearance) – funnily enough, this does it all much better for me.

Titus Mutsu

Titus Mutsu

Titus Mutsu

luv2ride
    Free Member

Mine’s a medium, and is configured for bikepacking with Geoff bars, etc. I love it. I found it came up quite short compared with my gravel bike, but a layback post works well. I’m 5’8″…
    Have gradually upgraded to lighter wheels, a 10-52 Eagle cassette and 32t AB oval chainring. Bags of room for big tyres upfront (not sure if full 3″, I’m happy with 2.6), I run 2.4/2.5 on the back….

Mike
    Free Member

Nice!! Looks great…getting closer to hitting the button on one

oddkiwi
    Free Member

Hi Mike, Did you every find out if the small frame still have the humped / curved top tube at the headset ? Thanks

dovebiker

Judging by the photos I’d say the small Silk Road will almost certainly have the humped top tube as it is designed for a suspension-corrected fork and the smaller frame will have an even steeper top-tube angle.

@lberto
    Free Member

here is mine
    titus silk road

@lberto
    Free Member

mattmee

I have one and there is a problem with the frame alignment. Customer service at Planet X is appalling. It rides really well and looks great but there is a reason that their frames are so cheap. Buy cheap, buy twice.

scotroutes

there is a problem with the frame alignment. Customer service at Planet X is appalling.

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

damascus
    Free Member

@mattmee

How old is the frame?

I remember on a previous thread discussing the Titus brand and how it has a lifetime warranty compared to a px 3 year warranty for their ti frames.

All Planet X, On One Viner and Holdsworth bikes carry a 3 year warranty as standard for the original owner. Titus titanium bike frames from 2021 onwards carry a lifetime warranty as standard for the original owner. All other branded goods carry the full manufacturer’s warranty, which may vary in duration but will be a minimum of 1 year. Planet X cover frames for paint defects up to 1 year after purchase.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/pages/warranty

And I think it was @scotroutes that said something like “not all lifetime warranties are equal”

The alpkit warranty on ti frames is 10 years and the general consensus was to buy alpkit for the very reason your having now.

Px are great until things go wrong. As above, no matter the promises, it’s always the same.

Keep the thread updated on your customer journey. Good luck.

chestrockwell

Why would they design the top tube like that?

mattmee

I’ve already sent the frame back to them and they posted it straight back saying it was fine. I would need to get an independent report to take it further with no guarantee of success.
    The frame looks fantastic but there are some weird bits. The BB is offset, the cable routing to the rear derailleur is on top of the chain stay, rear brake routing set up for the right hand side of the handlebars and, as mentioned, weird top tube bend at the head tube.
    it’s a real shame as the fit and ride suit me perfectly for bike packing.

damascus
    Free Member

The frame and forks were about £500 at one point. I was so tempted but as above, just a few too many quirks to get over.

It almost felt like they knew they’d made a mistake with something and they were flogging them off cheap. I think because it was so cheap, it put me off. Any other company and I would have bought it straight away.

I’m not a px hater, I love my scandal, best bike I’ve ever owned. But they have a reputation of being hit or miss with bikes. I think this one is just a miss.

damascus
    Free Member

I would need to get an independent report to take it further with no guarantee of success.

Dm hambini and ask him if he wants to review it for his YouTube channel?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

@mattmee

whats actually out of alignment with the frame

I have a medium, it rides well. The cable routing all seems fairly logical to me.

luv2ride
    Free Member

As per NorthCountryBoy, ive also got a medium Silk Road. Never had an issue with it, either with the cabling or wheel alignment…rides well. Just checked mine in the garage and cabling looks to be same as the pictures posted above

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.