Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Threatened By A Driving Moron – What Next?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

I usually read the threads on STW about encounters with our 4 wheeled brethren with some disbelief wondering why people behave the way they do behind the wheel of a car and it’s finally happened to me. What a bugger.

I was riding home and a car followed me. I have to go along a series of narrow streets for about 250m with room for only one lane of traffic to get home. A garbage truck has blocked the entrance to my street so I slow down and stop to check if I can squeeze past about 50m from it. The car driver gives me what I think is called an “unfriendly nudge” with his vehicle. I turn around and ask him what the hell he thinks he’s doing. Cue abuse telling me to get out of the way. I return it, asking if he cannot see the truck up ahead. It’s all a blur at this point. A lot of swearing and shouting for about 30 seconds or so. Another cyclist turns up and stops. Driver gets out with a joint in his mouth and asks the cyclist what he’s looking at. Credit to the other cyclist, he’s got brass balls! He says “I want to see what’s going on really”.

I tell the driver to get back into his car and calm the **** down as I walk away with my bike. Other cyclist pulls away too, as the garbage truck has backed up out of the way. The driver pulls up to me in his car and swerves into me, trapping me between a parked car and him and carries on threatening me. I say “**** off you fat hunt” move out of the way, walk the bike onto my street and ride home as he speeds off.

I had the foresight to take his registration number and have reported it to the police. They’re coming round tomorrow to take a report. Wish I’d had the foresight to take contact details down from the cyclist who stood with me. Pretty sure the guy would have physically assaulted me if he wasn’t there so my thanks to him. He probably put the guy off just by being there.

Does anyone know what I can expect to be the outcome of this? The thought that this guy could be driving around smoking weed and using his vehicle to intimidate another person just because he was held up for a few seconds makes me livid. Bit shaken up at the moment, but I’m not physically hurt so all is well.

The cyclist who stood with me was an absolute legend though. He said “what a ****” as the driver sped off. Makes me feel like I hadn’t just imagined the whole thing. Good to know cyclists like him are out there. Wish I’d gotten a chance to say thanks to him.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just wanted to get it off my chest and find out what I can expect from the police.

peteimpreza

No need to apologise, it’s good to vent after an incident like that.

Happy you are OK and hopefully the coppers will do something.

If that’s you usual route home you might see the other cyclist again.

Stay safe.

Moda
    Free Member

Am i missing something here but the driver was stoned and the police are not doing anything until tomorrow… Hmmm

garage-dweller

What moda said. It is also an assault with a vehicle. They should be right on this.

Further thought if there was contact did he provide insurance details.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Never know, they may be paying him a visit shortly. They’re only coming round to see me tomorrow.

EDIT: No way to ask that guy for anything mate. He was going batpoop insane. I just wanted to get out of there before he made an “executive decision” with his car.

project
    Free Member

where aboiuts and whats the reg number.

so we can avoid him.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

P44 JBG, dark blue Mercedes E200 round Acton in West London. Driven by a fat ginger man about 5′ 10″ to 6′.

neilnevill
    Free Member

glad you are safe. sounds like it could have been very nasty.

IanW
    Free Member

Seven billion people in this world maybe 10% are twunts.

That’s 700 million idiots out there, most of whom want to drive a car.

You are going to bump into a few of them now and again.

Pigface
    Free Member

How can you smoke weed and be aggressive? Glad you are ok.

jonba
    Free Member

It doesn’t help but learn to ride away. I have learnt that you’ll never reason with these idiots and their moment of madness is truly dangerous when they are behind the wheel.

Just get out of their way and hope the accident they cause only involves them.

TiRed

Easy to say ride away, not so easy when his car is blocking the country lane, doors opening you are astride the bike in road cleats about to be thumped. In my case, the police took it very seriously but the car was not registered. To anybody! So anpr was used to try and locate the driver. No avail.

Hope the op has better luck. But the police will view this as a serious incident.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

You’re right. No point trying to argue with someone incapable of reason. I wasn’t the happiest of people when I got bumped off my bike by the moron. However, I will be swiftly riding away from these fools in the future. Feeling a bit more settled now. Thanks guys.

I’m a bit worried the ballbag may live around here and I may run into him again. We’ll see what comes though. I’m not going to let some idiot bully stop me riding my bike.

@TIRed what happened to you? Fully understand what you mean. You don’t feel best equipped to fight or flee in road cleats! Maybe I’d have felt more of a hard man in my SPDs.

brooess
    Free Member

It’s getting beyond a joke this hating people because they’re on a bike, thing.
    Am interested to see the result of Emma Way and last Friday’s Critical Mass…
    Glad you’re ok OP

takisawa2

Driven by a fat ginger man

As a rotund ginger man myself may I wish you well.
    Glad you ok.

BruceWee

That’s why I make sure I wear footwear that doesn’t result in me scrambleing for grip as soon as I get off the bike.

Luckily for me last time I got into a ‘heated confrontation’ with a **** while I was wearing cleats I was standing on grass so the inevitable throw a punch, slip, and get your arse kicked didn’t happen.

samuri
    Free Member

Totally did the right thing in reporting it. This is assault with a deadly weapon. Sadly nothing will happen. The moment you say you were on a bike the police will lose interest and stare at the ceiling. However, go through the motions, it’s important to get it registered.

In the year 2156 cyclists will be recognised as valid road users in the Uk and will be awarded the same rights as a blind dog. People who kill a cyclist will be told very sternly that they musn’t do it again.

You can live on safe in the knowledge that you made this escalation happen. The UK’s cyclists will thank you.

Jamie
    Free Member

As a rotund ginger man myself may I wish you well.
    Glad you ok.

[columbo]

Hmmm. Where were you earlier?

[/columbo]

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Pointers so far:

– Don’t argue with a driver who’s just given you a firm nudge with his death machine because he’s not the type who’ll be solving Fermat’s last theorem.
    – Not all gingers are nasty (sorry takisawa2)!
    – Wear SPDs for fighting or running away.
    – I am the equivalent of pond scum on the UK’s roads.

What will the coppers do when they come round? Should I offer them tea and biscuits? Should I prepare a statement? Or am I better off bottling my wee? I will ask them to take their shoes off at the entrance just in case.

jonba
    Free Member

My comments above are based on experience. I had a run of bad timing which resulted in me having the police round twice in two weeks. They were very helpful and took it seriously. They were busy the first time so didn’t stay for long and didn’t want tea. The second time they left in a hurry after they found the person and got a call.

First incident went nowhere really as there was only my word against his. Hopefully it made him think when the police visited. The second one, they did not press charges but the woman was referred to referred for psychiatric help and had her licence taken away for a period while she was treated.

TiRed

Guy driving a silver peugeot estate overtook, cut me up after just missing an oncoming car. Stopped, blocked the road with an emergency stop and door wide open. I had nowhere to go (except into the back of the car) so I had to stop.
    He came running up to me screaming and hit me in the face. It was more of a girl’s punch, but I was shocked more than hurt. He drove off and only then did I get the phone out and texted the numberplate to a friend, dialled 999 and reported everything to the police. Car was unregistered from a scrap dealers. Police tried to find it, and had a few close calls on anpr but eventually dropped it. But if I see it parked anywhere again…

Always puncture the tyre sidewalls with the multitool as these can’t be repaired, or so I was told.

mjsmke

Even if the police can’t find him at least you know you are the better person.

I’ve had a few confrontations with cars and if i ever had the chance i’d grab their keys from the ignition and ride off.

scaled
    Free Member

What time was the altercation?

Twitter’s great for finding cyclists 😉

cxthompson
    Free Member

With regards to the op’s initial questions, at this stage it’s going to be one persons word against another and will ultimately go no-where unless the other chap admits to what he’s done (unlikely). With this in mind for this to go anywhere you need to find the other cyclist. Hopefully he’s a commuter and takes the same route at roughly the same time.. Therefore wait where you saw the cyclist the same time tomorrow and see if he goes past. It sounds like a pain but will be worth it to get an extra witness!

ben
    Free Member

Glad to hear you’re ok curious.

Just a note to encourage people to report incidents like these. I had an incident with a very aggressive driver a couple of years ago. No witnesses but reported it anyway. The Police popped round for a chat with the owner of the vehicle and it turned out it was the son who was driving. I received a letter of apology from said son and was informed he would no longer have access to father’s car. One less dick on the road: Result!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Those cheap helmet cameras make seven more sense now.

globalti
    Free Member

If the Police go round and have a chat with the OP’s aggressor they will very soon form an opinion on him; he won’t be able to prevent himself gobbing off and will probably incriminate himself. Even if he doesn’t his record on the PNC will be marked and every time he’s seen by a car with ANPR he will receive their attention. There may have been other incidents already so this may get him banned.

monksie
    Free Member

Totally did the right thing in reporting it. This is assault with a deadly weapon. Sadly nothing will happen. The moment you say you were on a bike the police will lose interest and stare at the ceiling. However, go through the motions, it’s important to get it registered.

The guy who rammed me and my bike into the side of a bus in Portwood, Stockport got a 2 year ban, £750 fine and 80 hours community service.

Tiger6791

All very worrying

Nobody has asked why an American Garbage Truck was in Acton though?

Hope they get him 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Glad you are ok, in an altercation with a driver never turn your back on them. Hence why I never wave fingers/etc etc. Its just not worth the risk.

Get down to the station and report the driver.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Report it. They’ll at the very least least flag the number plate and look for their behaviour in future. That’s better than nothing at all

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Are they called rubbish trucks here? I’ve always called it garbage!

I was definitely in two minds as to whether I should make a break for it, or if I should wait till he left. Sticking around just seemed to make it worse because the guy wasn’t backing down.

I’ll report back once the police have been. I’ve got some miles to put in this evening, so may take the same route home to see if I chance upon the cyclist who stood with me. I’ll also get in touch with BC to see if there’s anything they can do for me.

@monksie did you think a driving ban was adequate punishment or deterrent?

I think the anger people behind the wheel feel is due to other problems, and not just due to being held up by a cyclist. Problems at home and the like. Doesn’t justify violence, but seems like cyclists are a soft target so they take it out on us. Did you gain any insight into why he thought it was ok to do what he did to you? Hope everything worked out ok for you mate.

chiefgrooveguru

Are they called rubbish trucks here? I’ve always called it garbage!

Bin lorry isn’t it?

monksie
    Free Member

He was advised by his solicitor to get his affairs in order just in case he was sent down. I believe he lost his job as well. It was a very slow speed ram. I was stationary. He was and then turned the steering wheel, drove forward and pushed me into the side of the bus.
    At the time, prison would have been adequate enough but a few weeks later when I’d calmed down, it seemed harsh. By the time it went to court I’d calmed down enough to feel that his punishment was severe. The driving ban was a bitter blow for him I believe.
    A normally completely calm and considered person by all accounts who lost the plot on this one occasion.

samuri
    Free Member

I wouldn’t feel too badly about it, he could have killed you, yes?
    I’m glad an appropriate sentence was applied in your case but statistically I’m correct, this sort of sentencing is very rare. The more incidents that get reported though, the less it can be ignored.

bails

But the police will view this as a serious incident.

Bwahahahahaha!

I was riding to work one day on a quiet suburban street when a car came up behind me. As it approached the driver beeped the horn. I looked over my shoulder (to make sure it wasn’t an emergency vehicle) and then just carried on riding. A few seconds later, as we’re approaching a humpback bridge he starts to overtake, very closely. Then he sees an oncoming car so moves left and side swipes me. I stick an arm out to keep myself upright which makes a clunk as he hits me.

He carries on, gets in front of me and then slams on the brakes. I go past, he accelerates after me so I hop onto the pavement to let him through. He stops, gets out, jumps at me, knocks me to the ground and gives me 7 or 8 punches to the face while I’m lying ont he ground, tangled up in the bike. All caught on head-cam with another 3 witnesses.

The police just made him write a letter saying “I’m sorry we bumped into each other” (that’s genuinely what he wrote) because “it wasn’t a serious assault” and “there was nothing wrong with the driving” (that’s genuinely what West Midlands Police said). The officer who dealt with it left a sheet on the desk when I gave my statement that said the bloke had a shotgun license!

Good luck to the OP, but expect the police to not care. You’re on a bike, you don’t count.

zilog6128

The police just made him write a letter saying “I’m sorry we bumped into each other” (that’s genuinely what he wrote) because “it wasn’t a serious assault”

If the police refused to do anything (about the assault) could you not take a civil action? That is one of the few times I would entertain no-win-no-fee lawyers! I would call 8 punches to the head extremely serious!

badllama
    Free Member

While I feel sorry for all of the situations here, some cyclist are complete dicks I had one decide to to pull across me the other day on the way to work (I drive on a Friday).

Busy Crossroads I’m going straight over he’s turning right from the other direction he’s frame standing in the middle of the junction decides he’s had enough of waiting and pulls across in front of me, que me slamming on the brakes in order to not to kill him then starts shouting abuse at me Fooking idiot I had right of way, him just wishing to die I guess 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

yeah, but he didn’t try and run you over with his bike or punch you in the face did he?

ransos
    Free Member

While I feel sorry for all of the situations here, some cyclist are complete dicks I had one decide to to pull across me the other day on the way to work (I drive on a Friday).

Being a dick is a world away from assault with a deadly weapon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Threatened By A Driving Moron – What Next?’ is closed to new replies.