Threatened By A Driving Moron – What Next?

Home Forum Bike Forum Threatened By A Driving Moron – What Next?

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 124 total)
  • Threatened By A Driving Moron – What Next?
  • Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I was told by a sergeant of a neighbouring force that if I’m run over by a driver on a mobile phone then “that’s just the risk you choose to take because cyclists aren’t always very visible”.

That’s just lovely isn’t it? šŸ‘æ

Wonder if he feels the same way about children hit by drivers while on mobiles?

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

It was a very slow speed ram. I was stationary. He was and then turned the steering wheel, drove forward and pushed me into the side of the bus.

Only takes a slip of the clutch or accelerator and you are serious injury. The intent was there.

The driving ban was a bitter blow for him I believe.
    A normally completely calm and considered person by all accounts who lost the plot on this one occasion.

Sorry but not having this. I’ve lost the plot on occasion, blown up with Malcolm Tucker-esque consequences but NEVER[/i] have I considered driving my car into another person. You’ve already said it was a “very slow speed ram”. This is not the action of someone who has lost the plot. This is the action of someone with serious underlying problems who knows exactly what he is doing. Typical character reference for a prick who as been caught out.

#edit – bails, your story really does beggar belief. I know that hindsight is a wonderful thing but you really should have pressed for further action. Let’s be careful out there.

IanW

I unfortunately have first hand experience of most of the possible outcomes and there’s very few winning scenarios for the cyclist.

Go to the law and win: it’ll take months, you will be put of at every opportunity and the punishment will be derisory if anything.
    Have a scrap and lose: ouch.
    Have a scrap and win: mental ouch. ( although a likely result as most aggressive car drivers are fat ba***ds).
    Get run over: big ouch.

Better off letting the little stuff at least go if you can and stay calm if conflict is unavoidable, it’s not personal, there just morons.

mjsmke

I know this would never happen but in an ironic kind of way it would be great if police could confiscate the keys to a car and make the driver cycle home after they are involved in a serious incident with another cyclist.

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

I had 2 encounters with cars last night;

– Car beeps at me as it overtakes into on-coming traffic on a narrow climb, followed by a hand gesture that I think he made up on the spot…

– On-coming car beeps at me as I’m looking behind, I assumed I had inadvertently strayed out too far. As I looked up a big smiley face leaned out of the window and shouted “GO BRADLEY WIGGINS!”.

So one aggressive, one funny… Balance is restored…

boxfish

Car keys down the nearest drain.
    Ride home.
    Make cup of tea.

stevehine

I’m not convinced anyone should be taking peoples car keys – but assuming the driving was bad / erratic enough to warrant such an action (I’m thinking intoxicated / drugs rather than just being a tool) then anyone any idea where you’d stand legally on ‘confiscating’ the keys until the police arrived ?

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

bails, your story really does beggar belief.

I’m not the only one let down by WMP, don’t know if it’s a local or national problem though. http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/road-eager-let-off-cos-of-police-rules-suffers-from-twitter-attacks/014718

project

Report it on Smidsy the ctc web site, for all to see.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

these threads depress me

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

In other news, bloke gets caught doing 165mph, with previous convictions for Driving While Disqualified and Driving Without Due Care And Attention, only receives a three year ban and Ā£515 fine.

He laughs and tell the court: “Iā€™m still going to drive ā€“ catch me if you can.”

Incidentally, this is a bloke who is “unemployed” yet somehow can afford an Audi R8 Spyder with Ā£20k worth of carbon fibre accessories.

Oh and funnily enough he has a previous conviction for intent to supply drugs…

brakes

“Our message to anyone who flouts the law to such a degree is that we will use all the technology we have available to bring you to justice.”

what about using some common sense to bring people to justice? can you also use all the technology to redefine what justice actually means?

Wouldn’t it be an idea for the national cycling groups to encourage other cyclists, who see an incident, to stand together – offer to be a witness, physically stand next to someone being threatened so the people involved can clearly see that their actions will be witnessed. If this is a problem for one of us then it’s a problem for us all, collective action folks (bloody heck, am starting to sound like Ernie & JY 8O)

mattyd

If at all possible, car keys in the nearest dog shit bin.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

To tie the speeding driver story back into the topic, just read the comments on the story on various news sites, there are people actively defending him:

“The police should be finding paedophiles and rapists, not worrying if a car that is built for speeds in excess of 200 mph are speeding at 5am on an empty motorway.”

Seems that some members of the public consider all driving offences as trivial these days.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

In other news, bloke gets caught doing 165mph, with previous convictions for Driving While Disqualified and Driving Without Due Care And Attention, only receives a three year ban and Ā£515 fine.

He laughs and tell the court: “Iā€™m still going to drive ā€“ catch me if you can.”If people drive whilst disqualified the police should confiscate their cars and auction them off for charity. Hit them where it actually hurts.

brakes

If people drive whilst disqualified the police should confiscate their cars and auction them off for charity THEN hit them where it actually hurts, in the knackers. Hard.

FTFY

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

confiscate their cars

Was his a lease car?

Junkyard

What comrade roger said šŸ˜‰

Welcome to the club wilderness

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

If people drive whilst disqualified the police should confiscate their cars and auction them off for charity.

Guess what the normal sentence is? They get 6 points on their (non)license and a discretionary disqualification!

(max sentence is a Ā£5k fine and 6 months in jail, but I’ve never heard of someone getting that)

Junkyard – lazarus
    What comrade roger said
    Welcome to the club wilderness

Great joy!

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

Graham
    How did he afford it – it was a hire car.
    I thought the ban was a little OTT, there was no incident – no harm was done. its was 5am on a motorway, if you watch the footage there is no one on the road.
    Here in sunny shropshire we have had police pulling similar stunts 156mph in a 70 and 93mph in a 30, just learning how the car handles!
    But i guess its how you view these things 40 in a 30 at 15.00hrs is a bigger crime than 165 in a 70 a 05:00hrs to some.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

How did he afford it – it was a hire car.

Okay – how much does it cost to hire a Spyder with after-market kit on it for a day?

Is it slightly more than unemployment benefit?

I thought the ban was a little OTT, there was no incident – no harm was done. its was 5am on a motorway, if you watch the footage there is no one on the road.

Shouldn’t the punishment fit the potential for harm rather than requiring people to be killed for justice to be served?

If I let off a machine gun in the street should I be able to walk away provided I don’t actually hit anyone?

There was no one on the the road. Good. BUT HOW DID HE KNOW THAT?

edlong

Shouldn’t the punishment fit the potential for harm rather than requiring people to be killed for justice to be served?

If I let off a machine gun in the street should I be able to walk away provided I don’t actually hit anyone?

Interesting one. I used to work with a fella who fell asleep while driving on the motorway. Drifted out of his lane, up an embankment and stopped. No one hurt, minor damage to car. He got a fine and (quite a few) points.

Gary Hart was unlucky enough when he did basically the same thing to drift off the carriageway where there was no barrier, down an embankment onto a main railway line, where an intercity train promptly ploughed into his vehicle. Ten people died in the train crash. Hart got five years for death by dangerous driving.

What’s interesting, though, looking at the culpability, is that my ex-colleague was exactly as reckless / dangerous and the only reason Hart caused ten deaths in a rail crash and the other guy had an unplanned parking moment was luck.

Is attempted murder less serious than murder? The only difference is competence (or luck).

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

Graham
    you seem to be very angry about this, it isn’t the biggest crime of the century. No really it isn’t. it wasn’t even the worst story to make yesterdays news.
    Try googling Daniel Pelka.

“Shouldn’t the punishment fit the potential for harm rather than requiring people to be killed for justice to be served?”

Thats a little crass isn’t it. “life in prison for potentailly killing someone.”
    “There was no one on the the road. Good. BUT HOW DID HE KNOW THAT?”
    by getting up at 4 in the morning and driving down the road.

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

Lots of mental stories around about bike accidents and vehicles. It’s not on really is it?

Anyway, the police have been to take down particulars. I told them my story and they say they will have a look to find out where the guy lives and if anything can be done. They’ve asked I ring them if I see the chap again. Quite likely because the area I rode through is a residential street.

I asked if they can let me know if he lives close by so I have the option to ride a different route for a while. They can’t let me know that unfortunately. They’ve also said the “friendly nudge” he gave me can be interpreted as criminal damage.

Wish I’d asked them what would happen if they did find out the car was registered to him. At least I have some experience of what to do now and it could have been a lot worse.

It’s sunny and I’m going out for a bit to clear my head. Cheers for all the support guys. I cannot tell you how good it feels to have someone to share this stuff with.

Wozza

GrahamS – Member

He laughs and tell the court: “Iā€™m still going to drive ā€“ catch me if you can.”

Incidentally, this is a bloke who is “unemployed” yet somehow can afford an Audi R8 Spyder with Ā£20k worth of carbon fibre accessories.

Oh and funnily enough he has a previous conviction for intent to supply drugs…

You’re missing the real crime in that video… bloody middle lane drivers. šŸ˜‰

Back to the OP, I always wonder what i’d do in that situation, I reckon you handled it well. I do hope the police come down on him hard.

Toasty

How common these incidents seem to be, and the absolute lack of a resolution in any case mentioned really annoys me.

If the police are paid to follow up the case, investigate, file the paperwork, yet can’t actually afford to do anything about it, I don’t know why they bother at all.

I had an incident the other morning, bloke in his work van decides I’m going too slowly off the lights and decides to drive too close, gunning the engine and beeping away like a looney. If he had come off the clutch I’d have had a van ram me from behind.

I was going to let it go but then decided to stop and take a photo so I could call his boss and have a pop. He stops, gets out and is now screaming blue bloody murder and looking like he actually wants a fight, what do you do? What I did was ask him if he really planned to take a swing at me on High Street Ken in front of several witnesses, turned out he did not however I reckon if it had been a more quiet location I’d have been in a proper fight. As it stands there is absolutely nothing to be done about this bloke, bullying cyclists isn’t a crime.

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

jools, call his employer. they might do nothing….. they might tell you where to get off. Or he might be a arse who is on his last warning and they are dying to get rid of.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

you seem to be very angry about this, it isn’t the biggest crime of the century.

Do I?

Mainly I just think it is another sad example of the crap entirely ineffectual punishments that are handed out to the few drivers that actually make it as far as court.

That background is a big part of the reason why drivers treat all motoring offences as trivial and think it is perfectly okay to bully other roads users and drive their vehicles into them to make a point (as the OP discovered).

> “There was no one on the the road. Good. BUT HOW DID HE KNOW THAT?”
    by getting up at 4 in the morning and driving down the road.

The video is only 55 seconds long and ends with him passing what looks like a lorry cab. IME motorways are rarely completely empty, even at 5am.

How well do you think he’d have reacted to say stationary traffic ahead of him, or debris/wildlife on the road, or road works?

They’d all come up pretty quick at that speed!

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

“There was no one on the the road.” thats your quote Graham not mine.

as for the what if’s we’ll never know.

But its still not the end of the world.

Another time another place – a friend of mine past a police car at 183mph on a spanish motorway. so he stopped anyway and waited for them. they rushed him 65 euro’s for not having his head light on! (motorbike -day light) never mentioned the speed.
    i don’t really see any difference.

the down side of all of this is that our audi man will drive whilst banned and be uninsured.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

“There was no one on the the road.” thats your quote Graham not mine.

Erm no it was yours from where you said “if you watch the footage there is no one on the road.” I was just quoting it back to you.

But its still not the end of the world.

Well of course it’s not. I’m not saying the bloke should have been hung, drawn and quartered.

Just perhaps that he should face a penalty that he doesn’t openly laugh about in court.

the down side of all of this is that our audi man will drive whilst banned and be uninsured.

Yep – as he has done before. So don’t you think that second time around he should face something a little bit harsher?

Toasty

This threads turned into inception, can someone draw me a graph or something, I’m lost.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

I drive lots of miles.

There is never “no one on the road”. Ever.

bigyinn

the down side of all of this is that our audi man will drive AGAIN whilst banned and be uninsured.

FTFY
    Whilst it is a victimless crime on this occasion, its still a crime. If everyone takes a lesser view of such behaviour, then where does it end? If a crime committed doesn’t affect me, is it still a crime? Of course it is! A serious crime should not devalue a lesser crime.

Coyote – Member

I drive lots of miles.

There is never “no one on the road”. Ever.

I drive lots of miles.

It’s probably me, I’ll wave next time.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

Be sure you do. šŸ™‚

IanW

Not sure why we should have cars or bikes that can do over 70 mph,isn’t that the legal limit?

Does appear breaking motoring law is ok for most of us. I have never understood why drink driving is bad, but speeding, talking on a phone, texting etc is ok.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I want an update of PeterPoddy’s incident!

Premier Icon scaled
    Subscriber

I might have some info on the OPs crash – Someone put this up on the Critical Mass FB board and they might have found your witness šŸ™‚

nealglover

IME motorways are rarely completely empty, even at 5am.

I drive a lot and drive through the night most nights at the moment.

The roads are comparatively busy at 5am. Between 2am and 3am is the quietest time by far.

Round out way at least

Premier Icon scaled
    Subscriber

Gah – seems they just checked the plates for you

P44JBG
    Manufacturer:
    MERCEDES-BENZ
    Model:
    E CLASS SALOON E200 Classic 4dr Auto
    Model Year:
    Colour:
    Blue
    Transmission:
    Automatic
    Engine Size:
    2000cc
    First Registered:
    19/08/1996

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Graham, you seem to be very angry about this, it isn’t the biggest crime of the century. No really it isn’t. it wasn’t even the worst story to make yesterdays news. Try googling Daniel Pelka.

Stories like Pelka make the news because they’re so rare and because they’re horrific so they satisfy the media’s insatiable demand for more gore & horror and can be accompanied by much wailing, gnashing of teeth and blaming the Government.

Stories like the OP don’t make the news because they’re so depressingly common. The perception is just that it’s “one of those things” and the pesky cyclist probably wasn’t wearing a helmet or high vis and he doesn’t pay road tax anyway. Not a news story. That’s why the punishment (if any) actually exacerbates the problem. Police go round, have a word, tell him not to do it again, there’s a good chap. šŸ™

Same with that speeding driver, same with every road death. If the number of people killed on the roads every year happened on trains or planes there’d be outcry. We desperately need a change of perception and part of that is law enforcement where it IS treated seriously, where it sends a clear message that there will be punishment.

Commuting incidents are much worse to deal with cos chances are you’re going to see the driver again – riding the same route at the same time every day makes you even more of a visible target for revenge. Hope it all works out OP.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Not sure why we should have cars or bikes that can do over 70 mph,isn’t that the legal limit?

Just so long as when UK limits cars to 70 (probably the lowest maximum speed limit in Europe?), they allow it to disable when you get off the ferry in Calais (or set itself accordingly to the country your in).

I generally stick to 140km/h and knowing I still have something more under the right foot if need be.

70 in Germany, means being stuck in the trucks and caravans convoy in the “slow” lane.

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Threatened By A Driving Moron – What Next?’ is closed to new replies.