• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • tjagain

You’ve seriously, genuinely never been upset when someone famous passes, a favourite actor or musician maybe?

Nope. I have no emotional connection there

How do you react when someone in ‘real life’ tells you that they’ve lost someone that you’ve never met? There’s been a few threads on STW over the years, I won’t mention names but we all know who they are. Do you offer condolences do do you leap onto them to post “well, I didn’t know her so I don’t care”?

Totally different situation as it involves people i have some connection with. Its also been people dying before thier time in tragic cicumstancrs. If nothing else one feels sad because a friend is sad

Lots of deleted posts this morning

batfink
    Free Member

I’m not a royalist at all – quite a long way from it actually, but I find myself very sad having woken up to the news this morning, and reflected on it throughout the day.

I think it’s the fact that she has been a constant presence throughout my life…. longer than any of my grandparents were, or indeed my father. Obviously I’m not as upset as I was when they passed, but it’s the same kind of feeling on a smaller scale: that someone who was always there (and who felt like they were always going to be), suddenly gone.

reeksy

I’m with tj here.

Despite the fact she represented a whole load of things I detest, she came across OK through the media. I suspect a lot of that is to do with people projecting particular values on to her. She was never a part of my life other than on coins, stamps, etc, so i’ve nothing to miss.

funkmasterp

Queen Elizabeth was our last link to a lost age of magic and glory, radiating our world with light.

Wasn’t that Dumbledore?

anagallis_arvensis

I’m with tj here.

Despite the fact she represented a whole load of things I detest, she came across OK through the media. I suspect a lot of that is to do with people projecting particular values on to her. She was never a part of my life other than on coins, stamps, etc, so i’ve nothing to miss.

Me too, I have sympathy for her family but it doesn’t go as far as me being upset or sad.

Lots of deleted posts this morning

Of course there is. STW royalty looked after once again. The irony.

funkmasterp

I feel sorry for her kids, grandkids and great grandkids. Mainly because of the media and how much scrutiny they’ll get when just trying to grieve. I remember feeling a bit angry when Harry and William were being filmed in their mothers funeral procession with commentary like it was a sporting event.

I actually like how we get several, varied opinions in threads on STW. If this thread was just for mourning it would come across a bit like a Facebook group or DM comments. There are far worse corners of the Internet than this. Asking or telling people not to comment or open a thread isn’t a good path to go down. Only my opinion of course.

anagallis_arvensis

I remember feeling a bit angry when Harry and William were being filmed in their mothers funeral procession with commentary like it was a sporting event.

Very true, but the other side of the coin is that all the pomp and pageantry is their marketing. Did you watch the funeral, if so you are part of that problem.

funkmasterp

Shared house at the time. Somebody else was watching it and I had been partaking of Jazz woodbines so couldn’t be arsed moving. So not actively watching it. If it could make a stoned twenty year old feel angry it was definitely a bit wrong.

theotherjonv

It was, but at a human level. The fact the funeral was televised, and the pageantry that surrounds royal weddings and funerals in general – that’s just part of living in a nation where the monarchy has a large presence. Which we do, like it or not.

dirkpitt74

My youngest just asked if she could still spend her pocket money as it has a picture of the Queen on it…..

theotherjonv

My daughter sort of asked the same (half believed me when I said it was no longer legal tender)

She’s 18 and off to Uni in 2 weeks. Thick as a plank in some endearing ways.

poah
    Free Member

Those belong to the nation

Yeah but not ours. Stolen from the colonies.

duncancallum

And again another thread dissolves into incessant bickering.

It’s tedious. Folk on here would argue that black is white.

As @cougar said if your not interested why bother to come read 11 pages and then post a reply.

Regardless of if your bothered or not it’s a bloody big bit of history that’s just occurred.

Your best off back on either the liz or kier threads

BoardinBob

if your not interested why bother to come read 11 pages and then post a reply.

Because we need constant reminders of how edgy they are

poah
    Free Member

Do you generally feel little if any emotions? I can get emotional just watching the news

I mourned and cried when my mum died and my dogs. I still cry every so often when I think of my mum. I have no connection to the queen, the royal family or anyone else I don’t actually know. It is almost sycophantic the way people act for people they don’t know just because they are well known. It’s very weird.

funkmasterp

Or varied opinions as opposed to an echo chamber. One of the reasons I frequent this place.

MoreCashThanDash

I appreciate the range of opinions on all subjects on here. How those opinions are expressed can be a little annoying at times, but it makes me think about my own opinion and look for facts probably more than I would.

There’s a certain delicious irony in the intolerance of other people’s intolerance at times.

Kryton57

I must admit after last seeing this thread at 11pm I expected to wake up to it being closed. It’s great to have differing opinions. I have found some of the stoic challenges from several people to emotion, and hypocritical posting confusing to the point that I can’t make out whether people really are that distasteful or are deliberately spoiling for an argument.

Whatever happened to not playing the man?

Anyway, looks like details are coming together and we are now at maybe 12 days of mourning with a National Day of Mourning on Monday 19th.

anagallis_arvensis

And again another thread dissolves into incessant bickering.

Differing opinions, people are allowed to have them and discuss them, it looks to me (having admittedly not read all the thread) that people are trying quite hard to be respectful of these opinions

ransos
    Free Member

It is almost sycophantic the way people act for people they don’t know just because they are well known. It’s very weird.

See, I think it’s weird to have no kind of emotional response whatsoever to the death of someone you respected or admired. It’s almost sociopathic.

At the other extreme, I still find the mass incontinence over the death of Diana to be utterly baffling.

Dickyboy

“what happens next after the queen’s death” is most read article on BBC website, make of that what you will..

johnx2
    Free Member

See, I think it’s weird to have no kind of emotional response whatsoever to the death of someone you respected or admired.

…and even Joe Cocker’s going to go one sad day.

grahamt1980

“what happens next after the queen’s death” is most read article on BBC website, make of that what you will..

People are just trying to work out when we get a day off, and also when the tv will go back to normal

Drac

You’ve seriously, genuinely never been upset when someone famous passes, a favourite actor or musician maybe?

Got to say I’m the same. While I’ve thought, that’s rather sad, that is about it.

the-muffin-man

It is almost sycophantic the way people act for people they don’t know just because they are well known. It’s very weird.

I doubt anyone here is sat in a black veil, surrounded by candles, curtains drawn and wailing at a portrait of the Queen. They’ve just expressed their sadness that a figure they’ve known all their lives has passed. There’s a big difference.

Me – I was sad last night. Today I’m off for a long weekend on the Skegvegas coast eating, drinking and having a laugh with friends.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I am pretty indifferent to the news.

A very privileged person lived to 96 and passed away in a luxurious home surrounded by her family and the best medical care available. Not a bad way to go.

I am a republican and hope that this event may allow us to reassess the monarchy’s role in the UK. But it won’t. We will carry on with this medieval, religious cult. A cult which recently baled out one of it’s key members with a £12million pay out to prevent charges of sexual assault and trafficking.

What is quite funny, is the amount of haters for Charles and Camilla, even among the Daily Heil readers. They do not get that he is now their King and Camilla is Queen Consort. Thems the rules!

What I find truly bizarre, is the complete shutdown of radio and TV, as they all try to out mourn each other.

reeksy

Today I’m off for a long weekend on the Skegvegas coast eating, drinking and having a laugh with friends.

Thoughts and prayers.
    … unless you go to Wainfleet for good beer.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ll set out my position. I neither admired nor cared for the Queen. She held little to no relevance to me and if I’m honest she had a good innings. Of course I recognise that she was a human being and her family will obviously be upset, I hope her passing was painless and dignified as I would for anyone. I’m not a monster, I won’t be celebrating her death but I won’t be giving it much thought either.

Right now I’m still coming to terms with the loss of someone who was in my 38 years of life in hell of a lot more of a meaningful way last year. I’m not really sure if this would make a difference or not but as its consuming most of my energy that’s what I’m focusing on. I dare say others have similar priorities.

On the Scottish question of “feeling closer to the monarch”, whit? Because she died on her estate up in rural Aberdeenshire? No. I seriously doubt it. For most of us Aberdeen is as remote as Windsor or Buckingham Palace, or possibly more so as there is half a chance of visiting London. The only people who will care are the usual people who do either because they want to grieve or because they want a day off work to get pissed with the bunting out.

Because we need constant reminders of how edgy they are

Says the man that brought TJs dead partner into the argument. I’d watch where you’re chucking those stones.

funkmasterp

Thanks Squirrel, sums up my feelings much better than I could.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You’re not interested in something, fine. Intentionally opening a thread that you’re not interested in, reading it, then taking time to compose a post telling everyone else how disinterested you are… 🤷‍♂️ that’s just plain weird.

You’ve missed the point. He’s not interested in whether the Queen is dead, but he IS very interested in why other people are interested in whether the queen is dead. Thus he posts on the thread to discuss/comment on it.

IHN

Me too, I have sympathy for her family but it doesn’t go as far as me being upset or sad.

This. Historically significant event? Sure. Sad event for the family? Absolutely. Effect on me? None, I never knew the lady. I don’t get the public outpourings of grief and sadness – if that’s how people feel, then fine, I really just don’t understand why. I do wonder if it’s going get to Diana-esque levels.

And I’ve just asked MrsIHN if this makes me unfeeling or lacking empathy and she said “Christ no, you cry watching Bake Off”…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Bloody hell. I was just sat here thinking “I wonder when Simon will be along to make a post that I 100% agree with !”

the-muffin-man

Just remembered I’ve put a simple ‘Sorry, Closed Today’ sign on my door at the office. Everyone will think I’m in mourning! 🤣🤣

IHN

Bloody hell. I was just sat here thinking “I wonder when Simon will be along to make a post that I 100% agree with !”

You cry at Bake Off too? *hugs*

jekkyl

When’s the funeral? We’re gonna get the day off. Gawd bless Mrs Maj, everyone likes a day off work and the hills will be quiet. Wonder if the schools will be closed. That’ll scupper my plans for a hike.

neilnevill
    Free Member

It’s odd, when I heard the news I had a lump in my throat for 30 seconds yet I’ve never known her. I guess perhaps it’s more an undeniable metric of the passage of time and change stirring some emotion than a particular personal loss. She’s always been the Queen. Always. I’m almost 50 and now…. She’s gone. Condolences to get family and close friends.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Jekyll, BBC saying funeral probably 10-11 days time, BH, schools closed.

Drac

We’re gonna get the day off

I won’t.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I’m a Royalist. I had the privilege to meet several members of the Royal Family whilst serving in the forces. I’m also proud to be a member of the emergency services so my whole working life has had connections to the Queen.
    She will be greatly missed, the royal family brings in tourism, they are linked to charities and they give the UK something to have pride in, unlike the muppets in government.
    The Royal family is just that, a family. Who doesn’t have the odd ball in theirs? The queen did her duty until the very end. And that was what it was to her, a Duty. To the UK. To all of us. Which is more than any political leader could ever claim.
    RIP Ma’am. Your duty is done.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.