• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • ElShalimo

Can we crowdfund Nicholas Witchell’s exorcism to drive out his inner necromancer?

He’s been waiting for this day for millennia

ransos
    Free Member

Ten pages in and nobody has blamed Brexit.

The Queen died shortly after meeting Liz Truss, who wouldn’t have been PM without Brexit.

Makes you think.

theotherjonv

Why would restaurants be closed?

Because it’s the Queen’s funeral. Which will be a national day of mourning. Which although not formally a bank holiday, businesses, shops, etc., may choose to close and other events will be cancelled.

Queen dead: Will schools, workplaces and shops close?

sweepy
    Free Member

If people want to mourn that’s fine, i’ll leave them to it, but why does it have to be forced on the rest of us. I doubt there’s many now that aren’t aware and they all know where BBC1 is, why does it have to be on all the others as well? And the one that isn’t showing it is off the air.

Cougar

Do you generally feel little if any emotions? I can get emotional just watching the news.

and

Do people mourn other 96 year olds they have never met or spent any time with?

I get emotional watching Repair Shop for chrissakes. I cry like a five-year old with a skinned knee.

The whole thing about “someone you didn’t know” – celebrities etc – is kinda flawed. They didn’t know you, sure, but absolutely no-one was watching the news today or is reading this thread and going “thequeen who?” We may not know much of her private life but the Queen probably more than anyone else in the country has had her public life so very well documented.

You’ve seriously, genuinely never been upset when someone famous passes, a favourite actor or musician maybe? I was both shocked and gutted when Taylor Hawkins died recently; sure I wasn’t “in mourning” because, well, I didn’t know him, but he was amazing to watch and to listen to, now he’s gone and that makes me a little sad.

How do you react when someone in ‘real life’ tells you that they’ve lost someone that you’ve never met? There’s been a few threads on STW over the years, I won’t mention names but we all know who they are. Do you offer condolences do do you leap onto them to post “well, I didn’t know her so I don’t care”?

Plenty of people don’t like the monarchy, and that’s both wholly understandable and absolutely fine. But having a whine about it whilst her corpse is still warm is pretty ****ing crass. However privileged they may be, a family including young children has just lost their mother / grandmother / great-grandmother. Give it a couple of weeks at least.

Anyway. It’s good that people who don’t care have taken the time to tell us that they don’t care.

and

Surely you would be less irritated if you didn’t click on threads like this one?

Well said. This I don’t get, and it’s a semi-regular occurrence both on STW and the wider Internet. You’re not interested in something, fine. Intentionally opening a thread that you’re not interested in, reading it, then taking time to compose a post telling everyone else how disinterested you are… 🤷‍♂️ that’s just plain weird.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@sweepy Are you not old enough to remember Diana? Be glad you have YouTube

tpbiker
    Free Member

This thread has been started in respect of a woman that, whether you liked the monarchy or not, has served her country, was a mother, grand mother, and great grandmother.

Yet the body is barely cold and we have the usual suspects trying to hijack the thread. If you didn’t like her or don’t care she’s died don’t post on the thread, let alone post repeatedly. The clue is in the thread title

I find it deeply unpleasant tbh. Maybe just for once if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all and let those that do care show their respects

Edit, cougar I hadn’t read your post before I posted mine!

jambourgie
    Free Member

How do you react when someone in ‘real life’ tells you that they’ve lost someone that you’ve never met?

He reads aloud from his book of Jacob Rees-Mogg quotes.

theotherjonv

If people want to mourn that’s fine, i’ll leave them to it, but why does it have to be forced on the rest of us. I doubt there’s many now that aren’t aware and they all know where BBC1 is, why does it have to be on all the others as well? And the one that isn’t showing it is off the air.

Kind of agree, but like it or not we live in a monarchy, and the longest reigning monarch that is a fundamental part of British (and commonwealth) culture has just died, and ‘The Nation’ is paying its respects.

It’ll be mainly back to normal in a day or two, a few sporting events have been cancelled tomorrow, maybe at the weekend too. No-one is being forced into 10 days of wearing black and sobbing.

funkmasterp

Standard internet behaviour. I think driven by curiosity as to what people are thinking or typing. I open lots of threads on here purely out of boredom. The Queen dying is an odd one though. I feel some empathy for her family, but the rest of the media bollocks is a bit creepy. People dying at 90 odd isn’t sad. It’s quite frankly pretty awesome. Good innings etc.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

The Queen died shortly after meeting Liz Truss, who wouldn’t have been PM without Brexit.

Makes you think.

OMG, conspiraloon!

scotroutes

If you didn’t like her or don’t care she’s died don’t post on the thread, let alone post repeatedly. The clue is in the thread title

Quite right. Folk who want to criticise her life, her lifestyle, her sponging off the state and the obsequence on display should start their own thread, where they can share their thoughts without being interrupted by the forelock-tuggers.

Cougar

Kind of agree, but like it or not we live in a monarchy, and the longest reigning monarch that is a fundamental part of British (and commonwealth) culture has just died, and ‘The Nation’ is paying its respects.

And what do you expect, two minutes in the “and finally” wrap-up?

No-one’s forcing anyone to do anything. Turn the TV off, stop reading threads on STW about it, problem solved, next question. The biggest impact to most people not directly impacted will be an extraordinary bank holiday, which isn’t great for some as mentioned previously but will be relished by the majority.

Cougar

Folk who want to criticise her life, her lifestyle, her sponging off the state and the obsequence on display should start their own thread

Or just wait a couple of weeks.

Radical idea I know, basic human decency.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

The clue is in the thread title

Thoughts with the Queen and her family

One of my thoughts is if the remaining monarchy had to sell off the crown jewels to pay their (far from insubstantial) energy bills, who would be the highest bidder and why?

sweepy
    Free Member

You could have the full ten days flat out, just dont make the rest of us.

squirrelking
    Free Member

it’s the Queen’s funeral. Which will be a national day of mourning. Which although not formally a bank holiday, businesses, shops, etc., may choose to close and other events will be cancelled.

Better not, its a pals wedding.

Cougar

Make the rest of you… what? Watch Netflix?

seosamh77
    Free Member

sweepy
    Free Member

In fairness, you are jumping into a mourning thread imposing opinions on people that don’t really want to hear them, so kinda works both ways.

There is room for more than one thread.

I’ve zero affinity for the Queen or the Royals, so I’m not coming at it from that perspective, fyi.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Not a fan of the royals either but how about a moment’s thought for the passing of a second world war veteran? A 96 year old public servant who was still working two days before she died?

Show a bit of class and respect and if you can’t find any then don’t post comments trying to be edgy.

sweepy
    Free Member

Fair enough mate, i’ll take myself off to listen to Trevor Nelson like I planned- except I cant can I.
    Your right tho, this isn’t the place for me, sorry.

copa
    Free Member

Can’t we just have 10 days of wall-to-wall, unquestioning deferential yabbering about the death of an elderly aristocrat? Is that really too much to ask? Goodness me.

Now is not the time. And it never is.

ransos
    Free Member

Can’t we just have 10 days of wall-to-wall, unquestioning deferential yabbering about the death of an elderly aristocrat?

I don’t think it’s compulsory.

ElShalimo

second world war veteran?

Rubbish

theotherjonv

Can’t we just have 10 days of wall-to-wall, unquestioning deferential yabbering about the death of an elderly aristocrat? Is that really too much to ask? Goodness me.

But we aren’t. Things will be ‘normalish’ tomorrow, people will be at work or school, TV will be back on. Some large events may be cancelled briefly out of respect. There will be a suitable period of mourning and events such as books of condolence and lying in state for those that want to observe such things, but it won’t be ‘forced’ on anyone unless you’re so vehemently anti monarchy that a something like a shopkeeper putting a flag or a picture of the Queen in their window really offends you. I’m sad if you feel like that but it’s your choice to make.

There will be a larger observance on the day of the funeral, which will result in some shops, businesses, etc. closing or working restricted hours.

After 70 years of service, she’s been dead 6 hours, yet some make it sound like they’ve been forced to watch tributes for days on end. I’m laughing at a rerun of QI, myself.

Cougar

No one takes any notice of this small irtelevant country other than to laugh or pity us

I just got a message of condolence from a Canadian friend.

… for getting lumped with Charles as King.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Quite right. Folk who want to criticise her life, her lifestyle, her sponging off the state and the obsequence on display should start their own thread, where they can share their thoughts without being interrupted by the forelock-tuggers.

You make my point perfectly. Classy response….

jambourgie
    Free Member

After 70 years of service, she’s been dead 6 hours, yet some make it sound like they’ve been forced to watch tributes for days on end.

Hardly trivial. A man might not be able to go to a restaurant, and another man can’t listen to Trevor Nelson.

ElShalimo

and another man can’t listen to Trevor Nelson.

She didn’t die in vain

ransos
    Free Member

I just got a message of condolence from a Canadian friend.

… for getting lumped with Charles as King.

You could say the same to them!

inkster
    Free Member

TV seems to have gonna a bit North Korea this evening…

That should make some feel quite at home…

theotherjonv

Hardly trivial. A man might not be able to go to a restaurant

If that’s aimed at me.

We’re trying to arrange a birthday celebration / leaving do for my daughter going to Uni. We have limited options due to my family – some are key workers / shift workers, my mum has dialysis for renal failure 3 times a week, etc. We were aiming towards Sat 17th but if my understanding of the London Bridge protocol is right then the funeral will be on D+9, which is that day. And if so then shops and businesses including restaurants MAY be closed. Even if not, the older members of the family will probably feel funny about going out to celebrate on the day of the monarch’s funeral. You may consider that odd, I understand both sides.

Someone else then said their understanding was D+10, which is Sun 18th, and so likely the funeral would be the Monday. IDK on what basis they understand that.

I’m not complaining about it, just trying to find out what the situation is, so if there is a clash I can try to find a solution. If it’s the Saturday, so be it, I’m not a monarchist but I can respect that ‘the Nation’ has protocols for events like these.

dyna-ti

Quite the feisty lady, especially in the latter years, always smiling, though you got the distinct impressing if that smile became a frown, you were in serious trouble 😆

inkster
    Free Member

I’m waiting to see how the Daily Mail, Telegraph and associated flag shaggers instrumentalise this in order to sow furthwr division and root out more traitors.

Personally I am not anti monarchist because as much as I’d like to see a proper democracy established in this country, I fear that those who wrap themselves in the flag and obsequiously tug their furlocks would secretly be glad to see the monarchy abolished so that it could be replaced by a fascist dictatorship.

Careful what you wish for and all that…

TiRed

Smiling you say? My favourite image. Both now gone. The back story is worth reading too.

Windsor was heaving this evening. I told Henry, but he was more interested in a Labrador. Not really a Corgis man dog.

scuttler

…wonders how NKTV newslady will report Liz’s passing.

Or di pidgin https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/62844913

“Na her life and her work to be di best of Britain. Dis na di service wey she give.”

👍

Cougar

Canada (again) showing us what a Prime Minister should look like.

thols2

Trying a bit too hard me thinks.

CountZero

One of my thoughts is if the remaining monarchy had to sell off the crown jewels to pay their (far from insubstantial) energy bills, who would be the highest bidder and why?

They couldn’t. Those belong to the nation. The Royal family have sets of jewellery that are theirs, having been given as gifts from other members of the family, But the Crown Jewels belong to the nation.

Most aren’t that old, there are a few surviving bits, but the really old jewels were either lost or disposed of by Cromwell, I believe, and new regalia had to be created.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.