• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

How long do we think/guess that Charles will stay? He’s been in waiting all his life and probably wants to do a stint, but he’s 73 and probably many people think William is ready and a fresh monarchy with a generational change is needed. Then again plenty say no monarchy is needed.

jekkyl

So that’s Monday the 19th then.
    Come on, keep the schools open! I need this day to mourn and err spend the day in the countryside.

IHN

The funeral’s an interesting one actually – I’ve consciously swerved the coverage of all the major royal things since Diana’s funeral. But this one, I dunno, part of me thinks I might/should watch from the historical significance angle.

gobuchul
    Free Member

the royal family brings in tourism,

Absolutely. I mean Paris is devoid of tourists after what the French did to their Royal family.

jp-t853

I think it is good to see different opinions here.
    My views are it is always sad when someone dies but I don’t have any special feeling on the occasion.
    I have sympathy for the family. They live in a privileged yes but very weird bubble. The Queen worked hard but I don’t think she was ever a good Mam/Mum/Mother in the sense that most of us had or wanted. I think it will be a difficult process for her kids to go through.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

“The Queen worked hard!”Lolz

jekkyl

All the world leaders will have to attend the funeral, London’s gonna be a busy place. How soon after do they have the coronation? You’d want it the next day as all the commonwealth leaders would likely attend that too and they’ll still be in the country.

tjagain

Its been interesting reading this because there are viewpoints expressed that are alien to me. Its always good to see differing views. Its one of the things i find valuable on this site.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

The Windsor brand has been very well marketed for decades. I’m quite interested as to seeing how this next fortnight goes and as to whether they can cement Charles into the same spot in the country’s psyche.

Klunk
    Free Member

“The Queen worked hard!”Lolz

say what you like about her, she had impeccable PR 😉

the-muffin-man

Not a chance – Charles is damaged goods to many. He’s not going to attract the same level of attention the Queen did.

IHN

How soon after do they have the coronation?

It’ll be ages after. It was about a year IIRC between the Queens ascension and coronation.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Not a chance – Charles is damaged goods to many. He’s not going to attract the same level of attention the Queen did.

Maybe I should have said ‘start to cement’.

However, he did rather well following Dianna’s death, appearing with his wedding ring rather prominent for TV and press appearances. He was definitely the grieving husband not the cheating ex after that.

Not sure it takes much to turn public perception if you have the PR might of the royal family.

13thfloormonk

What is quite funny, is the amount of haters for Charles and Camilla, even among the Daily Heil readers. They do not get that he is now their King and Camilla is Queen Consort. Thems the rules!

I started wondering if the spivvery and shitbaggery in Westminster will go (even more 🙄) unchecked now, as previously they might at least have felt they had to show some deference to the Queen, if only to keep the DM readers on side. Now it’s Charles and Camilla, will the Tories care quite so much?

(I realise my argument is massively undermined by the fact that ‘due deference’ didn’t stop BoJo lying to her, or Theresa May obliging her to meet Trump, but still).

This did result in a dawning comprehension of what the Queen meant to the country, maybe a sort of link back to the sort of Britain a lot of people either think we still are (decent, chivalrous, important) or wish we could be again, even if they misdirect this yearning in strange ways e.g. Brexit etc.

Drac

I’m also proud to be a member of the emergency services so my whole working life has had connections to the Queen.

Me too. I don’t see it as a connection to the crown

I once provided medical cover for the Queen though.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Different service to me then drac

theotherjonv

“She can be a bit cantankerous but she’s got a great sense of humour”

chewkw
    Free Member

How long do we think/guess that Charles will stay?

My gut feeling says that I will see two coronation in this life, whether that’s a good or bad sign I don’t know.

Three more coronation at best but if they survive it will be forever, there is a dark force looming.

Drac

Different service to me then drac

Probably but I get the medals. I just don’t see it that way.

sirromj

It took me buy surprise that I felt a little emotional about it but I’ve never taken much interest in the royal family other than my Dad (in his 80s now) watched the Queen’s speech at Christmas without fail, I think its the most important part of Christmas for him.

Have never felt much sadness at the passing of a famous person before. I don’t take much interest in famous people/celebrities.

Some people watch a movie and cry. Maybe this is something almost like an intermittently watched movie that’s been running for 70 years?

sharkbait
    Free Member

He’s been in waiting all his life and probably wants to do a stint, but he’s 73 and probably many people think William is ready and a fresh monarchy with a generational change is needed.

I agree. I hope he does a short bit but then hands it over* to William and Kate who, I think, will do a great job.

* partly because of this:

Charles is damaged goods to many.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Don’t really see how any royalist could object to Charles, I mean the whole point of having a monarch is that it’s a hereditary position that makes no reference to how suitable or otherwise the current inhabitant of that position may happen to be.

If you don’t support Charles because he’s shit, you don’t support the concept, full stop.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you don’t support Charles because he’s shit, you don’t support the concept, full stop period.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Jekyll, BBC saying funeral probably 10-11 days time, BH, schools closed.

B******, I won’t get an extra days holiday allowance, and I’ve already taken my annual leave, so that’s a day unpaid.

I think my sympathy just ran out.

muddyground
    Free Member

BBC currently reporting that history has actually stopped. If this is how they are reporting things on Day 1, where do they go in the next 10 days?

Mad rush for commemorative papers this morning – saw a few people bulk buying them.

R6 is trying to play the game, but I am not sure Amy Winehouse is in the true spirit of miserablism.

Day off for me also means no pay.

chewkw
    Free Member

Have never felt much sadness at the passing of a famous person before. I don’t take much interest in famous people/celebrities.

Same here as with many in commonwealth nations.

I agree. I hope he does a short bit but then hands it over* to William and Kate who, I think, will do a great job.

Not easy for Will and Kate because there is a dark force, you know who, that will challenge them. Importantly Kate needs to be strong as she needs to support the Kings.

B******, I won’t get an extra days holiday allowance, and I’ve already taken my annual leave, so that’s a day unpaid.

I think my sympathy just ran out.

Your routine being disrupted?

kelvin

there is a dark force, you know who, that will challenge them

Voldemort? Darth Sidious?

copa
    Free Member

As we enter day two of ten, I just want to share some of the wonderful memories.
    There was the time she saw some cows at an event and said ‘cows’.
    There was another time when she was with Mr Trump and he acted slightly disrespectfully.
    Wonderful memories. I’m sure there are others.

chewkw
    Free Member

Voldemort? Darth Sidious?

If you want to call it that way.

The dark force will come from within the family.

IHN

Not easy for Will and Kate because there is a dark force, you know who, that will challenge them. Importantly Kate needs to be strong as she needs to support the Kings.

Huh?

ElShalimo

there is a dark force, you know who, that will challenge them.

Have you not had your Windows Updates this week?

Or are you being racist?

chewkw
    Free Member

Huh?

No need to understand. If you don’t get it you won’t. Not important. Just my opinion.

Have you not had your Windows Updates this week?
    Or are you being racist?

??? Racist? You read too much into that. Didn’t cross my mind at all. Dark force is just negative energy that can come from everywhere but the strongest is usually within.

scotroutes

Now I’m officially pissed off. A social bike ride that was planned for tomorrow has been called off as a mark of respect.

I mean, whit??

anagallis_arvensis

BBC saying funeral probably 10-11 days time, BH, schools closed.

Ha, look after you own kids suckers, wait hang on doesn’t someone have to look after mine, I am a key worker!

muddyground
    Free Member

Dark force? Oh, can we now be all 70’s and start posting clips from love thy neighbour?

Cougar

How long do we think/guess that Charles will stay?

I wondered that earlier. I have a mental image of, you know the scene in Superman III where Evil Superman straightens the Leaning Tower of Piza, the tourist tat-seller bloke has all his models remade and then Good Superman tilts it back over again? That, only with William on the throne and a bloke in the Royal Mint looking at a huge pile of King Charles pound coins.

there is a dark force, you know who, that will challenge them

The Daily Mail?

intheborders
    Free Member

Absolutely. I mean Paris is devoid of tourists after what the French did to their Royal family.

Whenever folk talk about the benefit to tourism of the Monarchy I always reply with “you’ll be gobsmacked when you learn about Versailles”.

jambourgie
    Free Member

If you’re waiting on parcels I’ve just read some good news that out of respect for the queen those lazy posties have decided to go into work today.

kelvin

The dark force will come from within the family.

What are you on about?

Now I’m officially pissed off. A social bike ride that was planned for tomorrow has been called off as a mark of respect.

I mean, whit??

I guess they didn’t want to hurt your feelings.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.