Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 722 total)
  • This Obesity Thing
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t remember ever being commissioned. Hmmm…

I believe the usual method of enrolment is sedating, then branding on the ample buttocks.

piemonster

well it also coincides with lots of things, mobile phone use, online shopping and the popularity of strictly come dancing

By Jove, it’s internet prons fault. No longer are young people getting exercise in by cycling along country lanes rummaging through hedgerows for discarded editions of ‘Fiesta’ and ‘Razzle’

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry, been out doing more exercise.

So, knowing all we know, shall we come back again next year and have the exact same discussion, like we did the last time?

Presumably the people who have analysed the subject will be already on the way to their ideal weight, so can report back.

January 2014 ok for everyone?

piemonster

January 2014 ok for everyone?

No, bit soon tbh.

crikey
    Free Member

That’s what too little to eat does to me…

piemonster

Go make yourself a nice cuppa sugary tea and have a slice slab of cake.

That’ll sort you out.

bufty
    Free Member

Soon enough you’ll be able to say what they like about fatties. The moment that they become the majority in this country the PC rules no longer apply. Try calling someone skinny then! 😡

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

‘They’ are the people eating the cake, biscuits and chocolates.

I eat cake, biscuits and chocolates too when I feel like it. Yet I am not overweight. So do a lot of skinny/”normal size” people. It’s not just “them” eating them.

It seems to be ok to say ‘Ooooh, it’s complex, Ooh, it’s really hard not to eat sweet things, Ooh, you’re not helping by telling us to eat less and move more, and you’re calling us chubby’, while the biscuits and the cake and the chocolate get eaten by people who would like to lose weight.

It is complex. It is quite hard not to eat sweet things at all, when we have a culture (like most cultures) where social activities frequently involve food. If you don’t think social activities do revolve around food and drink, try being coeliac and not being able to join in most of them even if you wanted to.

Personal responsibility will have to kick in, and as with smoking, drink driving, Class A drug use, a little social stigmatising might push people along a little…

ROFL. Because personal responsibility, and “Just Say No” has worked so well with those things, hasn’t it. Pushing abstinence from sex works so well with horny teenagers to avoid pregnancy. Social stigma worked really well to stop people being gay, getting pregnant outside wedlock, marrying someone of a different race….catch my drift? What do rebellious teenagers do when Mummy and Daddy say no? Go off behind their back and go do it of course and stick two fingers up.

So, I think that’s that strategy debunked. Next.

Solo
    Free Member

Hollywood don’t care.

crikey
    Free Member

Lots of people on here seem to have the answers, ball’s in their court.

My take is that until people personally take responsibility, obesity will continue to grow. I see no sign that any clever insulin/leptin high/low gi science is helping to change things.

Unfortunately, we live in interesting times, post war rationing is only a couple of generations ago, the rise of the motor car newer still, and our relationship with food is screwed up. Only if people decide to change will we see anything alter. Of course this would need a certain amount of intelligence and self awareness, both of which are rarer than a queue at the salad bar…

footflaps

I blame travelators in airports. I mean WTF is wrong with having to walk 500 yards?

grum
    Free Member

I see no sign that any clever insulin/leptin high/low gi science is helping to change things.

Bit premature to say that when not that many people are taking heed of it. First thing on the NHS healthy eating tips page:

Base your meals on starchy foods

😕

ton

if I have loads of vinegar on my fish n chips, the acid eliminates all the bad fats………..FACT!!

MikeWW
    Free Member

if I have loads of vinegar on my fish n chips, the acid eliminates all the bad fats………..FACT!!

…so you still think fat is bad for you?

Solo
    Free Member

I’m convinced. So much so that I’m going for a ruby, tonight, with chips !

Solo
    Free Member

…so you still think fat is bad for you?

Only bad fats !
    (please read the post)
    😉

ton

day off solo……..ace 8)

crikey
    Free Member

Bit premature to say that when not that many people are taking heed of it. First thing on the NHS healthy eating tips page:

Which is, of course, the first port of call for anyone who thinks about eating?

Or maybe not.

People are not ‘taking heed’ of any dietary advice, because food and our approach to it is not something we learn from websites or public information campaigns. We learn from our parents and our peers, who in turn learn from their parents and peers.

Mrs C is involved in primary health and spends a long time trying to undo the idea that bouncing babies are healthy babies…

molgrips
    Free Member

Crikey you seem to be of the opinion that EVERY fat person is blaming someone else.

crikey
    Free Member

Crikey you seem to be of the opinion that EVERY fat person is blaming someone else.

I’m sorry if it comes across like that, I don’t mean to convey it that way, and I don’t find it easy to discuss by text because the nuances of my conversation are lost and I sound like an insensitive knobber.

I think there is an important difference between not taking responsibility and blaming someone else. I think the current situation is the former.

I also think that the way people explain the complexity has to be done in a way that doesn’t become the new excuse; an up to date version of ‘It’s me glands’.

It’s clear that obesity is not recognised by the general public as a major threat to their health; echoes of smoking in young people…

I try to lead by example with the people I know; I explain that I’m not eating because I’m not hungry, I explain that it’s okay to be hungry, I explain that I think exercise is at least as important as diet, I show people that they don’t have to eat three big meals a day in order to be at work, I move the chocolates to avoid the constant snacking, I suggest that people don’t need biscuits with every coffee, I make sensible choices from the canteen, I advise new starters that they will put on weight if they don’t think about the combination of long hours, meal breaks and stressful situations.

I try bloody hard to be peoples conscience, because I see so many of them get fat then get miserable because they are fat.

…does it work? Does it ****! 😀

…no, it does work to some extent, I can influence people and I can guide them to a degree, but I get a fair amount of ‘Oh, it’s easy for you, because you ride a bike and you’re always thin’…

Grrrrr! I put so much effort into being fit, and don’t eat crap and everyone thinks its easy…

molgrips
    Free Member

Good post crikey, and I understand and agree.

However my post was really meant to say that whilst many people don’t take responsibility, many do and STILL fail. Many people have genuinely tried and failed to overcome their vices and habits of a lifetime. It can be really very difficult.

Rather than castigating those who have failed, which is what the “just ELMM fatso it’s easy” message does, it’s better to help people help themselves. Dietary advice will do this if it can be put across. So will intelligent legislation.

piemonster

just ELMM fatso it’s easy

It’s curious how our two perceptions of ELMM differ. I’ve never thought of it as “easy” but I do think of it as “simple”, in general at least.

I also automatically assume that the “eat less” bit also means “eat better”

Hey ho.

crikey
    Free Member

I think that’s the crux; ELMM is a simple concept, but it requires a great deal of effort and probably discomfort/unpleasantness to be effective.

I can do it, but not because I’m special or hard or anything else, but because I know that in 3 months or so I will see the benefit and I don’t like to be overweight.

My thoughts are based on the people I see who want more than anything to lose weight but fail at the first hurdle; ‘Lets have a takeaway, we’re on nights and it’s a bit crap’, followed by the next night…

I’ve been at work and seen 4 different takeaways ordered over 4 nights, all by people who really feel uncomfortable because they are overweight. I try to suggest that it’s not the best thing to do, but I struggle to get it across.

Meh. I don’t know the answer, but it has to be a personal thing in my opinion.

_tom_
    Free Member

It’s easy when you get going.. ie when you’ve changed your lifestyle to that of a normal healthy person. Just that initial hurdle can be hard. When you start to see results you won’t want to stop. Shame that a lot of people never seem to get that far.

theotherjonv

Another question. Eat better move more, and slow carb eating. I’d love to pretend I have time to cook everything from scratch but I don’t. I’ve read relevant parts of the 4HB book, and I’m avoiding white foods, etc. But even sticking to other stuff, occasionally I’m enticed by prepared ingredients, like tonight I’m having a lentil and chickpea Dahl. It seems pretty low in sugars to me, 2.1g/100g vs a rda of i think 90g but is that right? What is considered low by slow carb standards?

molgrips
    Free Member

Slow carb is not low carb.

Basically on iDiet you need to eat your fill of pulses and veg, so it sounds like you are bang on.

It’s curious how our two perceptions of ELMM differ. I’ve never thought of it as “easy” but I do think of it as “simple”, in general at least

Well ok, it’s a simple concept, but what happens in your body is not. So many people who elmm either don’t lose weight or feel like shit to varying degrees.

theotherjonv

Idiet’s not low carb though. It has lots of carbs coming from veg. So does 4hb. Both however recommend staying away from starchy and simple carbs, ie low sugars. Hence the q, what is considered low sugar by those standards?

leffeboy

not on topic but there is something about stw threads that once they get beyond 15 pages they start to get really good, even if it just about how to discuss stuff in a constructive manner. Wish we could press a button and just put the first 15 pages on. good stuff

allmountainventure
    Free Member

epoc

Hope it helps.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hence the q, what is considered low sugar by those standards?

It’s low GI you need to be looking at (or possibly low GL). Which is usually related to low sugar. GI of less than about 55 I think is rated low.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Told them all to buy a bike or do something else that watching crap

Dieting is statistically more effective than exercise. Dieting plus exercise is not significantly better than dieting alone.

Vicki,I believe the major cause of obesity is excess calories. Not inactivity although it does contribute.

crikey
    Free Member

Dieting is statistically more effective than exercise

At what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_exercise#Health_effects

This is not about just losing weight, it’s about living, and there is a big difference between living and just being alive.

theotherjonv

It’s low GI you need to be looking at (or possibly low GL). Which is usually related to low sugar.

I get that, but compounded foods like my lentil and chickpea Dahl don’t have their GI / gl listed, and you can’t work it out without knowing the full accurate recipe. But they do list both the carbs and the sugars, hence what is considered low sugar? 2g/100g seems pretty low, you have to eat a lot of Dahl to get to the 90g RDA published by various agencies – but as much as this thread has expounded, that RDA seems way in excess of what might be considered reasonable. What do the wise men on here think is a good RDA for sugars.

crikey
    Free Member

I don’t want to be Mr negative, but I can’t see lentil dahl fixing the issue…

theotherjonv

It was tasty though…….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

At what?

I seem to remember it was cardiovascular events, blood pressure and weight.

And some people really don’t need to exercise to feel “alive” – I should imagine in certain circumstances being lazy can serve an evolutionary function eg conserving calories in an environment where food is scarce – which of course would not be useful anymore.

MikeWW
    Free Member
    weeksy

I watched some interesting progs last night. The interesting fact was something that i’ve heard/read at times (including on here) that it’s impossible (ish) to out-train a bad diet. This is of course only really relating to weight loss. You can use exercise to maintain the weight loss once done, but essentially, without sorting out the diet, you won’t lose the weight.

Recently, i’ve been working hard on both the size of my diet and the quality, i’ve been training hard, but only the same hard as i have in the past 2 years. However, it’s only now, i’m starting to see the fruits of my labour again with weight loss. There’s the ELMM logic (eat less move more), but for me it’s more a case of EBMM (eat better move more) that’s getting results. Gone are the snacks, gone are the Dominos, gone are most (not all) of the bad stuff, the end result is that the weight is coming off.

I’m never going to be a full on calorie count junkie, but i’m giving it a bit more thought and the results are beginning to happen.

soobalias
    Free Member

OP, there isnt a sport for everyone immediately, often the major barrier to that is the weight they are carrying.

iDiet, 4HB and BFFM all helped my missus and i understand food and weight loss better. Its all about understanding what works for you. The real horror is how much ‘other’ food there is in an average supermarket. Even when Im just eating whatever i like, i reckon 3/4 of the shop is missed out.
    You have the fruit, the sandwiches, the ‘sausage rolls’, the dairy, the biscuits, the crisps, the chocolates, the sweets, the soft drinks, the alcohol, the sauces, the ready meals, the bread.
    Often from a section there is one good choice, and 20 poor options

and this is before i start on about how my steak was raised, how happy my turkey was, how organic my eggs are or how many miles the olives/nuts travelled to get here.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 722 total)

The topic ‘This Obesity Thing’ is closed to new replies.