Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 428 total)
  • The Winter Olympics thread
  • GrahamS

Fair enough. I’m going to watch it, but I will occasionally tut disapprovingly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m not watching any of it.. due to Putins state sponsored demonisation, arrest, harassment and even torture of gay people…

Not watching is going to change nothing, there are far more proactive things you could do to register your protest. This is sport, the altheletes are caught up in this. A good friends brother was hot favourite for a sailing Gold at the Moscow Olympics but his sport boycotted the games (GB allowed individual sports to decide) and he never got another chance.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@CFH that must have been a laugh and somewhat intimidating ! Showing my age but we where in Meribel in 94 and skied some parts of the ladies downhill, there was one section we could barely manage from a standing start and in the event there where tons of crashes as the girls where coming in at 60mph. When you stand at top of Bevlarde in Val and imagine the Olympic DH just went straight down that.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Could be worse

Oooh. The Jump.

WTF was that all about? Get some C (to Z) -listers and chuck them into a meatgrinder.

sportsmatch
    Free Member

Biathlon for me also

I cannot wait for the holmenkollen round in Norway when I,ll be there 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

Going to be watching and enjoying all of it, with perhaps the exception of the figure skating. Particularly following the ice hockey and will watch the mogul boy’s and girl’s with complete and utter awe and admiration whilst holding my knee’s in empathy. 🙂

Been looking forward to it for a while now. The Beeb sports site has some good vids on each discipline too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did you see the couple of mins on BBC News this morning of the lad who went straight through to the finals in the Boarder SlopeStyle?
    A
    Maz
    Zinga 8)

andyl
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like this has been posted yet: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/british-olympic-organisation-accept-emily-sarsfield-s-invitation-from-fis-to-participate-in-the-ski-cross-event-at-the-2014-winter-olympics-in-sochi

She’s the sister of a friend of mine. I’ll let you read up on the link posted but time is running out for her.

She is easily good enough to compete and the offer has even been made to the BOA that she will pay her own way at the Olympics too but even that has been ignored. 🙁

scandal42
    Free Member

Easily the most entertaining Olympics.

Cannot wait for most of it to be honest.

The real story so far has got to be the Jamaica bobsleigh team. Outsiders actually qualified and then turned up in Russia without any equipment due to it going missing, meaning they miss the 1st practice.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/26051530

They should make a film 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Just watching slopestyle repeats. Brilliant.

And why the hell would anyone have a problem with Ed Leigh’s commentay? Knows his stuff, not a prat, enthusiastic…certainly could be worse.. if it was 99% of other commentators.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The hockey for me, best team game on the planet (imo). I’ll be rooting for Canada but Ovechkin’s lot will be going balls out for gold.
    I love the long track speed skating too, graceful yet powerful, the biathlon is just nuts & can’t understand how those lot can be puffing & chuffing one second then holding a rifle stock still the next, awesome athletes.

jaymoid

Yeah I got up early and watched all the slopestyle mens and womens. Amazing Stuff, Jamie Nicholls representing yorkshire landing that massive 1440 got him a ticket straight into the finals. Was feeling pretty proud as I’ve seen him ride at castleford a fair few times. Will be getting up early for the semis and finals on saturday too. Now we’ve seen style and nice spins awarded well and triple corks are not the be all and end all, Jamie could well be in with a good medal chance, he’s got a triple cork in his arsenal as well, depends if he wants to pull it out.

Worth a watch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26063907

+1 Ed Leigh – he’s done a great job so far, him and Tim make a good team. It’s pretty funny when they pull each other up on calling the wrong moves.

nealglover
    Free Member

For me, it’s all about ski cross! Such an utterly loony race, and great TV too.

Ski Cross rocks. I’m gutted it came along after I finished racing 🙁

As a keen Rugby Player and racing DH and Super G it would have been right in the middle of my skill set ! :mrgreen:

thepurist

As with the summer games I’ll only avoid events that are judged rather than scored.

crankboy
    Free Member

“I’m not watching any of it.. due to Putins state sponsored demonisation, arrest, harassment and even torture of gay people…

Did you give the same treatment to China? “

Is China’s governmets attitude to homosexuality the same as Putin’s then?

I’m not watching it due to Putin’s attitude and also the marked failure of our athletes to sign up to the “principle 6” campain.

CountZero

Those not watching in protest, I’d be more impressed if they actually went to Sochi and protested in front of the cameras. Not watching is utterly meaningless.
    And I’ll be watching pretty much anything that’s on, I enjoy all of it, even the curling! Discipline agnostic, that’s me! 😀

khani
    Free Member

Those not watching in protest, I’d be more impressed if they actually went to Sochi and protested in front of the cameras.

Luckily I’m not trying to impress you.. 😀

Not watching is utterly meaningless

To you maybe..

nealglover
    Free Member

To you maybe..

And the people you are protesting against 🙁

crankboy
    Free Member

“And the people you are protesting against “

except it’s not it is keeping the issue on the agenda and massively embarresing for Putin and the Olympic sponsors look at how the media coverage is constantly refering to it .

khani
    Free Member

Let’s not let stupid things like morals or human rights get in the way of some winter sports eh..
    Enjoy.. 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

There was an article in the local (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) newspaper whose sports reporter is in Sochi to cover the Olympics. He found a Pittsburgh themed bar there! 😯 Very odd…

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/5524461-74/pittsburgh-sochi-bar#axzz2sUT5rl1f

molgrips
    Free Member

I will watch, because the Olympics is about much more than Sochi, Russia or Putin. If it were the festival of Sochi laid on by Putin then perhaps. But it’s not, it’s the world’s most prestigious sporting event, irrespective of where it is. Shitbag politicians don’t change that.

crispo
    Free Member

Mainly looking forward to the alpine skiing.

DH is always a great watch and the skier cross is fantastic viewing too. Se of the crashes on there are fantastic comedy. Most looking forward to the Slalom and GS. I used to race with Dave Ryding (who will be competing in those disciplines) so I’ll be watching with great interest.

Going to try and watch a bit of everything really!

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

I felt the need to stand up for my sideways standing brethren and agree with Jmoid, Ed Leigh is a great pundit to have on the beeb for boarding. He knows the tricks , the riders and he gets genuinely and enthusiastically excited at a good run. Anything, anyone as long as it’s not bloody balding.

I have been looking forward to this for the last year! Iv even worked my schedule around it.

onehundredthidiot

Curling. Watching the BBC programme writhe the girls team in the gym. They worked hard mind they do shove big bits of granite around.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Do the Russians know that some of the athletes will be gay?

nealglover
    Free Member

“And the people you are protesting against “

except it’s not it is keeping the issue on the agenda and massively embarresing for Putin and the Olympic sponsors look at how the media coverage is constantly refering to it .

But not watching any of it won’t make any difference at all.

The media coverage might, but not watching it won’t.

Each to their own though I suppose.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Watching the BBC programme writhe the girls team in the gym.

That could make curling more interesting….! 😉

xcgb
    Free Member

I knew it was pricey but
    “at £30bn, the cost of these Games is more than the combined total of all other Olympic Winter Games to date.”
    😯

DezB
    Free Member

Loving Googles “controversial” stance against Russia’s anti-gay laws today…

scuttler

POLITE REMINDER

Leaving aside the corruption and vileness of Russia, let’s try and keep this one on the sporting front shall we?

So, what are you looking forward to?

Naysayers, lobbyists and protesters need not apply. There’s a special discount today only on starting your own thread. Thank you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, Scuttler. Valid point, well made!

DezB
    Free Member

Cool. Nice that it came up at the top of the page where everyone can notice it 🙂

bombjack
    Free Member

Can’t wait for these games to start, looking forward to the sbx and alpine disciplines. TBH I’d rather the press (and riders to be fair) got down to the actual racing and stop all the politicking.

scandal42
    Free Member

Actually watched the team figure skating last night.

It was excellent, the Russians were amazing.

Going to leave work a bit early to watch the opening ceremony this afternoon, and then look forward to some great events this weekend.

klumpy
    Free Member

There’s snowboard dual slalom – that’s damn impressive. Watching these guys laying down in corners while skittering right on the bitter edge of distaster carving on a 45 degree slope of sheet ice. The second run of each pair is also sort of a head to head race – if I read the rules correctly.

Keep seeing people mention ski cross – so they do boardercross on skis now do they..? 😆

scuttler

Keep seeing people mention ski cross – so they do boardercross on skis now do they..?

Just a bit…

richmtb

I love the Winter Olympics

Its the essential craziness of most of the events that appeals

Luge, Bob, Skeleton – bonkers

Ski Jumping – mad as a bag of badgers

Alpine Skiing – mental

Snow and Boardercross, the maddest of the lot

shermer75
    Free Member

Ice Hockey

Yes I know, it’s a picture from a film, but it’s a good picture!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Keep seeing people mention ski cross – so they do boardercross on skis now do they..?

Yep, and pretty much everyone I know, from either side of the snow fence, found that the ski version at the last WO was the best sport there! It’s utterly batshitmentally awesome!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 428 total)

The topic ‘The Winter Olympics thread’ is closed to new replies.