Viewing 28 posts - 401 through 428 (of 428 total)
  • The Winter Olympics thread
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Watching highlights show, still don’t understand curling?!

Also, the women’s team said they s
    Go to the gym twice a day?

Is that really necessary? Not sure you see many bowls players hitting the gym?

GrahamS

still don’t understand curling?!

http://www.businessinsider.com/rules-curling-guidelines-score-2014-1

Not sure you see many bowls players hitting the gym?

You might if bowls was in the Olympics.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks folks – will try that BBC link tomorrow.

CountZero

I’ve been really enjoying the curling, the British team’s winning stone to take Bronze was superb, right in the centre.
    The physical bit, the sweeping, while staying upright on the ice, and avoiding kicking other stones, must really take it out of you after a while; the commentator mentioned one of the men being bright red in the face after one shot, from brushing so hard. Great tactical sport.

wiggles
    Free Member

Thanks for the link.

Still don’t really see that much physical strength/endurance being needed though?

Also figure skating seems crazy that they all do exactly the same spins as each other repeatedly, just seems so rigid for a judged sport compared to the ski/snowboard slopestyle and halfpipe. Just my personal preference though.

scotroutes

If it has to be judged it’s not a sport, it’s art.

CountZero

As I understand the ice dance/figure skating, it’s very much more technical now, with more emphasis on set spins, etc. Certainly in the dance; Torville and Dean wouldn’t be allowed to do the Bolero routine, and they’d never get a row of 6.0’s. Now.
    That photo finish was fantastic, I was bouncing on the couch when that happened. I’ll bet the winner still can’t believe his luck, getting gold from three places back on the last jump. #jammygit.
    The hockey was good, too, especially the Canadian win.

kcal

Still don’t really see that much physical strength/endurance being needed though?

Two elements really — usual aspect of the fitter you are, the more you can concentrate on the shot. Games can last 3 hours (2 hours for us mortals!). And the delivery needs ideally precision to deliver the same stone time after stone.

And the sweeping – lordy – I’m usually no. 1 in our team, so I’m sweeping the other 6 stones, average of 7 ends, can get intense – they mention heart rate spinning up to 180bpm, I can believe it – luckily all our team cycle as well to cross train..

worth a look at this BBC sport/news item —
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/25003029
    and associated Daily Record (!) article
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-curling-champ-eve-muirhead-3068760

and quite a balanced Scotsman article too.
    http://www.scotsman.com/sport/more-sport/other/eve-muirhead-scots-curling-star-is-cool-as-ice-1-3191365
    “previously, warm-up was a fag and a cup of coffee” like it!

iamroughrider
    Free Member

what an amazing olympics. Womens hockey final was awesome as have been many many other events. Ed and companies snow/ski commentary has been brilliant.The Russians have put on an amazing show. Glad they’ve won some medals too. BBC have been brilliant too.

hora
    Free Member

Loved the Ski Cross yesterday :mrgreen:

4x, Ski cross Snow cross

UCI BRING BACK 4X!

wiggles
    Free Member

Ludi threw that one away!
    Definitely think we need those been step down things on MTB trails!

theotherjonv

The physical bit, the sweeping, while staying upright on the ice, and avoiding kicking other stones, must really take it out of you after a while; the commentator mentioned one of the men being bright red in the face after one shot, from brushing so hard. Great tactical sport

Agree with that – but I heard on the BBC Breakfast that curlers use 1800cals in a typical game.

Really? I use less on a three hour bike ride, am i doing the wrong sport.

Pigface
    Free Member

Suomi 😥 well done Sweden now go and win gold.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just watching the curling now – you can see the sweepers really out of breath between shots so clearly very hard work.

nbt

I am flabbergasted at the moment. Elise Christie has now failed to make all THREE of her finals due to decisions from the referees, seems to be a vendetta against her?!

aracer
    Free Member

“You have to respect the referees’ decision, but I don’t agree with it”
    – says it all really.

Edit: a slightly better version
    “You have to respect the referees’ decision, but basically he was wrong”

It does seem rather ridiculous that she was disqualified for somebody doing to her what she got disqualified for before.

nbt

sorry I got it wrong – she did make one final but was disqualified in it. I hope the referees are required to publish a reasoning for their decision

aracer
    Free Member

From what I can work out, they’re totally unaccountable, nbt.

If as suggested she was penalised for an earlier incident before the fall, the question then is, if there hadn’t been a fall would she have been penalised? It seems rather unlikely – in which case it then becomes extremely unfair for her to be penalised for doing something which happens all the time in short track without penalty. As she commented, why penalise two people for one incident – they can’t both be at fault. You don’t have to be much of a conspiracy theorist to start wondering if the referees were pre-judging her.

billysugger
    Free Member
    Bunnyhop

I thought Elise was wonderfully composed when interviewed later. I would have weed in the ref’s shoes and owned them with bombers.

And breath.

aracer
    Free Member

I think that’s what the coach they interviewed planned to do. Whilst respecting their decision of course.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

In fact I have loved all the hockey matches, all the skiing and the boarding all the of presenters. Graham Bell, Ed, both the hockey commentators for explaining their understanding and explanations of the play, the giant slalom skiing ,ski jumping, bobsleigh, luge, skeleton,simply just everything I’ve watched. Feel sorry for Elise Christie. She’s so fast. Hope the games are online, or on tv for a good while, as I’ve probably missed loads too. Just brilliant!!! 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Canada just that little bit to good for Sweden 🙁 been a great game

Pigface
    Free Member

Canada men’s ice hockey team a bit special, congratulations on gold.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yep, good game. Sweden made too many mistakes & Canada capitalised to great effect.
    I wish the commentators had elaborated a bit more on the players, like which regular teams they played for etc, the only thing I found out was that Rick Nash & Henrik Lundqvist are team mates at NY Rangers!
    Right, back to watching NHL on Premier Sports now, but not in HD.

racefaceec90

just watching the ice skating on bbc2,the spanish guy is hilarious 🙂

Bunnyhop

Loved all of it. Got up many mornings at stupid o’clock to watch live events.
    Great run today from Team GB in the 4 man Bobsleigh. Team 1 coming in at 5th position, only .11 second away from a medal, nail biting stuff.

Ed Leigh and Graham Bell were superb in their commentary.

Well done all the athletes who competed in team GB, you did us proud.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Thoroughly enjoyed the BBC’s coverage of the Olympics. Even liked the supermarket trolley studio in the main square. Was this just a BBC idea to save money or were there proper studios if you could afford them?

Viewing 28 posts - 401 through 428 (of 428 total)

The topic ‘The Winter Olympics thread’ is closed to new replies.