Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • The Skateboard Thread
  • bruk

Have kind of got into this by accident. Eldest wanted a skateboard and I ordered one off Sportpursuit without paying too much attention (never really skated as a child and very little idea of what was what).

It arrived as a bloody longboard. He thought it was too big so we bought an Enuff board of the appropriate size for him and I thought I’d have a play on the longboard. Great fun. But like snowboarding and felt a lot safer than the skateboards I remember from my youth.

Fast forward a few months of playing and watching videos on YouTube and I’ve now got 2 longboards as eldest decided he did like it after all and have just received my Wowgo Elecrtic skateboard. Had a go at the weekend and took it out with the kids on their bikes on a nice flat bike path. God it’s brilliant fun. Even on slow setting it’ll do 20km/h and really easy to use.

Just found a new way to break myself.

flyingmonkeycorps

I still haven’t picked up a longboard yet, do quite fancy one though. I quite fancy playing on an electric board too, though I definitely can’t justify the cost of one of those.

Did anyone watch Chad Caruso’s 50 Tricks, 50 States, 50 Days on the Youtubes? He got given an e-board(!) and seemed to love it (plus the series is ridiculous).

samuelr
    Free Member

Hi all. Recently started surfing but live nowhere near the sea. I want a skateboard that feels like a surfboard to play around on and to improve my balance and possibly my surfing.
    I think what I want is a cruiser board. Any one have one or can recommend one?

trumpton
    Free Member

If you like surfing you need a longboard.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I’d have thought longboard, as above. Don’t know much about ’em though.

bruk

The Wowgo electric one was just over £300. Not that I’ve told the wife that! Whilst lots are way more I can’t see myself needing anymore speed or distance. I’m sure my 2 boys will use it more once they have developed the balance and speed control parts.

Can’t say I know enough to recommend a particular longboard but would definitely say get one though.

trumpton
    Free Member

now fast does the electric one go. Sounds terrifying.

bruk

Claims 38km/h in top gear. Scary enough 1st time out at 20km/h on a lovely smooth straight empty bike path! It even has regenerative braking! Will be playing on it again on day off tomorrow!

trumpton
    Free Member

thanks. enjoy it.

flyingmonkeycorps

Blimey, that’s north of 20mph. Potential for skinned knees: high.

samuelr
    Free Member

As per the stw way I asked a question completely ignored the recommendation and hovering over the buy button for a landyachtz tugboat. I really like the arbor oso as well.

trumpton
    Free Member

samueir how much do you want to spend? Mine was about £60 down to £30 but does not have dropped trucks like the more expensive ones. Have a look at discounted models. I like long ones too, as the lengths can vary slightly.

DezB
    Free Member
    samuelr
    Free Member

One of these is on the way

Tugboat Captain

flyingmonkeycorps

That looks fun.

Love that @Dezb, vert is terrifying…

flyingmonkeycorps

What shoes is everyone wearing at the moment? Mine’re falling apart and I’m on the hunt for a bargain…

trumpton
    Free Member

I wear a pair of old vans.

butcher

Love that @Dezb, vert is terrifying…

It is indeed. Watching a video doesn’t convey the sheer speed involved which alone is quite frightening. And that’s before you get up and stand looking over the edge, leaning back a bit while you do because it’s ****ing high up there.

What shoes is everyone wearing at the moment? Mine’re falling apart and I’m on the hunt for a bargain…

Rollersnakes are regularly doing offers on Osiris I find, for about 30 magic beans.

flyingmonkeycorps

I remember Osiris had some mental shoes back in the day… Anyone remember the D3? Hopefully they might have something a little more restrained nowadays.

Osiris D3

butcher

The current range is a bit more subtle.

Although I’m sure they recently re-issued the D3! Unless it was all talk.

DezB
    Free Member
    flyingmonkeycorps

Bookmarking this for next time I have proper internet (we’re on holiday without which is kinda lovely).

trumpton
    Free Member

Anyone who got a board care to share their experiences so far?

flyingmonkeycorps

Thought I’d give this thread a lockdown update.

Since we’ve been locked in I’ve been skating a bit more – got bugger all time, so an hour skating a couple of times a week suits pretty well. Currently got two boards set up, both 8.25″ popsicles but one with massive soft cruiser wheels (ace fun for, well, cruising) and one set up more for tricks. Also figured out a way to strap a deck to my rack so I can ride to spots. Bonus.

The uni car park (where I used to work) has become my go to spot, and seems to be populated by middle aged es skaters (longboard, wheelyboots, all sorts) most nights of the week which is nice.

Getting fairly confident with ollies (faster and higher too) and manuals, landed a few shuvits but kickflips still evade me. Managed to slide the board about a foot tonight, but I didn’t land it. I will though.

Anyone else enjoying the deserted car parks?

DezB
    Free Member

Have to stick to watching other people do it, me.
    Anyone seen the Epicly Later’d series on Vice channel? I think its on Prime.
    Fascinating series about retired pros. The Heath Kirchart one especially.

bob_summers

Been having knee problems recently and a slow to heal ankle sprain, and I think spending 8h a day sitting at a desk during lockdown hasn’t been helping. So I’ve treated my board to some new bearings and rubbers and I’m hoping getting out and pushing around the streets might loosen everything up a bit. Or I might just re-sprain the ankle.

Rather fetching set up of purple 80s Hosoi Hammerhead, NOS pink Slammers and indy 159s (or 169s I forget).
    The deck is actually unridden and I’ve seen them go for the thick end of $500 on the bay, but I think this one has spent enough time on the wall 🤘

5lab

I got myself a surfskate to get through the flat summer. Pumping it is kinda fun, not sure it’s much good for anything else thou

CountZero

Rollersnakes are regularly doing offers on Osiris I find, for about 30 magic beans.

My old Vans are getting pretty shabby, and I’ve been looking for a replacement pair, but I prefer all black, no decorations, and a particular style of toe, with the puffy tongue, and I’d completely forgotten Rollersnakes, used to get stuff from them years ago! Just had a look at their site, and they’ve got some Etnies in exactly the style I want! Yowza.
    Then all I need is a Mindless drop-in style longboard…
    The shoes I can justify, ‘cos my old Vans are shot, but sneaking a longboard into the house could take some doing.
    Well, there’s always the ‘going cheap on eBay’ excuse…

binners

Holy thread resurrection!

Not skateboarding, but quads. Same theory though. It seemed not too as there were plenty of empty car parks and my local rink is obviously shut. I’ve been doing the first street skating I’ve done in decades. Nice and early in the morning so that as few people as possible see me, obviously 😀

I was so bored, I even got round to putting colour co-ordinated bushes on the Bauers

nostrils
    Free Member

Mum is moving house and having a clearout, I rescued my Dads skateboard from the 70s? USA made True-Glide

kula72
    Free Member

I’d just started again at 47, had a few lessons at Projekts in manchester before lockdown. Now I’m a bit out of luck for local places to skate. It’s all muck round here! I might have to get up really early and go up to marple memorial park or something.

bob_summers

Outdoor parks are still sealed off here in Spain so laps of the plaza it is.

maxlite
    Free Member

My son has some skate, sandboard and snow boarding films up. Japan, Cuba, Peru and the US…

Link to website/blog https://www.steffangriffiths.net

Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘The Skateboard Thread’ is closed to new replies.