Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)
  • The Skateboard Thread
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I can think of at least five where I live (in Hull), three in walking distance of my house. One is a bit small and poggy (and full of feral kids), one is pretty decent and the last one is actually pretty awesome. Pretty sure there are others round and about too.

IdleJon

I have posted this before so im sorry if you’ve seen it.

Saved, to watch this evening.

I ride mongo apparently.

That’s the same as in surfing, right foot forward?

scruff
    Free Member

No, mongo is pushing like a mong.

flyingmonkeycorps

Mongo = pushing with the front foot.
    Goofy = right foot forward.

Let’s not get into frontside and backside…

root-n-5th
    Free Member

See, I tripped up already. I don’t push mongo, I ride goofy. Haven’t a clue really.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just don’t get it wrong talking to the kids down the park. Although they’re probably on scooters anyway.

scruff
    Free Member

I do believe the term goofy comes from an old Disney cartoon where he skateboards right foot forward. Mongo is self explanatory and thankfully the offence police have no jurisdiction within skateboarding. Trick names are getting shorter as they get more difficult.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good value longboard? Not sure what is best from a pintail to a drop through, but maybe someone knows?

There are some lovely looking boards out there but I’m not going to spend hundreds.

Thanks.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

(Nee) Naw @scruff that’s not clever. Did you think you’d got away with that? I like skating and was enjoying the thread, I wasn’t going to say anything but to use it as a platform for bigotry, and then being smug about it ain’t cool. Mongo is a skating term but mong means someone with learning disabilities or is stupid, ie me, I prefer goofy.

Disability is one of the 9 protected characteristics in the Equality Act and British Cycling has chosen STW to launch its diversity campaign. I’m not offended, you clearly didn’t mean me and freedom of speech ‘n’ all that but as someone who is singled out every day as being different it’s nippy

IdleJon

I spent a short while in the park earlier, sharing the board with my daughter. I’m starting to trust myself not to throw me off the board at anything over walking speed. And can slalom with some certainty. Stopping is more of a lottery. I’m sure I’ve given myself a groin strain though.

CountZero

Been sorta toying with buying a longboard. I was never very good on a board, rather too old with poor balance. Still got my old board, though, with blue Kryptonics, so I might use those with more modern trucks.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Skating ‘goofy’ is right foot forward
    Skating ‘regular’ Is left foot forward

‘Mongo’ is leaving your rear foot on the board whilst pushing with your front foot. Doesn’t matter if you’re goofy or regular you should always push with your rear foot.

“Look at him he’s pushing ‘mongo’ what a grom”

DezB
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good value longboard?

I dunno if these are good, but when I see that Z-Flex logo I go all misty eyed 😀
    https://www.boardridersguide.com/skate-1/longboards/completes

flyingmonkeycorps

I push mongo when I’m skating switch. Well I used to, I can barely skate regular at the moment.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

I push mongo when I’m skating switch. Well I used to, I can barely skate regular at the moment.

Thats showing off…. i havnt skated since that cow trough movie, i went to take a photo of it yesterday and its filled up with mud again.

Cant link photo

flyingmonkeycorps

Ha when I say I can barely skate regular, at the moment literally dropping off a kerb is a big achievement…

Amazing how things get ganked up so quickly innit. I need to have an explore and find some sketchy spots like that.

trumpton
    Free Member

2 cheap longbaords

these should be fine to start with.

edit – only the no fear one is for sale by the look of it. I got one like this off amazon and it is fine for everything I need. Very impressed.

amazon is good too. Some bargains there, with reviews. Not too sure which style is best though.

I got an extreme sports channel ( EX ) one from amazon for £30 reduced from £50 and have been about 25mph on it with no need for anything better. It’s durable too.

trumpton
    Free Member

longboarding is great fun and feels alot safer than skateboarding even at speed. Feels alot like snowboarding i find. Be careful though as some of the longboards might not actually be that long I found.

fannybaws
    Free Member

anyone tried any of the electric ones? the boosted boards look great but the flowdeck is half the price.

trumpton
    Free Member

I always wear hard plastic knee pads and elbow pads , wrist guards and a helmet. It can hurt when you fall otherwise.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah I never used to wear any kind of pads when I was younger, now I’m getting more old and brittle suddenly it seems like a much better idea. Plus padded shorts, I always seem to land on my arse now.

Not tried any electric boards but tbh it’s not really my thing. I would like to have a go at longboarding, I say there’s nowhere to do it around here but actually there’s a dead quiet crescent that’s about a mile long all in just over the road from work where it might actually be a good laugh… Flat as a pancake, and not the best road surface, but still.

Earl
    Free Member

I bought my 10y a cheap electric. It’s heavy, turns poorly, has a 4 mile range, can’t handle a 90kg adult unless it’s dead flat. Apart from that’s it’s pretty fun. I can see why people spend £1k+ on boost boards.

scruff
    Free Member

anyone tried any of the electric ones?

Just be done with it and get a stunt E-scooter. Or rocket assist-rollerblades.

flyingmonkeycorps

JSR

flyingmonkeycorps

Trough

Not exactly easy posting an image from Dropbox eh?

That’s a right shame, how long since you cleared it? And whereabouts is it (roughly like)?

flyingmonkeycorps

I spent a short while in the park earlier, sharing the board with my daughter. I’m starting to trust myself not to throw me off the board at anything over walking speed. And can slalom with some certainty. Stopping is more of a lottery. I’m sure I’ve given myself a groin strain though.

Yeah I know that feeling, I’m still feeling it from skating to work the other day. Made today’s lunchtime run a bit interesting!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

thought I’d take the board out with the kids earlier – good fun. Those wheels are really quite smooth even on bumpy ground.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2esUNMU]IMG_0487[/url] by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

EddieFiola
    Free Member

The ditch is near Kendal.
    It was named ‘ the dust bowl’ in the 80’sbut the cow shit bowl the other year!

flyingmonkeycorps

Hahaha, I like the cow shit bowl. Reminds me of where I grew up.

Skated into work again today, still rumbly as heck on the cruddy bits but I’m getting used to it a bit more now. Feels awesome on the 7 metres or so of super smooth tarmac! Definitely gonna stick some softer wheels on.

Earl
    Free Member

Anybody own a Penny 32? I’m thinking freestyle-ish but for forgiving than a wooden deck and with softer 90a wheels.

https://www.pennyskateboards.com/uk/mint-black-32.html

flyingmonkeycorps

Nope, sorry – I used to have a cheap Penny knock off from a car boot sale, weirdly it was the only thing I could reliably 360 flip. Apart from that it was awful.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Thanks for tips on longboards. I’m now looking at all terrain longboards with 10cm wheels. They look great but I really don’t need one.

https://www.mbs.com/mbs-blog-1/2017/5/8/jake-freeds-cross-country-longboard-road-trip

https://www.atomlongboards.com/allterrain

flyingmonkeycorps

Not sure I get off road longboards tbh, though I guess they might be quite fun on bumpy tracks. Let us know how it goes!

Earl
    Free Member

The Penny32 is more like a regular skateboard than a wee Penny22.

I picked up a Penny22 knockoff on gumtree for my son and it was awful. Jumping on a genuine penny was a complete revelation.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I ordered a long board. Found an atom for 40 quid reduced from 100. The kids like riding them so that’s my excuse.

trumpton
    Free Member

root n 5th – you need a mountain board. 😉

root-n-5th
    Free Member

They look fun but very expensive and might as well take the bike. Think I’ll try a longboard and see how I get on. 70mm wheels should roll ok.

leegee

Used to skate in my teens but my knees would not tolerate it now, I commend those 30+ who do.

I watched this recently it’s really good and Rick McCrank is a great presenter

Post Radical

root-n-5th
    Free Member

That looks worth a watch. Mrs root very happy you’ve found that for me to watch!

Anything about old gimmers on it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘The Skateboard Thread’ is closed to new replies.