The Skateboard Thread

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • The Skateboard Thread
  • I figure there are a few skaters on here (and I’ve not found a decent forum for it yet) so I thought I’d start a little thread…

I used to skate a lot ’til my early 20s – mostly street, I was never any good but I had a few flip tricks, boardslides, 50-50s etc more or less down (on small things, not hitting any massive stair gaps or railslides or anything!). But that was nearly twenty years ago now.

Recently got back into it a little bit – I don’t have much time to ride due to a new baby and my bikes living in my parents’ shed due to our lack of space, so I’ve just been cruising back and forth to work. Hopefully might start popping to the park down the road in the future…

Currently riding a fairly nice Chocolate deck with crappy Route One trucks and wheels, but it pretty much does the job. The wheels are pretty small at 53mm not to mention super hard at something mental like 102a so I’m thinking about changing them for something bigger and softer – maybe 58-60mm /78a as the tarmac around here is horrific.

So what do you ride? Street, park, awesome old school setups… Let’s see it!

beicmodur

I got into longboarding a few years back. Loved it. But moved and there isn’t anywhere to cruise around near me.

Have a look at shark wheels for poor tarmac.

Yeah I like the idea of a longboard but it’s flat as a pancake around here, with bugger all space.

Those shark wheels look nuts, have you used them?

butcher

Get out occasionally to the odd park these days, but definitely not going crazy, I’m quite happy keeping it simple. Think 53mm is pretty much the defacto standard for wheels nowadays, was surprised recently to hear Brandon Westgate say he rides 52s… But I guess it’s considered the best compromise between weight and speed. If you’re just interested in cruising around, I think there are a good range of cruiser/filmer wheels out there now.

TheBrick

Middle-aged shread on Facebook

Aye I think if I was doing more trick skating the 53s would be ideal, they roll fine on smoother surfaces and in the park but on crappy roads they seem to hang up on anything and vibrate like an overcharged dildo.

That might just be my legs getting used to it again though…

Had a look at Middle Aged Shred but I’m not really on Facebook and I don’t really want to be!

Marin

Used to commute to work by skateboard when I lived in Christchurch NZ about 2001 I fear I’d just mangle myself now. Ooh those lovely smooth pavements. Happy Commutes!

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Its just like riding a bike!
    None of us here ever fall off those.

Get some wrist guards.. don’t get carried away.. unless your name is Steve

Ha Cab’s grin at the end of that video literally sums up skating in a single frame.

I think I have some wrist guards from a snowboarding trip a few years back, that’s a good shout if / when I manage to get to the park.

Annoyingly there’s a bowl literally minutes from where I work, but it’s on the poggiest estate for miles around and usually full of feral kids, plus full of leaves and syringes. And it’s tiny.

trumpton

Got a longboard that I could get around on.Loved it. Nowhere to ride it ( yet ) now.
    I used to ride it at a road based cycle track when it was empty as well as going places on it down the cycle lane and through parks. ;). I’ll keep looking for places to have a session though ( since moving ).

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

I bought my daughter a longboard for her birthday last month. (D Street drop through.) She loves it, and I’ve been having a few rides on it. It’s entertaining – might get one myself. Is 50 too old to take up skating? 😁

Pretty sure it’s never too late to take up skating…

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Pretty sure it’s never too late to take up skating…

I was hoping that would be the answer….

I’m nearly 40 and I’m basically starting from scratch, so I say go for it. Obviously you’ll have to buy your own board now…

Marin

Cab looks like one happy guy.

To be fair, given that run I’m not surprised!

antigee

Other parenting options are available:

….actually about 4 years ago now all I hear is the rumble as she departs for local station for all day riding at what ever locations the group agree on

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Other parenting options are available:

I’m trying hard not to be rude, so no!

antigee

I’m trying hard not to be rude, so no!

passed the test ! the bowl/ramps are yours

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber
    plop_pants

I’ve got a plastic street ramp thing if anyone wants it.

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

I got some cloud 9 wheels for mine – very smoooth. Not good for tricks I suspect but that does not concern me.

Premier Icon stewbaccason
    Subscriber

I’ve just started snowboarding and absolutely loving it.
    Takes me straight back to the skateboard years.
    I’ve still got my deck.
    Birdhouse board
    Destructo trucks
    Bones wheels

Been in the loft for maybe 10 years but it’s still in good order.
    I think it maybe time to dust it off!

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

#over50sSkateCrew
    longboarding is fun!
    2019-04-16_03-32-26

I can’t stop watching these videos. They’re hypnotic and terrifying. Plus the music is pretty cool.

As for having nowhere to ride, quite the opposite for me. I’m in Sheffield so there’s hundreds of places I could go to give myself life changing injuries. Which is what would happen, since I haven’t touched a skateboard since I was about 10.

I recently bought my first board and I’m 43. I mean what could possibly go wrong. The boy wanted one and I get so bored sitting watching him so thought I’d give it a go.
    I have 55mm minilogo 90a wheels on mine and I like it. Not too rattlie but still feels easy enough to ride. It came with some that I think had been carved from solid marble which sent your vision funny on anything other than perfect smooth concrete. The Minilogos were recommended by the 40something guy at the skate shop.

Ace, I might have a look at the Minilogos. There seem to be a few options round 80-90a.

Does anyone carry their board around on their bike? How do you do it? I used to have one of those backpacks with straps for a skateboard but it got nicked about 20 years ago, now I’m all outdoorsy with fancy hydration packs and that, which aren’t much use for carrying a plank on wheels.

I have posted this before so im sorry if you’ve seen it.
    I was big into skating in the late 80’s – early 90’s and came across a load of footage of us skating on a VHS tape. I then contacted all the people on the tape and made a small documentary with us meeting again and skating for the first time in 25 years. It was on at the Kendal Film Festival a couple of years back.
    Anyway, here it is again:

I think I remember watching that a couple of years ago… But I’ll be sticking it on the telly again tonight!

jimster01

I used to skate back in the 70’s/80’s, nearest bowl to me in Worcester was Hereford. Picked up a cheap Osprey board a couple of years ago to celebrate my 50th, love it.

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Subscriber

That alpine stuff is amazing. High risk for sure. I’ll watch the documentary later as looks good.

Bought a board a few months back, wheels were rattly so fitted the cloud mines and they are silent and smooth.

Thinking I should have for a long board.

Anyone around Sutton/wimbledon/surrey that wants to meet up and Sk8 (sorry)?

I ride mongo apparently.

The Alpine stuff is proper crazy, going down stuff that fast with no brakes absolutely boggles my mind. Downhill stuff in general, really.

I’m in ‘Ull, so not local I’m afraid!

The year after making that film, i dug an old cattle trough out on a hill side and tried skating that again. It was awful in the 80’s and guess what….. still awful.
    Its here: (i just watched it again, its quite pretentious!)

Maybe a little bit pretentious… But nicely shot. And it does look rough as hell, but sometimes those are the best spots!

Marin

Nice 49 finger film. I want to buy a longboard now and head down the local prom to scuff my knees.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Took my son down to Southsea Skatepark for their anniversary bash.. er.. 5 years ago! I was 50 🙂
    Random bloke came over and asked who I skated with… this was quite amusing because I was crap and thought it looked like I hadn’t skated since the 70s!
    Note, bike helmet

Now where’s that pic of me from 1977? bloody photobucket!

Loving the old school board @DezB! Looks like a nice bowl too.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Cheers! Homemade deck, Tracker trucks and Sims Comp II Conical wheels (all the same as in my ’77 photo, which is why I wanted to post it!). That’s Southsea’s little mogul bowl.
    By the way, there are 3 fab new skateboarding films out – “Skate Kitchen” “Mid90s” and “Minding the Gap” – all worth a watch.

I knew about Mid90s, but I’ll keep an eye out for the other two as well.

scruff

I find it staggering the amount of free concrete facilities that are about, some of them are actually good aswell. Hopefully the Olympics will get a few more, but no team strips thanks.
    Indoor places still seem to struggle to make enough money to stay open.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.