Viewing 40 posts - 6,361 through 6,400 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • cat69uk
    Free Member

I also targeted 1000 miles, currently at 741 miles as of last night. Got some work to do in the next 2 months, but a good motivator. I do have the excuse of being wiped of my bike in June, so broken back, lacerated liver & broken ribs lost me 3 months and still tryingo get my mojo back.

Pyro

I don’t set any overall targets for a year, but as it is to the end of October I’ve done
    – 1530km/950 miles cycling,
    – 872km/541 miles walking/hiking, and
    – 815km/506 miles of running
    over the last 10 months. While I was targetting an Ultra this year, I still need to mix things up as I’m targetting an expedition Adventure Race next year so need to not focus solely on running.

Total volumes have been up and down each month depending on what I was aiming for, but my average month is 153km bike, 87km walk/hike and 82km running, plus a kayak trip or two, an hour or two of climbing/bouldering and a few sessions of yoga.

The more important part for me is that I’m 200+km up on on last year’s total distance to date!

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

I think I should quite comfortably but unintentionally hit 1k miles for the year.

Middlesbrough 10k on Sunday, feeling the pre race nerves re seeking a pb.

lunge

2,300 miles so far for me.
    Wanted to do 3000 but will miss that, but should beat last years 2,600.

marksnook
    Free Member

@lunge that’s some mileage right there! Do you solely run or is there bike time as well? I’m not sure I could find the time to be out that much. What with work and diy etc
    Fair play though!

dashed
    Free Member

Target here was 1,000km in the year and 30,000m of climbing – should manage both (although seriously struggling with IT band at the minute). I did 1,000km last year with 10,000m of climbing but since moving to Sheffield my hills have increased significantly!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I usually target 1000km as well – had to cram a lot in last December for 2020 but done it this year already. Think I’m on about 680miles so 1000miles is probably a bit of a stretch as like marksnook it’d mean losing too many biking days.

turboferret

I’m at 4,303km of running, 29,823m of climbing, so significantly flatter than @dashed 😀 I did have a target of 6000km for the year, but I’m apparently 743km behind, so I think that’s out the window!

lunge

@marksnook, Some bike, but in truth not much. I tend to cycle when I’m injured or tapering for an event and want to take some impact away from my legs, Strava suggests 700 miles on the bike.
    If you break it down, it’s actually that scary, 3000 miles is just over an hour of running a day (8 miles ish).
    I’ve got a job with long hours, but no kids and a wife who knows I’m a better person if I run than if I don’t. I guess I tend to prioritise running, if we’re going out or away somewhere then my first thought is always “how can I fit a run in?”

jam-bo

I’m at 4,303km of running, 29,823m of climbing

i feel better about being slow.

1017km, 22389m of climbing. might hit 30,000 by the end of the year.

pypdjl
    Free Member

1385 miles running, 78888m climbing, I don’t like flat runs!

lunge

Any fellow midlanders doing the Birmingham and District XC at Crewe next weekend? Seems like a suitable lumpy and muddy course to start the season, the fact they’ve suggested 12mm spikes as a minimum seems to suggest it will be a proper slop-fest.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone at the Borders xc today? Think I did ok, especially given my stitch 😭

Might I see anyone at the Dava way on Saturday?

Spin
    Free Member

This year 380km and not a lot of climbing, best year 2867km and 165200m. Suffice to say I’ve not been running so much!

firestarter
    Free Member

I did the white rose ultra near Huddersfield yesterday 31 and a miles just over 4500m climbing, awful wind and rain, and self supported apart from 4 water pick up points (which we weren’t aware of when we set off doh) good though

sirromj

This will be my first full year of running since starting in March 2020. Currently on 220 miles this year. 250 miles would be do-able if I get out twice a week every week, but June was the closest I got to doing that. Will see how I get on though 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh and in a clever bit of planning I also finished my virtual Lejog 874 mile challenge during the ultra that I was using to get some fitness back after covid

didnthurt

Is there a beginner thread on singltrackworld?

All those numbers are starting to make my efforts seem rather lacking.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t let the numbers bother you mate, this thread is for everyone!.

sirromj

Have I worked my way out of the beginners category into the whatever camp yet?

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

@didnthurt beginner runner here 🖐

Did c25k, all going well. Parkrun, then shin splints, so currently taking a couple weeks out until that settles.

Agreed, these guys are very impressive.

matt_outandabout

then shin splints

I found as a beginner that trainers were the main cause of my shin splints – and that correct shoes are a real must….

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

I’m tempted to try some minimal/barefoot shoes to slow me down and correct my form. But currently it’s still tender so need to wait.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Just saw a friend’s Strava for the weekend and noticed he had knocked off a 132km run!

Trying to get my head around how weird that is.

johndoh
    Free Member

It was a lovely day on Saturday so I thought I’d go for a nice long steady run. Then I was informed by one of my daughters that she needed a lift and suddenly my window of opportunity was slashed to 40 minutes so I did a faster 4 mile run and missed my target time by two seconds FFS.

Still, the lovely weather suddenly turned torrential rain and wind so I was happy making it a shorter run.

And that brought up 183 miles for the year for me – but I lost 2 months to an injury and I am having a slow return to pre-injury miles.

stcolin
    Free Member

Some solid numbers up there….

I’ve ran a total of….drum roll please….27 miles. Also only 560 miles on my bikes. My worst year by a very very long way.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Does anyone know if you can access a map mid run and it count towards the current workout or does one need to have the route started from the start of your run? I’m just trying to work out how to access a segment for a section I’m unfamiliar with.

Forerunner 235

(950 miles ytd) ☺️

Thanks.

lunge

I’m tempted to try some minimal/barefoot shoes to slow me down and correct my form. But currently it’s still tender so need to wait.

My mate did this, and never have I known someone have as many calf and Achilles injuries since. He’s still adamant it’s the way to go, I remain unconvinced…

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

@lunge yes, I can understand that. There’s some interesting logic behind it. I thought even if I used it temporarily to help guide me in developing good form.

But then I look around and 99% on people are in “normal” running shoes, so surely that speaks volumes..

alanf
    Free Member

From what I understand, adopting the minimalist / zero drop shoe approach takes a long slow adaptation process, whereby the new shoes should be worn very minimally at first and slowly build up more time in them whilst still using conventional shoes. The time period will be dependant on the individual but I think it is months, and not just a couple. Going full bore too soon will undoubtedly lead to issues as per @lunge

lunge

But then I look around and 99% on people are in “normal” running shoes, so surely that speaks volumes..

Small sample size, but we have 200 ish people at our club.
    1 of that 200 wears barefoot/minimalist shoes and he almost constantly has a niggle or an injury.
    I’m not saying you need to be wearing huge, squishy shoes, I love a low drop/low cushioned shoe (like an old racing flat) for some runs, but there’s a lot to be said for “normal” running shoes.

didnthurt

Really new to running and currently doing a Garmin couch to 5k. It’s going ok, I’m on week 2 and up to just over 3k. I’m finding it just as hard as I’d imagine it to be. I try to do run at 5 min per kilometre.

At least my legs the next day have stopped feeling like they’ve been attacked with a baseball bat.

When does it become fun? 😉

highlandman
    Free Member

@cynic-al I’ll be at the Dava Way ultra this coming weekend. It’s my final outing of what became a 10 race season in the end, more than I was expecting if I’d been asked last spring. As usual, I’ll be on duty at the start, briefly at the mid-point and then providing medical cover at the finish line at the pavilion in the park in Forres. Enjoy your run and maybe see you there.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

2 min PB on Sunday at Middlesbrough 10k. 45:33, so pretty happy with that. An earlier in the week niggle and then a race means I’m limping today. I’m now the fastest and slowest I’ve ever been.

firestarter
    Free Member

Mrsheen I think it has to be accessed before you start ,as I had issues trying to find mine after I started my ultra but didn’t want to mess with it on route as I didn’t want to split it as it was only my 2nd ever 50km plus run

mogrim

Really new to running and currently doing a Garmin couch to 5k. It’s going ok, I’m on week 2 and up to just over 3k. I’m finding it just as hard as I’d imagine it to be. I try to do run at 5 min per kilometre.

That’s quite a fast pace for someone new to running, nothing wrong with that of course but you might want to slow down a bit while you’re building up to 5k.

(And 2477km/88783m ytd 🙂 )

nickjb
    Free Member

That’s quite a fast pace for someone new to running, nothing wrong with that of course but you might want to slow down a bit while you’re building up to 5k.

Was going to say something similar. Have a look at your local park run times (rather than some of the times posted on here) and you’ll see 5 min/km is pretty fast, it’ll probably put you in the top 25%. If you can do it easily then great, but if building up I’d slow down a bit. I’ve only started this year and have been trying a few different things. I’ve been trying deliberately slower runs, keeping the heart rate low, recently and my distances have pretty much doubled and I feel way fresher afterwards.

lunge

5 mins/km is roughly 8 mins/mile. That’s very good for a beginner and would put you about 30th out of 200 at my local parkrun.
    I’d be slowing down a touch to about 5:30’s or I fear injury may be imminent.

turboferret

@mrsheen I’m pretty sure you can start and stop a course at any point you want during your run, certainly can on my Fenix 5+. I know I changed the way I was course following during my Thames Path run with no issues, apart from the battery dying after 144km..

didnthurt

Thanks for the pointers. I’ll try to back off the pace a bit in the running.

I’m only doing 3 runs a week which last less than 20 minutes apiece including warm up and warm down.

I’m only running on the flat and am wearing my Adidas Terrex Swift Solo shoes. They’re not overly cushioned and nice and light which I like.

I swim twice a week (a mile breaststroke) and try to get out on my bike as much as I can. So my base fitness is alright, so assumed I’d adapt to running fairly quickly.

Not keen on getting injured but do want to progress, patience isn’t one of strengths but will listen to advice.

Nearest park run to me is 10 miles away in Falkirk, not too keen to drive a 20 mile round trip for less than an hour’s worth of exercise. So will keep plugging away until I’m good enough to run with some folks I know who run regularly. 👍

Viewing 40 posts - 6,361 through 6,400 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.