• This topic has 7,709 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by temudgin.
Viewing 40 posts - 7,601 through 7,640 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • fazzini

I’ve never seen so many people needing first aid ( including defibs ) on a race before .

This was very disconcerting. Hope they were all OK.

lunge

Awesome work @fazzini and @crapjumper. It must have been brutal out there so it’s as huge achievement.

nickewen
    Free Member

I wanted to say thank you to the posters on the previous page for the GNR advice. I decided to run it and just deal with the fall out.. and it hasn’t been too bad this week. It was my first ever half marathon and even though the conditions were horrible I enjoyed it in a weird way.. the atmosphere was absolutely tremendous! I limped over the line with my knee brace on in 2hr 15m which I was over the moon with TBH, I was ecstatic just to finish at all. But my target when signing up was under 2 hours so I may have to go again next year.

I too was very worried to see a number of people needing medical attention along the way. I hope they were all ok in the end. I started quite far back in the green wave after missing wave assembly so only ran half the race in blistering heat. My race pack never turned up so had to stand in a monumental queue on the day to get a replacement one, so was messing around with safety pins etc. while everyone else was getting into position and doing warm ups!

benjishucksmith
    Free Member

After some head torch advice.

I’ve been using a spare front bike light over the last winter but I think it time to get a head torch.

Do I go for Decathlon, Alpkit or and Amazon special?

I don’t need anything crazy bright or expensive but around 30 quid would be perfect

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well done GNRers.

As for head torch, I found an eBay special fine, though I upgraded both the battery and charger (standard 18650s). From what I see around me, you can spend a lot more and not really get anything much for it.

scotroutes

It’s worth considering a chest torch. I tried one for the first time last winter and found it was ideal on the wider, smoother stuff I tend to favour in the dark.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Alpkit Quark is the head torch I have been using for the past three years, good performance for the cost.

mogrim

Petzl Iko Core is my current head torch – very, very comfortable although I do need to wear a headband or hat to stop it  slipping.

And if you’re ever interested in a challenge, I can definitely recommend the Tors des Geants which I successfully completed this weekend. 335km of alpine fun 🙂

cat69uk
    Free Member

Amazing Molgrim, that looks a brutal race! Although incredible scenery etc…

lunge

@mogrim, Just googled that, it sounds brutal. Awesome work.

spawnofyorkshire

@mogrim – I think we need a bit more on how it went! Fair play to you doing that one, I watched Jeff Pelletier’s vid on it a few years back and it looks brutal, but stunning scenery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qo10sZKAVQ

mogrim

What can I say? It’s an at-times brutal, 335km trail race up and down the mountains that make up the Aosta valley. It was an amazing experience – mostly positive, but with enough negative moments to keep things interesting 🙂  I set off on Sunday morning at 10am, and finished on Friday around 14:30. There are about 40 feed stations, including 7 life bases where you can get your feet checked out, showers, proper food, and a bed to sleep on. A lot of the feed stations were mountain refuges and you could also have a sleep there, space permitting. (I think I slept about 8 hours in total).

Worst moment? Undoubtedly on Friday morning. We set off from the last life base at just before 1am, and about 5 minutes later it started pissing down. It didn’t stop until 7. It wasn’t too bad at the start, but as time went on it just got grimmer and grimmer, and there’s only so much a waterproof jacket can withstand. I was running with an American guy, and we left a feed station at about 6 or so, completely drenched. And I forgot to have a coffee. About 10 minutes later I was falling asleep on my feet, and was starting to seriously hallucinate due to lack of sleep. Fortunately it was an easy path – I dread to think what it would have been like if we’d been on the track we’d descended earlier. But it still took me 15 minutes or so to mention just how ****ed I was to my companion. Absolute star: he had some caffeine pills! Took one, and about 20 minutes later I was back on track.

Best moments? Probably too many to mention, but standouts are: the scenery, obviously; the camraderíe, particularly from Thursday on when we were all starting to suffer; making new friends (like the aforementioned US guy); and the massive, massive buzz of going over the finish line.

So yeah, it’s an expensive event, but one I’d highly recommend. Budget and wife permitting, I’d love to have another go.

dashed
    Free Member

Just in awe of @mogrim!!

Been a shit summer for me. Start of the year was great and really enjoying my running. Then had covid and a couple of chest infection which knocked me back a bit but did the Round Sheffield Run not long after – wasn’t great but managed to get round as I’d have expected having had covid and not run for a month.

then the wheels fell off with lots of breathing pain and tight chest. Obviously raised lots of red flags with GPS who have been shit. Weeks later and I think I’m heading for a haemochromatosis diagnosis, which can lead to shortness of breath. Hopefully can confirm asap and start some treatment (bit of blood letting normally)

crossed

I’m sure this gets asked every year around this time but here goes…

What’s good in the way of head torches for night running?

I’m happy to spend a few quid on one that’s not some shonky Chinese Amazon special that’ll burn my house down when I try to charge it. For bike lights I’ve always spent the extra and went for Exposure stuff as they’re good quality and just work.

Anyone got any experience with Exposure head torches?

I normally wear a cap when I’m running so it’s a bonus if someone can recommend a head torch that’ll work with a cap.

dashed
    Free Member

@crossed – some recommendations higher up this page!

Spin
    Free Member

I normally wear a cap when I’m running so it’s a bonus if someone can recommend a head torch that’ll work with a cap.

Like a peaked cap? Im not sure any head torch will work very well with that. Scotroutes was talking about the chest mounted ones though.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@mogrim – amazing effort on the TdG. I can’t quite comprehend the distance.

all others – great going, and I think we are all glad it’s bit cooler.

Anyone doing the Vitality 10k tomorrow in London? I got an offer through parkrun to enter for a tenner so going along for the experience, even though 10ks are against my

religion. Horrible, hurty things. I put down my pb from a couple of years ago and I’m in wave 1. I’ll need to watch my mirrors!

headtorches: I bought a nice black diamonds but it has this stupid function when you touch the side it switches to main beam. I always seem to trigger it, unless I want to, and keep having to check if it’s on or off. I’ve tried taping the side but to no avail.

Bought an Alpkit Qark and although it’s a bit rougher around the edges, it’s functional,

comfy enough and easy to use.

franksinatra

What is the STW anti chafing cream of choice? as I’m ramping up the distance I suffer after a run, mainly at base of buttocks ( sorry for the detail)

I assume I need something for during, and post, run.

cheers

mogrim

Just turn it round when you’re using the light. Fairly happy with my Petzl Iko Core, but it definitely needs a head band or hat to stop it slipping. At least for my head, anyway.

scotroutes

Scotroutes was talking about the chest mounted ones though.

Yeah – Decathlon do a couple. I bought one after someone in the club was using his and recommended it. As with the bar/head torch decision with bikes, it works best on straighter/wider paths, just a bit of a pain on narrow, wooded stuff as you can’t “squint” into the direction you’re about to be going. Works well in rain, driving snow etc as you don’t get that Star Wars “warp” sensation.

Having said that, I tend not to wear a peaked cap when it’s dark and any head torch I’ve used worked fine with a beanie.

What is the STW anti chafing cream of choice?

Whatever chamois cream I happen to have.

mogrim

What is the STW anti chafing cream of choice? as I’m ramping up the distance I suffer after a run, mainly at base of buttocks ( sorry for the detail)

I’ve been using Assos Chamois Creme, with decent results. Decathlon anti-friction also seems to work well, but for inter-nut use the Assos stuff has been great 🙂

franksinatra

Cheers Mogrim. You have earned the running credibility so happy to take your recommendation!

lunge

It’s that time of the year.
    4 weeks out from Snowdonia marathon.
    Into week 2 of 4 high mileage weeks. 76 miles last weeks.
    Everything aches, constantly. I’m constantly tired. And constantly eating.
    And it’s raining outside so dragging myself out to do the session gets harder and harder.
    The mojo has all but left the building.
    Why do we do it to ourselves??

franksinatra

4 weeks out from Snowdonia marathon.

I just looked at the course profile for that, its not very flat is it?

I did my first running event for years on Sunday, Edinburgh 10km. Target was 1hr, I did it in 1hr 20sec but had to stop for a portaloo wee which splits suggest cost me 30-45secs.

Route was an out and back, it was slightly demoralising to see the lead runners on their way back when I was only 2.5km in to the outbound leg!

nostrils
    Free Member

I’m thinking of entering a trail marathon in the new year – Will a generic marathon training plan (Runner’s world, FIRST, etc) be suitable for this, provided that I do the long runs on similar terrain? I’m not aiming for a time, more just to run the distance.

franko777

There are some great trail training plans here, and all for free – SWAP training plans

You can also scale them up/down depending on how much mileage you want to do

scotroutes

My Wife has decided to do the short run (8km) at the Illuminator next month and casually suggested that I should do the 15 miler. 🙂   I love her really…

mark88

Winter fell running…. without going full gung ho, where best to start with kit?

I’ve tried running in my Altura MTB jacket but it’s just too sweaty. Are there any good lightweight waterproofs (or showerproof?) or just embrace the rain?

Recommendations for layers that pack small enough into a running bag.

MrSparkle

Can I suggest looking at it another way? If you fell and broke, say, your ankle and were stuck cold and wet for quite some time before you could be extracted/rescued, how much kit would you want to have to ward off hypothermia?

Pieface

@mark88 go to Sportsshoes and look at some of their Higher State stuff if you’re on a budget.

Otherwise there’s loads of good kit on the market from the likes of Montane, Haglofs and Salomon. Inov8 can be ok, the OMM Kamleika Smock / Jacket is legendary but alot of there other stuff can have some weird design features.

In winter try to carry an emergency bivi at the least https://www.tauntonleisure.com/outdoor-equipment/survival-emergency/lifesystems-heatshield-bivi-bag__6061 along with full body waterproof cover, hat and gloves, whistle and a gel. Map and Compass if you don’t know the area. If nothing else its good training / practice.

For longer outings in harsh weather then spare gloves and an emergency base layer or primaloft jacket is worth carrying, as is a headtorch if you set off late. If you’re out in a group consider a bothy bag.

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve tried running in my Altura MTB jacket but it’s just too sweaty. Are there any good lightweight waterproofs (or showerproof?) or just embrace the rain?

Recommendations for layers that pack small enough into a running bag.

TBH lightweight waterproofs are still pretty sweaty, there isn’t really a fabric that will cope with what a hard working runner sweats.

The OMM Rotor smock is a good, packable emergency warm layer.

thecaptain
    Free Member

In the winter I generally run with a super lightweight pertex shell from mountainwarehouse (tied round waist if not being worn) which costs about 10-20 quid depending on sale but if I’m going anywhere more remote (or a fell race that requires it) I’ll carry a very light goretex shell, top and legs. Have never run hard in the latter, too hot and heavy (and I don’t go out for pleasure in a blizzard), but necessary for safety. Can’t help on manufacturers for the latter as my wife made them!

mark88

Thanks for the responses – to clarify, I live in the Lakes and am experienced in the fells MTB and hiking. I’m not suggesting heading out for winter runs with minimal kit, but asking what running-specific kit is worth pursuing.

Pieface

OMM Kamleika jacket and trousers, still a bit boil in the bag and relatively big and heavy, but they’re good workhorse waterproofs.

I’ve heard good stuff about the Ron Hill / ME shakedry kit, but not sure if it’s still available.

crossed

I’ve just popped back in here to get recommendations for a light waterproof jacket for winter so thanks for the recommendations above.
    I’m not needing anything for Lake District type weather, just the local area when it’s pouring down as my current New Balance jacket is boil in the bag, doesn’t fit properly and to top it off has a bloody annoying hood that works like a windsock!

I still need to find some new shoes that’ll have some level of grip in the Chiltern chalky mud as my current Speed Goats are struggling already.

stcolin
    Free Member

Well believe it or not my knee has improved quite a bit over the last month or two. I’ve managed a couple of fairly gentle trail runs, 4 ish miles, 500-800ft of climbing. I’m still getting the odd tightness or sharp pain, but much more manageable.

On the flat, my natural pace is about 1 1/2 minutes per mile off what I used to be. So I have a very long way to go if I wanted to be as quick as I was. Not sure I feel the speed will ever return.

crossed

It’s getting a bit cold for shorts now so I’m looking at some tights for winter.
    Big question is… Underwear under running tights or not?

Bazz

@crossed it’s a yes from me otherwise i get a bit too much bounce down there, I have some running boxers from Decathlon that work just fine. I believe there was a thread a few weeks back discussing this.

lunge

Yep, undies for me too. Though to nowhere near cold enough for tights yet here in the midlands.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I just wear my standard running shorts under Ron hills. Has the obvious advantage that if it turns out to be a bit warmer than expected, I can just take the leggings off and tie them round me. Especially for the long 2h+ runs.

No risk of that today with frost on the ground though.

Viewing 40 posts - 7,601 through 7,640 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.