Viewing 40 posts - 6,321 through 6,360 (of 6,479 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Premier Icon stcolin
    Free Member

Can’t think of anything worse than a Parkrun right now. Just too many people.

My lump behind my knee has come back again. Getting info on a Bakers cyst is not good reading. Basically, live with it. Problem is, I can’t run longer than about 5km without getting sharp shooting pains from it.

Premier Icon scotroutes

@Nobeerinthefridge – great photo. I must try the same comparison.

Premier Icon turboferret

Indeed, I’ve never seen 2 identical pairs of shoes in a new and worn state to see the level of compaction.

Premier Icon marksnook

I’m in a bit of slump at the minute. Ran lots in the lead up to the 4x4x48, loved it and booked an ultra for next September. A year is a long way away!
    I feel like ive just got nothing to run for right now. I enjoy running but can’t seem to get out at other than a couple times a week
    Any ideas for changing that mindset? Part of me thinks another event sooner may motivate me but at the same time I don’t just run for a target. I enjoy it normally!

Premier Icon turboferret

@marksnoop it sounds like you either need a bit of a break or to mix it up a bit.  It took me a while to get my running mojo back after doing the Thames Path 100 earlier in the year, I just bimbled about without any plan for a while just enjoying myself, certainly couldn’t face diving back into any programme.

The alternative of course would be to get an event in the diary to focus the mind and give you something to train for.  I had London plus a few club goals along the way which got me going again.  Do you run with a club or alone?  Company can certainly help as it’s as much a social event than just exercise.

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

Also, why not try and set yourself a challenge like run every day for a month or any other set period. Maybe a week to start and see how it goes. Doesn’t have to be fast or long runs, just getting out and enjoying it. Be warned though, it could end up being the start of a streak…

Premier Icon lunge

@marksnook, I think it’s quite a normal feeling this time of year, certainly me and a few of my club mates feel the same. Marathon season is over, the next big races are not for 6 or 7 months and the weather is a bit crap.

I’ve got a few XC races in the diary and am going to find a trail half or 2 to aim at as well.

I’m also consciously going out and running trails that are inaccessible in the summer due to nettles and brambles, and just running for fun.

Premier Icon MrSparkle
    Free Member

I did the British Fell and Hill Relay Champs (aka FRA Relays) at weekend up at Tebay. Our club managed to get two teams in – a Mixed team and a Vets team. I was on the Navigational leg for Vets and I was getting a bit twitchy watching the clag coming down as we arrived! Luckily it cleared a lot by the time we set off so locating the checkpoints wasn’t too arduous. I had a good run, encouraged my slightly slower partner round (2 people on that leg) and both teams finished! This is always a result for our club as we had a long patch of DNFs. Also we were quite close together so we had a race within a race. 1’03” between us. A good day out exploring part of the Howgills I’d never visited before. Up near Edinburgh (Carnethy hosting) next year so hopefully I’ll get in a team and get to take part.

Premier Icon marksnook

I’m still riding my bike so exercise is there. Will a break mean starting again when I run again?!
    Just scraped a 5k on my lunch and it just felt like I was going through the motions of running for the sake of it. Just no enjoyment

I don’t run with a club. Local club run on Tuesdays/Thursdays which is riding night! I could maybe start showing up on a Tuesday though. Another club in Gloucester I could run with.
    I’m leaning towards the trail stuff at the minute in all fairness. Maybe I should get up the woods more. I think going forward I will keep running kit in the van so I can get a couple miles in during work.
    I want to run a trail half and there is a circular walk in Wales I want run so maybe they can be targets. If I find a south west trail half marathon I might enter that
    Thanks for the replies. Will just keep plodding for a bit until decision actually hits me!

Premier Icon MrSparkle
    Free Member

Video of the Relays if anyone is interested.

Premier Icon barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

I was going through the motions of running for the sake of it. Just no enjoyment

I had this with the bike, since August. Hence starting running. I know I’ll be back on the bike at some point, but when I’m ready and hungry for it, not just doing because I’m a cyclist and have a garage full of bikes!

Maybe I should get up the woods more. I think going forward I will keep running kit in the van so I can get a couple miles in during work.

I do that now, running in work lunch break. It’s OK, gets you a run in, and for the rest of the afternoon I feel pretty awesome. But I do enjoy it on weekend or after work more, when I can go off road, and I’m not clock watching.

Premier Icon crewlie

Did my first proper mountain run last Friday. Up and down Arran’s Goatfell. Really enjoyed the run but haven’t been able to walk since with a severe case of DOMS in my quads.
    Now I’m not at all surprised I hurt so much, it was probably too big a jump in climbing and descent not to expect it but my question is, how do I keep my legs from doing the same next time. Obviously my normal running regime isn’t enough, so do I need to do more hills (already do a fair bit, it’s hard to avoid here), more hill repeats, or some sort of weight training. I’m pretty sure it was the descent that did the damage rather than the climbing, so downhill repeats?

Premier Icon shortbread_fanylion

I did that on holiday in Italy many years ago. Ran up a hill next to Lake Como and just kept on going. Ran down and the next few days I could hardly walk from the DOMS in my thighs! How the wife laughed. Too much too soon basically.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@crewlie good effort Mark, that’s a big lump of hill, effectively 3000′ of ascent/descent as it’s from sea level, lots of munros don’t have that much!.

Goatfell is sore on the quads as there’s A LOT of big boulder step downs, I’d recommend going up Beinn Nuis from Rosa or even better, Caisteal Abhail from North Glen Sannox, much easier on the muscles descending IMO (and both have better views!)

Premier Icon crewlie

Hmm, the Castles does sound like a good compromise, I think Nuis might be a bit boggy above Garbh Alt at the moment.
    First though I’ll see if I can make my legs work well enough to get round a flattish 5k without crying too much 😂

Free Member

I think Nuis might be a bit boggy above Garbh Alt at the moment.

It’s never really that bad tbh, tbh I quite enjoy descending the boggy shit!

Free Member

Eilish McColgan running 10 miles in 50.43 at the Great South run is mind blowing btw!!

Free Member

PSA Magic Mountain have a very good sale on Ron Hill stuff.

Mens

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Another mile added on my rehabilitation plan and 10 seconds quicker per mile on a 7 mile run and a PB on section so I’m happy. My legs are **** tonight though.

Premier Icon Pyro

Good work Johndoh!

Went out for a short easy 5km run tonight, a guided headtorch run as part of a little running festival in Ecclesall Woods. A mate who lives nearby came with me, and part way admitted it would be his first ever 5km. He’s been doing C25k but was just in the last stages of it and hadn’t quite got up to the full 5 yet, so his first was in the dark and off road. Well chuffed for him, he moved really well all the way and even the longest climb he was still jogging steadily all the way up.

Premier Icon barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Took a week off to let my shin splint thing settle down. By yesterday, pretty techy and needing to get out there (I’ve been swimming a few times through the week).

So, first trail run in my new Salomons in the afternoon. Took the dog with me, he was running rings around me, bursting pheasants out of the bushes and living the dream. It was raining heavy, mucky and in the trees it had a real atmosphere. Did an easy 5k (Z2 HR) and it was so much fun. You really have to focus on what you’re doing vs the tarmac just pounding away until you’ve hit the time you’re aiming for. My form was very different, shorter quicker stride just due to the uneven terrain, avoiding large lumps of flint and roots.

Really really liked that!

Shin doesn’t seem to hurt this morning, maybe a tiny twinge when walking – might be in my head, but will remain cautious and keep it steady for a while

Premier Icon lunge

Lovely weekend of running here.
    Friday was track league, a cracking 5k thrash. Ran OK, felt I had something in the legs right up until someone attacked me and I just couldn’t hold on. Still got a PB for the distance though so can’t complain to much.
    Saturday was 4 miles to parkrun, a thrash round the course and then 6 miles home.
    Sunday, well, Sunday was a just about perfect LSR. 18 miles at conversational pace on trails I’d not run on before. Autumn has arrived in the midlands and it was beautiful to be out, we even avoided the rain.

Premier Icon root-n-5th

Well done all!

My first marathon was on Sunday in Newport. I’ve done longer runs but knew this would hurt – constant running on tarmac is brutal.

Ran with a friend who couldn’t walk a year ago due to chemotherapy in aid of his hospital. We were doing well and on for a 3:40 when it got tough 10k out. He was a bit broken but we stuck together and got it done in 3:47. A fantastic effort from the man.

I think I could have kept on for a 3:40, that’s not to say it wasn’t hurting. That’s wasn’t the point and teamwork won the day. I had to dig deep and it was mind over body, but we didn’t stop and didn’t walk any of it, constant running.

Really enjoyed the experience, but it’s a relentless run that just goes on and on and on.

Glutes and adductors sore but apart from that all is good in this old body.

Premier Icon lunge

Really enjoyed the experience, but it’s a relentless run that just goes on and on and on.

Fair description of a marathon that is.
    Good work, 3:40 for a first outing is very good going.

Premier Icon Pyro

Anyone else at The OMM this weekend?
    I’m in Medium Score – first OMM but not my first MM. Should be ‘interesting’! 🙂

Premier Icon stcolin
    Free Member

This knee injury is relentless…

Out for another 5k last night. It actually felt okay for the first 2 miles. Got to 3 miles and the pain came back, but this time a sharp shooting pain from the top of the calf into the back of me knee. I was finishing the run so walked back slowly. No pain today, but a bit of tightness. Think it’s time for a scan…

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

Just signed up for my first race in 2022, an ultra in the Sierra Nevada starting in Granada. Going with a bunch of mates, should be good 👍

Premier Icon marksnook

Actually ran twice this week, a couple 4 mile loops, wanted to keep going on last nights 4 mile but running after going out for a meal didnt play well with my guts!
    Imagine I will get a couple more in this week. Tempted to sack off the Saturday bike ride and get a couple hours trail running in.
    Felt good to be back running, I’d missed it for a couple weeks

Premier Icon Pyro

Well, OMM now cancelled so that’s all my bigger races for the year done. Started with two main aims, added OMM in later but happy to have had a decent time at both Great Lakeland 3 Day and Lakes in a Day.

Dropping back on distance now and just keeping the legs spinning over the winter – back to the winter 1hr Orienteering series as my main fun running, first one of the 8-week series was last night in a local park and streets, ran 8.8km over the hour and got a top 25% finish which is pretty good for me.

Oh, if anyone’s interested, I put a blog together from the Lakes in a Day ultra – http://pyrosyard.blogspot.com/2021/10/lakes-in-day-2021.html

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

I did that on holiday in Italy many years ago

Ditto many years ago in Crete. Each morning about 8+ miles up a very hilly route and back again before it got really warm (August) Stood me in good stead the week after I came back I won the county 10000m track champs on an unusually warm day 🙂

Premier Icon BlindMelon
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend 2 in 1 shorts or separate undershorts/shorts combo that have a liner and not briefs with a phone pocket and a zipped pocket on the shorts that aren’t £60

Premier Icon dogbone

yes.

Utility 2-in-1 Short

Ive bought a second pair.

Premier Icon BlindMelon
    Free Member

Perfect thanks

Premier Icon dogbone

Bit late but TCA stuff;

https://tcastore.myshopify.com

Get 15% off all purchases this weekend using the code “MYSTERY””on our website.

Premier Icon turboferret

Not checked this thread for a while as I’ve been on holiday for half-term.  My most amusing/foolish DOMS experience from hills was a few days before the highest profile race I’ve ever participated in.  I qualified for the Half IronMan World Championships in Las Vegas in 2013, and the Tuesday before the Sunday race I took a trip to the Grand Canyon and had a little jog down to the river and back.  The next day after ~1500m of steep descending and back up again, I could barely walk, Thursday was I think worse 😮  Great prep indeed!

Premier Icon jam-bo

small fry compared to some, but set myself a target of 100km a month at the beginning of the year. ticked over 1000km on saturday morning. furthest I’ve ever run in year.

Premier Icon marksnook

@jambo my target for the year was 1000km. Likely to get that done this month. Maybe 1000 miles next year.
    So ran 10k last night, not super fast but really enjoyed it, feel like I’ve got a bit of the love back for running. Went for a 45 minute swim after which was a real nice warm down. I was planning on starting a running streak through November but not sure I want to run on riding days. I think I could but not sure I’m willing to sacrifice losing any ride quality by being tired. Which sort of makes me take a few days off a week

Premier Icon jam-bo

according to strava i’m 12km ahead of pace for 1200km by the end of the year. i’d like to get it done by xmas eve.

Free Member

I usually comfortably hit 1000 miles, I’m heading for just over 500 this year. Lazy bastard.

Premier Icon marksnook

1000 miles works out around 20 a week. Doable but I ride 3 times a week, swim once and do yoga two times! I’m running out of time for it all! With ultra plans for next year things may have to change and I get more time on my feet.
    It’s a tricky balance for sure. I’m a stone mason and some days are very physically exhausting.
    I did swim after my 10k last night so maybe I get more into the double workout thing! I would love to run pre work but it would mean a 4am start to fit it in so not entirely sure I want that!

Viewing 40 posts - 6,321 through 6,360 (of 6,479 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.