Viewing 40 posts - 4,361 through 4,400 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • johndoh
    Free Member

All UK parkrun’s still happening too.

I was wondering this – however I think my local one may actually be cancelled again as the ground is still a mess after all the rain. They ran it last weekend and it was bearable, but we’ve had a load more rain again this week 🙁

lunge

I was wondering this – however I think my local one may actually be cancelled again as the ground is still a mess after all the rain. They ran it last weekend and it was bearable, but we’ve had a load more rain again this week

I’m the Event Director at Dudley and I’m normally reluctant to cancel unless really needed, but I have to say if it had been raining all week I would have been seriously looking at it. However, a dry week and a lot of people asking me to keep it on means we’ll be going ahead unless parkun HQ tell us otherwise overnight.

Spin
    Free Member

Starting to resign myself to Jura not happening, it puts a lot of people from all over in very close proximity for a whole weekend.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Spin, some nice climbs, though one man’s “easy winter climbing” is another mans (well this one’s) teetering upward cautiously holding on for dear life, I’m definitely no climber 🙂

lunge

London Marathon postponed to October according to the BBC.

will
    Free Member

@spin I’m thinking along the same lines too. Typical, my first year being really organised with races entries, and booking weekends etc… Ah well.

Today was one of those perfect runs, bit sketchy (read ice axe and crampons would have been nice) but huge fun, and what a morning.

ta11pau1

Bloody lovely pics there, very jealous.

Hill repeats for me today, my first ever set.

Local hill of 200m and between 4-8% grade, 60 seconds or so at between 4:44-5:15 /km pace, total of 5.5km with the 1.5km warm up/down runs before and after.

Didn’t throw up, which was good! My HR only went up to 150bpm from the recovery walk down the hill where it was down to 110-120bpm, was expecting it to be up into the 160/s at least – but I think I need a longer effort to get it that high – my legs were gone well before my HR was getting really high.

dashed
    Free Member

@ta11pau1 – what are you measuring HR on? I found my optical wrist sensor rubbish for short fast stuff (wouldn’t get about 150bpm for a flat-out park run) but seemed ok for longer stuff (would be up to 180+ on a longer fell run). Got a chest strap thingy (after advice in this thread) and much more consistent…

ta11pau1

I’m using the optical garmin sensor, I do also have a chest strap – however I manually checked my HR when walking back down the hill and it was showing as 119, I counted 30 beats in 15 seconds so it was accurate at that point.

I’ll do the next run wearing the HRM chest strap and compare.

Although my HR on the hill repeats is what I’d normally see for a short effort, I can get up to 170 easily on the bike when climbing but only after a good few minutes of sustained effort.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Garmin optic sensor is utter bollocks for activities, Fine for resting hr.

Was at the gym this week, forgot my chest strap, on the step machine for 100 floors as a warm up before strength session, garmin has me at 75bpm. The sweat was dripping off my eyelids. 🤣

Chest strap would have had me over 150bpm.

When descending on mtb, optic sensor has me off the scale too.

ta11pau1

Yeah that doesn’t sound right – mine has been good when running though – mtb is another matter, the bumps and constant jolts mean it’ll be crap.

I’ll try the strap too (wonder if it can output both to the screen?) but I’m not expecting it to be too far off.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Na, it’ll only use and show one signal, as it calculates other stuff using hr input.

You also have to disable wrist hr before it will pick up chest strap.

ta11pau1

Yeah didn’t think it would do.

I don’t think my watch is inaccurate, I think I was just expecting my HR to be a lot higher at the end of each interval – my breathing certainly was!!

It does well and you can see the warm up run, 6x hill repeats (the first one starts with a higher HR than the others) and then the run home.

75bpm when the sweat is running off your head though, that’s not right 😁 I know optical sensors can vary wildly from person to person.

bob_summers

Well just over 40 (slow) km this week so the ankle is on the mend. Far from ‘reet’ though.

Wondering how many of the FRA’s 50 at 50 races will go ahead. As we’re now locked down in Spain, I’ve rather written off Newlands at Easter as my 2nd consecutive DNS although maybe all this will have blown over by then!

Del

This stuff is dangerous

Sorry, totally ignorant of this. You’d recommend total avoidance? If so, what pain killer?

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I did 3km on the treadmill fine on Thurs, so went out for my first proper run for two weeks today.

Felt sluggish but okay, until about 7km when the knee started to twinge again. Headed home and stopped at 8.6km. Knee flaring up going down the stairs after.

Been doing the physio religiously but I think I can forget the half marathon next Sunday, in the increasingly unlikely event that it goes ahead.

It would be interesting to hear about others’ recovery from runner’s knee.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

75bpm when the sweat is running off your head though, that’s not right 😁 I know optical sensors can vary wildly from person to person.

Aye, that was the worst I’ve seen it. Just out for a run there, it’s fairly similar to yours up there, trends are the right shape, but it’s consistently 15-20 high.

8 minute miles would be 140-145bpm on both chest strap and gym machines, over 160 on watch.

MrSparkle

I hurt myself today… </Johnny Cash>
    The Haworth Hobble. 32 miles over moors above Haworth. I did it last year as prep for the Joss Naylor so I was pretty fit then. It was tough but I did ok and enjoyed it. This year I had nowt to aim for, wasn’t really sure why I even entered it and I’m a less fit and more injured. I was a bit surprised that it went ahead given how many events are cancelled due to Coronavirus and I very nearly didn’t attend myself for that very reason. Anyhoo, after a lot of soul searching I decided to go for it and try to be as safe as I could.
    Long story short – I got round. Not got official time but was over 6 1/2 hours. I was really hurting from about half way and it was a struggle to finish. I think that might be my last Ultra. I was satisfied finishing but there was little pleasure in it. I think I am now just too old and injured for this game now. No complaints, just being realistic.

chestrockwell

I was meant to do my first 10k tomorrow but it was cancelled today. Gaar.

bob_summers

The last one til next year @mrsparkle
    Well done for digging in

Are you talking about ibuprofen @del? I got a bollocking on here for using it in a fell race. Banned in Scottish events iirc.
    I had no idea, I’d actually never taken it before in my life, it was a last resort.

Wally

Half Marathon near me went ahead with modifications. 1hr 56min . Have not run for 4 weeks so pleased with that.

Spin
    Free Member

Banned in Scottish events iirc.

I don’t think there’s any sort of official policy. I think it tends to be based on how different race organisers feel about it.

I’ve seen everything from no mention, through ‘be aware’ to ‘we’ll disqualify on health and safety grounds’.

It poses more of a risk in longer ultra events so they’re more likely to take a hard line.

lotto
    Free Member

Does anyone use an arm band HRM? If so how do you find it for accuracy compared to a chest strap?

Del

Bob, yes. It’s not a regular occurrence but I might take profen on the morning of a ride after a few too many beers the night before. ( I’m a serious athlete, me!)
    Am I setting myself up for real problems?

Spin
    Free Member

Am I setting myself up for real problems?

I’m not convinced you are. There’s evidence that ibuprofen is not great in certain circumstances but nothing I know about occasional use. TBH the beers are probably more of an issue. 🙂

wardee
    Free Member

The problem with NSAIDS such as ibuprofen mainly relates to rhabdomyolysis which is a precursor to kidney failure and death. It’s more of an issue in ultras.

However pain is your bodies way of telling you to stop doing something that is causing damage. Anything that blocks pain during exercise is generally a bad idea regardless of duration.

@ lotto The arm mounted HRM I tried was absolutely useless. The reading was pretty random and would change significantly if I moved the position slightly. It was generally difficult to tell whether it was working till the data was reviewed later. When it wasn’t working the reading might be 10-20 beats out at rest, and would be very slow to change or update. The error would increase at higher heart rates. Also the hrm would often move if I wore clothes with sleeves. Tightening the strap did not help.

Having said that the reason i got it was because chest straps are also poor unless you are hot and sweaty. Trying to base train to maffetone heart rate in a scottish winter is difficult as you don’t sweat enough.
    I also find that static from technical t shirt fabrics can affect the reading on chest straps.

I suspect that arm based hrm’s may also be better in warmer conditions as the veins are nearer to the surface of the arm when hot.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So cycling looks like it will be banned. Do we reckon running will too?

jam-bo

^^^

Source?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Italy and Spain. Only natural UK will follow.

See the injury A&E thread

Daffy

25k for me today. That’s 8k longer than my longest run this year due to a variety of circumstances. Tried to keep it at Z2 and the average Hr was 138, so at 5:30/km I’m fairly happy.

Spin
    Free Member

So cycling looks like it will be banned. Do we reckon running will too?

If you mean events will be cancelled or postponed then that’s already happening.

I don’t think anyone is talking about stopping people going out cycling or running are they?

dashed
    Free Member

I’d be interested in how Spain etc are dealing with the “outdoor activity” side of things? Lots of information on the general lock down, closure of shops etc but what about heading out into the countryside for a run etc? Surely no risk as it’s all about social distancing and I don’t like running where there are lots of other people 😉

alanf
    Free Member

Some mates have been out in Majorca over the weekend for a warmer weather cycling trip.
    They were told yesterday by local police that cycling was not possible and they must return to their accommodation, so it seems that is actively being discouraged in Spain at least.

chakaping
    Free Member

Most of the winter I’ve been troubled by a phleghm problem, regularly hacking into the road as I run.

I’m gonna get **** lynched aren’t I?

lunge

I have the same concern Chakaping.
    With my asthma I often cough quite a lot after I’ve exercised, always have. I’ve suddenly got very self conscious that now when I finish a run I’m red faced, with a runny nose due to the temperature and having a coughing fit.
    Weirdly people don’t want to be around me!

mogrim

I’d be interested in how Spain etc are dealing with the “outdoor activity” side of things? Lots of information on the general lock down, closure of shops etc but what about heading out into the countryside for a run etc?

It’s banned, full stop. Also my health insurance (as a member of a federated club) is null and void for the duration, so if something did happen I’d quite possibly end up with a large medical bill on top of any possible fine for breaking the lockdown. (And @alanf your mates were lucky – they could quite easily have been hit with a 600€ fine each!)

Thank god I’ve got a turbo trainer!

wardee
    Free Member

The whole attitude to sports is different in Spain and Italy. Their entire system is set up to view sport as a health risk.

Even without corona virus measures you are not allowed to participate in sports events without medical sign off to prove that you are fit, just in case you die of a heart attack. If you are deemed unfit, you can’t take part.

In contrast the nhs recognises that exercise brings huge health benefits which outweigh the risks. It actively encourages participation with initiatives like couch to 5k and promotion of park run.

ta11pau1

First ride on a bike for 6 weeks this morning, 10 mile commute to work which includes a 500ft climb – that was a lot easier than normal!

Seems this running lark is paying off! 😁

mogrim

The whole attitude to sports is different in Spain and Italy. Their entire system is set up to view sport as a health risk.

Even without corona virus measures you are not allowed to participate in sports events without medical sign off to prove that you are fit, just in case you die of a heart attack. If you are deemed unfit, you can’t take part.

That’s a massive exagerration and incorrect (at least in Spain) – outside of ultras you don’t have to get a medical sign off for any race I’ve done, and that includes triathlons, MTB, road and running.

marksnook
    Free Member

Physio has suggested I start running again. Advice suggested a couple of runs at 1 mile or so each then building from there. I miss it! A mile is better than nothing I guess!

Viewing 40 posts - 4,361 through 4,400 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.