• This topic has 7,682 replies, 360 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,321 through 4,360 (of 7,683 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

NB are bloody small, Kalenji are too narrow for me.

Just buy whatever trail shoes your brand of choice has cheap on sportshoes.com mate. I like a lot of room in my trail shoes, I’m size 10 in shoes, but go 11.5 on my trail shoes. I’d be at least a 12.5 in NB.

mogrim

NB are bloody small, Kalenji are too narrow for me.

NB sizes may come up small but they’re not particularly narrow IME. (Which may be what you’re saying here, not sure!)

And the Decathlon shoes aren’t that cheap, you can probably get better from other brands if you look around.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Any tips for running shoes that handle muddy trails better than road shoes that don’t cost the earth?

I got a bargain pair of Asics trail shoes from the Asics outlet after reading about it on here.

https://outlet.asics.com/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

NB sizes may come up small but they’re not particularly narrow IME

No, I found them to have plenty room width wise, just short.

Go on sportshoes.com, and filter everything for your size, trail, and cost window. Plenty about that will be around the Kalenji price.

Edit – asics outlet too as above, free delivery and returns.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Edit – asics outlet too as above, free delivery and returns.

And an extra 10% off if you sign up for One-Asics or whatever it’s called. Ended up with a pair of Gecko XT for under £30.

bob_summers

And the Decathlon shoes aren’t that cheap

They work out better in the UK. The MT2 I use is 60GBP, vs 80EUR in Spain – ie same price as last year’s Inov8

mogrim

They work out better in the UK. The MT2 I use is 60GBP, vs 80EUR in Spain – ie same price as last year’s Inov8

That’s what I mean, for the same price you could get last year’s Innov8… They’re cheap, but it’s not like other Decathlon products where the difference in VFM is huge.

alanf
    Free Member

It’s worth going to the outlet shops as sometimes you can drop on a bargain.
    Visited Castleford last week and almost had a pair of my favoured road Shoes (Adios) but they were just too small (£90 off list price and about £50 off general retail price at £41) but I did manage to pick up a pair of Nike Terra Kiger 5 for light trail duties (they are rubbish in thick mud) for £40. The Nike site has them on sale currently at £80. I’ve had the 2’s and 3’s so know they are pretty decent.
    First outing today and seem pretty good and familiar although they do seem to have better grip than the last pair I had so happy with that.

It’s a bit of pot luck whether they have anything suitable in your size, I’ve been before and come away empty handed, but got lucky this time and it was the only pair I could see in the shop and it was my preferred size.

chakaping
    Free Member

Feeling a bit glum as I’ve definitely got runner’s knee and am set to do a half marathon in three weeks.

I was totally fine doing regular 10km runs but when I got up to about 13km the pain would come on. And it’s still lingering eight days after my last run.

I suspect I might need orthotics to correct my wonky legs so I can run further, so plan to see a sport physio next week if poss.

Should I be so pessimistic about making the event I’m booked on?

ta11pau1

Penultimate run of C25K done, although I’m doing my own thing really now. I have the app running to log the run but that’s it.

7.03km / 4.37 miles
    43:36 moving time
    6.12 /km / 9:58 /mile average pace

Oh and my slowest 5k time of 30+ minutes 😁🤣

I’m going to be doing a longer, slower run once a week so started today, went out with a physical hard turn around point I wanted to get to, part way there was feeling good so carried on! I was feeling pretty good at the end, too – I could have gone to 8 or 9, maybe even 10K. The hip flexors were aching a bit at the end though. Average cadence was 160, but upping the pace a little I was able to get closer to 170.

jam-bo

first run back on my standard hilly 5k loop from home for 10 weeks. 28:42 against 25:49min PB.

I’ll take that for nearly 10 weeks off running.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff Jam bo mate, being injured is shit.

Well done Ta11pau1 too!.

bob_summers

@chapaking you’ll definitely get round! Whether you’ll be happy or not with your time is another thing. I was ailing before a lot of races last year but as it was my first season of running I didn’t really care about the times.

Did my first trail run today since the sprain, rather aptly to the place it happened! Predictably, was running really gingerly as I depserately tried not to roll it again. Perfect circumstances for a repeat really, so turned and headed for home after 4k.

chakaping
    Free Member

@chapaking you’ll definitely get round! Whether you’ll be happy or not with your time is another thing. I was ailing before a lot of races last year but as it was my first season of running I didn’t really care about the times.

Thanks, I am reasonably confident I have the fitness to do it anyway and I’m not that fussed about my time, but the knee pain comes on quite quickly after 13k or so and can get bad – which means the latter half could be quite unpleasant.

Anyway, I’m booked to see a physio Monday eve. Hopefully they can screen me for mechanical defects and even supply a remedy.

mogrim

well done tau11pau1 for the C25k – but a warning: I started with that one about 20 years ago, and here I am doing ultras now 🙂

And good luck chakaping, injuries are a right PITA. Ibuprofen and ice will get you through the half, but long term I’d be looking into weights, getting your cadence up (180 is a good target), and making sure your form is reasonable. I’m not a fan of motion-control shoes or whatever, staying light on your feet seems far more effective. But of course YMMV, and I’d certainly follow whatever the physio says as a first option.

ta11pau1

well done tau11pau1 for the C25k – but a warning: I started with that one about 20 years ago, and here I am doing ultras now 🙂

I couldn’t even imagine running a marathon, let alone an ultra! I started C25K to keep my fitness up over winter (which I’m glad I did, haven’t been on the bike for a month!) but I’ll definitely be continuing afterwards. I’ll probably try and make my first parkrun on the 21st March (first Saturday off) and then work on increasing my distances and 5k time 🙂

The running bug has hit me for sure! I helps that the vast majority of friends/colleagues could barely run to the end of the street, makes me feel a happy that I’m doing something to keep in shape.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I couldn’t even imagine running a marathon, let alone an ultra!

I was the exact same as you 2 years ago, 5 ultras down now…. 🤣

lunge

What we all up to this weekend?
    16 or 18 miles with a parkrun in the middle for me tomorrow and then 5 miles Saturday to get me to 45 for the week.
    This is all assuming my hamstring holds up as it was pinging a bit on Wednesday night club run.

Spin
    Free Member

A spot of what I think I’m going to call ‘runtaineering’ tonight. Up and down a couple of easy winter routes on Cairngorm in a sort of hill running style. Splendid fun and nice to get something in before it craps out tomorrow.

loum
    Free Member

Ibuprofen and ice will get you through the half,

Ibuprofen has been linked to some marathon deaths.
    Extra strain on kidneys that are already working hard.
    Have a Google, I’m not expert.
    Seems safer to use paracetamol in small dose if running long distance and save the Ibuprofen for recovery days.

Spin
    Free Member

Ibuprofen has been linked to some marathon deaths.

I thought it was more an issue in ultras. I’m not aware of any evidence of harm to kidneys in shorter races or any deaths due to kidney issues where ibuprofen use had been shown to contribute.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, well known in ultra circles, less so in shorter races.

ta11pau1

Week 9, run 3 of couch to 5k – the final run. I’ve ‘officially’ completed it!

5.64km / 3.5 miles
    31:11 minutes
    5:32 /km / 8:54 /mile average pace
    5k time was a comfortable 27:33

Really happy I’ve done this and surprised at just how comfortable I am running 5k now, I even managed to get my cadence up to 165 average on this run, it was over 165 for a good 2/3rds too.

So, what next? 10k and trying to get my 5k time down I reckon. 1x 5k run at ‘tempo’ (so I think about 5:15 /km for me, will do some reading up), 1x hill repeat session, and 1x longer, slower run – starting at 6k going from there 😁

jam-bo

2 runs in three days with no massive after effects. Ankle is sore while running but seems to settle down after.

Gave it a good test today…

flyingmonkeycorps

Well I’ve been off this thread for a while cos I’ve not been running… MrsMonkey, MiniMonkey and I have been tag-teaming being ill for months, plus the weather’s been minging and I’ve not managed to get out. Was meant to be biking today, but that got scuppered due to MrsMonkey being poorly; I downgraded to taking the BMX down the skatepark but then it started to rain.

I nearly sacked it all off for sitting at home getting fatter like I have been doing for the last few months, opened up STW and saw this thread. ‘Right’, I thought. ‘Time to stop procrastinating’. Got my running kit on and went out for a couple of miles.

Wheezed my way around in 9.50 miles which is atrociously slow compared to folk on here, but I ran (jogged) it and felt a lot better for it.

All I need to do now is get back into the habit of at least a couple of times a week.

marksnook
    Free Member

Been watching this thread for a while. Was really starting to enjoy running and feeling comfy at the 10k mark. However had some serious knee problems the last few months. Really harsh knee pain when I lift my leg when running. Get the same pain when climbing down ladders/stairs in work and riding is becoming a problem too. My knee just seems to randomly buckle with sharp shooting pains which sucks!
    Physio thinks it’s meniscus, got some quad strengthening exercises used to do but it’s killing me now being able to get out!
    Anyone had similar?
    Will try and keep up with the thread now!

bob_summers

Mark, I had a buckling knee a while back. Accompanied by shooting pains down the outside of the calf. The knee wouldn’t fully bend either, couldn’t crouch properly for example.
    Physio seemed to think it was an aggravated popliteal muscle, pressing on the tibial nerve. Prescribed neurodynamics exercises to ease the nerve as it passes through the knee. It has improved, not fully though. Twinges after running and after not moving for a while.

Jambo, looks ideal for the ankle. I ran today, 12k but mostly walking tbh. The roots and rocks made me nervous about rolling the ankle again, and the contouring was just miserable so I just walked the last few k. Trying to keep on top of the rehab exercises but despairing at the fitness that’s gone down the pan.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

How did you get on Spin in the Cairngorms? Mostly decent conditions at the weekend (was up Sunday/Monday)

bob_summers

Great pics @eastcoastmike

Was getting despondent about the ankle and ran the 10k lunchtime loop around work (hilly) which I used to do when I first started running. Knocked 3min off my PB, so while I’ve lost loads of fitness, I’m still a bit faster than when I started 😅

chakaping
    Free Member

Went to physio Monday, definitely had runner’s knee.

Painful massage eased things off considerably and my prescribed exercises seem to be working well.

Two weeks since I last ran, but will do 20 mins or so on the treadmill tomorrow lunch as an initial test.

ta11pau1

First day of the rest of my running life today, a nice easy 7k in 43 minutes – which was both 10 seconds /km faster and at the same or less effort than my 7k run on Friday!

The only thing I getting is some sore hip flexors starting after about 4k, I’m putting that down to me increasing my cadence and doing longer runs, meaning more steps. They’re nowhere near as bad as after the last 7k run though.

I may do some hill repeats tomorrow after work… 😳

marksnook
    Free Member

Still in pain, crashed at risca riding last week so that’s slowed my progress with knee rehab (kneehab?!) got physio Saturday so hoping he can magic it better!
    I’m kind of glad for all the bad weather we’ve had as running hasn’t been on top priority. Want to get back out, might try some light trail stuff next week if the knee feels ok

lunge

Playing with shoes recently.
    I’ve always run in “normal” running shoes, Nike Pegasus, Asics Cumulus, that kind of thing, good, cushioned training shoes.
    I thought I’d treat myself to some “racing” shoes, and as I can’t afford/justify Vaporfly’s thought I’d go old skool and get some flats, Nike Streaks.
    And wow, they feel amazing! Not sure I’d want to run a marathon in them but they felt so fast, so light and my speed compared to perceived effort was good too.
    My shoe habit was bad enough already, this discovery along with a recent dalliance in track work is not going to help my bank balance.

Spin
    Free Member

How did you get on Spin in the Cairngorms?

I did the Twin Ribs into Fiacaill Ridge, down Coire Domhain, up Serrated Rib and down Aladdin’s Couloir if those names mean anything to you? Sort of easy winter climbing in a hill running style.

Didn’t get any photos as nice as yours though!

mogrim

Ibuprofen and ice will get you through the half

Sorry,should have been clearer with that comment – I didn’t mean during the race itself, I meant in the run up to it. As has been pointed out there is a risk in taking it during long sustained efforts.

Anyway this weekend I’m not sure what I’ll be doing – I’d normally be arranging to meet up with mates, but with the coronavirus most of us are trying to limit social events, which means running with company is probably out of the question. So I’ll probably head off to one of the local hills – enough climbing to make it worthwhile, but not as risky as heading out solo in the mountains.

MrSparkle

I have just had confirmation from the organiser that Saturdays Haworth Hobble 32 mile Ultra will be going ahead as planned.

FFS…

Spin
    Free Member

Yorkshire three Peaks fell race now rescheduled for the day after the Three Peaks CX. Interesting for people like me who like to do both!

highlandman
    Free Member

D33 ultra in Aberdeen is going ahead as planned tomorrow, although I’ll be restricting ‘physical contact’ between runners and among the event team as much as possible.

Unfortunately, we’ve felt obliged to cancel the Highland Fling ultra in late April. With almost a thousand runners doing 53 miles and a very large event team, it’s simply impossible to operate an event of that complexity and scale safely in this climate. There is no way to avoid having many hundreds of people in the same space in that sort of event structure. We’ll be back next year..
    I still hope to have both the Cateran and West Highland Way races go ahead, along with a handful of smaller Highland races this summer. However, it is possible that any of these may have to go if we cannot reasonably reduce risks in the way that we structure every aspect of the organisation.

As for Ibuprofen, I’d respectfully ask all runners to do their best to avoid the product altogether. Occasional, brief use for an acute problem well away from days of hard exertion is quite low risk but as the use becomes more frequent, risks rise significantly. Complicating rhabdomyolysis in sick ultra athletes is only one aspect and I’ve had to treat dozens of runners in partial or complete kidney failure over the years. Ibuprofen slows down fracture healing significantly (a bit of a blow if you’re trying to repair your metatarsal micro-fractures) and also has cardiac impacts that link significant lifetime use with an increased risk of heart failure. It’s that simple. This stuff is dangerous and it might even struggle to get an over the counter licence if it were to be introduced today.

bikebouy
    Free Member

QECP races are still being run… which is nice.

lunge

All UK parkrun’s still happening too.
    I’m planning a long-ish solo run, RDing at parkun whilst trying to keep everyone a few metres away from me and then a long run home too.
    Then a birthday party, and who knows how that will go…!

Viewing 40 posts - 4,321 through 4,360 (of 7,683 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts