• This topic has 4,481 replies, 202 voices, and was last updated 3 hours ago by stever.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,401 through 4,440 (of 4,482 total)
  • The Running 2020 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Ibuprofen & all NSAID use has been banned in Scottish ultras for several years and is discouraged in general in other distance running events.
    Football training advice is beginning to recognise the problem at last but cycling seems to be slow to catch on as yet.
    At any of the main Scottish ultras, if you are found to be in possession of any such products, you will be removed from the event unless you have prior approval from the event team medic.
    Outwith exercise, the comments above are accurate; best avoided and lifetime regular use, for say arthritic problems or repeated injuries does increase your risk of worsening heart problems. Once you recognise the list of issues and contra-indications it’s best avoided altogether.

You may use paracetamol at races but again, if you’re that sore to really need it, should you be running..? That’s a decision only you can make.

will

Jura cancelled. Gutted.

On the other had, had a superb run on Saturday, doing all the Grahams (2,000ft to 2,500ft) around Luss (17 miles + 9,300ft of climbing) Not one single path. Hard going, but it was awesome. Did it in just under 6 hours in winter conditions, poor vis and a few nav errors. Reckon there is an hour to be saved come summer.

Route here: https://www.strava.com/activities/3182417361

Only issue we had, well, we actually missed the 5th Graham by about 200m. Pretty annoying to see that in the pub at the end ha! Another reason to go back and do it though.

Hopefully common sense will prevail. For instance running or riding solo early morning or in the evening should limit contact with others.

How could they stop people who run/ride to work anyway? Getting on packed bus or train would be far worse.

wardee

@mogrim I’ve only taken part in ultras and sky running events in spain and italy, but was under the impression that the requirement for medical sign off was much more general than that with heart defects in footballers, being one of the major concerns.

Maybe Spain and Italy are different.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

I don’t think my watch is inaccurate, I think I was just expecting my HR to be a lot higher at the end of each interval – my breathing certainly was!!

So, I may have to take that back…

Tracked my 10 mile ride to and from work today with both my forerunner 245 and my wahoo tickr chest strap (connected to my wahoo bolt). It wasn’t a rought ride, was 98% tarmac so no more bumpy than running.

Here’s both HRM tracks – Tickr strap on top, forerunner 245 optical on the bottom:

There’s some (most!) bits where I’m at 150+bpm and the garmin is at 120, or less. I thought it might have been due to it being 2-3 degrees, but on the way home, it was the same – constantly about 20bpm under the chest strap, and not keeping up with the spikes in HR.

On the plus side, my wahoo tickr chest strap will connect to both watch and gps at the same time so that’s a bonus when riding. I’ll use the tickr strap for running from now on.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

All parkrun’s in the UK now cancelled until early April.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Damn, was going to go to my first one on Saturday. Thought they might get cancelled though.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Well in the absence of a parkrun on Saturday, went for a 5k run this afternoon, started out with an aim of 5:20 /km or better pace, was feeling comfortable slightly below that and ended up running a pb 5k of 25:39! 😁

Well happy with that, sub 25 min 5k should be doable in a couple of months (so long as running doesn’t get banned!).

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Nice 15k hack around QECP this morning, plenty of dog walkers out too..

Popped out for half an hour this evening – no dog walkers out, which was good.

I’ll be getting out as much as I can, before we go full lockdown.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Unofficial club run tonight. Not a club run, as they’re not allowed but a ew of us met at the same time as ever and did a slow 8 miles. Weird atmosphere around but good to be out in the fresh air.

Premier Icon bob_summers
    Subscriber

Get them in while you can.
    No running for us probably until after Easter in Spain. Best dig out the turbo.

As suspected, flights out cancelled so the Newlands was off for me but looks like it wouldn’t have gone ahead, FRA advising race organisers to cancel (I assume advising means ordering).

I rode to work and back today, which is not prohibited but I felt rather antisocial so I’ll have to think about WFM.

Best of luck Bob, I’ll resort to kettlebells and HIIT if the expected lockdown comes.

Reckon it’s about 50 yards round my garden. Laps. Ooft. 🤣

Spin

As suspected, flights out cancelled so the Newlands was off for me but looks like it wouldn’t have gone ahead, FRA advising race organisers to cancel (I assume advising means ordering).

Aye, no way it would have run, everything else is off.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Subscriber

Well done @ta11pau1, nothing like a PB to cheer you up in uncertain times 🙂

Like @bob_summers I’m stuck at home, with no running 🙁 Still, using the turbo everyday seems to be helping to keep the weight off, so hopefully if and when we get to head out again it won’t be as bad as it could be!

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I’m going to carry on running outside, whatever happens. Think all this fuss will have greater impact on mental health which is longer lasting than a bit of flu.

marksnook

Physio has told me to start running again, only a couple runs a week at around a mile each was his advice
    Knee pain is easing so hoping I can build some distance back up. Not planning on doing much riding over the coming months incase I crash and all that

dashed

So far UK guidance is to keep exercising (maintaining social distancing) which I hope continues – the longer term impacts of a nation sat on their sofas for 14 weeks hardly bear thinking about! If we do go into full lockdown then I’ve still got 2 dogs to walk – which I’ll obviously be doing at a brisk pace in shorts and trainers…

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

What if dogs aren’t allowed out ?

Honestly.

Just keep running outside and take normal precautions.

🤷‍♂️

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Just mind where you blow your snot rockets 😁

Mind you I tend to wait until there’s no-one else around anyway.

marksnook

I’ve got a beard so any snot rockets have kind of been caught before they leave my personal space! Or I’m no good at snot rockets, either way!

Taking the dog out while running might be the only thing to keep me sane!

alanf

I’ve had one of our dogs out at lunch time for a run. He’s a little shit and is seemingly getting a bit unfit as I had to drag him round quite e a bit of the run. He soon perked up when he saw another dog though (his modus operandi – he loves to think he’s top dog and will let everyone know he is, despite the fact that he patently isn’t). One of the problems I’m finding with people being off work / working from home / self isolating etc is that they are now out and about when they normally aren’t and I seem to be falling over them – so much for social distancing!

surfer

Outdoors (or even indoor) exercise isnt an option for me. Fell at the weekend whilst skiing and ski stayed on….. Meaning boot bent towards my shin with force and tore my calf muscle…. lower leg, even ankle multiple colours and moving around is very painful. hohum

whitestone

Some of you may know that I’m involved with the Bob Graham Club. We’ve been asked about whether attempts on the Round should go ahead so we’ve come up with some guidance which may be found at http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/

At the moment that’s probably the least worst solution.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Another hill repeats session, this time with a HR strap.

Much better for HRM, 120bpm recovery just before starting the interval, 170+bpm at the end.

With optical sensor I was peaking at 156, so nearly 20bpm higher! Only issue is my garmin is now saying my fitness is going down… No, it’s just my heart rate is now more accurate!

Works both ways for me, reads low when in bursting myself, but reads high when I’m out for a sociable trot with the wife. Odd.*

*that was on vivoactive 3, vivoactive 4 arrived yesterday, seems to be more accurate, although I’ve only tried it on the turbo, Joe wicks workouts, and 30 laps of the garden! 🤣

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

The strap is without a doubt more accurate, and faster to pick up changes, I wear it when cycling so it doesn’t bother me and it’s pretty comfy.

172bpm felt much more like it for peak HR, was properly blowing on the final 2 intervals!!

ElShalimo

PSA – 15% off at Pete Bland Sports.

Ends tonight – use MAR15 code

I might have just bought some Inov-8 shoes

😎

ElShalimo

It seems to work on all items including sale items

Nipped up the old public school for a run at tea time, 24 laps is 5k, quite good actually to get a rhythm going.

Slightly better than 86 laps of the garden! 😂

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

From the ‘one a day’ thread, I did my first trail run on Saturday, 8.75km. I’m a convert!

I will definitely be doing trail runs for my longer/slower runs, was pretty fresh at the end so 10k within the next 2-3 weeks shouldn’t be an issue.

Also did a 5k ‘tempo’ run this morning before work, 25:49 for 5k which is 10 seconds slower than my PB – and I had a couple of walk rests for 20 seconds or so mid run!! Yet was able to push it to 4:30 /km pace for the last 200m!

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

Good work Paul! Looks like you’re progressing faster than I am!
    Heeding the ‘don’t drive to exercise’ line ( rights and wrongs to one side ) I ran from home last night. Fortunately overcast and a bit nippy so not too many people about. It’s pretty flat compared to what has become normal for me since Xmas, of around 75 or 100m climbing in 30 mins. Was pleased to do 25.06 for 5k and 40m short of 6k in 30 mins. Would have been nice to break those, but it leaves me a target for Thursday. 🙂
    Dull route though 🙁

Premier Icon gilesmartin81
    Subscriber

First run in 10 years today, 2.5 miles done and still a turbo trainer session to do this afternoon. If one thing positive happens from lockdown i will be fitter at the end hopefully.

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

Howdy runners, joggers & shufflers. Hope you’re finding some comfort via the trail and trainer? Almost 3 weeks off with a bug (that one? who knows?). Tried a 2 mile shuffle after 2 weeks and falling asleep on the couch. Left it another week. Boy was I grateful to get back out and empty my head. Though the trails weren’t empty. Brilliant to see new people out exercising, there’s a certain irony there I’m sure but terrific people have an outlet. Lucky to have forest/hill on my doortstep.

Enjoying the elaborate dances you sometimes get to maintain the 2m – diving into hedges, radiusing round each other, sliding down dusty banks. Now poking fun at myself at the daft efforts to maintain an unbroken set of monthly ‘2000m climbing challenges’. I always tell people getting into it to forget about watches and stats …except me 🙂

Stay strong everyone, enjoy your run, just keep away from me 🙂

Premier Icon bob_summers
    Subscriber

Cheers Stever!
    Locked down since March 15th with about another 2 weeks looking likely unless it gets pushed back again. No govt sanctioned exercise allowed here, so combined with the ankle sprain in Jan means I’ve barely run this year, not that it matters as everything I entered is cancelled now (except a trail mara in June but I really doubt that’ll go ahead).
    I’m forcing myself to ride turbo for 45 mins a day and even that’s a struggle, but I would like to come out of this at least able to run up the hill to my local trail loop, so that’s the carrot. Infernal contraption. Haven’t even got a garden I can run round!

Stay safe all

Dreadmill arriving tomorrow. 🙂

Hob Nob

Well since this implosion of the world, over the past 3 weeks, i’ve run every weekday morning with the dog, somewhere between 5 & 10km. She’s 18 months old now so a good age & it forces me to do something i’m definitely not a fan of. I can run at a reasonable pace, but I still stick it in the same camp as road riding (i.e. not fun) but it is keeping me sane, whilst stuck at a desk all day at home, working.

I bloo*y well better be fitter by the end of this all. Doing weights 3 times a week & still riding at the weekends.

Now if only I can find a way to padlock the kitchen, to stop grazing.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Subscriber

Dreadmill arriving tomorrow.

Nice, wish I had one!

Good stuff hobnob!

An hour-ish of HIIT every day for me, I’ll defo be all round fitter, mibbe running will suffer a bit, but I’ll get that back.

Mogrim, I managed to get one of the few argos had left for delivery, £280, I’m not expecting it to be great, but it’ll keep the wife happier. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 4,401 through 4,440 (of 4,482 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.